PDA

View Full Version : I liked Grilli's performance.

iwannago
08-28-2004, 02:08 PM
If you take away the first inning I and Ozzie think Grilli did a good job. I am looking forward to his next start.

Earlier I thought someone posted that Grilli is a clubhouse nightmare. Is this true?

Soxzilla
08-28-2004, 02:14 PM
He didn't suck as bad as stewart, munoz, scott, wright or diaz. He deserves another shot in my book.

Granted, those guys are all putrid, so thats not saying much.

Nard
08-28-2004, 02:20 PM
If that's true that he is a clubhouse nightmare, then that's just terrible.

Why do we always have to have all the headcase pitchers on the team?

:bkoch:
What I did tonight was just terrible, inexcusable, disgusting, atrocious.

http://montreal.expos.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/springtraining_2004/0307/373x323.jpg
I'm a starter. Starters don't pitch out of the pen.

:jon

That's just the way I pitch.

pasquasroachclip
08-28-2004, 03:14 PM
The problem is you can't take away the first inning, which was brutal. This sounds like the crap Wannestedt used to say "if you take away those three long touchdowns we gave up, we were in the ballgame."

kitekrazy
08-28-2004, 03:26 PM
The problem is you can't take away the first inning, which was brutal. This sounds like the crap Wannestedt used to say "if you take away those three long touchdowns we gave up, we were in the ballgame."
LOL, does that bring back memories.

It's almost as bad when the Sox had a chance to sweep the Yankees, Manuel defended the Cotts decision by saying, "I do know basbeball."

AnkleSox
08-28-2004, 04:51 PM
I think he deserves a few more chances this year. But if one big inning in an otherwise dominant performance is a recurring thing, all we have on our hands is another Jon Garland, although probably not as much of a prick.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2004, 05:06 PM
If you take away the first inning I and Ozzie think Grilli did a good job. I am looking forward to his next start.
"Other than that, President Lincoln, how did you like the play?"
:cool:

SOXSINCE'70
08-28-2004, 05:22 PM
The problem,as mentioned earlier in this thread,is that you can't take away that first inning.And while Grilli does deserve another start, i've seen enough of the Ramon Garcias,Johnny Ruffins,Scott Ruffcorns,Rodney Boltons,Arnie Munozes and Felix Diazes of the world.This off season more than any other off season,THE SOX MUST ADDRESS THE ISSUE OF THE # 4 AND 5 STARTERS!!! Garland isn't cutting it for me.I don't know if he can even be a consistant .500 pitcher.There are many issues KW must deal with this off season (Lack of depth "up the middle",an offense that can't manufacture runs,an offense that's too right handed,among other issues),but the #4 and 5 starter issue must be resolved before I have a mental breakdown.
(Not really,but you know what I mean.Watching this team could drive a tea
a tea totaller into alcoholism).:(: :(: :(:

pudge
08-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Okay true, it was a bad first inning, but does anyone else wonder why Grilli wasn't given a shot earlier, rather than bringing up an AA guy like Munoz, or re-trying an obviously overmatched guy like Diaz?

Grilli is a bit more of a veteran and was supposedly impressive in spring. It seemed to me that he would be the first option this season, even if he was struggling a little in AAA.

JB98
08-28-2004, 06:19 PM
I think he deserves a few more chances this year. But if one big inning in an otherwise dominant performance is a recurring thing, all we have on our hands is another Jon Garland, although probably not as much of a prick.

I agree he deserves a few more chances. At least he didn't get knocked out in the third inning. Admittedly, my standards for the fifth starter spot have dropped to an all-time low....

Soxzilla
08-28-2004, 08:05 PM
I'm being called up out of nowhere to face the league leaders in offense would give you a little first inning jitters. The good sign is that he settled down and pitched 4 innings of no earned run ball.

MisterB
08-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Garland isn't cutting it for me.I don't know if he can even be a consistant .500 pitcher.Jon Garland W-L:

2001 6-7
2002 12-12
2003 12-13
2004 9-9

Actually, that's frighteningly consistent....:(:

DrCrawdad
08-29-2004, 08:44 AM
...The good sign is that he settled down and pitched 4 innings of no earned run ball.

The pattern for Sox starters this season seems to be give up runs early then as soon as the Sox score a few the starter gives the runs right back.

It's funny though the statements of, 'If you dismiss the X runs he gave up in X inning(s) then it was a good start.' That sounds just like what I've heard time and time again from Cubbie broadcasters the last few years. I don't buy it.

All that said, I don't mind the Sox giving Grilli another start. Let's see what he can do and not judge him on one start.

Lem_Siddons
08-29-2004, 11:16 AM
KW will be searching for the next E-Lo. A cheap pick up who will have a career year and probably not find it next time. This off season has more holes and doubts than last.

At some point let it be AAA night at the ballpark, and confirm what we already know, there are no MLB ready starting pitchers in the system. :(: