PDA

View Full Version : This Day In Sox History 8/28

Lip Man 1
08-27-2004, 10:41 PM
This Date In Sox History 8/28

A pretty important day with perhaps the strangest game the Sox ever played!

1959: Sox 7 @ Cleve. 3 - The start of the biggest series of the season saw 70,000 plus in Municipal Stadium (thatís not a misprint!). Bob Shaw would get the win thanks to a three run home run from Sherm Lollar in the 7th inning, with a little help from former Sox star ĎMinnieí Minoso. Minoso had Lollarís drive for a split second before hitting the fence. The impact jarred the ball out of his glove and over for the game winner. The Sox were now 77-49 and led Cleveland by two and a half games.

1960: Sox 1 @ Balt. 3 - Of all the crazy games and things that have happened when the Sox played Baltimore, this one tops the list. It may have been the strangest game in team history! . The Sox started the day two and a half games behind the Yankees, who split a double header at Detroit. They trailed the Oís 3-1 going into the 8th. With two out, Luis Aparicio, Nellie Fox and Roy Sievers ripped consecutive singles, scoring a run and putting the tying runs on base. Manager Al Lopez called on Ted Kluszewski to pinch hit. Big Klu drilled the pitch from Milt Pappas into the right field stands for an apparent three run homer except for one small thing. Third base umpire Ed Hurley called time! Nobody remembered seeing him do it but he refused to change his call. Both Lopez and Fox were ejected in the confrontation afterwards. The next day Hurley was quoted as saying "I wish to heck I hadnít called it, Iíd gladly take it back.."End result was the Sox lost and were now three games behind the Yankees. Kluszewski later recalled that this game was the one that broke the teamís spirit. Early Wynn got the loss as the Sox fell to 71-53.

1966: Sox 4, Minn. 3 (15) AND Sox 7, Minn. 6 (11) - The fans payed for two games and almost saw three! In game #1 Tommy Agee singled home Wayne Causey with two out in the 15th to make a winner out of Joe Horlen. Horlen threw over three innings in relief! In the second game, Jerry Adairís home run settled matters with Hoyt Wilhelm notching the relief win. Two games, 26 total innings. The Sox were 68-64 and were in 5th place, fifteen and a half games behind the Orioles.

1972: Sox 6 @ Bost. 4 - Mike Andrews came back to haunt the team that traded him to Chicago before the start of the 1971 season. Mike had five RBIís including a three run home run. ĎGooseí Gossage got the relief win. The Sox were a half game ahead of the Aís at 71-50.

2003: Sox 5 @ N.Y. 7 - The move probably was the final straw in the Jerry Manuel era. The Sox had won eight of nine to grab first place, they had demolished the Yankees in the first two games of the three game series but instead of going for the sweep, Manuel elected to push back Mark Buehrle and start Neil Cotts. The move was disastrous on a number of fronts. Cotts didnít even make it out of the 1st inning, allowing three hits, four walks and five runs. Buehrle would then lose his game to the lowly Tigers and the move ignited a firestorm of controversy among the fans and the media. Sox record 71-63, one game ahead of the Royals who had won that day.

Lip

AnkleSox
08-27-2004, 11:56 PM
Ah so this is the day exactly one year ago when the whole season went to crap. I don't know if last year's sudden plunge or this year's was worse.

nodiggity59
08-28-2004, 12:10 AM
Ozzie hasn't had a braincrap like that......yet:tongue:

santo=dorf
08-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Ah so this is the day exactly one year ago when the whole season went to crap. I don't know if last year's sudden plunge or this year's was worse.It has to be last year with the high expectations after adding Colon and the defending Rolaids Relief man. We were dominating the Yanks on their home turf too. :(:

RKMeibalane
08-28-2004, 02:07 PM
:jerry

"I'm setting my rotation to beat the Tigers."

:jerry

"Winning two out of three games is more important than sweeping another team."

****ing Idiot -------------------------------------> :jerry

Soxzilla
08-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Ugh. Maybe this year will be a dramatic turnaround, hell we deserve it.:(