PDA

View Full Version : More falling concrete

SomebodyToldMe
08-26-2004, 12:30 PM
Well well well...ANOTHER piece of concrete fell.

http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story/sports/z1/08-26-04_z1_spor_01.html

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Well well well...ANOTHER piece of concrete fell.

http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story/sports/z1/08-26-04_z1_spor_01.html
LMAO! My God, they're having heart attacks right now inside Cubune Tower. Their worst nightmare has come true!

:bandance:

:lynch&mcfail
"We have reason to believe Mr. Lobodzinski is a Sox fan and might also be the culprit behind the dead ivy caper from last summer. Our investigation is continuing!"

Jerko
08-26-2004, 12:47 PM
That damn city inspection!

SomebodyToldMe
08-26-2004, 12:57 PM
The fact that they wanted the concrete was classic.

"Concrete? There never was concrete. It was a weather balloon."

CWWTWS1
08-26-2004, 12:59 PM

"Are the Twins hiring"?

HebrewHammer
08-26-2004, 01:12 PM
"It's all just part of a free give away, like bobblehead day, eh? I heard there was a murder near U.S. Cellular, that neighborhood just isn't safe, um, we took down the "windscreens"? Is this thing on?"

Lip Man 1
08-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Jimmy Greenfield of the Tribune has just told me this:

Cubs just put out a statement that the police and city investigated and didn't find the claim credible. We'll see.

Lip

Tekijawa
08-26-2004, 01:24 PM
This has to be a joke right?

The guy wanted to keep the chunk safe so he put it at home in a Mc Donalds cup?

Then what was that about 21% of his heart working? this has Onion article written all over it!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2004, 01:29 PM
LMAO! The Cubune is scrambling to get ahead of the story this time!

Fan reports falling concrete at Wrigley (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-040826cubsstatement,1,7626670.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Below is a statement issued by the Chicago Cubs organization.

A fan attending Wednesday's game reported to the Chicago Cubs that he had evidence of falling concrete at Wrigley Field. The Chicago Police Department was notified and the individual was interviewed. The Chicago Cubs also notified the City's Building Commissioner Stan Kaderbek of the incident...

Do you think the Sun-Times has a font size large enough for tomorrow's front page headline?

Oh, this is beautiful...

:gulp:

PatK
08-26-2004, 03:00 PM
I'm ROFLMAO at this.

And the reports are saying it's not "credible".

Weren't they allegedly not credible two months ago?

Grobber33
08-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Here is what the Cubs released to the media here at Wrigley. Could be a hoax???

STATEMENT FROM THE CHICAGO CUBS
THURSDAY, AUGUST 26, 2004

A fan attending Wednesday's game reported to the Chicago Cubs that he
had
evidence of falling concrete at Wrigley Field. The Chicago Police
Department
was notified and the individual was interviewed. The Chicago Cubs also
notified the City's Building Commissioner Stan Kaderbek of the
incident.
Based on the Chicago Police Department's investigation and the
information
we have to date, we agree with the City's assessment there is
insufficient
evidence at this time to believe this is an incident of falling
concrete at
Wrigley Field.

MRKARNO
08-26-2004, 03:49 PM

Or it could be spin control and another one in the sequence of lies, coverups and otherwise shady things that the Tribune Co. has done recently to cause as much financial success and popularity for their team.

balke
08-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Check that concrete for CORK!!!

bada-bing? :gulp:

bigfoot
08-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Or it could be spin control and another one in the sequence of lies, coverups and otherwise shady things that the Tribune Co. has done recently to cause as much financial success and popularity for their team.
Do you mean that the attendance figures could be as accurate as the circulation numbers?

bc2k
08-26-2004, 08:15 PM

STATEMENT FROM THE CHICAGO CUBS
THURSDAY, AUGUST 26, 2004

A fan attending Wednesday's game reported to the Chicago Cubs that he
had
evidence of falling concrete at Wrigley Field. The Chicago Police
Department
was notified and the individual was interviewed. The Chicago Cubs also
notified the City's Building Commissioner Stan Kaderbek of the
incident.
Based on the Chicago Police Department's investigation and the
information
we have to date, we agree with the City's assessment there is
insufficient
evidence at this time to believe this is an incident of falling
concrete at
Wrigley Field.

I think because of the regularity of the falling concrete at Wrigley, the multiple inspections of the structure's stability, and the fact that the team has installed NETS FOR THE PURPOSE OF CATCHING FUTURE FALLING CONCRETE, the fan in attendance should be give every benefit of the doubt that he is telling the truth.

McPhail is a hell of a spin-control guy, or liar, but each time he is forced to say Wrigley Field is structually stable, his credibility falls faster than 90-year-old cement!

Erik The Red
08-26-2004, 08:23 PM
On a side not, I heard Silvy and Carmen today talking about how people are throwing trash into the netting.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2004, 08:35 PM
On a side not, I heard Silvy and Carmen today talking about how people are throwing trash into the netting.That's not trash. That's whatever used to keep row 5 of section 246 of the upper deck suspended 40 feet above row 34 of section 131 of the mezzanine level. But no worries... I'm sure it was only ORNAMENTAL concrete, nothing structural to worry about.

"It's a good thing we saved all that netting we used to block the rooftop views a couple years ago. I knew that stuff would come in handy! Lynch here wanted to grind it up and mix it into all the Wrigley weiners... shows what he knows."

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-26-2004, 08:47 PM
Check that concrete for CORK!!!

bada-bing? :gulp:

ZING!

This whole concrete thing is just awsome. just plain awsome. :cool:

flo-B-flo
08-26-2004, 09:29 PM
The place is over 90 years old. Did they think it would never blow chunks?

cubhater
08-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Jimmy Greenfield of the Tribune has just told me this:

Cubs just put out a statement that the police and city investigated and didn't find the claim credible. We'll see.

Lip

That's what I just heard on the WGN news minutes ago.

woodenleg
08-26-2004, 09:42 PM
That dude is from Crown Point. He is a Sox fan, just like the one who mutilated the ivy!

cubhater
08-26-2004, 09:43 PM
On a side not, I heard Silvy and Carmen today talking about how people are throwing trash into the netting.
Better than throwing it on the field!:D:

SomebodyToldMe
08-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Better than throwing it on the field!:D:
There's already pieces of trash on the field.

9 actually in the top halves of innings.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2004, 09:49 PM
WGN-TV just aired a taped interview with Lobodzinski. That chunk of concrete was the size of his fist and yes, he has it inside a McDonald's cup. Too funny.

They quoted the Flubbies' statement denying it fell from the upper deck, however the WGN reporter notes the only reason the police haven't made more of this is because they couldn't sample the material. Lobodzinski claims security was poking their finger at him and treating him in an accusatory manner, so he wouldn't turn it over. They also noted Lobodzinski claims the chunk fell next to him as he walked on a walkway -- a location where there is no netting!

God, I can't wait for tomorrow's newspapers. This is going to be a classic!

"That does it! Call those imbeciles up on W. Bradley Place! They can forget about their VIP passes for this year's fan appreciation day!"

cubhater
08-26-2004, 10:01 PM
WGN-TV just aired a taped interview with Lobodzinski. That chunk of concrete was the size of his fist and yes, he has it inside a McDonald's cup. Too funny.

They quoted the Flubbies' statement denying it fell from the upper deck, however the WGN reporter notes the only reason the police haven't made more of this is because they couldn't sample the material. Lobodzinski claims security was poking their finger at him and treating him in an accusatory manner, so he wouldn't turn it over. They also noted Lobodzinski claims the chunk fell next to him as he walked on a walkway -- a location where there is no netting!

God, I can't wait for tomorrow's newspapers. This is going to be a classic!

"That does it! Call those imbeciles up on W. Bradley Place! They can forget about their VIP passes for this year's fan appreciation day!"
Lawsuit! Lawsuit! Maybe he can settle out of court, get ownership of the Cubs, and move them to Crown Point!:supernana:

Lip Man 1
08-26-2004, 10:06 PM
I just saw that...perhaps the reason he isn't turning it over is because he fears he won't get back the same chunk of concrete if you know what I mean, after it has been 'analyzed.'

If I were him I'd break off a piece to give to them and hang on to the rest for a potential lawsuit.

He doesn't strike me as a goofball although today you never know.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2004, 10:09 PM
Lawsuit! Lawsuit! Maybe he can settle out of court, get ownership of the Cubs, and move them to Crown Point!The Cubune is damn lucky. The breaking news about the William Kennedy Smith rape accusation is going to push this off the front page tomorrow morning. Otherwise this becomes the lead story for the Sun-Times while the Cubune editors go searching for more file pictures of giant snails for their Metro section.
:cool:

:giantsnail

"Can we get William Kennedy Smith for the seventh inning stretch? Are you sure? For tomorrow? Do it man! Do it!"

Jerry_Manuel
08-26-2004, 10:28 PM
The Cubune is damn lucky. The breaking news about the William Kennedy Smith rape accusation is going to push this off the front page tomorrow morning. Otherwise this becomes the lead story for the Sun-Times while the Cubune editors go searching for more file pictures of giant snails for their Metro section.

:giantsnail

"Can we get William Kennedy Smith for the seventh inning stretch? Are you sure? For tomorrow? Do it man! Do it!"
The Trib gets delivered to my house on Fridays', I'll open to page 8 of the Metro section and read the 2 lines on it..

Frankfan4life
08-27-2004, 12:54 AM
I just saw that...perhaps the reason he isn't turning it over is because he fears he won't get back the same chunk of concrete if you know what I mean, after it has been 'analyzed.'

If I were him I'd break off a piece to give to them and hang on to the rest for a potential lawsuit.

He doesn't strike me as a goofball although today you never know.I saw the guy being interviewed too. I agree he didn't appear to be a wacko. He had a piece of concrete alright, but he could have gotten it from the Dan Ryan overpass.

Anyway, this situation is a hoot and I'm digging it.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Isn't everyone missing the obvious? (NO not Ron Obvious of Monty Python fame!)

If the chuck came from the walkway shouldn't there be a hole in the 'ceiling'? Or a gap of some kind?

Take the piece place it up in the area where the guy said it fell from and see if it fits or comes close to fitting since some material might have crumbled off.

Unless the walkway has numerous holes and cracks I'd think that would tell the story one way or another.

Lip

bigfoot
08-27-2004, 11:36 PM

If the chuck came from the walkway shouldn't there be a hole in the 'ceiling'? Or a gap of some kind?

Take the piece place it up in the area where the guy said it fell from and see if it fits or comes close to fitting since some material might have crumbled off.

Unless the walkway has numerous holes and cracks I'd think that would tell the story one way or another.

Lip
But should we leave this to the same people who, couldn't find even ONE more corked bat among the hundreds in Scammin' Sammy's bat collection?; who had Prior as day-to-day for 3 months?; who found a sensative Sammy batting 4th, forever? who 'forgot' to get building permits?; who 'forgot' that the intersection of Clark and Addison is in 'Wrigleyville', except when there's a murder?...That there are WMD in Ir....oops, sorry.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2004, 07:55 AM

Lip
You're joking right? There are more cracks and crevices in that dump than anyone could ever possibly catalogued. Where do you think the urine smell comes from?

"Our engineering report confirms that all the cracks and crevices are purely ORNAMENTAL in nature, nothing structural to worry about. Today's game will start at 3:05 as soon as I can sew together another net from my sweater vests for this newest drop zone."