PDA

View Full Version : Jason Grilli to start tommorow

Etownsox13
08-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Dave wills just said Garcia was scratched for tommorow. Oh No, not another 5th starter.

santo=dorf
08-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Dave wills just said Garcia was scratched for tommorow. Oh No, not another 5th starter.
:(:
I certainly hope nothing is seriously wrong with Freddy.

calderon
08-26-2004, 10:05 PM
can we score 14 runs again???

Soxzilla
08-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Yeah sure...

........If grilli pitches for the indians too.

Win1ForMe
08-26-2004, 10:07 PM
So what's wrong with Freddy, did Wills say anything? :(:

Etownsox13
08-26-2004, 10:10 PM
So what's wrong with Freddy, did Wills say anything? :(:
Not sure, it didn't sound like he would miss an additional start

calderon
08-26-2004, 10:11 PM
So what's wrong with Freddy, did Wills say anything? :(:probably has a dead arm after Ozzie left him in to throw 5,000 pitches last game.

Win1ForMe
08-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Not sure, it didn't sound like he would miss an additional start
Nice to know Dusty Jr. left him in for 118 pitches last game.

nitetrain8601
08-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Here comes to knowledgeable fans analyzing pitch count to pitch count.

Anyway, I think right now the Sox are just evaluating pitchers for 2005. I say bench Buehrle, Garcia, and Contreras since we're not making the playoffs, see who's decent and get a better draft pick in the amateur draft while we're at it.

JB98
08-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Garcia has tightness in his right forearm.

Stewart will be sent to the minors to make room for Grilli.

From the AP story:

"It's not a big deal," Guillen said. "We'll skip him for a start. I think that is all he will have to miss. We don't want to take a chance and make it worse."

Grilli is 9-9 with a 4.83 ERA at Charlotte.

JB98
08-26-2004, 11:17 PM

Anyway, I think right now the Sox are just evaluating pitchers for 2005. I say bench Buehrle, Garcia, and Contreras since we're not making the playoffs, see who's decent and get a better draft pick in the amateur draft while we're at it.

You can't be serious. That's not fair to Buerhle, Garcia and Contreras, who have done nothing wrong. They are paid to compete for 162 games. It's not fair to the position players, who would have no chance to win playing behind the likes of Diaz, Stewart, Grilli, Munoz, et al every day. That's not fair to the fans who pay major league prices and deserve to see major league pitchers. That's not fair to Major League Baseball itself. We may not be going to the playoffs, but we still have some teams in contention left on our schedule. The integrity of the game is more important than "evaluating pitchers for 2005."

Win1ForMe
08-26-2004, 11:36 PM
"It's not a big deal," Guillen said. "We'll skip him for a start. I think that is all he will have to miss. We don't want to take a chance and make it worse."
That's probably Sox-speak for "he's done for the season."

JRIG
08-26-2004, 11:41 PM
That's probably Sox-speak for "he's done for the season."Unless Freddy goes to Ozzie and tells him he really, really, pretty-please wants to make a start. Right Mags?

:maggs
"Just tell Uncle Ozzie you feel all better!"

kittle42
08-26-2004, 11:52 PM

:postsucks

Damn! No tag. Had to give it a try.

Win1ForMe
08-27-2004, 12:03 AM
Is a strained forearm related at all to elbow problems? Earlier in the year when Andy Pettitte had his forearm strain (as was then described), I was surprised to hear Dave Otto say that basically means trouble with the elbow. Sure enough, Pettitte eventually had elbow surgery which ended his season.

As long as his shoulder is OK, I guess I won't panic too much.

Mohoney
08-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Prediction for Grilli's outing tomorrow:

5.1IP 8H 4R 4ER 3BB 2K and a win.

HebrewHammer
08-27-2004, 12:08 AM
That's probably Sox-speak for "he's done for the season."There's only one team in this city that misleads people about injuries and they don't wear silver and black.

Win1ForMe
08-27-2004, 12:19 AM
There's only one team in this city that misleads people about injuries and they don't wear silver and black.I forgot, sorry.

7/20/04: Ozzie on Magglio - "I knew he was going to be sore today," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "I knew he would be stiff and we will take it day by day."

7/22/04: Herm Schneider on Magglio- "It's not real alarming to me right now. He still has full range of motion, but he's just got some discomfort. He's not carrying any fluid or anything."

7/23/04: The injury news on the South Side went from bad to worse Friday when right fielder Magglio Ordonez was placed on the 15-day disabled list with bone marrow edema in his left knee.

SoxxoS
08-27-2004, 12:28 AM
Call me :cleo, but this is what is going to happen.

Grilli is going to look solid...give up like 2 runs in 6 IP, and we will be wondering on WSI who is to blame as to why Grilli was never called up.

Frankfan4life
08-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Prediction for Grilli's outing tomorrow:

5.1IP 8H 4R 4ER 3BB 2K and a win. Hmm... I wonder why I'm seeing:
3.1IP, 7H, 6ER, 2BB, 3K, 2HR

Oh, that's what Stewart did. Nevermind. Those darn flashbacks.

mealfred13
08-27-2004, 05:22 AM
I forgot, sorry.

7/20/04: Ozzie on Magglio - "I knew he was going to be sore today," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "I knew he would be stiff and we will take it day by day."

7/22/04: Herm Schneider on Magglio- "It's not real alarming to me right now. He still has full range of motion, but he's just got some discomfort. He's not carrying any fluid or anything."

7/23/04:
And your point? After 3 days they found that the injury was worse than it is? It's not like they said nothing is wrong, kept him out of the lineup for 25 days and then said "oh, he's just working on building up his stamina for game time." They came right out and said what the problem was once they knew about it...sheesh.

gosox41
08-27-2004, 07:30 AM
Over how many games?

Bob

gosox41
08-27-2004, 07:31 AM

Stewart will be sent to the minors to make room for Grilli.

From the AP story:

Grilli is 9-9 with a 4.83 ERA at Charlotte.
With minor league numbers like that I can see why this team is on the verge of greatness.

Bob

samram
08-27-2004, 07:52 AM
With minor league numbers like that I can see why this team is on the verge of greatness.

BobCharlotte's a bandbox. In a normal stadium, I'm sure his ERA would be down around 4.65.

Jerko
08-27-2004, 07:59 AM
You can't be serious. That's not fair to Buerhle, Garcia and Contreras, who have done nothing wrong. They are paid to compete for 162 games. It's not fair to the position players, who would have no chance to win playing behind the likes of Diaz, Stewart, Grilli, Munoz, et al every day. That's not fair to the fans who pay major league prices and deserve to see major league pitchers. That's not fair to Major League Baseball itself. We may not be going to the playoffs, but we still have some teams in contention left on our schedule. The integrity of the game is more important than "evaluating pitchers for 2005."
Good points. Not that I care about any other team, but if the Sox start "tanking" games that other teams may need them (the Sox) to win, good luck in the future trying to look respectable in the baseball world. Also, like you said; I STILL have my season tickets and I'd like to see some front line players when I attend the games.

thepaulbowski
08-27-2004, 08:42 AM
:chickenlittle

My lord people. If one of the franchise pitchers has a little soreness/tightness do you think, being that the Sox are out of the race, they are not going be overly cautious. Get a clue.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2004, 10:54 AM
What wasn't commented on where these comments from Ozzie on the 5th starter disaster / Grilli. They were to Joe Cowley in the Daily Southtown:

"It's the same results for the No. 5 starters, you get six runs in the first inning and you still have to hope that they don't even come back. That's hard to watch. I know he tried his best, but when you get a guy six runs, you hope he can at least get the win."

Guillen needs Grilli to at least give him some peace of mind not that Guillen is expecting much. When asked what he was hoping for from Grilli tonight, Guillen didn't hold back on the sarcasm.

"Hopefully, he'll pitch two innings," he said.

LOL! Now that's funny!

Lip

Fungo
08-27-2004, 11:04 AM
What wasn't commented on where these comments from Ozzie on the 5th starter disaster / Grilli. They were to Joe Cowley in the Daily Southtown:

"It's the same results for the No. 5 starters, you get six runs in the first inning and you still have to hope that they don't even come back. That's hard to watch. I know he tried his best, but when you get a guy six runs, you hope he can at least get the win."

Guillen needs Grilli to at least give him some peace of mind not that Guillen is expecting much. When asked what he was hoping for from Grilli tonight, Guillen didn't hold back on the sarcasm.

"Hopefully, he'll pitch two innings," he said.

LOL! Now that's funny!

LipOzzie hasn't stuck up for his players all year so why start now? Nice vote of confidence. How many times does Jamie Burke need to get steam-rolled at home plate before the opponent gets one in the earhole?

Lip Man 1
08-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Fungo:

Why should Ozzie have to stick up for garbage? Does anybody really think stiffs like Munoz, Grilli, Rauch, Stewert even belong on a big league roster?

They wouldn't even be within a thousand miles of a good major league team.

Ozzie just won a World Championship. Looking at this crap is probably already starting to turn his hair gray.

Keep going Ozzie...call a spade a spade.

Lip

Fungo
08-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Lip~

Why even make a comment like that though? Let the kid come up and see what he can do, don't set him up for failure. Or is this Ozzie's reverse psychology and Grilli's gonna make him eat those words? Don't get me wrong, I like Ozzie, but he's got some growing pains to go through.

I wish Jason the best of luck tonight.

JasonC23
08-27-2004, 11:30 AM
What happened to Felix Diaz? Did the Sox just completely give up on him?

JB98
08-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Good points. Not that I care about any other team, but if the Sox start "tanking" games that other teams may need them (the Sox) to win, good luck in the future trying to look respectable in the baseball world. Also, like you said; I STILL have my season tickets and I'd like to see some front line players when I attend the games.
In addition, I don't see the point in looking at Diaz, Stewart, Grilli, Munoz, et al., in anticipation of 2005, because we are in serious trouble in we think any of these guys is capable of filling a role next season. It's pretty clear the Sox need to go outside the organization to shore up the pitching staff for next year.

Win1ForMe
08-27-2004, 01:41 PM
My lord people. If one of the franchise pitchers has a little soreness/tightness do you think, being that the Sox are out of the race, they are not going be overly cautious. Get a clue.He's had two suspect outings in a row where his stuff seemed less than stellar. That's what makes me think the "forearm strain" didn't just develop in the last few days and is more problematic than what they're letting on. Remember when last week the word was Garcia was suffering through a dead-arm period? Now it's a strained forearm. Who knows what they'll diagnose him with next week.

Nard
08-27-2004, 02:36 PM
He got the dead-arm because of the short rest, and it's now strained because the Junior Lizard left him in for 118 pitches, including one asinine throw in the 8th inning, all on short rest and with the dead-arm.

Two starts worth rest should do the trick just fine.

I swear to God it's like a tinfoil hat community around here some days.

Win1ForMe
08-27-2004, 02:48 PM
He got the dead-arm because of the short rest, and it's now strained because the Junior Lizard left him in for 118 pitches, including one asinine throw in the 8th inning, all on short rest and with the dead-arm.

Two starts worth rest should do the trick just fine.

I swear to God it's like a tinfoil hat community around here some days.
He never once pitched on short rest.

bluestar
08-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Apparently. In one of the recent pre-game interviews, Ozzie said he "had seen enough" of Diaz.

bluestar
08-27-2004, 02:56 PM
He never once pitched on short rest.
Very true. As a matter of fact, I thought one of the reasons they moved Garland and Buehrle back a day, besides the obvious fifth starter problem, was to keep Garcia on five-days' rest, because he said he didn't like pitching on six-days' rest.

Lem_Siddons
08-27-2004, 03:02 PM
During the early part if this century, sportswriters and knowledgable fans were talking about the great White Sox pitching prospects. Where did they go? The system hasn't developed a Sox starter of any success in a long time.

dickallen15
08-27-2004, 05:17 PM
:chickenlittle

My lord people. If one of the franchise pitchers has a little soreness/tightness do you think, being that the Sox are out of the race, they are not going be overly cautious. Get a clue.
They weren't very cautious his last start when he threw all those pitches. There obviously was something wrong with him. In between innings on his warm up, he would just lob the balls to home plate. I know no pitcher goes all out on a warm up, but he was throwing as if he were pitching to a 3 year old.

balke
08-27-2004, 05:31 PM
1-3 Record 9.00 Era 7G 5GS 11HR 27.IP 27ER 9BB 17SO Happened.

He's really having a tough time in the majors, but I don't think the organization should give up on him. He needs to gain some confidence in his pitches, maybe add some velocity. He looks good out there, he just gets lit up. Maybe next season.

NonetheLoaiza
08-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Why can't we just find one pitcher who will give us 6 IP and have an ERA under 6?

Lip Man 1
08-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Fungo:

As Ozzie himself has been quoted as saying this season, when you get to the big leagues you are expected to perform. No excuses.

Personally I think Ozzie is frustrated, angry and frankly embarassed at what he's seen from the minor league system.

Lip

Fungo
08-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Lip:

Frankly, I'm embarrassed by our farm system this year. I guess my point is that there is no need to embarrass the kid as I'm sure he's well aware of the fifth starter spot on the team. He himself has said good-bye and welcome back to the many that have traveled the shuttle from Charlotte to Chicago and back again. This "one and done" approach isn't exactly the greatest way to go about the problem either. Give a guy a chance without him feeling the pressure that if he doesn't succeed, he'll be shipped out right away. There is no denying the fifth starter spot problem, but I guarantee the White Sox are not the only team in the league with this problem. I have a feeling that after 3+ years now, the problem will be addressed in the offseason.

That aside, I think Grilli did a nice job tonight. It looked like he might get out of that 1st inning after getting himself into trouble and got the first 2 outs, but couldn't shut the door. I wouldn't mind him getting another shot.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2004, 09:34 PM
The Sox aren't the only team with this problem but they sure as hell are the worst one.

As far as this year I don't care if they pitch every kid from Podunk, Arkansas the rest of the way but as was asked earlier this year, when you are contending for a playoff spot, how many games are you willing to blow trying to see if any of the 'can't miss kids,' have the gonads for the game at this level. Remember you can't get a 'do over,' when you lose them.

Lip

Win1ForMe
08-30-2004, 05:59 PM

From the AP story:

"It's not a big deal," Guillen said. "We'll skip him for a start. I think that is all he will have to miss. We don't want to take a chance and make it worse." LMAO. The Sox never lie about anything.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2004, 06:32 PM
From the same AP story:

"I don't think it's serious because it's a muscle thing."

The White Sox are expected to decide this week whether to put Garcia on the disabled list."

If it's not serious why does the story say they are considering putting him on the DL?

Remember Maggs was 'day to day' with a strained muscle in the back of the knee and Manager Gandhi said that Cal Eldred would only miss a 'few' starts because of a strained forearm muscle.

LOL

Lip

Win1ForMe
08-30-2004, 07:20 PM
From the same AP story:

"I don't think it's serious because it's a muscle thing."

The White Sox are expected to decide this week whether to put Garcia on the disabled list."

If it's not serious why does the story say they are considering putting him on the DL?

Remember Maggs was 'day to day' with a strained muscle in the back of the knee and Manager Gandhi said that Cal Eldred would only miss a 'few' starts because of a strained forearm muscle.

LOL

Lip
Well, forearm injuries can take some time to heal. I remember Mark Mulder missed a month 2 years ago with the same condition. I'm not overly concerned about the injury, just frustrated at the way the team approaches the "medical updates" and continuously puts their foot in their mouth. Not knowing the severity of an injury is one thing, but not knowing and then blatantly lying by giving out an optimistic date for a player's return (the standard line "it's only a couple of days...") insults the intelligence of all Sox fans.

MisterB
08-31-2004, 12:22 AM
Not knowing the severity of an injury is one thing, but not knowing and then blatantly lying by giving out an optimistic date for a player's return (the standard line "it's only a couple of days...") insults the intelligence of all Sox fans.
Can you name a baseball team that doesn't do this? ("The injury seems minor, but he'll probably be out for the season...")