PDA

View Full Version : *Official* NL Wild Card Watch

Brian26
08-30-2004, 09:23 AM
As of August 30, Crybaby scrubs are tied for the lead with the Padres and Giants. Look who's catching up, though! The Marlins and Astros are both only 4 games out. We've got a 5-team race.

Go Padres.
Go Giants.
Go Marlins.
Go Astros.

Unfortunately the Giants and Padres are going to beat each other up a bit down the stretch.

CHISOXFAN13
08-30-2004, 09:25 AM
As of August 30, Crybaby scrubs are tied for the lead with the Padres and Giants. Look who's catching up, though! The Marlins and Astros are both only 4 games out. We've got a 5-team race.

Go Padres.
Go Giants.
Go Marlins.
Go Astros.

Unfortunately the Giants and Padres are going to beat each other up a bit down the stretch.

While I agree that they may beat each other up in the last two weeks, the fact that the Giants have 15 straight games against Arizona, Colorado and then Milwaukee has me pretty optimistic.

samram
08-30-2004, 09:51 AM
I think San Diego and Houston have quite a few games left against the Cards, so let's hope the St. Louis has decided to rest some guys. They're on pace to win 111 games, and they would basically have to go undefeated to get the all-time wins record, so I think there's a good chance they will rest some guys. Plus, I'm sure the Cards would have no problem doing what they can to keep the Crybabies out of the postseason.

fledgedrallycap
08-30-2004, 09:58 AM
I'm riding the Giants, they know how to win down the stretch.

Wouldn't it be something if Houston caught fire in September and took the Wild Card after everyone wrote them off as dead?

Baby Fisk
08-30-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm riding the Giants, they know how to win down the stretch.

Wouldn't it be something if Houston caught fire in September and took the Wild Card after everyone wrote them off as dead?
I don't think the Stros have enough arms (other than Oswalt & Clemens), but there's a lot of hate between them and the Cubs.

SOXSINCE'70
08-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Go 'Stros Go,Go 'Stros go,
C'mon Houston,whaddya say
the sCrUBS are gonna choke today.:D: :D: :D:

JB98
08-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Call me crazy, but I think Florida has a great shot at this thing. They have six games left with the Cubs, hopefully, they'll capitalize on that. They have much stronger pitching, both in the rotation and the bullpen, than SF or Houston. Plus, they have the experience of having been in this position last year. As for SD, the only thing holding them back in the mental block they have about playing at Petco Park. Put them on the road, and they are a juggernaut. For some reason, they just can't win at home.

samram
08-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Call me crazy, but I think Florida has a great shot at this thing. They have six games left with the Cubs, hopefully, they'll capitalize on that. They have much stronger pitching, both in the rotation and the bullpen, than SF or Houston. Plus, they have the experience of having been in this position last year. As for SD, the only thing holding them back in the mental block they have about playing at Petco Park. Put them on the road, and they are a juggernaut. For some reason, they just can't win at home.
Well, they're .500 there, so it's not a complete disaster zone for them, and they have played better there lately as they've adjusted their style to take advantage of the gaps. The problem is the Cubs have the easiest schedule left- other than six against Florida, the only solid team they play is Atlanta, who may or may not be interested in the last series of the season. The Giants and Padres play each other six more times, and the Dodgers six more times. The Giants also play Houston, and San Diego is playing St. Louis six times in the next 10 days. The Marlins are lucky in that they play the Cubs and the Phils, who they have dominated, a bunch. Hopefully, they or the Padres can pull it off.

nccwsfan
08-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Any team that can pass the Scrubs is OK with me. My prediction- San Francisco

Dub25
08-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Remember when the scrubs took 4 of 5 from the Cards last year? Everyone seemed to think that what propelled them into the playoffs, never mind the Astros choke job against the Brewers. Anyway, with the stros taking 3 of 4 in another emotioal series with the flubs could this be what gets them finally going?

CHISOXFAN13
08-30-2004, 03:04 PM
The Giants pissed away an opportunity today. Braves score two in the ninth to win 7-6.

Damn.

HebrewHammer
08-30-2004, 03:05 PM
I've got to root for the Padres, I've got Jake Peavy in my fantasy league and he's been lights out for the last month or so, they also have a "Reggie Cleveland All-Star" in Khalil Greene. Lots of good karma flowing San Diego's way.

samram
08-30-2004, 03:07 PM
The Giants pissed away an opportunity today. Braves score two in the ninth to win 7-6.

Damn.
The Giants' bullpen may end up killing them. They would probably kill to have Felix Rodriguez back now, and certainly to have Nenn back.

CHISOXFAN13
08-30-2004, 03:09 PM
I've got to root for the Padres, I've got Jake Peavy in my fantasy league and he's been lights out for the last month or so, they also have a "Reggie Cleveland All-Star" in Khalil Greene. Lots of good karma flowing San Diego's way.

I had guy give me 50-1 odds that Peavy would win the Cy Young this year. Had he not been hampered with injuries, I may have been $500 richer. Oh well.

Jjav829
08-30-2004, 03:17 PM
I won't call you crazy. I've been preaching for a few weeks that the Marlins might just be the best team in this race. Carl Pavano has been great all year long. Willis and Burnett are coming around. If Beckett can stay healthy, and Valdez can be half way decent, their pitching is better than any team in the race not named the Cubs. Their bullpen has gone from being a weakness to a strength. Benitez has been lights out all year long. The addition of Mota was huge for them as they now have someone to pitch the 8th inning. Koch has been much better for them than he ever was for us. Even Rudy Seanez has been decent since joining them. They still play solid defense. The addition of Lo Duca has given them a catcher who can hit. If Castillo gets hot with Pierre, that lineup has the ability to be pretty good. They are experienced. They play solid, fundamental baseball. I really wouldn't be surprised to see them take the Wild Card again and hell, once in the playoffs, I could see them repeating. Of course a lot of this depends on the health and effectiveness of Josh Beckett.

Baby Fisk
08-30-2004, 04:02 PM
I won't call you crazy. I've been preaching for a few weeks that the Marlins might just be the best team in this race. Carl Pavano has been great all year long. Willis and Burnett are coming around. If Beckett can stay healthy, and Valdez can be half way decent, their pitching is better than any team in the race not named the Cubs. Their bullpen has gone from being a weakness to a strength. Benitez has been lights out all year long. The addition of Mota was huge for them as they now have someone to pitch the 8th inning. Koch has been much better for them than he ever was for us. Even Rudy Seanez has been decent since joining them. They still play solid defense. The addition of Lo Duca has given them a catcher who can hit. If Castillo gets hot with Pierre, that lineup has the ability to be pretty good. They are experienced. They play solid, fundamental baseball. I really wouldn't be surprised to see them take the Wild Card again and hell, once in the playoffs, I could see them repeating. Of course a lot of this depends on the health and effectiveness of Josh Beckett.I didn't think I would agree with any of this, but I agree with ALL of it, even the Koch stuff. C'mon Beckett! No more blisters! :cool:

Foulke You
08-30-2004, 04:18 PM
The Giants' bullpen may end up killing them. They would probably kill to have Felix Rodriguez back now, and certainly to have Nenn back.
What may kill the Giants is Jerry Manuel's mentor, Mr. Felipe Alou. What the hell are you doing "resting" Barry Bonds in the middle of a pennant race after he went yard twice yesterday? He was not in the lineup today. Now I know where Jerry got it from.

:jerry
"Well, y'know...I would have done the same in a similar situation. Don't want Bonds to get too hot. He might burn himself. Kinda like when I started Neal Cotts in Yankee Stadium last year in a pennant race. No reason to go for the kill when you don't have to."

Dub25
08-30-2004, 06:11 PM
What may kill the Giants is Jerry Manuel's mentor, Mr. Felipe Alou. What the hell are you doing "resting" Barry Bonds in the middle of a pennant race after he went yard twice yesterday? He was not in the lineup today. Now I know where Jerry got it from.

:jerry
"Well, y'know...I would have done the same in a similar situation. Don't want Bonds to get too hot. He might burn himself. Kinda like when I started Neal Cotts in Yankee Stadium last year in a pennant race. No reason to go for the kill when you don't have to."
Or Felipe is trying to help get his son back in the playoffs.

balke
08-30-2004, 06:44 PM
I doubt Felipe has jack to say about it. Bonds just comes in or calls in "Hey, not going to play today. My back is sore. I got 40 year old pains. I'm old... too old to walk to 1st base 4 times a game, and round all those bases when they pitch to me."I would love to see Bonds just once hit a homerun, and call in a pinch runner, that'd be great.

Brian26
08-31-2004, 11:11 AM
Crybaby scrubs beat up on Expos yesterday while the Padres and Giants fall back slightly. Come on, Expos. We need some help.

Go Marlins.
Go Pads.
Go Giants.
Go Astros.

Brian26
09-01-2004, 09:15 AM
It's a beautiful thing:

Giant and Cubs tied at the top, with the Pads just 0.5 games behind...
And look who's coming!
Astros AND the Marlins just 3 games back!

How can you not like the Marlins in this situation? The Astros would be an unbelievable comeback too.

Anyone but the crybaby scrubs!

samram
09-01-2004, 09:29 AM
It's a beautiful thing:

And look who's coming!

How can you not like the Marlins in this situation? The Astros would be an unbelievable comeback too.

Anyone but the crybaby scrubs!
It helps if Prior keeps pitching the way he has. Also, has there been any word on Clement, who left Sunday's game in the third or fourth? Too much Glendon Rusch could be their downfall.:D:

Baby Fisk
09-01-2004, 09:30 AM
It's a beautiful thing:

And look who's coming!

Anyone but the crybaby scrubs!This is a good race. Here's where getting the Extra Innings package pays off, in case anyone is thinking about getting it.

MiamiSpartan
09-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Marlins are just 3 games back now. What sucks, tho, is that this weekend's series against the Cubs may have to be moved to Chicago, because of Hurricane Frances....

santo=dorf
09-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Marlins are just 3 games back now. What sucks, tho, is that this weekend's series against the Cubs may have to be moved to Chicago, because of Hurricane Frances....
Oh but we remember how well the Marlins played the last time they were at Wrigley Field don't we? :gulp:

Baby Fisk
09-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Stros win 6 straight! 2 1/2 out of the WC!

:garner
"That's cuz I lit a fire under this team!"

Yeah yeah, keep winning, but don't think we don't still think you're a jerkass.

samram
09-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Ah, so the great Giants lose 2 of 3 to the suckfest Rockies. The Padres get swept in St. Louis (BTW, wouldn't it be nice to root for a team that runs off 6 game winning streaks every three weeks without even blinking). Cubs now with a 1.5 game lead on Frisco, and they play the Expos next because the series in Florida has been washed out. Hopefully, Florida can stay hot against the Mets next week and then get 2 out of 3 in Chicago. If they do, I think they have a great shot because they then have an 11 game homestand starting with five against Montreal, which I think is a sight for sore eyes for most teams (except the Sox :angry:), and they should be able to get a lot of wins.

Brian26
09-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Monday morning, 9/6 update:

Giants and Cubs tied for the wild card lead.

The amazing Astros only 1.5 games back.

The fightin' fish and Pads 2.5 games out.

Go Fish. Go Stros. Go Giants!

Erik The Red
09-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Houston wins again, that's 10 in a row!

Scrubs beating up on Montreal, though. Fish and Giants idle, San Diego plays tonight at home against the red-hot Cards, who have a 9-game win streak themselves.

On a side note, let's just hope the Cards don't turn into the 2001 Mariners.

he_gone_89
09-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Houston wins again, that's 10 in a row!

Scrubs beating up on Montreal, though. Fish and Giants idle, San Diego plays tonight at home against the red-hot Cards, who have a 9-game win streak themselves.

On a side note, let's just hope the Cards don't turn into the 2001 Mariners.
well,whatever the Astros are eating for dinner,i hope they are nice enough to send about 28 plates to 35th street,eh?:gulp:

Baby Fisk
09-08-2004, 09:18 AM
The Cubs will have to finish the season with 26 games in 24 days (including 6 against hot hot Florida) -- with no days off -- starting Friday. Which player melts down next? :cool:

Brian26
09-08-2004, 09:20 AM
Houston wins 11th in a row, Florida wins 8th in a row. Oh my.

SF 0.5 games out
Astros 1.5 games out
Fightin Fish 2.0 games out
Pads 2.5 games out

chuckn98229
09-08-2004, 09:58 AM
What a great time for the Marlins and the Astros to reach their winning stride - while a different flub player implodes each day!! YES, there is a God!!

HomeFish
09-08-2004, 01:11 PM
YES, there is a God!!

Not yet; the Accursed Ones are still in the lead for the wildcard.

We must not celebrate until they are eliminated.

chuckn98229
09-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Not yet; the Accursed Ones are still in the lead for the wildcard.

We must not celebrate until they are eliminated.
Yes, please forgive me. I just got overly giddy because the anointed 2004 world series champions may not even make the playoffs!! It won't happen again.

Foulke You
09-08-2004, 04:10 PM
12 in a row now for the Stros with a 5-2 win over the Reds this afternoon. They are HOT to say the least. Now tied with "America's Team" for the Wild Card lead. Even more incredible is that Beltran has been on the shelf lately. Imagine if Pettite and Beltran were healthy right now. The Stros are finally starting to live up to that early season hype.

Brian26
09-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Astros win their 12th in a row!

Fightin' Fish win their 9th in a row!

Expos beat the crybaby scrubs!

Padres beat the Cardinals!

Giants leading right now!

Unbelievable.

Astros lead the Wild Card. Cubs and Giants 0.5 games back. Marlins 1.5 games back. Padres 2 back.

DumpJerry
09-08-2004, 10:30 PM
It's over for the Flubs.......:D:

You do not, NOT make the playoffs when you lose 2 of 3 to a high school team while two other teams in your league are playing as if they will be shot at dawn if they lose even one game (the Flubs get to play one of those teams SIX MORE TIMES before it's all over).

After tomorrow, the Flubs will play a murderous schedule. The whole team will be down with owies. Not a chance of catching up.

We should hold our heads higher than Flub fans. When the season began we had no expectations for the Sox while the Flubs, well, we know what they were saying.....:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Brian26
09-08-2004, 11:15 PM
It's over for the Flubs.......:D:

:gulp:

It will be nice to actually *relax* this October as I watch post-season play.

Brian26
09-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Astros and Giants (Thank you 1989) tied for the lead.

Crybaby scrubs 0.5 games out.

Fightin' Fish 1.5 games out. (Thank you 2003)

Padres 2.0 games out. (Thank you 1984)

Fightin' Phils only 6.0 games out.

Hopefully 9/9/04 is the Cubs version of 7/25/04 for the Sox.

:bandance:

Brian26
09-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Wow, the race is tighter as the Phillies move up just a bit:

Astros and Giants tied for the lead.

Crybaby scrubs 0.5 games out.

Marlins 2.0 games out.

Pads 2.5 games out.

Phils 5.5 games out.

Brian26
09-10-2004, 04:24 PM
After Game 1 at the Shrine,

Astros and Giants tied for the lead.

Crybaby scrubs 1.0 game out.

Marlins 1.5 games out.

Pads 2.5 games out.

Phils 5.5 games out.

balke
09-12-2004, 08:01 PM
9/12

Barry B hits #699 Giants go up 1 game on the wild card.

HomeFish
09-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Astros blow a 9th inning lead. :angry: :angry:

zach23
09-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Astros blow a 9th inning lead. :angry: :angry:

And win in the 10th.

RKMeibalane
09-12-2004, 09:40 PM
As a result of today's games, the San Francisco Giants are now the leaders in the WC Race. The Cubs and Astros are each one game out, with the Marlins and Padres only 2.5 games back. The Phillies won again today, and are still alive at 4.5 games out. The last few weeks of the season are going to be interesting.

Brian26
09-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Anyone with an update on the crybabies game today?

Flight #24
09-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Anyone with an update on the crybabies game today?
Back2back2back HR in the 1st, the Messiah gives back 4 in the 2d. Top 6 Bucco's 5, Chubsters 4.

Prior's final line: 5IP, 113pitches (!), 9H, 3BB, 5ER, 5K

Brian26
09-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Marlins are in trouble. They lose a doubleheader to the Expos and Burnett might be done for the year.

We're going to have to put all of our rooting efforts towards the Giants and the Astros.

Giants up 5-0 over the Brew Crew in the 8th. A win keeps their 0.5 game lead over the crybabies.

MRKARNO
09-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Giants up 5-0 over the Brew Crew in the 8th. A win keeps their 0.5 game lead over the crybabies.
I know they have a tough schedule, but if Schmidt can get back on track I think the Giants might be in a good position to win the Wild Card. The key has been Tomko has been pitching like Schmidt in his absence. If SF can reliably get wins out of Tomko, Schmidt and Lowry (the rookie with an amazing changeup who's had only 2 really bad starts), then they just might take this thing considering how surprisingly good their offense is.

Brian26
09-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Looks like we have a 3-team race now. SF in the lead, crybabies in 2nd only 0.5 back, and the Astros are 2.0 now.

The Cubs schedule for the rest of the way: Pirates, Cincy, Mets, and Atlanta (who will be resting their starters after they clinch).

Meanwhile, SF has to play the Astros, Dodgers, Padres and Dodgers AGAIN.

Cubs have the easier schedule.

samram
09-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Looks like we have a 3-team race now. SF in the lead, crybabies in 2nd only 0.5 back, and the Astros are 2.0 now.

The Cubs schedule for the rest of the way: Pirates, Cincy, Mets, and Atlanta (who will be resting their starters after they clinch).

Meanwhile, SF has to play the Astros, Dodgers, Padres and Dodgers AGAIN.

Cubs have the easier schedule.
On the other hand, the Dodgers are also in the wild card race now, as their lead in the west is down to 1.5. Hopefully, both of them can make it if the Astros fade down the stretch. Also, I don't know if Atlanta is going to rest too many guys. I think managers are starting to learn that you want your team playing well as they start the playoffs, not trying to restart things, especially after the last two champs have been wild-card teams.

Brian26
09-24-2004, 10:12 AM
The crybabies are back in the lead, by 0.5 games, as they walk through their minor league schedule to end the season. Meanwhile, SF has to play LA, SD and Houston, as Frisco couldn't hold onto the lead in the 9th last night over the Astros.

This makes me sick.

samram
09-24-2004, 10:23 AM
The crybabies are back in the lead, by 0.5 games, as they walk through their minor league schedule to end the season. Meanwhile, SF has to play LA, SD and Houston, as Frisco couldn't hold onto the lead in the 9th last night over the Astros.

This makes me sick.
Yeah, it's getting tough to imagine they won't make it. LA, SD, and SF are just going to beat each other up, with the team suffering the least damage winning the division and the other two being out of the playoffs. Maybe the Mets will show some pride and manage to win two out of three, but I don't see them beating the Cubs even once this weekend. Maybe the Astros can run the table and end up on top.

DumpJerry
09-24-2004, 06:10 PM
I'm sticking my head in the oven as we speak...............can't take this two years in a row..........................:whiner:

Brian26
09-25-2004, 10:24 PM
Good day for the Sox:

SF wins over LA, and the Mets beat the Cubs.

Cubs only own a 0.5 game lead over SF, and LA maintains the West lead.

Everyone else (FLA, SD, Houston, Phily) appear to be done.

MRKARNO
09-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Pedro Feliz is the man.

FELIZ HITS IT HIGH....DEEEEEEEEEEEP... OUTTA HERE!! GRAND SLAM PEDRO FELIZ!

DumpJerry
09-26-2004, 01:51 AM
Ok, I'm taking my head, slowly, out of the oven.....went to the game Sat night (going Sun., too). Atlanta will come on like gangbusters against the Flubs because the Flubs eliminated them last year in the playoffs........The Braves would LOVE, LOVE! to be the team the keeps the Flubs out of the postseason!:D:

If the Flubs make the playoffs....witness protection program for me!

Brian26
09-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Giants are idle tonight.

Go REDS

dpbyron
09-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Maybe they will show up this time. Unlike in Cincinnati.....

StillMissOzzie
09-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Everyone else (FLA, SD, Houston, Phily) appear to be done.I wouldn't give up on Houston just yet, Brian. After yesterday, they are 1.5 games back.

SMO

Edit: The Astros have 3 vs. the Cards, who just might roll over, and 3 at home vs. the Rockies. Hope springs eternal!!

Brian26
09-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Reds are kicking ass tonight. 8-3 over the crybabies after 8 innings. Go Reds!

MRKARNO
09-28-2004, 09:39 PM
If Lidge pitches like Lidge and the Reds dont allow 5 ninth inning runs then Houston is a mere one game back.

samram
09-28-2004, 09:43 PM
If Lidge pitches like Lidge and the Reds dont allow 5 ninth inning runs then Houston is a mere one game back.
I think they'll only be .5 game back. Hopefully, Clement will choke tomorrow.

Brian26
09-28-2004, 09:48 PM
Reds win!

SF, as we speak, is 0.5 out. Astros, as we speak, are 1.0 out.

Brian26
09-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Astros win!

Astros and SF both 0.5 out, as we speak.

soxwon
09-28-2004, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=Brian26]Astros win!

Astros and SF both 0.5 out, as we speak.

ALL WE NEED IS A GIANTS WIN.
but of course they are losing 2-0

i think the astros will be the ones.
they play colo cubss play atlanta

CHISOXFAN13
09-28-2004, 10:21 PM
I think they'll only be .5 game back. Hopefully, Clement will choke tomorrow.

Rusch is scheduled to pitch tomorrow.

ALso, the Giants now lead the Padres 5-2 in the 4th!!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

MRKARNO
09-28-2004, 10:25 PM

6-2 now. :)

ChiSoxRowand
09-29-2004, 01:07 AM
Don't forget, we want the Dodgers to win too. They won 5-4 on a ninth inning comeback tonight.

samram
09-29-2004, 07:15 AM

Even better (hopefully).:D: I really think that if Cinci can get a split, Atlanta will smell blood in the water and will really give it their all to keep the Cubs out of the playoffs, especially given the common sentiment that no one wants to play the Cubs in the playoffs.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Ahh Yes. Giants and Scrubs tied at 1st. GO GO GIANTS! :bandance: GO GO ASTROS! :bandance: GO GO DODGERS:bandance: GO GO REDS! :bandance: GO GO ANYONE WHO PLAYS THE CUBS! :bandance:

:gulp:

Brian26
09-29-2004, 12:53 PM
The Dodgers win really keeps them in good shape, as it doesn't appear they will be falling out of the playoffs now.

Just think of it this way: Giants magic number is 6.

Man, a Reds victory today would be so sweet.

Brian26
09-29-2004, 04:39 PM
YES! AUSTIN KEARNS! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!

2-run homers. Reds lead the crybabies 4-2 in extra innings.

A win here cuts down SF's magic number to 5!

Brian26
09-29-2004, 05:03 PM
REDS WIN.

Lip Man 1
09-29-2004, 06:46 PM
I think Houston is going to take it.

Lip

MRKARNO
09-29-2004, 06:55 PM
I think Houston is going to take it.

Lip
:chimp

"Houston is in the catbird seat"

samram
09-29-2004, 09:11 PM
Houston leads 5-4 on a Bagwell single. If they can just win tonight and get the lead, they definitely have a good chance of sweeping the Rockies.

soxwon
09-29-2004, 09:11 PM
stros lead 5-4 bott of 7th yessssssssss

soxwon
09-29-2004, 09:13 PM
The cubs will not make it.

if sf or hous wins tonight the cubs are done.

hous will sweep colo.

cubs will lose 2 of 3 to atl.

it will be over by sat night

no cubs- its over for them.

this is going to be great
no cubbies, the fat lady is warming up

soxwon
09-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Hous up 6-4

sf up 2-0

a beautifull night in chicago

go stros go giants

bye bye cubs lol

Flight #24
09-29-2004, 09:48 PM
And just like that, the Chubbies are at least .5 out after tonight, and need to win tomorrow just to pull even with Houston (not to mention SF). Houston can clinch at least the 1-game playoff with a Rockie sweep.

(the big guy's reserved for if/when Houston clinches the WC)

Brian26
09-29-2004, 09:57 PM
Life is ****ing good tonight.

Cubs are THIRD as we speak in the wild card hunt.

And what's even more beautiful....The Sox beat them twice back in June. If the Cubs win either of those games, they are still in the wild card lead.

shagar69
09-29-2004, 09:57 PM
Life is ****ing good tonight.

Cubs are THIRD as we speak in the wild card hunt.

And what's even more beautiful....The Sox beat them twice back in June. If the Cubs win either of those games, they are still in the wild card lead.
nice way to look at it!

HomeFish
09-29-2004, 10:23 PM
I hate to poop on your party, but the Cubs are still in it. Depending on what happens tonight, they will be only 1 or even .5 games out of it -- they can definately still clinch the WC, with a game left against the Reds and a home series against Atlanta. The Braves choked against the Cubs last year and did poorly this year; they will have already clinched and might lie down.

HomeFish
09-29-2004, 10:25 PM
nice way to look at it!

Think of it this way, though: if the Sox had won two more games, which they were in a position to, the Cubs would be all but eliminated.

We failed this year in June. That should not be spun any other way.

soxwon
09-29-2004, 10:27 PM
atl will go all out

they remember last playoffs the flubs eliminated them
the cubs cant even beat cincy-pathetic
atl is three times the team as cincy

ITS OVER CUBBIES_OVAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

shagar69
09-29-2004, 10:31 PM
3-1 Giants

HomeFish
09-29-2004, 11:45 PM
3-1 Giants

3-3 tie, with the Padres being at home.

This isn't over yet, folks.

soltrain21
09-30-2004, 12:22 AM
What a crappy way for SF to lose.

Who says the Cubs aren't lucky?

nodiggity59
09-30-2004, 12:30 AM
Look at it this way:

The Stros will enter the weekend with a share of 1st and they play Colorado. No reason why we shouldn't see a playoff game w/ them, if not they WIN IT outright.

soltrain21
09-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Look at it this way:

The Stros will enter the weekend with a share of 1st and they play Colorado. No reason why we shouldn't see a playoff game w/ them, if not they WIN IT outright.

That is assuming the Cubs win tomorrow.

samram
09-30-2004, 07:20 AM
Look at it this way:

Yeah, they have no excuse to lose even one game to the Rockies. Of course, didn't they manage to lose three of four to the Brewers in the last series of the season last year to let the Cubs into the playoffs?

SOXSINCE'70
09-30-2004, 07:22 AM
After their 6-4 win last night,the 'Stros are in 1st for the WC.:bandance: :bandance:

Giants lost in 12 (DARN,DARN,DARN,DARN,DARN!!!):(: :(: :(:

AND THE SCRUBBIES LOST!!!!!!!THEY'RE IN THIRD!!!!!!!:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

samram
09-30-2004, 08:15 AM
By the way, if the Cubs lose again today (please happen), is there any doubt Darren Baker makes a media appearance after the game?

white sox bill
09-30-2004, 09:23 AM
Don't discount the bad guys from North side---theres still time for ANYTHING to happen. Go Reds! Go "STros and go Giants!

Brian26
09-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Get ready party people!

REDS lead 2-1 as we go to the bottom of the 12th! :gulp:

Brian26
09-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Reds win.

Houston with the lead.

San Fran 0.5 out.

Crybabies 1.0 out, with 3 to play. :whiner:

Dan1972
09-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Let's hope Atlanta gets revenge for last year and seals the deal. I don't want those people at work hoping for Maddux's last game to be the clincher against the Brave.

Gotta love the dejection from the crowd. I loved these two women who were doing some kind of vodoo fingers for the cubs to get a hit. I guess they'll have to find something else to do with those fingers. Cubs, I got one for you!

Brian26
10-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Crybabies are now 1.5 games out, 2 back in the loss column, with only 2 to play. :whiner:

samram
10-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Astros win and lead the Cubs by two with two to go- the only way the Cubs can get in is through a playoff.

zach23
10-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Astros win and lead the Cubs by two with two to go- the only way the Cubs can get in is through a playoff.

One more dagger into the heart of the evil empire. I hope SF holds their lead (2-0 in the 3rd) and puts in yet another. Would be nice to have the cryabies 2 games in back of 2 teams.

Brian26
10-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Only took a month...

:tomatoaward

Brian26
10-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Would be nice to have the cryabies 2 games in back of 2 teams.
Wait, hold on...

My phone is ringing.

Kent Mercker on the line complaining about this post.

:whiner: