PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember this game?

Chisox_cali
10-04-2001, 03:43 PM
Brewers 12 White Sox 9 (13)
Chicago, IL 7/11/90

I know it was 11 years ago but they're showing it on ESPN Classic on the 16th. I was 6 when this game was played so I wouldnt be able to remember any of it. I know the chances are slim anyone remembers anything from the game, just thought I'd take a stab at it.

Chisox353014
10-04-2001, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Chicago, IL 7/11/90

I know it was 11 years ago but they're showing it on ESPN Classic on the 16th. I was 6 when this game was played so I wouldnt be able to remember any of it. I know the chances are slim anyone remembers anything from the game, just thought I'd take a stab at it.

I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but was that the first turn-back-the-clock game? I can't think why else a Sox-Brewers game from '90 would be "classic".

PaleHoseGeorge
10-04-2001, 03:55 PM
Chicago, IL 7/11/90

That was the original "Turn Back the Clock Game" at Old Comiskey Park. It was the first time a team wore a throwback uniform for a regular season game. You can learn more about it inside the Old Comiskey Park feature at WSI.

Turn Back the Clock (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/TurnBackTheClock.html)

I was at that game. The Sox looked great in their 1917 uni's but played like crap. It was such a popular promotion, other teams started copying the idea almost immediately.

Chisox_cali
10-04-2001, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

That was the original "Turn Back the Clock Game" at Old Comiskey Park. It was the first time a team wore a throwback uniform for a regular season game. You can learn more about it inside the Old Comiskey Park feature at WSI.

Turn Back the Clock (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/TurnBackTheClock.html)

I was at that game. The Sox looked great in their 1917 uni's but played like crap. It was such a popular promotion, other teams started copying the idea almost immediately.

Thanks for the Info PHG. i guess I'll check that game out when it's on just to see the old uni's and to see old comiskey I went there a couple of times before it was demolished but the memories are fuzzy and fading this game will be a good reminder. I really envy you guys who have a photographic memory of the place i only have a few dark photos of my dad and I at a game that was rained out so at least i know i was there

RichieRichAllen
10-05-2001, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the Info PHG. i guess I'll check that game out when it's on just to see the old uni's and to see old comiskey I went there a couple of times before it was demolished but the memories are fuzzy and fading this game will be a good reminder. I really envy you guys who have a photographic memory of the place i only have a few dark photos of my dad and I at a game that was rained out so at least i know i was there

You we're six years old in '90, cali? *Gulp!* All of a sudden I'm feeling very old.

I remember my last official and unofficial game spent at the old park. The last official game in old Comiskey was in June, 90. My last unofficial game at the old park happened to coincide with my first official game at the new park.

I was in from California in August, 91 and an old buddy and I decided we'd make a day of it at the ballpark. It was my first game at the new Comiskey.

Across the street, all that remained of the old park were the outfield grandstands and bleachers. We got to the ballpark at about 11am (it was a night game ;-) and we both thought about how great it would be to sit in the bleachers of the old park one more time.

There was a gate surrounding the park, a small construction team working and one security guard patrolling the area (to our knowledge). After watching the guard for awhile, we noted he didn't really seem too into the job. So, we walked around the fence and found an "in". The only way in was if we picked up the fence from the bottom and shimmied in on our bellies. I had a video camera (which were quite large back then), but we both managed to slither our way into the park. After a couple of failed attempts at opening locked doors, voila! We gained entrance into the park. I got the video cam rolling as the two of us ran up the ramp to the bleachers. The two of us sat in the bleachers for a good 15 minutes reminicing on games past. It was f-ing great!

Suddenly, we noticed there were still torn up seats in the grandstand area (nothing whole, just the seats themselves). We made our way over and both found seats that were still in good shape. Next, we decided to survey downstairs where the concessions used to be.

We were both delighting in finding an old room fans could rent in right(?) field still intact below when all of a sudden we hear the footsteps of a security guard coming our way. So we ran up the ramp again, got very low to the ground and just waited it out. We must've been there a good 20 minutes. The only thing we could think of at the time was that instead of being in the new park that evening, we'd wind up in some local holding cell trying to post bail.

Eventually, the guard left. In the meantime, the two of us scrambled for the fence (seats and video cam in hand) and made our way out of the park. You talk about adrenalin flowing!

The video is still fun to watch. I forgot to turn it off while we ran from security so while you see a lot of "groundwork" you can still hear us talking and planning our strategy for getting out of there.

A couple of years later, I took the seat to an A's Fest when Harold was still with the team. Harold happened to be signing stuff that day, so I stood in line for his autograph. He got a big grin on his face when I handed over the seat for his signature. He asked me where I got it. I said something like "Dont ask, don't tell". He laughed, signed the seat (I've got a great photo of him signing it). I brought the seat to an A's-Sox game later in the year and almost shouted Carlton Fisk out to the right field bleachers to sign it during BP. He kept looking at me from a distance, squinting to see what I was holding. As he started walking toward me, some reporter grabbed him. Damn!

That's my story and I swear by it!

LongDistanceFan
10-05-2001, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen

now that is what a sox fan is all about........... great life experience........ way to go.!

RichieRichAllen
10-05-2001, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
now that is what a sox fan is all about........... great life experience........ way to go.!

Thanks, LDF! I'm frantically searching for the pic of Harold signing the seat, but I've got a lot of stuff in storage right now (and I'm afraid the seat and pic are holed up in a warehouse right now).

I'll post it when the dust clears.

mrwag
10-05-2001, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen

Thanks, LDF! I'm frantically searching for the pic of Harold signing the seat, but I've got a lot of stuff in storage right now (and I'm afraid the seat and pic are holed up in a warehouse right now).

I'll post it when the dust clears.

Forget the seat and picture, I wanna see the video!

I remember my last game in Old Comiskey. It was my 16th birthday, July 25 1990. Went with my dad (of course). That was the day Michael Jordon took batting practice. It was something I won't forget. I still remember walking through the tunnel from down-under to come up and see all the green. I miss that green color that was everywhere, the grass, seats, outfield walls... The blue in the new park just doesn't cut it.

Anyway, I remember the next time I saw the Old park in '91, how it was partially torn down. Chicago hasn't been the same since. I like the new park, but I sure do miss the old one.

duke of dorwood
10-05-2001, 12:32 PM
I was there too, it was packed. I left after the Sox batted and were leading, and got all the way home and the Brew Crew was still up. We sat way in the right field corner at the old park.

Joel Perez
10-05-2001, 01:00 PM
:shammy

Remember, I was in that game too!!!