PDA

View Full Version : September call-up predictions

A. Cavatica
08-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Since I like to watch kids -- they play hard, they aren't prima donnas, and once in a blue moon they're actually good -- I look forward to September call-ups. Unfortunately, it looks like we'll have a lean crop this year.

Birmingham will be in the playoffs, which will delay any call-up of Anderson or Spidale or Fields (the Elder) -- not that their chances were great to begin with. The Sox m.o. has been to bring up the major league veterans playing on minor league contracts (like Armando Rios, last year) and minor league lifers who had strong seasons (Tanyon Sturtze, a few years back).

If the Sox follow the same pattern, we could see Kelly Dransfeldt, Bry Nelson, and/or Bobby Smith; plus Jose Santiago and (if healthy) Kelly Wunsch. Nelson & Wunsch are the only two in this group who deserve it.

However, I have a hunch we'll get Wilson Valdez, because he's a favorite of Ozzie's (and is likely to be on the team next year). This is bad news for Dransfeldt/Nelson/Smith because they're all middle infielders.

Most of the Charlotte starters (Diaz, Munoz, Grilli, Stewart) have already failed auditions with Chicago. The Sox certainly won't recall all of them, but I figure Diaz and Munoz will come back up as relievers. Diaz had his best outing in relief, and Munoz has been a dominating reliever most of his career.

But that's two relievers, so forget Santiago. And it stacks the deck against Jeff Bajenaru, who's been the best reliever in our system this year and really deserves his shot.

So my predictions are Valdez, Diaz, & Munoz. All those z's will make Oz very happy.

MRKARNO
08-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Thank for the post Cavatica. I think that we should call up Anderson, especially if Birmingham falters earily in their playoffs. His timetable right now is for about August of next year and I think it would benefit him to see some major league pitchers this year (though we face the Tigers and Royals a lot so maybe there wont be that many).

nodiggity59
08-28-2004, 12:09 AM
When thinking about Anderson, and to some degree Borchard, it makes me want KW to unload Everret. I did support picking him up for this year b/c I had no faith in Rauch, but now I'm hoping he doesn't exercise his option.

BigEdWalsh
08-28-2004, 07:50 AM
I really hope the Sox bring up Anderson just to give him a taste of the big leagues. Also would like to see Nelson and Bajenaru brought up. I understand they're not exactly in the "prospect" category but they've performed well enough to deserve a callup. I'm hoping to hell the Sox don't bring Dransfeldt up. Valdez would be a wiser choice. Since Valentin is as good as gone, let's see what Valdez can do.

MRKARNO
08-28-2004, 11:02 AM
I really hope the Sox bring up Anderson just to give him a taste of the big leagues. Also would like to see Nelson and Bajenaru brought up. I understand they're not exactly in the "prospect" category but they've performed well enough to deserve a callup. I'm hoping to hell the Sox don't bring Dransfeldt up. Valdez would be a wiser choice. Since Valentin is as good as gone, let's see what Valdez can do.
Bajenaru is definately a prospect. Bryant Nelson is something like 30 years old.

misty60481
08-28-2004, 11:07 AM
So what if he is 30 if he can do the job we need him we seem to have a bunch of mid-twenty year olds that are not doing the job besides we are desperate in the infield.

NonetheLoaiza
08-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Thank for the post Cavatica. I think that we should call up Anderson, especially if Birmingham falters earily in their playoffs. His timetable right now is for about August of next year and I think it would benefit him to see some major league pitchers this year (though we face the Tigers and Royals a lot so maybe there wont be that many).
although you dont want to damage his confidence by just throwing him out there when he isnt ready a la mike caruso.