PDA

View Full Version : Rowand's Swing?

Tekijawa
08-27-2004, 01:44 PM
How does that guy generate power when his hands move esentially from just the other side of his right hip to just beyond his left in his swing? There's no follow through, it just stops!

TimoPerez
08-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Magic

Iguana775
08-27-2004, 01:52 PM
How does that guy generate power when his hands move esentially from just the other side of his right hip to just beyond his left in his swing? There's no follow through, it just stops!
he has a very quick swing.

Deadguy
08-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Don't care, just happy that he has the 7th highest OPS in the league. That is fabulous for a CFer, and I pray to God this isn't just a fluke. It's a testament to a terrific off season work ethic that puts him in the position to max out his potential as a baseball player.

I look at him as essentially the anti-Konerko. He is a guy who probably has no business being on a Major League roster, yet right now he is easilly one of the best players in the league. Konerko, on the other hand, is a former Minor League Player of the year with loads of talent, who seems to possess the David Wells off season work ethic, and just coasts along without maxing out his potential. We need more guys like Rowand, and less guys like Konerko.

Wanne
08-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Very compact...mostly forearms and wrists. Bet you won't see him tear his labrum like Sexson did. Joe Crede's swing leave him very susceptible to a shoulder injury.

Tekijawa
08-27-2004, 02:07 PM
he has a very quick swing.It still doesn't look right, it looks very mechanical. His swing reminds me of back in the day when my Thunder Punch He-Man would Sword fight with My Thunder Punch Skeletor. I wonder who's running the little lever in his back?
:)

Palehose Pete
08-27-2004, 02:21 PM
I look at him as essentially the anti-Konerko. He is a guy who probably has no business being on a Major League roster, yet right now he is easilly one of the best players in the league. Konerko, on the other hand, is a former Minor League Player of the year with loads of talent, who seems to possess the David Wells off season work ethic, and just coasts along without maxing out his potential. We need more guys like Rowand, and less guys like Konerko.

How can you say this about Paulie? What evidence to you have to even make this claim? He is in the tops for in the AL for HR's this year and is hitting near .290. He can't run, that's true, but that's no reason to slag a man's work ethic. From what I've read and heard about and from the two, I personally think that Paulie and Aaron are cut from the same cloth: They take tremendous pride in what they do, are humble about their place in the game and never take it for granted.

Blueprint1
08-27-2004, 02:39 PM
How can you say this about Paulie? What evidence to you have to even make this claim? He is in the tops for in the AL for HR's this year and is hitting near .290. He can't run, that's true, but that's no reason to slag a man's work ethic. From what I've read and heard about and from the two, I personally think that Paulie and Aaron are cut from the same cloth: They take tremendous pride in what they do, are humble about their place in the game and never take it for granted.
This is also what i have herad. I think its known how hard Paulie works on his hitting.

Randar68
08-27-2004, 02:58 PM
This is also what i have herad. I think its known how hard Paulie works on his hitting.
If only he worked that hard on his conditioning. He's only getting paid what, 8 million this year? You'd think he could afford a personal trainer and dietician in the offseason.

SOXSINCE'70
08-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Just thank God he's on the Sox!!:cool: :cool:

And while you're at it,let's hope Ben Davis' surge isn't a fluke as well!!:smile: :smile:

PatK
08-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Aaron has also changed his stance from last year. It looks like he's batting a lot less open, and less turned out. I don't see how he could hit last year.

Aaron has a short swing, but it's the bat speed that generates the power.

You can tell he's been working with Greg Walker, whom I believe is a Charley Lau disciple.

I never used to believe in Lau's teachings, until I bought Charlie Jr.'s book. Although they seem stupid and the opposite of what everyone is taught (like the one-handed swing follow through), they make sense when you begin to understand the theory behind them. I know it's improved my hitting when I play baseball.

jenmcm76
08-27-2004, 05:14 PM
I think one of the reasons Aaron gets the bat around so fast is how he's built. Not to discount how hard he works, but ever notice how angled the tops of his shoulders are? Most other guys' collarbones are pretty horizontal, but Aaron's looks like a big inverted V. His shoulders sloping down like that naturally makes for a much more compact swing.

Iguana775
08-27-2004, 05:18 PM
I think one of the reasons Aaron gets the bat around so fast is how he's built. Not to discount how hard he works, but ever notice how angled the tops of his shoulders are? Most other guys' collarbones are pretty horizontal, but Aaron's looks like a big inverted V. His shoulders sloping down like that naturally makes for a much more compact swing.
Gotta be roids!

speaking of open stances...has borchard always had an open stance? last nite his stance was a little open. i never noticed that before.

batmanZoSo
08-27-2004, 05:57 PM
He does follow through, he just doesn't go all the way which is really unnecessary. He gets his muscles worth in his swings. He's also got a really strong lower body and gets a lot of torque with his hips and ab area. Sounds weird but a ton of power is generated in the core of your body and he uses it fully. Thomas is much more arm/shoulder/chest oriented with his power. Because he flat out can be. McGwire and Rowand are similar in this department, very little movement, great core strength, great torque. It's just that McGwire had arms like Thomas to back it up...and no I'm not comparing the two in ability.

Evman5
08-27-2004, 06:02 PM
Don't care, just happy that he has the 7th highest OPS in the league. That is fabulous for a CFer, and I pray to God this isn't just a fluke. It's a testament to a terrific off season work ethic that puts him in the position to max out his potential as a baseball player.

Excuse me, but how can you say he did not belong on the major league roster?

Please read......

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player_career.jsp?player_id=400023

Minor League Highlights
2001: Named the Charles W. Lubin Award winner at Class AAA Charlotte, the second time in three years he has received the award (Class A in 1999)...hit .304 with 11 home runs and 33 RBI in 65 games for the Knights...ranked among the International League leaders in average, hits, doubles (23), extra-base hits (34) and runs scored (40) at the time of his promotion on 6/15...was named to the IL All-Star Team but did not play following his promotion to the White Sox.

2000: Named the No. 8 Prospect in the White Sox organization in a postseason poll by Baseball America...was cited by the same publicaton as the No. 20 Prospect and as having the Best Outfield Arm in the Southern League...finished fifth among all Class AA players in RBI (98) in his first season at Birmingham...led the SL in RBI, ranked second in outfield assists (18), fourth in runs scored (80) and tied for fourth in home runs (20)...selected to the SL midseason and postseason All-Star Teams...ranked among the organizational leaders in nine of 13 offensive categories...led team in games played (139), triples (five) and RBI while finishing second in runs scored (80), hits (137), total bases (233), doubles (26), home runs, hit-by-pitches (14) and stolen bases (22)...hit two home runs, including a grand slam, with six RBI on 7/20 at Mobile...played for Caguas in the Puerto Rican Winter League, batting .297 (44-148) with three home runs and 14 RBI. 1999: Was named by Baseball America 1998: Made pro debut at Class A Hickory, where he batted .342 in 61 games...led team in on-base percentage (.413) and average and ranked second in triples (three) and slugging percentage (.500)...had eight RBI in four games from 7/12-15...posted a nine-game hitting streak from 7/11-19 to improve his average from .309 to .342...was recommended/signed by Ed Pebley and Ed Crosby.

A-row was a high draft pick and is a good prospect. I am not suprised the slightest bit by his success at the Major leagu level. The only reason why this did not happen sooner was he never got consistent playing time and his dirt bike injury. I have been a supporter of A-row since he first came up to the big leagues and I still am his biggest backer! I see no reason why he cannot mantain his current level of play and even improve!!!!!

balke
08-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Excuse me, but how can you say he did not belong on the major league roster?

Please read......

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player_career.jsp?player_id=400023

Minor League Highlights
2001: Named the Charles W. Lubin Award winner at Class AAA Charlotte, the second time in three years he has received the award (Class A in 1999)...hit .304 with 11 home runs and 33 RBI in 65 games for the Knights...ranked among the International League leaders in average, hits, doubles (23), extra-base hits (34) and runs scored (40) at the time of his promotion on 6/15...was named to the IL All-Star Team but did not play following his promotion to the White Sox.

2000: Named the No. 8 Prospect in the White Sox organization in a postseason poll by Baseball America...was cited by the same publicaton as the No. 20 Prospect and as having the Best Outfield Arm in the Southern League...finished fifth among all Class AA players in RBI (98) in his first season at Birmingham...led the SL in RBI, ranked second in outfield assists (18), fourth in runs scored (80) and tied for fourth in home runs (20)...selected to the SL midseason and postseason All-Star Teams...ranked among the organizational leaders in nine of 13 offensive categories...led team in games played (139), triples (five) and RBI while finishing second in runs scored (80), hits (137), total bases (233), doubles (26), home runs, hit-by-pitches (14) and stolen bases (22)...hit two home runs, including a grand slam, with six RBI on 7/20 at Mobile...played for Caguas in the Puerto Rican Winter League, batting .297 (44-148) with three home runs and 14 RBI. 1999: Was named by Baseball America 1998: Made pro debut at Class A Hickory, where he batted .342 in 61 games...led team in on-base percentage (.413) and average and ranked second in triples (three) and slugging percentage (.500)...had eight RBI in four games from 7/12-15...posted a nine-game hitting streak from 7/11-19 to improve his average from .309 to .342...was recommended/signed by Ed Pebley and Ed Crosby.

A-row was a high draft pick and is a good prospect. I am not suprised the slightest bit by his success at the Major leagu level. The only reason why this did not happen sooner was he never got consistent playing time and his dirt bike injury. I have been a supporter of A-row since he first came up to the big leagues and I still am his biggest backer! I see no reason why he cannot mantain his current level of play and even improve!!!!!
I like ESPN's too, paints a clearer picture... less... elip...ses

Scouting Report

2003 Season
After forcing his way into the lineup as the regular center fielder in the second half of 2002, Aaron Rowand tore up in his left shoulder in a dirt bike accident. It cost him the momentum he had gained. Rowand was sent to Triple-A Charlotte when his batting average dipped to .133 on May 1. He returned and hit very well in June and July (.403), but took a seat on the bench after the acquisition of Carl Everett.

Hitting, Baserunning & Defense
Rowand is an aggressive hitter who appears to be becoming less patient at the plate. He is a line-drive hitter but can generate power from his strong upper body. Rowand stole bases in the minor leagues but didn't attempt a steal last year. He doesn't look like a prototype center fielder but gets the most out of his ability.

And today's Article on Rowands Power on MLB.com: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040826&content_id=839151&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

"We need a guy who gets on base. I don't want to be one-dimensional. I want to hit for a high average, drive in runs and score a lot of runs. Run production is the biggest thing because that's how you win games."

Mission accomplished for Rowand through 124 games. His .316 average ranked him 10th in the American League entering Thursday's series opener in Cleveland and his 14 stolen bases lead the White Sox. He has been one of the few consistent players during a rough, 9-14 August for the South Siders. His 22 runs scored ties the American League-best and his eight home runs leaves him tied for second.

There are no tricks to hitting home runs, at least none found by Rowand. It's a function of following his everyday offensive approach and taking advantage of pitchers' mistakes. In the ninth inning of Wednesday's 5-4 loss at Detroit, Rowand launched a changeup from Ugueth Urbina for a three-run shot that brought the team into late contention. The Detroit closer retired Rowand during a previous at-bat with that same pitch, but this offering was expected and up in the zone.

balke
08-27-2004, 06:45 PM
What's Rowand's exact contract situation? I can never figure out years left and options and such. Can sox get him back on a team option? Or is he straight up free agent? Cause he could theoretically be a super costly player next season. Maybe making Beltran $$$.

OurBitchinMinny
08-27-2004, 06:49 PM

.243 w/ RISP...Guy has improved drastically but needs to become more clutch

OurBitchinMinny
08-27-2004, 06:50 PM
What's Rowand's exact contract situation? I can never figure out years left and options and such. Can sox get him back on a team option? Or is he straight up free agent? Cause he could theoretically be a super costly player next season. Maybe making Beltran $$$.
Thats a good one. Beltran money? Are you insane. Rowands a pretty good ballplayer, but beltran is far and away a better player both defensively and offensively. If the sox pay him beltran money they need their heads examined

balke
08-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Thats a good one. Beltran money? Are you insane. Rowands a pretty good ballplayer, but beltran is far and away a better player both defensively and offensively. If the sox pay him beltran money they need their heads examined
Should've said "close to". And who says the sox would be the ones paying it?

Beltran strikes out way more. Doesn't have a great average, and is the the same age. But his SB's and HR would put him way over the top.

Forget the comparison, is he a straight FA or what?

SoxFan76
08-27-2004, 07:10 PM
.243 w/ RISP...Guy has improved drastically but needs to become more clutchBut he's a leadoff hitter. As long as he is getting on base and scoring runs, I could care less what his RISP avg is.

edit, post number 1,000!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

idseer
08-27-2004, 07:52 PM
.243 w/ RISP...Guy has improved drastically but needs to become more clutchaccording to espn stats he's hitting .257 with risp ... not .243.

since i'm tired of seeing this stat thrown around so much i decided to investigate the risp phenomenon.
guess what? it's a STUPID STAT!

right now soriano is hitting .238 with risp!
piazza is hitting .238 with risp!
andruw jones is hitting .232 with risp!
palmiero is hitting .226 with risp!
EDIT: beltran is hitting .257 with risp
the great clutch hitter posada ... is hitting .253 with risp!

and there's plenty more. some very crappy hitters are hitting over .300 with risp.

this stat changes yearly for almost every player from good to real bad to very good to poor.

you don't "become clutch". clutch is a little talent and a whole lot of luck!

let me end with this ....last year rowand hit .406 with risp. :o:
the year before that he hit .295 with risp. :o:

you don't LEARN to hit better with men on. and rowand doesn't need to do a damn thing different than he's doing.

can we put this risp wives tale bs to sleep?

MisterB
08-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Should've said "close to". And who says the sox would be the ones paying it?

Beltran strikes out way more. Doesn't have a great average, and is the the same age. But his SB's and HR would put him way over the top.

Forget the comparison, is he a straight FA or what?
Rowand is arbitration eligible and won't be FA until after the '07 season. He should get a good bump up, but will have to put up '04-like numbers for a couple more years before he gets 'Beltran money'. Relax.

balke
08-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Rowand is arbitration eligible and won't be FA until after the '07 season. He should get a good bump up, but will have to put up '04-like numbers for a couple more years before he gets 'Beltran money'. Relax.
cool, thank ye. I just like this guys prospects. That's a lot of pop in the bat for someone stealin 14 bases, only caught 3 times. I'm happy/hoping he'll be with the sox.

mike squires
08-28-2004, 09:56 PM
Doesn't Rowand's bat also appear shorter than the average hitters bat? I'm sure that helps him get through the zone but it also seems like it would be harder to cover on the outside part of the plate...

awesomefan
08-30-2004, 03:17 AM
I have no complaints about Aaron Rowands swing & batting style. As a matter of fact, I love his batting stance & the way he shows such concentrates at the plate.:D:

Hawk was just talking about how some great players mostly use their arms to swing at he ball. Not much hip or leg movemnt. Jim Edmonds was one example he used.:tongue:

Aarons batting stance reminds me of Paul Molitor who has one of the biggest records for hits in baseball history.:cool:

I look at it this way....once the batter makes contact with the ball, the ball is long gone after the player continues to swing.:wink:

I think Aaron has a very good eye for the ball & times the ball to hit it when it is directly over the plate & not much follow thru is necessary.:rolleyes:

Aaron Rowand is no fluke & will continue to pound the baseball as long as he continues his style & determination coupled with his awesome concentration & work ethics & love of the game.:tongue:

awesomefan
08-30-2004, 03:48 AM
Evman5: Thanks a ton for posting those awesome stats on My Man Awesome Aaron Rowand.:wink:

I too have been one of Aarons biggest fans & have defended him many many times before he got the chance to play regularly & get to show everyone how great he can be.:D:

Thanks to Idseer & all others who support Aaron.:smile:

Most of the other Sox players need to take some lessons from Aaron on his thought processes for hitting a Major League thrown baseball. Don't get me started on the ugliness of Carl Everett's batting stance & form at the plate & his ugly stats to go along with them....not to mention his thought processes....egads:angry:

Uh....I have to add Juan Uribe to that ugly batting style thangy. At least he has some good days regardless & his shortstop abilities are pretty good because he has an awesome arm out there. This man just needs to learn some style & discipline at the plate.:wink:

owensmouth
08-30-2004, 03:58 AM
Uh....I have to add Juan Uribe to that ugly batting style thangy. At least he has some good days regardless & his shortstop abilities are pretty good because he has an awesome arm out there. This man just needs to learn some style & discipline at the plate.:wink:
A little speed and range would help immensely, as would a bit more descretion

Hangar18
08-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Have you seen the size of his arms? The guy is built, combine
that with the fact that hes got a Very Quick Swing (not like joe credes)

balke
08-30-2004, 05:25 PM
.322 20 hr 32 2b Short swings make big #'s

Happy belated b-day ar-row

Baby Fisk
08-30-2004, 05:36 PM
How does that guy generate power when his hands move esentially from just the other side of his right hip to just beyond his left in his swing? There's no follow through, it just stops!One of these days, he'll get that bunt down. Give him time... :cool:

balke
09-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Aaron Rowand is one of the hottest hitters in baseball, let alone the White Sox, with a .353 average since the All-Star break. Rowand leads AL center fielders in average (.320), home runs (19), slugging percentage (.599) and extra-base hits (51) - MLB.com players to watch

More Rowand strokin.

Gotta have something to happy about though. Go Ar-row!

Tekijawa
09-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Even more impressive when you compare him to Corky

AVG HR Slugging Extra base hits
Sosa .259 29 .531 48
Rowand .320 20 .579 56
Alou .283 33 .543 61