PDA

View Full Version : dump konerko???

JoseCanseco6969
08-27-2004, 03:00 PM
why the hell does everyone on this board think the sox should dump paulie's salary??? He is our best player currently and has been an allstar all season long not to mention he has become a fan favorite again. i think we should do the smarter thing and lock him up for a while. I just cant understand why everyone thinks we'd be better off without him. losing maggs and paulie in one season to other teams is PR nightmare waiting to happen.

Lem_Siddons
08-27-2004, 03:04 PM
The best reason I could think to dump Paul is betting every other year is an off year for him. Is the Real Paul 2003 or 2004? This could be a chance to sell high like with Estaban.

I think 2004 is closer to the Konerko we can expect in 2005 and hope they hang onto him. I think we should be reloading not rebuilding/

MRKARNO
08-27-2004, 03:07 PM
The real Konerko is the one of 2001, 2002 and 2004. 2003 was a fluke season-long slump. His value will not drop and his production will be important in 2005.

nccwsfan
08-27-2004, 03:10 PM
why the hell does everyone on this board think the sox should dump paulie's salary??? He is our best player currently and has been an allstar all season long not to mention he has become a fan favorite again. i think we should do the smarter thing and lock him up for a while. I just cant understand why everyone thinks we'd be better off without him. losing maggs and paulie in one season to other teams is PR nightmare waiting to happen.
Speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to "dump" Konerko or his salary at all, and I think that most people on these boards would say the same thing. However, this team is needing help in several areas, and with the upcoming loss of Maggs and a farm system lacking in top notch prospects this might be the best opportunity to get the most value out of trading Konerko.

Face it, this team needs an overhaul, and whether or not Konerko is on this team it's going to be a couple of years before we can have a realistic shot at the prize. Why not get a couple of players that fit the Ozzieball scheme of fundamentals? The salary's not the issue- it's getting the right mix of 25 here to play team baseball.

All that being said, I agree that he is a fan favorite and I wish nothing but the best for him.

Lem_Siddons
08-27-2004, 03:23 PM
However, this team is needing help in several areas, and with the upcoming loss of Maggs and a farm system lacking in top notch prospects
Would you agree that outfield is the one areas we seem to have a few decent prospects? Kong would help take up the offense slack from Maggs, like he is now.

nccwsfan
08-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Would you agree that outfield is the one areas we seem to have a few decent prospects? Kong would help take up the offense slack from Maggs, like he is now.
Yes, I would agree that the White Sox have good OF prospects. I'm hopeful that Sweeney and/or Anderson make their way to the bigs and produce, but that might be a couple of years from now. That still leaves holes in our starting pitching, relief pitching, and middle infield.

balke
08-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to "dump" Konerko or his salary at all, and I think that most people on these boards would say the same thing. However, this team is needing help in several areas, and with the upcoming loss of Maggs and a farm system lacking in top notch prospects this might be the best opportunity to get the most value out of trading Konerko.

Face it, this team needs an overhaul, and whether or not Konerko is on this team it's going to be a couple of years before we can have a realistic shot at the prize. Why not get a couple of players that fit the Ozzieball scheme of fundamentals? The salary's not the issue- it's getting the right mix of 25 here to play team baseball.

All that being said, I agree that he is a fan favorite and I wish nothing but the best for him.
Nccwsfan must speak for me too. I love paulie, but we need to acquire good pitching, and a better infield. He's an eligible candidate to help us do that. I bet he will do this good again, probably next year, but not too many years after. If he comes back, great. We can play long ball again, probably the best in the league if this team comes back healthy.

Salaries not the issue, it's the ability to make a good move for this team. It's hard for me to grow that "emotional fan" attatchment to the guy, cause many still regard Konerko as the Dodger's Konerko

jshanahanjr
08-27-2004, 04:17 PM
The Sox are getting so much bang for the buck with Konerko. He is producing with the likes of the leagues best for 2/3 to 1/2 the price. Why would anybody trade Konerko? He's been a stud for the Sox since 1999 minus 2003.

nodiggity59
08-27-2004, 04:26 PM
The Sox are getting so much bang for the buck with Konerko. He is producing with the likes of the leagues best for 2/3 to 1/2 the price. Why would anybody trade Konerko? He's been a stud for the Sox since 1999 minus 2003.
That's according to the NUMBERS. The Sox, due to their runs scored/given up, have been better than the Twins every year. Yet we still lose. It doesn't matter how good Konerko's numbers are, he's not a winner. He's one dimensional and can't do the little things it takes to win. He's a negative on the running game and has no range down the line or in the hole at 1st. Konerko is perfect for a fantasy team and horrible for actual in game situations (or at least the Sox are, with Pualie being a contributing member).

The only defense people have for him is that he puts up good numbers and works hard. That's not enough to earn $8.75mil. Get him outta town, it was good kowing him, honestly, but hes gotta go.

batmanZoSo
08-27-2004, 04:51 PM
He's nothing special in extra base hits, slow as molasses, no range in the field, streakier than fake Windex, doesn't walk, mediocre on base average and makes 8 million dollars. He's not good enough to justify 8 million of this teams salary budget. That money would be far better spent on pitching/leadoff hitter. He's a great fit on a team like LA or Boston who can always use a power 1st baseman and have a lot of money to throw around. With us he's just holding us back. Not really his fault, but that's the way it is.

beck72
08-27-2004, 04:57 PM

All that being said, I agree that he is a fan favorite and I wish nothing but the best for him.Well said. If the Sox could get 2, 3 potentially everyday players by trading PK, they should do it. A LH, gap hitting, sweet fielding 1B man would look nice on the Sox. It's not the money. It's getting guys who fit in Ozzie's style of play

batmanZoSo
08-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Well said. If the Sox could get 2, 3 potentially everyday players by trading PK, they should do it. A LH, gap hitting, sweet fielding 1B man would look nice on the Sox. It's not the money. It's getting guys who fit in Ozzie's style of play
And it's not about just appeasing Ozzie, it's just that his way is the right way. The only way in my opinion. We don't have to be the 82 Cardinals, just more balanced.

nccwsfan
08-27-2004, 05:52 PM
And it's not about just appeasing Ozzie, it's just that his way is the right way. The only way in my opinion. We don't have to be the 82 Cardinals, just more balanced.
Every offseason Sox fans say 'this will be an interesting offseason', but this one is shaping up to be veeeery interesting. The team they field on Opening Day 2005 could be a lot different. We'll see.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-27-2004, 05:54 PM
i love paul konerko. hes really good and my favorite sox player. all of you people who think "well we can get so much for him" can eat my poop. KONERKO=AWSOME KEEP 'IM:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

balke
08-27-2004, 05:56 PM
i love paul konerko. hes really good and my favorite sox player. all of you people who think "well we can get so much for him" can eat my poop. KONERKO=AWSOME KEEP 'IM:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:
can't argue w/ that.

NonetheLoaiza
08-27-2004, 06:36 PM
lock him up for how much? if hes willing to take 5-6 million a year, yea sure, lets lock him up...

JB98
08-27-2004, 09:13 PM
If we trade Konerko, who do we build our offense around? Borchard and Crede?

I think CLee, Konerko and Rowand are the pieces to build around. Hopefully, Frank comes back healthy, but it would be a mistake to count on it. I wouldn't gamble on Maggs either. We need to sign a leadoff hitter who can play either 2B or CF, or maybe SS. We can move Rowand to RF next year if we can get a CF. I'd retain Uribe as a bottom-of-the-order hitter, but we need to find two other infielders. Crede and Harris are not the answer, although I don't mind Willie in a reserve role.

Whitesox029
08-27-2004, 10:07 PM
why the hell does everyone on this board think the sox should dump paulie's salary??? He is our best player currently and has been an allstar all season long not to mention he has become a fan favorite again. i think we should do the smarter thing and lock him up for a while. I just cant understand why everyone thinks we'd be better off without him. losing maggs and paulie in one season to other teams is PR nightmare waiting to happen.1. I have been saying this at WSI for two years
2. There is no debating this point. Konerko is a vital building block of this team, like it or not, and I hope and believe that KW feels the same way I do.
Is the Real Paul 2003 or 2004? This isn't the right question. When you put it like this instead, the answer is really much more obvious:
Is the real Paul 2003 or 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2004?
It's not exactly like he's been alternating bad/good you know. '99 was his first year in a Sox uniform. 2003 was the first time he ever hit under .280, had less than 80 RBI, or less than 20 HR in a sox uni. 2003 was a fluke for Konerko just as it was for Loaiza.

A. Cavatica
08-27-2004, 10:41 PM
PK's other "good years" were actually average ones for a first baseman. This is the first season where he's actually hit well, and it's not over yet.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-27-2004, 10:43 PM
PK's other "good years" were actually average ones for a first baseman. This is the first season where he's actually hit well, and it's not over yet.
:thumbsup: true dat true dat

gosox41
08-28-2004, 09:20 AM
Because he's overpaid.

Bob

JB98
08-28-2004, 12:42 PM
If we trade Konerko, we'll have to go outside the organization to get a 1B. CLee and Gload are NOT the answer. Good free-agent 1B don't come cheap, and Konerko has earned his money this year. Yet another reason to keep him.

balke
08-28-2004, 02:07 PM
If we trade Konerko, we'll have to go outside the organization to get a 1B. CLee and Gload are NOT the answer. Good free-agent 1B don't come cheap, and Konerko has earned his money this year. Yet another reason to keep him.

Why do you think that? Lee would have better overall #'s at 1st than Paulie, and Gload may come close. I don't think we necessarily have to replace paulie with a paulie. Just someone adequate, and better at D. I think either Gload or CLee could do that fine. Granted, Gload would be a gamble, but Clee wouldn't.

balke
08-28-2004, 02:13 PM
If we trade Konerko, who do we build our offense around? Borchard and Crede?

I think CLee, Konerko and Rowand are the pieces to build around. Hopefully, Frank comes back healthy, but it would be a mistake to count on it. I wouldn't gamble on Maggs either. We need to sign a leadoff hitter who can play either 2B or CF, or maybe SS. We can move Rowand to RF next year if we can get a CF. I'd retain Uribe as a bottom-of-the-order hitter, but we need to find two other infielders. Crede and Harris are not the answer, although I don't mind Willie in a reserve role.

hehehe how about Frank, Rowand, Clee, possibly Maggs, and if not maggs, a good outfield #'s guy or good SS who takes maggs place.

We won Maybe 3 games out of the 5 spot this season. (I think only 2). We didn't win many last season, I think 1 or 2 then. OUr Bullpen is one of the worst in the league. I don't know if any of those wins were quality starts. Just think how much closer we'd be to 1st with people that can give up less than under 6 runs through 9...

Konerko is worth some pitching to me.

Whitesox029
08-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Because he's overpaid.

BobWhat do you suggest a HR crown contender get paid?

gosox41
08-29-2004, 08:07 AM
What do you suggest a HR crown contender get paid?
He's finally had his best year. Up until this year he has proven to be a player who has one great half and one lousy half. This year is different. But this could be a fluke.

My point is statistically, PK is average in his career when compared to tother first basemen. it shouldbe relatively easy to find a decent hitter at 1B for about 1/2 that and thenfilling other gaping holes this team has. That hitter may not win the home run crown, but does that matter?

It's just a matter of doing research and finding that hitter. When I have time later, I will do it but I'm running out now.

But one example of a great hitter that came relatively cheap when the first brought him in is David Ortiz. If memory serves correct, the Twins non-tendered him and let him go for nothing!! The Red Sox signed him cheap and he's paid off nicely. They're probably aren't too many Ortiz's out there, but there are some decent hitters that can play first base cheaply.

Bob

nccwsfan
08-29-2004, 09:31 AM
He's finally had his best year. Up until this year he has proven to be a player who has one great half and one lousy half. This year is different. But this could be a fluke.

My point is statistically, PK is average in his career when compared to tother first basemen. it shouldbe relatively easy to find a decent hitter at 1B for about 1/2 that and thenfilling other gaping holes this team has. That hitter may not win the home run crown, but does that matter?

It's just a matter of doing research and finding that hitter. When I have time later, I will do it but I'm running out now.

But one example of a great hitter that came relatively cheap when the first brought him in is David Ortiz. If memory serves correct, the Twins non-tendered him and let him go for nothing!! The Red Sox signed him cheap and he's paid off nicely. They're probably aren't too many Ortiz's out there, but there are some decent hitters that can play first base cheaply.

Bob
Paul's a very good player, and if there weren't so many holes that needed to be filled I'd say that the WS would be nuts to part with him. However, when is Konerko ever going to have this much trade value? If you can fill up 2 or more holes by trading PK and make this team better, then what's the smart thing to do? Think with the head and not the heart and you can at least make a case for him being dealt.

It's a tough call and we'll see what happens this winter I suppose.

hose
08-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Paul's a very good player, and if there weren't so many holes that needed to be filled I'd say that the WS would be nuts to part with him. However, when is Konerko ever going to have this much trade value? If you can fill up 2 or more holes by trading PK and make this team better, then what's the smart thing to do? Think with the head and not the heart and you can at least make a case for him being dealt.

It's a tough call and we'll see what happens this winter I suppose.

Thats exactly how I feel about Konerko. If the Sox had a higher payroll we wouldn't be even talking about moving Paulie, but Reinsy is a cheapskate.

Mohoney
08-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Why do you think that? Lee would have better overall #'s at 1st than Paulie, and Gload may come close.
Gload may come close to 38-40 HR and 115-120 RBI?

Not likely. Plus, he doesn't believe in drawing a walk.

If Ross Gload is our starting 1st baseman next year, or anything more than our utility man/lefty bat off the bench, I'm cancelling my partial season ticket package.

If I'm going to have to sit through Crede and watch as Maggs is replaced by Borchard, I sure as hell, at the very least, want Frank, Paulie, and Carlos Lee as a 3-4-5. Would Ross Gload be hitting 5th? Maybe Crede or Borchard hit 5th?

I'm sure I can find something better to spend my $29 on than that.

kittle42
08-29-2004, 11:49 AM
Gload may come close to 38-40 HR and 115-120 RBI?

Not likely. Plus, he doesn't believe in drawing a walk.

If Ross Gload is our starting 1st baseman next year, or anything more than our utility man/lefty bat off the bench, I'm cancelling my partial season ticket package.
Amen. The guy is a utility player and a pinch-hitter. That is all.

Tragg
08-29-2004, 01:58 PM
We shouldn't dump him.

But I would support trading him if we can fill some holes in return

owensmouth
08-29-2004, 02:07 PM
We shouldn't dump him.

But I would support trading him if we can fill some holes in return
Trade him to help fill JR's pockets

A. Cavatica
08-29-2004, 02:38 PM
I've got news for you -- either way you should cancel your package. This team sucks, and so does the core of players who are expected to be back, and so does the manager, and on throughout the organization. :mad:

CorkNKerrys
08-29-2004, 04:30 PM
People, this is just horrible. Poor Jerry Reinsdorf makes such a little amount of money on the team, he has resorted to writing books. Can't we help the guy out? He didn't get into the baseball business to inspire kids, lead a town, and bring glory to Chicago. These are unfair duties that have been thrust upon him.

All the lovable 90 year old wants is a few extra million to line his bedsheets with, a quiet, empty Ballpark where he can enjoy afternoons in peace, and as many minorities as he can employ and lord over. Who doesn't?

And then we come along, us evil ballfans with our winning agenda and our stars in our eyes. He didn't ask for this. He even tried to escape us by running away with the team to Indiana and Florida, but did we let him? No. And now look at what we've done. Maggs and Frank go down and injuries, and son of a bitch! A few other guys on the team try and pick up slack. Man, if it ain't one thing, it's another. Let him trade Paul. Let Magglio go, Let him pay Thomas $1100 a year, let him put a little league diamond in Left Field. It will help Ol' Uncle Jerry respect himself in the morning. And that's all I ask.

gosox41
08-30-2004, 08:54 AM
I've got news for you -- either way you should cancel your package. This team sucks, and so does the core of players who are expected to be back, and so does the manager, and on throughout the organization. :mad:

:dtroll:

Just so you know, A. Cavitca that should be 100% in teal. It's pure sarcasm but I don't know how to make a picture turn teal.

I just wanted to feel what it was like to be on the side that constantly supports all these guys, specifically KW and post that troll symbol.

And you know what, it doesn't feel good. In fact I felt like I was pulling a Baker ie. blaming everthing else but the real issues for the problems on this team.

So now I am coming back to your side( though I never left) and say the most obvious thing I can think of: 'Fire Kenny'

Bob