PDA

View Full Version : Contreras > Loaiza

Kuzman
08-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Esteban still has yet to pick up a win in New York.. Also he is expected to go to the bullpen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240827114

SomebodyToldMe
08-28-2004, 02:03 PM
It appeared that yet again, when he's given a lead, he gives the runs RIGHT back.

Paulwny
08-28-2004, 02:28 PM
Once again the 2nd time through the batting order, the Jays had his 86-89-mph pitches timed. He can't throw a pitch over 90mph.

jortafan
08-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Hate to ruin this thread, but it doesn't matter how badly Esteban pitches for the Yanks or how well Contreras does for our Sox. There's no way any Yankees fan will ever get upset about the loss of Contreras.

Whether it's fair or not, Jose had a string of bad luck as a Yankee that made his departure inevitable.

It's the same way we feel about Billy Koch. Even if he were to get his stuff back and pitch adequately again in the major leagues, is there anyone among us who would want him back in a White Sox uniform?

Personally, I'm a Contreras fan and would want to see him overcome his rocky start in the U.S. majors, particularly if it helps our Sox contend for a pennant in the near future.

santo=dorf
08-28-2004, 07:57 PM
According to Rotoworld, Loaiza is out of the rotation. Where's the botox ***** and her "amazing deal" article?

fusillirob1983
08-28-2004, 08:29 PM
I've been giving one of my friends here at school a hard time about the trade, and he's from New York. He won't even let me complete a sentence because he'll keep saying how great it is that Contreras is out of New York. They're very happy he's gone and probably wouldn't have cared if they got nothing in return, even though they pretty much did.

nccwsfan
08-28-2004, 10:22 PM
I've been giving one of my friends here at school a hard time about the trade, and he's from New York. He won't even let me complete a sentence because he'll keep saying how great it is that Contreras is out of New York. They're very happy he's gone and probably wouldn't have cared if they got nothing in return, even though they pretty much did.
Thank him for us- their loss is our gain :bandance:

HomeFish
08-28-2004, 10:23 PM
"New York Energized" indeed.

Johnny Mostil
08-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Did anybody see this in the 30 Aug 04 Sporting News?

"The team corrected a flaw in the delivery of newly acquired RHP Jose Contreras, who was tipping his pitches. The club has encouraged him to use his 95-mph fastball to help set up his split-finger pitch, which can be a devastating out pitch. Contreras, who won his first three decisions with the team, has the best stuff on the staff, RHP Freddy Garcia included. The hope is he finally will reach his potential in Chicago."

Shame on me--if I had predicted which team would have "corrected" a pitcher in that trade, I doubt I would have said the White Sox.

fquaye149
08-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Shame on me--if I had predicted which team would have "corrected" a pitcher in that trade, I doubt I would have said the White Sox.
but looking back, it's not like stottlemyre is some sort of miracle worker. coop has taken a couple pitchers and made them passable (schoenweis for a while and of course ELO). meanwhile stottlemyre just happens to get the top pitching talent in baseball.

MRKARNO
08-29-2004, 12:29 PM
Did anybody see this in the 30 Aug 04 Sporting News?

"The team corrected a flaw in the delivery of newly acquired RHP Jose Contreras, who was tipping his pitches. The club has encouraged him to use his 95-mph fastball to help set up his split-finger pitch, which can be a devastating out pitch. Contreras, who won his first three decisions with the team, has the best stuff on the staff, RHP Freddy Garcia included. The hope is he finally will reach his potential in Chicago."
It was pretty obvious from last night's game that he was using the new pitching sequence which I have thought to be necessary since I saw him pitch. Hitters just are not going to go after two splitters to start the at bat in general. If Contreras continues to use the fastball to setup the splitter and doesnt fall back into bad habits, then there is no reason that he should regress back to the NY level of pitching.

Another thing I just noticed from looking at the stats is that Conteras has success when he has a good Groundball/flyball ratio. Last year in NY, he had a 1.71 ratio. He also had a lot of success that year. This year in NY, his ratio was cut in half to .85. He's back up to 1.74 so far in his month with us so he's back to his good ways.