PDA

View Full Version : Are We Rightfully The Most Outraged Fans in Baseball?

Baby Fisk
08-26-2004, 02:21 PM
Okay, 87 years since a WS is easy to point to and until that mark of futility is swept away, maybe this is an easy question to answer. I'm just wondering if some other fan bases deserve to be more outraged than us this year:

Baltimore = big signings, no results (again).
NY Mets = big signings, no results (again).
Philly = huge expectations gone bust.
Houston = huge expectations gone bust.
Milwaukee = "great young team" crashes to division cellar.
Pittsburgh = "great young team" crashes to 2nd last in division.
Montreal = "au revoir, nos Expos..."
San Fran = all this offensive and defensive weaponry, and they still can't get past the freakin Dodgers and Cubs?!
Chicago south side = There can be no greater outrage over the atrocities committed upon us!

Which fans should be most outraged with 2004?

Deadguy
08-26-2004, 02:25 PM
I'd say Houston is the biggest bust. They have 3 future HOFers in Bagwell, Biggio, and Clemens, signed Andy Pettite, and acquired Carlos Beltran.

With Clemens and Beltran likely gone after the season, and Bagwell's right shoulder continuing to deterioriate, they put it all on the line this season, and failed miserably, with little hope of getting better in the future.

I'd say we're in a much better position than them as far as the future goes, and we had lower expectations than them coming into the season, since we picked up virtual nobodies in Shingo, Politte, Jackson, and Uribe, while losing Colon.

I_Liked_Manuel
08-26-2004, 02:25 PM
honestly, we have absolutely nothing to be outraged about. had maggs and frank not missed significant time, we'd be running away with the division right now. disappointed is the word for it. basically it comes down to the fact that games aren't won on paper and its a long season. really, we've got nothing to be pissed about.

PatK
08-26-2004, 02:57 PM
I'm outraged, if only because a certain team on the North Side with only 8 winning seasons in my lifetime is on the verge of making the playoffs for the second straight year after years of sucking.

kittle42
08-26-2004, 03:02 PM
honestly, we have absolutely nothing to be outraged about. had maggs and frank not missed significant time, we'd be running away with the division right now. disappointed is the word for it. basically it comes down to the fact that games aren't won on paper and its a long season. really, we've got nothing to be pissed about.Blah. No guarantees this team would be in first with Thomas and Ordonez. They screwed up last year, too.

Paulwny
08-26-2004, 03:07 PM
We play in the worst div in mlb and may end up 4th, that's an abomination.

Hangar18
08-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Having the 2nd best record in the 1990's ..... and NO WS to show for it.
By comparison.... atlanta was 1st, and had numerous WS appearances
We have Every Right to be pissed

Tekijawa
08-26-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm Happy... Now people will quit coming to my park and making me wait in line for Nachos! I Long for the days of 8,000 fans, a sunny row to myself and the exact same baseball team that would be out on the field if 48,000 a game showed up. It's a matter of perspective people, I expected very little from this team this year, got pretty excited there for awhile, and now they are living up to my expectations... But I was really upset bak in early July when I had to wait in lines to go to the bathroom and there were 20 people in front of me in the Nacho line...

HebrewHammer
08-26-2004, 03:53 PM
If I were a Phillies fan I think I'd be more upset. This current team had zero expectations and did make it fun for half the season, the Phillies have just been a dissapointment since they left spring training.

I still think with Frank and Maggs we win the division, but we'll never know. It's also not the just fact that this team took a dive, it's the way they took a dive. I've never seen a team that goes out of it's way to crush my soul than this team does.

I also don't have a whole lot of optimism for next year. Especially with our "kids" being Ross Gload and Joe Borchard.:angry:

batmanZoSo
08-26-2004, 03:56 PM
I'd say Houston is the biggest bust. They have 3 future HOFers in Bagwell, Biggio, and Clemens, signed Andy Pettite, and acquired Carlos Beltran.

With Clemens and Beltran likely gone after the season, and Bagwell's right shoulder continuing to deterioriate, they put it all on the line this season, and failed miserably, with little hope of getting better in the future.

I'd say we're in a much better position than them as far as the future goes, and we had lower expectations than them coming into the season, since we picked up virtual nobodies in Shingo, Politte, Jackson, and Uribe, while losing Colon.
That might be 5 hall of famers on the Astros and no playoffs. That's one of the biggest busts of my lifetime.

KingXerxes
08-26-2004, 05:11 PM
Houston has been around for over forty years and has won a sum total of nothing. Their fans get my vote.

Deadguy
08-26-2004, 05:35 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PHA/1928.shtml

The Philadelphia Athletics had 7 HOFers, and didn't with the pennant in 1928. That must have been pretty disappointing.

Although Ty Cobb, Eddie Collins, and Tris Speaker were all over 40, and Jimmie Foxx was just 20. Must have been assembled in the same way the Lakers were last year.

balke
08-26-2004, 05:48 PM
Okay, 87 years since a WS is easy to point to and until that mark of futility is swept away, maybe this is an easy question to answer. I'm just wondering if some other fan bases deserve to be more outraged than us this year:

Baltimore = big signings, no results (again).
NY Mets = big signings, no results (again).
Philly = huge expectations gone bust.
Houston = huge expectations gone bust.
Milwaukee = "great young team" crashes to division cellar.
Pittsburgh = "great young team" crashes to 2nd last in division.
Montreal = "au revoir, nos Expos..."
San Fran = all this offensive and defensive weaponry, and they still can't get past the freakin Dodgers and Cubs?!
Chicago south side = There can be no greater outrage over the atrocities committed upon us!

Which fans should be most outraged with 2004?
If either Boston or anaheim doesn't make it, I'd probably pick them as biggest busts. And KC... wow does it have to suck being a KC fan. We got kicked pretty hard in the stomach this season, but we paid less to stay out of the playoffs then a bunch of teams. And we've set ourself up Okay for next season.

I think Pitt and Milwaukee are decent enough stories. They hung with the rest of the central through the majority of the season at least. I was hoping they'd be more competitive down the stretch though, milwaukee's lost 8 straight... we feel ya brews!

hold2dibber
08-26-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm Happy... Now people will quit coming to my park and making me wait in line for Nachos! I Long for the days of 8,000 fans, a sunny row to myself and the exact same baseball team that would be out on the field if 48,000 a game showed up. It's a matter of perspective people, I expected very little from this team this year, got pretty excited there for awhile, and now they are living up to my expectations... But I was really upset bak in early July when I had to wait in lines to go to the bathroom and there were 20 people in front of me in the Nacho line...
So you'd rather have them play crappy so you don't have to wait in line for nachos than play well and be inconvenienced? :kukoo:

skobabe8
08-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Houston has been around for over forty years and has won a sum total of nothing. Their fans get my vote.
Houston gets my vote....for THIS year. Overall, for the history of the franchise, its US. No comparison. 87 years without a World Championship is disgusting. Sure, the Cubs have gone 96, but they don't deserve one because they've 1.) embraced losing, and 2.) blamed losing on fictional curses, instead of admitting the fact that they simply weren't the better team.

ma-gaga
08-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Which fans should be most outraged with 2004?In reverse order:

9 . San Fran - They could still make the playoffs.
8. Milwaukee - No expectations, trying to develop talent.
7. Pittsburgh - No expectations, trying to dump salary.
6. NY Mets - The Mets fans are always in denial. But the most outrageous thing is that they traded away their best pitching prospect for Victor Zambrano?!?
5. Baltimore - Owner is an greedy f'n idiot. I don't know if the fans were really outraged. They have the Yankees in their division to temper any playoff thoughts.
4. Chicago south side - Not a bad choice, buy an $50MM payroll only buys so much, including no depth. In a historical perspective, this team wins hands down, and that increases the 2004 frustration level, but I don't think that this team's outrage outdoes the following teams.
3. Philly - Started off so well, fell apart. They never really had a solid pitching staff or basis for contention.
2. Houston - Not quite an "epic" collapse, but close. They are an OLD team, it was a matter of time before they fell apart. I'm a little shocked, but not really. They were really riding on the coattails of that offensive machine, and they fell apart.

but my number one "screwed over fan base" isn't even close:

1. Montreal - Baseball has screwed these fans 5 times over. It makes me upset just thinking about what crap Bud and Loria have done to this team, and then blamed someone else. There were some significant hardships that couldn't be helped like the depreciation of the canadian dollar, but the lack of a local television/radio contract, the fact that they play 20 "home games" in Puerto Freaking Rico?!?, the fact that they are owned by their competetors, the fact that they won't bring up September call-ups because MLB won't pay their salaries, is a travesty, is a sham, and is a mockery of all that is good in baseball.

It's not even close.

gah! I need a beer. :gulp:

nitetrain8601
08-26-2004, 09:32 PM
In reverse order:

6. NY Mets - The Mets fans are always in denial. But the most outrageous thing is that they traded away their best pitching prospect for Victor Zambrano?!?
5. Baltimore - Owner is an greedy f'n idiot. I don't know if the fans were really outraged. They have the Yankees in their division to temper any playoff thoughts.
4. Chicago south side - Not a bad choice, buy an $50MM payroll only buys so much, including no depth. In a historical perspective, this team wins hands down, and that increases the 2004 frustration level, but I don't think that this team's outrage outdoes the following teams.
3. Philly - Started off so well, fell apart. They never really had a solid pitching staff or basis for contention.
2. Houston - Not quite an "epic" collapse, but close. They are an OLD team, it was a matter of time before they fell apart. I'm a little shocked, but not really. They were really riding on the coattails of that offensive machine, and they fell apart.

1. Montreal - Baseball has screwed these fans 5 times over. It makes me upset just thinking about what crap Bud and Loria have done to this team, and then blamed someone else. There were some significant hardships that couldn't be helped like the depreciation of the canadian dollar, but the lack of a local television/radio contract, the fact that they play 20 "home games" in Puerto Freaking Rico?!?, the fact that they are owned by their competetors, the fact that they won't bring up September call-ups because MLB won't pay their salaries, is a travesty, is a sham, and is a mockery of all that is good in baseball.

It's not even close.

a travashamockery?

Etownsox13
08-26-2004, 10:58 PM
In reverse order:

It's not even close.

Yeah, all 10 of the Expos fans are really upset

Aidan
08-27-2004, 12:10 AM
Yeah, all 10 of the Expos fans are really upsetYep, Canadians like Hockey, ay hoser?

TornLabrum
08-27-2004, 01:51 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PHA/1928.shtml

The Philadelphia Athletics had 7 HOFers, and didn't with the pennant in 1928. That must have been pretty disappointing.

Although Ty Cobb, Eddie Collins, and Tris Speaker were all over 40, and Jimmie Foxx was just 20. Must have been assembled in the same way the Lakers were last year.
I think the three consecutive pennants they won in 1929-31 might have helped assuage their fan base.

thepaulbowski
08-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Houston fans have to be beside themselves over this season. They acquire Clemens & Pettite before the season. Trade their top prospect for Beltran and will have nothing to show for it and two big holes to fill next year.

E Coast Sox Fan
08-27-2004, 03:26 PM
Houston may have more of a case this year, but I'd say it's a toss up. KW went out and tried to improve this club when the chips were down. Unfortunately, the club didn't respond. Outrage :angry: is hard to judge, but I'm starting to believe that we're the most cursed club :whiner: ...as the author of this article hints at in the Illinois State University student newspaper

http://www.dailyvidette.com/news/706052.html?mkey=72812