PDA

View Full Version : You think this franchise is going in the toilet....

Wanne
08-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Check out this direction....

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/0826drew-On.html

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/040826drew.html

At least they've tasted World Series success...although it ultimately cost Colangelo his job by giving out outragious contracts.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2004, 06:59 PM
It is my most fervent hope that I walk this planet long enough to see the day the Chicago White Sox are selling off everything after tasting World Series success. I would die happy... but I'm not getting my hopes up too much.
:angry:

For the record Jerry Colangelo is a south sider, a native of Chicago Heights. He would have been an ideal Sox owner and I would gladly trade Reinsdorf for Colangelo in the owner's seat.

Unbelievable... a team that didn't even exist until 1998 already has a world championship... and another that didn't exist until 1993 already has two world championships under two different owners, the first owner completely gutting the team before the second one led them back for another world championship.

And now others here expect me to apologize for blaming Jerry Reinsdorf for the 24 seasons worth of ineptitude dished up by his front office? Give me a freaking break...
:mad:

Brian26
08-26-2004, 07:30 PM
It is my most fervent hope that I walk this planet long enough to see the day the Chicago White Sox are selling off everything after tasting World Series success. I would die happy... but I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

For the record Jerry Colangelo is a south sider, a native of Chicago Heights. He would have been an ideal Sox owner and I would gladly trade Reinsdorf for Colangelo in the owner's seat.

Unbelievable... a team that didn't even exist until 1998 already has a world championship... and another that didn't exist until 1993 already has two world championships under two different owners, the first owner completely gutting the team before the second one led them back for another world championship.

And now others here expect me to apologize for blaming Jerry Reinsdorf for the 24 seasons worth of ineptitude dished up by his front office? Give me a freaking break...
Nobody's asking you to apologize PHG. It's a great discussion. I'd be in awe if the Sox could ever get to the World Series and actually win it. Hopefully that day happens before the scrubs do it.

I'm not sure I could take the heartache of seeing the franchise completely destroyed afterwards, much the way it has happened in Arizona and Florida. Let's not forget how much trouble the Marlins franchise was in before winning it all last year. They were one of the five or six teams being considered for contraction. I'm not sure...I just don't think I'd want to see the next 10 years mortgaged for one World Title. It's easy to say now, but having to deal with 10 years (just an arbitrary figure I'm coming up with) is a long time. Imagine having to deal with 1989 over and over again.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Brian says: "Imagine having to deal with 1989 over and over again."

I have....

1968, 69 and 70
1973, 74, 75, 76
1978, 79, 80
1986, 87, 88, 89
1997, 98, 99

You eventually get used to it by ignoring the team until they do something and hey you can always break out the video tapes from the 'championship season' to help pass the time.

I'd sell my soul (If I still had one!) to Mr. Applegate from Damn Yankees if that would turn the trick.

Lip

MarkEdward
08-27-2004, 02:39 AM
Losing Drew will be tough, but I think Arizona will be decent a few years down the road. Sure, they absolutely suck right now. Chad Tracy, Luis Terrero, Scott Hairston, Brandon Webb, and Brian Bruney are legitimate building blocks currently on the roster, and that's a decent start. IMO, Joe Garagiola Jr. has had some wonderful drafts. Guys like Jon Zeringue, Conor Jackson, Sergio Santos, Carlos Quentin, and Jamie D'Antona look like they'll be quality MLB players. Joe's failure has come during trades talks, where he seems to be horrid.

Overall, I think the D-Backs have a good future. Either way, if the Sox won the Series, and failure followed for the next several years, I think I'd take that deal.

Hangar18
08-27-2004, 11:18 AM

PHG, a couple of things. Can you imagine if the City called Reinsdorfs bluff,
and let them move? And the next expansion team was Chicago AL with
Jerry Colangelo, a Sox Fan, native chicagoan owning the team? I really
believe we wouldve had our World Series Championship, and a much better
stadium. We would not be subject to the current cubbie-camelot
we currently are seeing

SOXSINCE'70
08-27-2004, 12:03 PM

AMEN,PHG!!!!YOU'RE SINGIN' THE SAME SONG I AM!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Wanne
08-27-2004, 12:19 PM
IMO, Joe Garagiola Jr. has had some wonderful drafts. Guys like Jon Zeringue, Conor Jackson, Sergio Santos, Carlos Quentin, and Jamie D'Antona look like they'll be quality MLB players. Joe's failure has come during trades talks, where he seems to be horrid.

He has done some terrible trades...and he's gettin' RIPPED for the Sexson deal out here (which I disagree with). The DBacks would be a different team with a healthy Sexson and LGonzales. The Schilling trade was HORRIBLE!!! He gave up Brad Penny for Matt Mantei. But he also bit the big one a few years ago drafting Cory Meyers.

TDog
08-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Baseball is pretty close to dead in Arizona. It is ironic that winning the World Series contributed to its demise. It won't be like the Dodgers leaving town after winning their world championship, but the people of Maricopa County aren't going to support the team because they won it all a few years ago.

People around here can say they wouldn't care if the Sox tanked it for a decade in exchange for a World Series championship. They might even believe that. But if the Sox win the World Series, it won't impress Cubs fans, and if the Sox were dead afterward, Chicago would definitely not be a Sox city.

Lem_Siddons
08-29-2004, 04:22 PM
If we are going to play what-if, what-if the Sox did not make that terrible mistake of Sports Vision and totally losing a generation of fans? TV and some good marketing moved the bulk of the casual fan to the north side where they remain to this day.

Debartalo also wanted the team and if MLB had allowed the sale to go through Bill would have sold it to him. That also is a giant what-if.

batmanZoSo
08-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Baseball is pretty close to dead in Arizona. It is ironic that winning the World Series contributed to its demise. It won't be like the Dodgers leaving town after winning their world championship, but the people of Maricopa County aren't going to support the team because they won it all a few years ago.

People around here can say they wouldn't care if the Sox tanked it for a decade in exchange for a World Series championship. They might even believe that. But if the Sox win the World Series, it won't impress Cubs fans, and if the Sox were dead afterward, Chicago would definitely not be a Sox city.
Not ten years, just a few like the Indians and Marlins did and are doing. You go all out one year, maybe two as long as you get the title, then you trade off older guys that can get you great prospects and extra draft picks. Then you start with the few leftover young core stars and plug in your top prospects and let them develop. It's not depressing because they lose, it's fun to watch teams like the Indians and the 99 Sox play because you get to watch future superstars develop. By the third year you're probably close enough where a trade or two and a FA signing will make you a major contender again. It may cost you to go for your World Series but you make up for it with having less jaded, satisfied fans and the average attendance will still be higher in years after a world series is won despite the team being under .500. You also gain a ton of popularity and young prospect fans not only in the Chicago area but all over the country. Every time a team wins it all, thousands of new, and often lifelong fans of that team are born.

DumpJerry
08-30-2004, 02:56 PM
If we are going to play what-if, what-if the Sox did not make that terrible mistake of Sports Vision and totally losing a generation of fans? TV and some good marketing moved the bulk of the casual fan to the north side where they remain to this day.

Debartalo also wanted the team and if MLB had allowed the sale to go through Bill would have sold it to him. That also is a giant what-if.A "giant" what-if? No, my friend, that is a HUGE what-if, the size of all the mountains in the world.... Not only that, we would not ask "what-if?" We would only have to look at the San Fran 49ers. and say "that coulda, shoulda, woulda been us!"

JR, one of history's biggest disappointments. I'm sure his own family shuns him.....:angry:

Hangar18
09-03-2004, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=batmanZoSo].... By the third year you're probably close enough where a trade or two and a FA signing will make you a major contender again. QUOTE]

:reinsy "You had me at Free Agent Signing Batman ..........."

Iwritecode
09-03-2004, 01:37 PM
But if the Sox win the World Series, it won't impress Cubs fans

Maybe not but you could end every single "my team is better" arguement by asking them who won the WS last. Having the second-longest WS drought in MLB is not something to be proud of.

I'll be more than happy to give that distinction to the city of Boston...

FightingBillini
09-03-2004, 03:19 PM
PHG, a couple of things. Can you imagine if the City called Reinsdorfs bluff,
and let them move? And the next expansion team was Chicago AL with
Jerry Colangelo, a Sox Fan, native chicagoan owning the team? I really
believe we wouldve had our World Series Championship, and a much better
stadium. We would not be subject to the current cubbie-camelot
we currently are seeing
From what I've read, I doubt MLB would have given Chicago another franchise. When was the last time they expanded into a city that already had one team? The Mets? It seems like every owner hated Chicago American League baseball, and wouldnt care less if the AL's charter franchise was now called the Tampa Bay Water Sox or whatever the heck they would call them.

I would love to have Colangelo as an owner. He has won in every venture he did. He his a Chicagoan, and an Illini. I will take him over Mr. Miserly anyday.

flo-B-flo
09-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Unfortunately, we are stuck with Riensdork until they pry his cold dead fingers off of the franchise.:(: