PDA

View Full Version : Col catcher.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 02:17 PM
i was just reading on a another site that the rockies are not too pleased with ben pentrack (sp) defense and have already said that they might try him in the OF next yr...... i wonder if they would be interested in something we have for him.........

Now for randar and "V", Ben was suppose to have been a can't miss prospect, so what are your take on him as a catching prospect?

Randar68
10-04-2001, 02:22 PM
Now for randar and "V", Ben was suppose to have been a can't miss prospect, so what are your take on him as a catching prospect?

I don't watch much NL, but from what I've seen, he's like a Jason Kendall, but less hitting and mediocre defense...don't really know.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I don't watch much NL, but from what I've seen, he's like a Jason Kendall, but less hitting and mediocre defense...don't really know. well thanks anyways.

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 02:25 PM
Well despite the fact that he was a top QB coming out of college, he doesn't throw particularly well. According to scouts, he has a hitch in his throwing motion that prohibits him from gunning down runners. In addition, he's pretty stiff behind home plate, here's a quote from BA: "He needs to be more reactive behind the player and loosen up."

His bat is what brought him to the dance. I don't like how the Rockies handled him this year, giving the starting job to Brent Mayne, and then acquiring Sal Fasano.

I still believe he'll become a good catcher; reminscient of Jason Kendall.

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 05:06 PM
correction: Petrick was a highly touted signal caller coming out of high school; he didn't attend college.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
correction: Petrick was a highly touted signal caller coming out of high school; he didn't attend college. sounds like a project, i still wonder if he is still worth the gamble? How good is his bat?

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 07:38 PM
Good bat, primarily a line drive hitter, can steal 20 bases if Manuel would run a little bit, and developing power.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Good bat, primarily a line drive hitter, can steal 20 bases if Manuel would run a little bit, and developing power. thanks

beausox
10-04-2001, 08:00 PM
The Rockies main complaint with Petrick is his defense. They still like his bat and see him as a 40+ HR guy. They want to move him to the OF.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by beausox
The Rockies main complaint with Petrick is his defense. They still like his bat and see him as a 40+ HR guy. They want to move him to the OF. i didn't think his bat was that good, or is it the col factor?

Spiff
10-04-2001, 11:04 PM
One guy I'd like to get from Colorado is Brent Butler, the infielder. The Rockies have Jose Ortiz now, the Sox could prolly get him cheap. If Ray starts to slip, put him in there and see what he can do. He might not have as much power, but he's got a hell of a motor, the kind of player the Sox need more of.