View Full Version : Best Of Chicago ESPN 25

Lip Man 1
08-27-2004, 09:54 PM
FYI, enjoyable read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/espn25/story?page=city/chicago&POLL183=100

Lip

santo=dorf
08-27-2004, 10:16 PM
Worst moment: What, besides the time Cubs manager Lee Elia blasted Cubs fans by saying, "They oughta go and get a (expletive) job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a (expletive) living. Eight-five percent of the (expletive) world is working. The other 15 percent come out here."

I thought it was hilarious!:roflmao:

What about the Strike in 1994?

flo-B-flo
08-27-2004, 10:34 PM

What about the Strike in 1994? Geez. I always thought this was a great moment in C-- history.:tongue:

cubhater
08-28-2004, 09:19 AM
Best moment: The Bears' Super Bowl triumph in January of 1986 was almost inevitable -- but still glorious. Nonetheless, we give the nod to the Bulls' first NBA triumph in 1991. Michael Jordan and Co. had lost to the Pistons three straight years in the playoffs, including the previous two conference finals. So when the Bulls swept Detroit in the East finals and then beat the Lakers for the title, the new king was finally crowned.

I'll take the Bears Super Bowl win and season compared to any title the Bulls won.

DSpivack
08-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Best moment: The Bears' Super Bowl triumph in January of 1986 was almost inevitable -- but still glorious. Nonetheless, we give the nod to the Bulls' first NBA triumph in 1991. Michael Jordan and Co. had lost to the Pistons three straight years in the playoffs, including the previous two conference finals. So when the Bulls swept Detroit in the East finals and then beat the Lakers for the title, the new king was finally crowned.

I'll take the Bears Super Bowl win and season compared to any title the Bulls won.
Amen to that. And at the time of Super Bowl XX I was.... not even 2 years old.

Johnny Mostil
08-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Disagree on the Bears for two reasons. First, a Bear ain't nothin' but a grown-up Cub. Second, the '85 team should have won more than one championship, but did not. The Bulls of the '90s won six.

For nearly the same reasons, I voted for the '96 Bulls (the first of a second three-peat) over the '85 Bears (the only championship year in the past 40+) as the single greatest team in Chicago history in the ESPN poll. I'm in a minority on that, I know, but that's only because the Bears (and football) have more fans. (If I gave a hoot about that, I wouldn't follow White Sox baseball.)

Orta 4-6-3
08-31-2004, 01:08 PM
Greatest day in Chicago Sports history? October 7, 1984: Walter Payton breaks Jim Brown's rushing record, and the Cubs choke away Game 5 in San Diego.

DumpJerry
08-31-2004, 04:11 PM
Greatest day in Chicago Sports history? October 7, 1984: Walter Payton breaks Jim Brown's rushing record, and the Cubs choke away Game 5 in San Diego.Well, arguably, we can add to the list any day on which the Flubs lose. Specific days can be games 6 and 7 against the Fish last October, all games in which the Sox beat them and the day they are mathematically eliminated each season (usually around May 12th :rolleyes: ).

We can also add: the day Billy Koch was traded, the day Frank was signed, the day Veeck bought the team, the day we signed Fisk, I think you get the idea.....:D:

Hangar18
09-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Well, arguably, we can add to the list any day on which the Flubs lose. Specific days can be games 6 and 7 against the Fish last October, all games in which the Sox beat them and the day they are mathematically eliminated each season (usually around May 12th :rolleyes: ).

We can also add: the day Billy Koch was traded, the day Frank was signed, the day Veeck bought the team, the day we signed Fisk, I think you get the idea.....:D:
Man .......... how about Steve Garveys Game Winner in the 1984 Playoffs?
I was about as Happy as Ive ever been ...... barring SOx Victories of course.
I still get goosebumps thinking how he lifted the Padres (and Sox Hopes)
on his shoulders and crushed cubbie hopes ......... about as strong an MVP performance as ive seen. Exhilarating.

DumpJerry
09-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Man .......... how about Steve Garveys Game Winner in the 1984 Playoffs?
I was about as Happy as Ive ever been ...... barring SOx Victories of course.
I still get goosebumps thinking how he lifted the Padres (and Sox Hopes)
on his shoulders and crushed cubbie hopes ......... about as strong an MVP performance as ive seen. Exhilarating.Quite true Hangar. I was living in Minnesota at the time. My friends up there could not understand how it was that one year earlier, I was as obnoxious as possible about the Sox being in the post season, but in '84, quiet as a mouse about the Flubs. I tried to explain that the Sox play in Chicago, Flubs on the North Side. Did not watch any of the games, but when I went to bed the night Garvey did his thing, Sutcliffe was pitching well, Flubs were in the lead, but I knew all would be safe. When I woke up the next morning, I learned that on the Seventh Day, God created Steve Garvey:D:

My friends up there still don't get it.

Fenway
09-04-2004, 12:02 PM

What about the Strike in 1994?
The unedited transcript

http://www.chicagobarproject.com/Reviews/WrigleyField/Elia.htm