PDA

View Full Version : Magglio Ordonez

Red Fire
08-28-2004, 10:00 PM
why won't they get him signed he wants to stay in chicago :(: :(:

WSox8404
08-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Because he wasn't worth the money to begin with and now that he is hurt, he is no longer worth the money and/or the risk.

StillMissOzzie
08-28-2004, 10:08 PM
I think that he wants to stay in Chicago, too, but only on his terms, which the Sox brass have already pretty much said ain't gonna happen. That said, I think that the Sox have a chance of signing him to a 1 year, incentive-laden deal to let him show that he's fully recovered from this year's injury. If some other team is willing to take a BIG gamble (read: possibly uninsurable), then it's bye-bye, Maggs.

SMO
:(:

Whitesox029
08-28-2004, 10:53 PM
why won't they get him signed he wants to stay in chicago :(: :(:Because JR is determined not to let this "2 million fans" thing get out of hand.

:reinsy
"Only 10,000 fans per game please"

Huisj
08-28-2004, 11:49 PM
Because JR is determined not to let this "2 million fans" thing get out of hand.

"Only 10,000 fans per game please"
I heard that the next round of renovations has the first 6 rows of the upper deck being removed to make the deck seem even more intimate. That should help cut attendance down to the no-rent-paying zone.

dcb33
08-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Because JR is determined not to let this "2 million fans" thing get out of hand.

"Only 10,000 fans per game please"GMAB! So you would you rather spend a significant percentage of next year's payroll on a player that may never be able to play at the level he used to again? Let's face it- the Maggs era is over. There is no way we will sign a one year incentive laden contract with him becuase
a.)Reinsdorf isn't going to offer him any money at all until he knows for sure that Maggs will be able to perform and
b.)Someone else will offer him a multiyear guaranteed deal without requiring Maggs to do anything simply because he is Magglio Ordonez and because its a gamble that will probably pay off.
I also believe all the talk from Maggs about wanting to stay in Chicago is BS. From the start he's made it clear that he's been out for Vlad type money (which he wasn't worth before his injury, let alone after) and that he wants to test himself on the FA market. Knowing that he's a fan favorite his agent told Maggs to tell people that he wants to stay in Chicago so he doesn't look like the money grubbing goof he really is...

balke
08-29-2004, 12:40 AM
What's the difference between Magg's Torn miniscus, and Scott Rolen's torn miniscus? Rolen's playing through it. :cool: (cheap shots are fun)

Frankfan4life
08-29-2004, 02:32 AM
GMAB! So you would you rather spend a significant percentage of next year's payroll on a player that may never be able to play at the level he used to again? Let's face it- the Maggs era is over. There is no way we will sign a one year incentive laden contract with him becuase
a.)Reinsdorf isn't going to offer him any money at all until he knows for sure that Maggs will be able to perform and
b.)Someone else will offer him a multiyear guaranteed deal without requiring Maggs to do anything simply because he is Magglio Ordonez and because its a gamble that will probably pay off.
I also believe all the talk from Maggs about wanting to stay in Chicago is BS. From the start he's made it clear that he's been out for Vlad type money (which he wasn't worth before his injury, let alone after) and that he wants to test himself on the FA market. Knowing that he's a fan favorite his agent told Maggs to tell people that he wants to stay in Chicago so he doesn't look like the money grubbing goof he really is...I think you're wrong about Maggs not wanting to stay in Chicago. I believe he was sincere. I feel Magg's agent steered him wrong but not in the same way you do. I think Boras was the one who encouraged Maggs to go for Vlad money. If it wasn't for that jerk, Maggs would have had a lucrative contract and security. Maggs should fire him.

soxfanreggie
08-29-2004, 02:51 AM
i don't think it would be smart to invest a long term deal into him. with thomas, valentin, rowand, lee, konerko, etc. all able to hit, we can spend that 14 million on some decent pitching. if we want to get a carlos beltran or something that's fine. i'd love to see a carlos or an edgar renteria, but if not, get a good pen or another starter, preferrably a pen upgrade.

gosox41
08-29-2004, 07:54 AM
What's the difference between Magg's Torn miniscus, and Scott Rolen's torn miniscus? Rolen's playing through it. :cool: (cheap shots are fun)
Magglio has a bone marrow edema. He physically can't play.

Bob

idseer
08-29-2004, 07:56 AM
i don't think it would be smart to invest a long term deal into him. with thomas, valentin, rowand, lee, konerko, etc. all able to hit, we can spend that 14 million on some decent pitching.
i cannot believe you threw valentin into that mix. :?:

Lem_Siddons
08-29-2004, 10:12 AM
All the Maggs injury has done is made it easier for the club to not sign him. They will continue to cast doubt on if he can even play, lowering his value as much as possible before not signing him. I doubt they will sign even a mid level FA to fill the roll prefering to hope that someone steps up, just like last off season when they let Colon go and hoped for a miracle.

I'm wondering when the discussion is going to turn to Frank. We've seen life without Maggs and Thomas and it isn't pretty. It seems everyone is betting on the older player to bounce back from a season ending injury.

munchman33
08-29-2004, 10:47 AM
All the Maggs injury has done is made it easier for the club to not sign him. They will continue to cast doubt on if he can even play, lowering his value as much as possible before not signing him. I like how new guys think they can come on here and immediately trivialize career threatening injuries, making it sound like the team is making it up with absolutely no evidence.

You want to build a strong reputation around here? Stick to the facts. Not your opinions based your hatred for management. Maggs is a completely different case. He has a bone adema. That's a fact. His bone has internal bleeding. And no matter what they do, it won't stop. That's a fact. It is foolish to:

A. Expect Maggs to play a full season next year.
B. Expect the White Sox to pay someone big money next year if their not going to play.

Palehose13
08-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks, munch. I was waiting for someone to point out the obvious.

A. IF Maggs really, really, really wants to stay in Chicago like he claims (and Garcia was really thinking about signing with the M's in FA, too!) then he would have taken the initial contract offered. Kinda like the whole "hometown discount" idea.

B. IIRC, there has never been a MLB player with his injury. We have absolutely no idea if he is even going to play again, let alone perform to his previous level. It's a catch-22 on what to offer Maggs. If JR offers him a long-term expensive deal and he goes Albert Belle on the team, methinks everyone is going to be pissed. If Maggs goes elsewhere and excels, everyone is gonna be pissed. If he really, really, really wants to stay in Chicago, he will sign a 1 year incentive laden deal to PROVE that he can bounce back from this injury. I think that's fair.

jabrch
08-29-2004, 11:12 AM
He chose to not resign when he had a chance. It was not their fault. They made him an offer that was extremely generous, by any and all accounts. Magglio wanted more money, he wanted more of it up front, he wanted the 5th year guaranteed, he wanted, he wanted, he wanted.

Now he has a career threatening injury. I wonder what he thinks of the deals he turned down? The 5th year protection? Looks like KW was pretty smart - he probably should have had the FIRST year protected too.

This is all oin Ordonez. I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for him. He had a chance to take a nice deal - and he didn't. I hope he recovers, and plays very well in the future. But I am not interested in paying anything close to what we would have paid for him a few months ago.

jabrch
08-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Magglio's problem is marrow edema - not a torn meniscus.

Palehose13
08-29-2004, 11:16 AM
This is all on Ordonez. I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for him. He had a chance to take a nice deal - and he didn't. I hope he recovers, and plays very well in the future. But I am not interested in paying anything close to what we would have paid for him a few months ago.
:worship:

MRKARNO
08-29-2004, 11:26 AM
I'm wondering when the discussion is going to turn to Frank. We've seen life without Maggs and Thomas and it isn't pretty. It seems everyone is betting on the older player to bounce back from a season ending injury.
Two reasons why this discussion is not going to turn to Frank:

1. Frank has a stress fracture in his ankle. This is an injury which takes time to heal but is not really all that serious. Magglio's injury is much more serious than that from what I've heard everywhere.

2. Magglio is a free agent and Thomas has a mutual option. Thomas will excercize that option. He also has an '06 option which he'll probably excercize next year (unless the Sox buy him out, which they wont because it's a 3.5 mil buyout). Thomas is also a 10 and 5 guy so he can veto any trade and he probably will. Thomas is not going anywhere. Magglio probably is.

misty60481
08-29-2004, 11:26 AM
bone edema sounds like a disease more than an injury would he have had this problem if he were no injured??

munchman33
08-29-2004, 12:21 PM
bone edema sounds like a disease more than an injury would he have had this problem if he were no injured??
Bone adema is a bleeding within the bone marrow due to trauma. The collision caused it.

dcb33
08-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Bone adema is a bleeding within the bone marrow due to trauma. The collision caused it.The ironic part of that whole collision is that it looked like Wille took the brunt of the hit when it happened...

munchman33
08-29-2004, 09:04 PM
The ironic part of that whole collision is that it looked like Wille took the brunt of the hit when it happened...
Both the surgery and his rehab could have complicated issues. Bone ademas are both uncommon and difficult to treat. The fact the its the femur makes it a million times worse.