PDA

View Full Version : Ross Gload

NonetheLoaiza
08-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Does Ross Gload have a future on this team as a left handed bat off the bench? As a pinch hitter and spot starter, he seems to be holding his own, even against lhp. he has 6 hits in 13 at bats against lhp. it seems that we should put him out there tonight and see if he can get good at bats against lhp. granted, cc sabathia isnt a good pitcher to build confidence against, but tis the season to experiment. maybe a start tonight?

ps...i know he is awful in the OF

Soxzilla
08-27-2004, 12:38 PM
I think he would be a great player off the bench for next year. He can play the hot corner right? Or just 1B?

JRIG
08-27-2004, 12:44 PM
I think he would be a great player off the bench for next year. He can play the hot corner right? Or just 1B?
Just 1B/DH. And no more outfield, please.

thepaulbowski
08-27-2004, 12:47 PM
Ross Gload is a very valuable LH pinch hitter. He has done a great job at that this year. He has filled the role the Sox had been looking for. Daubach couldn't do it last year.

Wanne
08-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Ross Gload = Jeff Liefer IMO. Serviceable...but nothing spectacular.

SoxFan76
08-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Everybody knows that, but I interpreted your post as negative. He's a bench player, nothing more. He is a good pinch hitter from the left side. Keep him I say, unless they can get a better option.

StillMissOzzie
08-27-2004, 02:25 PM
I 2nd that emotion. I saw enough Gload in RF to last me for a lifetime, thanks.

SMO
:gulp:

Lem_Siddons
08-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Every team has to have some cheap guys to fill minor roles. He's got a nice future in MLB as a spot starter and reasonable fill in. If he's the primary Kong backup, we have to hope Kong stays healthy.

That would be 2005, who cares today?

balke
08-27-2004, 04:27 PM
YEah, in pre-season Hawk talked like he was only a 1st basemen, and a good power hitting 1st basemen. Then I went to a game where he came late in the game to play the field... and I was like ???:?: ???

ALthough his numbers aren't great, if the guy starts making more contact I think he's a great 1st basemen prospect. I wouldn't be too afraid starting him at first if we had no other options next season, because he seems comfortable there. He's hitting .285 coming off the bench, hits .462 against lefties.
Looking at his stats, this seems to be an off year defensively for him. he was 1.000 in outfield and @ 1st prior, but with few starts. I still don't trust him, I squirm everytime I see him in the outfield.

Soxzilla
08-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Except liefer couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door. There is a 50 point difference in the avg. and liefer was a strike out machine.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2004, 07:32 PM
To answer the question, if the Sox don't raise payroll 'yes.' If they do, 'he gone!'

Lip

JB98
08-27-2004, 08:59 PM

I wouldn't make that comparison at all. Gload is a line-drive hitter and puts the ball in play most of the time, even though he doesn't have much pop. Liefer could hit the ball to the moon. Unfortunately, he only made contact once out of about every three at-bats.

I like Gload, as long as he is limited to the role he is in right now. I wouldn't want to see him out there everyday.