PDA

View Full Version : Congrats, Robin!

Bisco Stu
08-30-2004, 01:27 AM
NEW YORK -- Robin Ventura (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/8151) circled the bases one more time, passing Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron in the record book and pulling alongside Ted Williams and Jimmie Foxx with his 17th grand slam.

"It's nice to even be mentioned in any category whatsoever with those guys," Ventura said modestly.

On a muggy Sunday afternoon that saw Ventura draw more cheers than the Mets (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/NYM), he led the Los Angeles Dodgers (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/LA) to a 10-2 victory over sinking New York that maintained their five-game lead in the NL West.

At 37 and a role player these days, Ventura remains as unassuming as ever. Even though he's had just 19 starts and 117 at-bats, he's been a key for the Dodgers, seeking their first playoff berth since 1996.

He had tiebreaking, pinch RBI single in the ninth inning of a 5-4 win over San Diego on April 6, a pinch two-run homer for a 7-6 win at Arizona on July 17 and a pinch 12th-inning homer for a 2-1 victory at San Diego on Aug. 1.

"To have a player of this guy's magnitude and have other players see how he allows himself to be managed, how he'll do whatever you ask him to do, you can't put a price tag on that," Dodgers manager Jim Tracy said. "Those type of people are invaluable to a successful club."

Ventura, a .342 hitter (63-for-184) with the bases loaded with 209 RBI, came up with Los Angeles ahead 4-1 in the fifth inning. He fouled a pitch to deep right before sending a 340-foot drive down the right-field line that was less than a foot fair and a couple of inches above the eight-foot fence

SomebodyToldMe
08-30-2004, 01:36 AM
I want Robin back. :(:

fquaye149
08-30-2004, 08:37 AM
I want Robin back. :(:
as a bench coach?

Baby Fisk
08-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Robin Ventura rocks. Period.

I wish we still had him.

samram
08-30-2004, 09:51 AM
Robin Ventura rocks. Period.

I wish we still had him.
Yep, they guy was always a great clutch hitter, and still is. I'll never forget the grand slam off of Gossage back in 1991 to beat the Yanks. I'll also never forget the game in Texas in which he had two grand slams, I believe in consecutive at-bats.

SOXSINCE'70
08-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Yep, they guy was always a great clutch hitter, and still is. I'll never forget the grand slam off of Gossage back in 1991 to beat the Yanks. I'll also never forget the game in Texas in which he had two grand slams, I believe in consecutive at-bats.You are somewhat right.Ventura did hit 2 slams in Texas,but that
Gossage slam came on 7/31/91 at Comiskey in a 10-8 win over
the Rangers.I have the slam on videotape.Just an FYI.

balke
08-30-2004, 12:06 PM
big ups Robin, we wish you never left :(:

Frater Perdurabo
08-30-2004, 12:19 PM
For those who thought Robin was washed up: Would he look better than Crede at 3B right now?

Baby Fisk
08-30-2004, 12:29 PM
For those who thought Robin was washed up: Would he look better than Crede at 3B right now?
No doubt about it!

Hey, weren't we supposed to win like three world championships since Ventura left?! :angry:

fquaye149
08-30-2004, 12:46 PM
For those who thought Robin was washed up: Would he look better than Crede at 3B right now? not really. compare their numbers then take into account that crede has nowhere to go but up.. . or at the least he is much less likely to decline than robin

CREDE:($340,000 in 2004)

.231/.294/.669, 16 HR 53 RBI 55 R 68 K and 30 BB in 320 AB

VENTURA:(1.2 Mil. in 2004)

.222/.326/.659, 4 HR 20 RBI 13 R 21 K and 18 BB in 117 AB

2003 numbers

.242/.340/.741, 14 HR 55 RBI 42 R 87 K and 58 BB in 392 AB

I'm really not crying over spilt milk here. Though I still love Robin from his Sox days.

Lem_Siddons
08-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Robin has always been one of m favorite Sox players. I just cannot see any value in bringing him back, I also do not see the need for another Sox ex-player turned coach. I think Oz, Baines, and Cora are enough.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-30-2004, 09:06 PM
not really. compare their numbers then take into account that crede has nowhere to go but up.. . or at the least he is much less likely to decline than robin
Sorry... this just doesn't wash.

It's not that the Sox were wrong to give up on Robin after 1998. He was going to be overpriced by free agency and his productivity certainly declined. You won't hear a peep from me regarding this decision.

What pisses me off about the Sox is that we have done NOTHING to replace the production Robin generated at 3B in 1998 and the years before 1998. It's another classic example of Sox management trying to get by with less. Third base has been one of our worst holes since his departure -- and it still is today.

It's precisely this "make do" mentality that has made the Sox an also-ran team for 80+ years. Meanwhile expansion franchises like Florida and Arizona already have THREE world championships. See the difference?

fquaye149
08-30-2004, 09:08 PM
Sorry... this just doesn't wash.

It's not that the Sox were wrong to give up on Robin after 1998. He was going to be overpriced by free agency and his productivity certainly declined. You won't hear a peep from me regarding this decision.

What pisses me off about the Sox is that we have done NOTHING to replace the production Robin generated at 3B in 1998 and the years before 1998. It's another classic example of Sox management trying to get by with less. Third base has been one of our worst holes since his departure -- and it still is today.

It's precisely this "make do" mentality that has made the Sox an also-ran team for 80+ years. Meanwhile expansion franchises like Florida and Arizona already have THREE world championships. See the difference?
I absolutely agree with you. I just don't think robin now is the answer to replace robin then, and I think his recent numbers support this theory.

What I meant to imply is the following: Crede now is God-awful. Robin now is also God-awful but for more money.

SOXintheBURGH
08-31-2004, 03:37 PM
Got to see him play when LA came to play the Pirates and I sat behind their dug out. He was playing first base and looked really old in the face, but I went nuts for him since he was my favorite Sox player for years.

HomeFish
08-31-2004, 03:55 PM
What pisses me off about the Sox is that we have done NOTHING to replace the production Robin generated at 3B in 1998 and the years before 1998.

:milk

Robin Ventura, 1998: .263 .349 .436
Herbert Perry, 2000: .308 .356 .467

Irishsox1
08-31-2004, 05:27 PM
I was at the Mets/Dodgers game Sunday. Shea is totally massive and the upperdecks are very steep and far away from the field. The Tribune would have a field day with that stadium! Not a lot of people at the game, it was Jewish Heritage day, so I got a Mets t-shirt with some hebrew on it and a advertisment on the back. Cliff Floyd had a huge error and later in the inning made a very crappy throw home. The next inning Ventura hit the grand slam and got a lot of cheers from the Mets fans. The stadium is totally out of date with no box seats and the stadium seats themselves face straight away and not towards the action, since the stadium was designed to be multi-purpose for the Jets & Mets. I took the number 7 train from Times Square out to Queens. It's about 45 minutes there. When I came back I was right in the middle of some protests. I quickly drew up a sign with my message: White Sox to the World Series...NOW!!! Just kidding!, I tried to stay away from the cops and protesters and made my way back to my expensive yet crappy New York hotel.