PDA

View Full Version : Does Contreras have more than 2 pitches?

GiveMeSox
08-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Watching the game yesterday i got me thinking all Conreras seems to throw is the 4 seam fastball and splitter. Dont get me wrong those are two great pitchs. But for a veteran pitcher you have to have more than 2 pitches as your arsenal. In MVP baseball 04 they have him with the 4 seam fastball, cutter, splitter, slider, change. I never see him throw anything but the fastball or splitter. Does he have any other pitches, does he ever use them, or am i just missing this.

OEO Magglio
08-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Watching the game yesterday i got me thinking all Conreras seems to throw is the 4 seam fastball and splitter. Dont get me wrong those are two great pitchs. But for a veteran pitcher you have to have more than 2 pitches as your arsenal. In MVP baseball 04 they have him with the 4 seam fastball, cutter, splitter, slider, change. I never see him throw anything but the fastball or splitter. Does he have any other pitches, does he ever use them, or am i just missing this.
He's got a slider too, but he doesn't use that to much. He also seems to throw various versions of his splitter.

Huisj
08-29-2004, 03:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw him throw a few slider/curve type breaking balls yesterday--not a lot of them, but just a few. Also, he kind of uses the split different ways--he runs it in both directions and also changes speeds with it so that sometimes it's effectively a changeup and other times it's harder.

fquaye149
08-29-2004, 04:02 PM
if you can change speeds on two pitches it effectively makes them 4+ pitches.

GiveMeSox
08-29-2004, 04:18 PM
if you can change speeds on two pitches it effectively makes them 4+ pitches.
Ill agree to that but something else i have noticed about Contreras is when he pitches sometimes he waggles his glove. Look very closely, especially from the stretch when he gets set to pitch he waggles and wiggles his glove a little bit whenever he pitches the splitter (or any breaking pitch), and doesn't when he pitches a fastball. Am i just making this up or has anyone else noticed this?

MRKARNO
08-29-2004, 04:23 PM
He has two speeds of fastball and two speed of splitters I believe. There's the 95 MPH and the 91ish MPH fastball and there's also the 85 MPH and 79 MPH splitter.

fusillirob1983
08-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Wasn't the glove wiggling how other teams saw that the splitter was coming? Also I think I heard either on here or while watching a game that they're trying to have him wiggle his glove before every pitch and to shake off a lot of signs to keep the batters from having an idea what's coming.

PatK
08-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Jose needs to vary his pitches more. He's got a damn good fastball, but it seems like he hardly ever uses it.

Watching him pitch Saturday night, we were able to guess when he was going to throw the forkball, based on how you can see him handling the ball when it was thrown back to him.