PDA

View Full Version : One fan's idea; Sign Beltran, dump Lee and Konerko

nodiggity59
08-27-2004, 02:39 PM
If Beltran signs for around $14mil next year, wouldn't it be better to get him and dump Paulie and CLee? They cost like $17mil between them next year and don't give much speed or plus D.

Obviously, King George would love to see Carlos in pinstripes but the Yankees need to sign at least two big time pitchers this offseason, so it's not inconceivable we could steal him. After all, the Angels did get Vlad instead of the Yanks and he is a remarkable long term investment.

As for Boras, he's an agent money talks.

MRKARNO
08-27-2004, 02:44 PM
That would be a terrible idea. The combined value of Lee and Konerko is much great than the value of Carlos Beltran and a replacement to fill the other spot. I dont even know if Beltran is alone really worth all that much more than either one individually. He might have speed, but it makes no sense to get rid of that kind of offensive production to have a little more speed.

chisox06
08-27-2004, 02:47 PM
If Beltran signs for around $14mil next year, wouldn't it be better to get him and dump Paulie and CLee? They cost like $17mil between them next year and don't give much speed or plus D.

Obviously, King George would love to see Carlos in pinstripes but the Yankees need to sign at least two big time pitchers this offseason, so it's not inconceivable we could steal him. After all, the Angels did get Vlad instead of the Yanks and he is a remarkable long term investment.

As for Boras, he's an agent money talks.
Dump Paulie and CLee? Maybe one but not both of those guys, especially considering it doesnt look like Maggs will be back. Lee and Paulie are our 2 biggest RBI producers, we at least need one of them in the lineup. Beltran would be a great player to have, and may be affordable considering Maggs should be gone, it's going to be interesting to see where he ends up.

Jamieboy
08-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Bad idea. Beltran is a great 5 tool player, but getting one star player for 2 very solid players makes little sense.

Rocky Soprano
08-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Keep Lee in LF, trade Paulie, sign Beltran in C, and Rowand moves to RF.

Sign Pavano.

nodiggity59
08-27-2004, 03:01 PM
I don't understand the loyalty to Paulie and CLee. I thought it was obvious: Paulie and CLee are good players who have not gotten the job done when it's been most important. That holds true all the way back to the Mariners series in 2000. I'm tired of seeing them fail, because that's all they've done for several years.

Beltran, on the other hand, is a gamer who steps up big in late inning situations all the time. His slump at Minute Maid, it appears, is due to the deep center field and he has had a hard time adjusting to not being able to use the middle of the field.

Let's get the gamer and focus the extra cash on a better infielder or pitching. I'm tired of having players who put up good numbers but are down right MEDIOCRE, not good, when it counts. And I'm especially tired of paying 17mil btwn them.

thepaulbowski
08-27-2004, 03:04 PM
You are telling me that this guy is worth 14 million year. He's hitting .265 this year. I have a hard time buying into that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6132

nodiggity59
08-27-2004, 03:09 PM
You are telling me that this guy is worth 14 million year. He's hitting .265 this year. I have a hard time buying into that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6132He's hitting .324 on the road and .206 at home. That .206 is inflated from better numbers in KC; he's batting in .100s at Minute Maid. He's not the 1st player (hitter, fielder, pitcher) to have freak troubles there b/c of the deep center field and other quirks.

I have an easy time buying a switch hitting 30-30 guy who's only 27.

Flight #24
08-27-2004, 03:38 PM
He's hitting .324 on the road and .206 at home. That .206 is inflated from better numbers in KC; he's batting in .100s at Minute Maid. He's not the 1st player (hitter, fielder, pitcher) to have freak troubles there b/c of the deep center field and other quirks.

Wait - he goes to a better hitters park and hits a lot worse.....and it's because of the park effect? :?:

Is he going to come to USCF and hit like .091 because "it's got a deep left field power alley" or something?

Brian26
08-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Two words for you:

Scott. Boras.

thepaulbowski
08-27-2004, 03:56 PM
He's hitting .324 on the road and .206 at home. That .206 is inflated from better numbers in KC; he's batting in .100s at Minute Maid. He's not the 1st player (hitter, fielder, pitcher) to have freak troubles there b/c of the deep center field and other quirks.

They have short porches in each LF & RF. Good hitters adjust to things. With this thinking, Bagwell's numbers should have declined when he left the Astrodome.

nodiggity59
08-27-2004, 04:18 PM
They have short porches in each LF & RF. Good hitters adjust to things. With this thinking, Bagwell's numbers should have declined when he left the Astrodome.He's been quoted as saying that it bothers his strategy at the plate. How hard is it to understand that the field just has him in a funk. At least he still produces on the road. When he goes into a funk, he's still a 30-30 guy. And remember, speed and defense never slump. When Paulie slumps, he puts up Borchard type numbers with no speed. Lee will never be a great clutch hitter and will always be streaky.

"Good hitters adjust to things."

By that reasoning Konerko and Lee are not good hitters.

When are people going to realize that the players we've been fielding are slow, streaky, not fundamentally sound, and timid in big time situations? Plus, Beltran has much better upside. The best we can hope for Konerko and Lee is that they don't regress.

I'll say this right now: The Sox would be better off with Beltran and, say, a better replacement for 3-4mil at 2B,SS,or3B than they are with Paulie and Lee. A great player and a solid player is better than two good players we HOPE will be great someday.

AnkleSox
08-27-2004, 05:25 PM
If Rowand continues the way he's playign now, he'll give us everything Beltran would except for switch hitting for a much cheaper price. (Okay maybe a little less defense, but nothing terrible.)

Jerome
08-27-2004, 05:32 PM
And remember, speed and defense never slump.

Speed and defense are very overrated. The Sox don't steal that much and really, how many games have they lost this year because of bad defense?

If he can hit, great. If his best attributes are speed and defense, he's a waste of money.

bigfoot
08-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Isn't this the BEST time to go after Beltran? With his avg down for this season, after changing teams, leagues, with the pressure on to produce BIG F/A year numbers at the same time, leading a flawed Astros team to the playoffs. Whatever team finally signs Beltran this/next will be getting the best CF in both leagues. I hope KW can make a good pitch for him. Boras or not! This wouldn't stop the real 'players' a bit.

Maybe he just doesn't like Houston! And who could blame him? Phew!

cornball
08-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Beltran is a a very good player, but the Sox will not get into a bidding war. I don't believe he is worth 14MM, but something considerably less the Sox will make a run.

There is not a long line of players that would prefer to play for the White Sox over other many teams for equal pay. Having said that, in order for the Sox to get a "big" name player they would have to over pay...but that will not happen.

I do agree with you, the Sox must be active in the FA market to have a chance next year. There needs to be addition without a trade off.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2004, 07:47 PM
With respect to the thread starter.

CARLOS BELTRAN IS NOT GOING TO SIGN WITH THE SOX.

Not today, not yesterday, not tomorrow.

Never, nyet, nada, zip, zilch.

His agent is Scott Boras. Jerry Reinsdorf hates Scott Boras. Boras is going to want mucho money... more then the Sox have EVER paid for a free agent. It's not happening.

Can we please finally put this delusional idea to bed?

Lip

bigfoot
08-27-2004, 11:19 PM
With respect to the thread starter.

CARLOS BELTRAN IS NOT GOING TO SIGN WITH THE SOX.

Not today, not yesterday, not tomorrow.

Never, nyet, nada, zip, zilch.

His agent is Scott Boras. Jerry Reinsdorf hates Scott Boras. Boras is going to want mucho money... more then the Sox have EVER paid for a free agent. It's not happening.

Can we please finally put this delusional idea to bed?

Lip
Lip, a fellow is entitled to a fantasy once a year, no?