PDA

View Full Version : That's why we called him LTP...

Randar68
08-30-2004, 04:19 PM
Hit the longest HR in US Cellular/Comiskey history, a 504 foot blast to right-center that cleared the bleachers and landed in the middle of the concourse.

He then proceeded to get rung-up his next 3 AB's, but who cares, chicks dig the long ball, right?

Aidan
08-30-2004, 04:19 PM
Joe Borchard's 504 foot shot today against the Phillies was the longest home run ever hit in U.S. Cellular Field.

OurBitchinMinny
08-30-2004, 04:21 PM
well I guess he was worth that signing bonus. .160 hitter who K's as much as valentin, but at least he can hit the occasional moon shot

santo=dorf
08-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Joe Borchard's 504 foot shot today against the Phillies was the longest home run ever hit in U.S. Cellular Field.:angry:

:hurt

"Hey Borchard! Bring you and your best aluminum bat at sundown."

balke
08-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Hit the longest HR in US Cellular/Comiskey history, a 504 foot blast to right-center that cleared the bleachers and landed in the middle of the concourse.

He then proceeded to get rung-up his next 3 AB's, but who cares, chicks dig the long ball, right?

I would love to see that guy get in a rhythm. Think he'll always suck this bad?

Baby Fisk
08-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Still...

http://store1.yimg.com/I/stagefright_1805_84496949

You go, Light Tower!

JGarlandrules20
08-30-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm so mad I missed it! I haven't seen a replay yet...

Blueprint1
08-30-2004, 04:29 PM
I just happend to be in the lunch room when the HR was hit. I really was like HOLY S*** did you guys just see that HR. That was a blast. It was funny the place was pretty empty so you could see people from the right field seats running up the stairs to try to get to the HR.

pudge
08-30-2004, 04:38 PM
but who cares, chicks dig the long ball, right?
Don't forget Ron Schu and Kenny Williams too!

nordhagen
08-30-2004, 04:45 PM
So typical Borchard to blast one and then look sick in his next three ABs. But hey, at least he did something. I'd take a few more 300-foot singles now and then.

Ed Farmer mentioned his power being like Luzinski, Kittle, Beltin Bill Melton and Dave Nicholson, who once hit one over the roof and into the park behind the Old Comiskey in the mid-60s. Like Borchard has been so far, Nicholson was a big bonus-baby bustout whose occasional long homers were overshadowed by a stockpile of strikeouts.

Mots09
08-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Typical of this lineup. Strikeout 3 times, but at least he hit a towering HR. That is what was wrong with our lineup the whole damn year.....

:angry:

Randar68
08-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Typical of this lineup. Strikeout 3 times, but at least he hit a towering HR. That is what was wrong with our lineup the whole damn year.....

Relax, people. The season's over. Take your :prozac and settle down, watch the young guys play, and let football season get underway.

Flight #24
08-30-2004, 04:55 PM
You know, I gotta say, while he's not there yet, I think Joe's inching closer to being decent. He's had a number of hard hit outs over the past week, and I've seen him taking a lot more pitches (i.e. demonstrating improved strize zone judgement. Those bode well because if he can hit .250, I think he'll likely hit 30+HR. That at least would make him serviceable (or tradeable).

Randar68
08-30-2004, 04:58 PM
You know, I gotta say, while he's not there yet, I think Joe's inching closer to being decent. He's had a number of hard hit outs over the past week, and I've seen him taking a lot more pitches (i.e. demonstrating improved strize zone judgement. Those bode well because if he can hit .250, I think he'll likely hit 30+HR. That at least would make him serviceable (or tradeable).
He's definitely made more frequent solid contact than in the past. I'm hoping he zeros in and turns the corner.

jabrch
08-30-2004, 05:07 PM
I have seen a lot of RoofTop shots at Old Comiskey. I saw Sosa's HR on Kenmore last year. This ball that Borch hit was the hardest hit ball I have ever seen. Wait til you see the replay, it is impressive.

Jurr
08-30-2004, 05:32 PM
People said Rowand wouldn't ever be good, either

santo=dorf
08-30-2004, 05:34 PM
People said Rowand wouldn't ever be good, either
Rowand isn't a football player.

Randar68
08-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Rowand isn't a football player.Because no football player has amounted to anything in baseball... *COUGH* Frank Thomas... *COUGH*

jabrch
08-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Because no football player has amounted to anything in baseball... *COUGH* Frank Thomas... *COUGH*

*COUGH* Bo Jackson *COUGH*

idseer
08-30-2004, 05:54 PM
*COUGH cough* dion ... *cough cough sneeze!! snerrffff ack cough * aww .... forget it.

Randar68
08-30-2004, 05:57 PM
*COUGH cough* dion ... *cough cough sneeze!! snerrffff ack cough * aww .... forget it.
Adam Dunn? Ok, yeah, the point's been made. Funny, though, idseer.

Jjav829
08-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Adam Dunn? Ok, yeah, the point's been made. Funny, though, idseer.Todd Helton wasn't a bad QB. Darin Erstad even though he was a punter. The list goes on. :smile:

pudge
08-30-2004, 06:31 PM
As much as people dogged Rowand, never in his career do I remember him looking as ugly as Borchard... as a matter of fact, I never thought Rowand looked all that flawed at the plate... whereas Borchard looks downright awful.

pudge
08-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Relax, people. The season's over. Take your :prozac and settle down, watch the young guys play, and let football season get underway.

I would never blame someone for being upset at another lost season for a franchise that hasn't won in 80 some years.

HomeFish
08-30-2004, 07:16 PM
504 feet, eh?

A positive note to send him back to AAA on.

Evman5
08-30-2004, 07:17 PM
What does LTP actually stand for.....I guess I missed the annointing! :smile:

Jjav829
08-30-2004, 07:26 PM
Light Tower Power.

batmanZoSo
08-30-2004, 07:29 PM
As much as people dogged Rowand, never in his career do I remember him looking as ugly as Borchard... as a matter of fact, I never thought Rowand looked all that flawed at the plate... whereas Borchard looks downright awful.
That's exactly the thing. Didn't Rowand look like a future stud when he came up in 2001? I thought he'd be our starting center fielder when he came up hitting and making some nice catches. I gave up on him at one time but ultimately I was right. For now that is. Next year he still has to prove he's no fluke.

Borchard I think will be a bust. If he does pan out, I know the type of player he's going to be--.260 at best, 38 homers, 170 so. I don't want him either way. I know if he puts up those numbers the Sox are keeping him to justify the bonus, but I'll just go on the record right now. You don't win with guys like that. Not unless they're like Thome and walk 100 times and carry a .400 obp to offset the strikeouts, while hitting 45-50 homers. I do not see Borchard walking 100 times or sniffing .400.

DumpJerry
08-30-2004, 07:30 PM
What does LTP actually stand for.....I guess I missed the annointing! :smile:I was wondering, too. "Long Term Prospect?" "Less Than Perfect?" "Lonely Tipsy Player?" "Little Too Prim?"

batmanZoSo
08-30-2004, 07:40 PM
I was wondering, too. "Long Term Prospect?" "Less Than Perfect?" "Lonely Tipsy Player?" "Little Too Prim?"
Lose That Punk, Lighten The Payroll, Lovie's Top Prospect

Randar68
08-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Joe hit HR's over the light tower at Stanford hitting both RH'd and LH'd in the same game.

Light Tower Power.

Lem_Siddons
08-30-2004, 08:44 PM
I may break my self imposed ban in ESPN just to see that shot.

SOXSINCE'70
08-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Still...

You go, Light Tower!
Does LTP stand for "Light Tower Power"??

santo=dorf
08-30-2004, 09:02 PM
Because no football player has amounted to anything in baseball... *COUGH* Frank Thomas... *COUGH*Fine. Rowand isn't a quarterback. With the exception of Tood Helton, anymore good QB/MLB players?

Randar68
08-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Fine. Rowand isn't a quarterback. With the exception of Tood Helton, anymore good QB/MLB players?
Let me see.... I got something right here... oh yeah. It's a straw! Grasp at some more of them... give it up.

cubhater
08-30-2004, 10:06 PM
I would love to see that guy get in a rhythm. Think he'll always suck this bad?
Yes.:(:

mantis1212
08-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Joe hit HR's over the light tower at Stanford hitting both RH'd and LH'd in the same game.

Light Tower Power.
I heard Harold Reynolds use this phrase to describe someone else (or at least their homers) during baseball tonight. The other guys didn't get it, Harold had to explain. I wonder if that's a coincidence or has this phrase been used many times before...

DSpivack
08-31-2004, 12:03 AM
I have seen a lot of RoofTop shots at Old Comiskey. I saw Sosa's HR on Kenmore last year. This ball that Borch hit was the hardest hit ball I have ever seen. Wait til you see the replay, it is impressive.
Just from seeing on tv, hitting one on Kenmore is pretty darn far. But still not far as Glenallen Hill, methinks. That thing was ridiculous. I saw McGwire hit one into the McDonald's section in St. Louis [they put it up there after he hit it there].

Jerko
08-31-2004, 08:14 AM
Well, I figured with Borchard up it would be an opportune time to get a nice nacho loaded with cheese and peppers out of the tray and that I wouldn't miss anything. As I am negotiating a pepper onto the chip, I hear a loud smack of bat on ball but I couldn't pick it up right away; I saw people get up so I yelled "stretch"; then I saw everyone looking back into the concourse; my buddy yells "there it is" and the damn thing bounced right in front of us (behind a chained-off section that is usually saved for wheelchair access). I went to play it on the bounce off of the back wall but it landed in a doorway and some little kid wiped out, spilled his slushee or whatever he had, and got the ball. If you saw the replay, Jerko was one of the 3 idiots chasing the ball to no avail. The longest damn homer in the history of the park bounced right over my damn head. My buddy or I would have had it on the rebound but when it went into that doorway we were SOL. Oh well.

cubhater
08-31-2004, 08:28 AM
Well, I figured with Borchard up it would be an opportune time to get a nice nacho loaded with cheese and peppers out of the tray and that I wouldn't miss anything. As I am negotiating a pepper onto the chip, I hear a loud smack of bat on ball but I couldn't pick it up right away; I saw people get up so I yelled "stretch"; then I saw everyone looking back into the concourse; my buddy yells "there it is" and the damn thing bounced right in front of us (behind a chained-off section that is usually saved for wheelchair access). I went to play it on the bounce off of the back wall but it landed in a doorway and some little kid wiped out, spilled his slushee or whatever he had, and got the ball. If you saw the replay, Jerko was one of the 3 idiots chasing the ball to no avail. The longest damn homer in the history of the park bounced right over my damn head. My buddy or I would have had it on the rebound but when it went into that doorway we were SOL. Oh well.
I can relate to your story. I went to the LF concourse for a quick smoke and told my buddy in our seats to hold onto my glove. ARod then hit one right to me, didn't have to move an inch. I stuck my hands up, the ball hit my palm, and landed behind me where some kid got it in a scramble. If I only brought my glove!!! Dammit!!

cubhater
08-31-2004, 08:30 AM
Oh boy! Now we can mention Joe Borchard in the same breath with Dan Pasqua!:redneck

dan
08-31-2004, 10:00 AM
That home run borchard hit was so incredible. I think that even if he hits .150 he deserves a roster spot. That kind of moonshot is stuff only bonds and dunn can do.:smile: simply amazing.

skobabe8
08-31-2004, 10:25 AM
That home run borchard hit was so incredible. I think that even if he hits .150 he deserves a roster spot. That kind of moonshot is stuff only bonds and dunn can do.:smile: simply amazing.
It was impressive, but if he wants to play everyday he cant hit .150 . I thought after that hr, he would have tons of confidence and have a great day at the plate. Wrong! He went 0-3 with 3 K's. Theres already one Jose Valentin too many on this team. We don't need another.

I'm all in favor of playing Joe in rf the remainder of the year. But I dont want him around next year if all he's gonna do is bat less than his weight and strike out 140 times, just to see him hit one on the Dan Ryan once in a while.

skobabe8
08-31-2004, 10:30 AM
I was screaming at my TV, "Come on man, move your a**! Ditch the nachos! Get the ball!"

gosox41
08-31-2004, 11:15 AM
Oh boy! Now we can mention Joe Borchard in the same breath with Dan Pasqua!:redneck

Must be the pot.

Bob

Baby Fisk
08-31-2004, 11:20 AM
It was impressive, but if he wants to play everyday he cant hit .150 . I thought after that hr, he would have tons of confidence and have a great day at the plate. Wrong! He went 0-3 with 3 K's. Theres already one Jose Valentin too many on this team. We don't need another.

I'm all in favor of playing Joe in rf the remainder of the year. But I dont want him around next year if all he's gonna do is bat less than his weight and strike out 140 times, just to see him hit one on the Dan Ryan once in a while.:crede
"Don't forget me! I will deliver one hit per every four at bats, guaranteed!"

HITMEN OF 77
08-31-2004, 11:44 AM
When is that 12 year old kid going to put the Borchard ball on eBay? I want it!

Jerko
08-31-2004, 11:46 AM
I don't know; Sox personnell were looking for him to make a "trade" so he may not even have the ball anymore.

Baby Fisk
08-31-2004, 11:58 AM
When is that 12 year old kid going to put the Borchard ball on eBay? I want it!From today's Cubune:

The ball Borchard hit was retrieved and will be put in the Sox Hall of Fame, in the main concourse behind home plate. No word on how many churros were dealt for the ball.

santo=dorf
08-31-2004, 12:05 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040830&content_id=842708&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

A 12-year-old fan from Chicago emerged with the baseball, dropping his 'Icee' to catch the carom off the back wall. After the game, the young fan traded the 504-foot home run ball for a Borchard autographed baseball.
KW DOES IT AGAIN!!!!! Boy is that a one-sided trade.

TommyJohn
08-31-2004, 12:34 PM

Funny, I touted Borchard a couple of times on this website as the "next Dave
Nicholson" and not for good reasons I might add. So what happens? He hits
the longest home run in the history of New Comiskey. And the guy who hit the
longest (or should I say, alleged longest) home run in the history of Old
Comiskey? None other than Dave Nicholson. So you see? My prediction came
true.

Jjav829
08-31-2004, 01:36 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040830&content_id=842708&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

I would have held out for a Timo Perez autograph at least. :smile: A Joe Borchard signed baseball? Come on. Make them give you a bat or a jersey or something.

DumpJerry
08-31-2004, 04:42 PM

KW DOES IT AGAIN!!!!! Boy is that a one-sided trade. that's why KW gets the good money!

Now for his next trick, Crede for Beltre.......why not? One third baseman for another.....:smile:

SoxFan76
08-31-2004, 04:47 PM

:D: :D: :D:

LOL, he lost an Icee for a Joe Borchard autographed ball?!?!?!?!?!?

Foulke29
08-31-2004, 05:16 PM
Still...

You go, Light Tower!
I think there really was an X-file opened on this guy.

:dtroll:

LongLiveFisk
08-31-2004, 05:24 PM

This chick would dig a batting average above the Mendoza line a hell of a lot more.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-31-2004, 05:35 PM

:hurt

"Hey Borchard! Bring you and your best aluminum bat at sundown."

:nandrolone

"Can i com to? i have cork bat!!!"

Lip Man 1
08-31-2004, 06:43 PM
Sounds like the kid got the short end of the deal. I mean an Icee is worth far more then a Joe Slabotnik...er I mean Joe Borchard autograph.

Lip

shingotime10
08-31-2004, 08:00 PM
There Should Be A Mark Where Borchards Hr Landed

idseer
08-31-2004, 08:08 PM
yeah. great idea. maybe they should make such a big deal about it that EVERYone tries to break it!! yeah. let's honor this .160 hitter. :rolleyes:

shingotime10
08-31-2004, 08:09 PM
I WAS AT THIS GAME WHEN BORCHARD HIT THE HOMER :neener: :bandance:

cwsox
08-31-2004, 08:28 PM
Dave Nicholson, who once hit one over the roof and into the park behind the Old Comiskey in the mid-60s. Like Borchard has been so far, Nicholson was a big bonus-baby bustout whose occasional long homers were overshadowed by a stockpile of strikeouts.
Every once in a while I see a post maybe from my vintage of Sox fandom - quite an apt observation, by the way, totally right on.

batmanZoSo
08-31-2004, 08:28 PM
For being the biggest homer I've ever seen a Sox player hit, from the center field view his swing and the trajectory off the bat did not look at all like the no-doubter it was. Usually with a monster homer it's a total cookie and the hitter just waits and unloads on it, and usually takes a second to admire it. But he was like running out of the box when he swung. To be honest I was thinking gapper at first. But then it took forever to land and I was searching the crowd but couldn't see anything. Then you just see a ball bouncing on the walkway. I couldn't believe one could hit one on the concourse over that particular section where the bullpen used to be. Chavez hit the walkway once but he really pulled it. This one was ungodly.

cwsox
08-31-2004, 08:33 PM
I WAS AT THIS GAME WHEN BORCHARD HIT THE HOMER :neener: :bandance:

I was at a game in maybe 1971 when Bee Bee Richard hit a home run.

Trust me, years from now, no one will believe it ever happened.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2004, 10:24 PM
From the Jim Landis WSI Interview:

ML: Hereís a guy who had tremendous talent but never realized it, Dave Nicholson (1963 - 1965)

JL: "Dave fought it to hard. He was a young kid who had high expectations and he just couldnít handle it. He had tremendous power (Authorís Note: On May 6, 1963, Nicholson hit what may have been the longest home run in the history of baseball. He blasted a shot over the roof at Comiskey Park off of the Aís Moe Drabowsky that landed an estimated 573 feet away in Armour Square. It was one of three home runs he hit that night.) I was in awe when he hit that one over the roof. " (Authorís Note: Nicholson also was incredibly strong. Landis confirmed a story that I had read about, that after a particular frustrating game Dave went into the Sox clubhouse, took a shower and twisted the shower heads so tight no other player could get them loose.)

Lip

HITMEN OF 77
09-01-2004, 11:30 AM
So is the Nicholson ball in the Sox HOF or is it MIA?