PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Sox Stats for Uncle Jerry to consider

Hangar18
08-26-2004, 10:48 AM
NOt that Uncle Jerry does the Right Thing, or the Smart Thing, or even the Obvious Thing, but the one player most responsible for the SOX WINNING .....
that is at least this season, they had a .600 winning pctg, was none other than clubhouse cancer and Payroll Weight MAGGLIO ORDONEZ.

And they want to get "rid" of him ...........hahhahaha. No wonder we havnt been to the world series since 1959.

Another stat to think of. Ive been harping on Mike "give up one more" Jackson
for eons. How Many Games have we Lost, because the dynamic duo of Jackson/Politte came in and gave up a couple more runs.....ONLY TO SEE US ALMOST COME BACK? last nite was another example of that. Sure, look at all the MONEY WE SAVED ....... but heres something to make SOX FANS SICK TODAY ......... Guess who leads the League in HOLDS? the important bullpen stat where the BP HOLDS the lead for the team? Ready everyone ........

TOM "FLASH" GORDON with 30. How many games would the SOX have WON had he held those for us? at LEAST WERE SAVING SOME MONEY!!!

Rocky Soprano
08-26-2004, 10:52 AM
AMEN!

I hate Action Jackson. Why he is still on this team just amazes me. I cant wait to ask Kenny Williams why they kept that bum on the team. Hell if they want to save even more money, I will pitch for the team for free. I cant be anyworse than our #5 Starter or Action Jackson.

Baby Fisk
08-26-2004, 10:54 AM
AMEN!

I hate Action Jackson. Why he is still on this team just amazes me. I cant wait to ask Kenny Williams why they kept that bum on the team. Hell if they want to save even more money, I will pitch for the team for free. I cant be anyworse than our #5 Starter or Action Jackson.Remember that letter to fans that Kenny sent out around mid-season? He said something like "Mike Jackson will get some big outs for us down the stretch." STILL WAITING! :angry:

kittle42
08-26-2004, 11:01 AM
they had a .600 winning pctg, was none other than clubhouse cancer and Payroll Weight MAGGLIO ORDONEZ.

And they want to get "rid" of him ...........hahhahaha. No wonder we havnt been to the world series since 1959.
Unless he's willing to take a semi-significant salary cut, he can go. We don;t need to be risking "precious" JR dollars on a player with a serious degenerative bone marrow condition. I really wanted to keep him, but come on - if the Sox commit significant payroll to Ordonez and he goes down, you *know* JR will not replace him.

By the way, in my opinion, as is Hangar's, it is JR's fault primarily EVERY year the Sox lose.

MRKARNO
08-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Hanger, you can flail all you want but here's some things to consider:

The only reason Tom Gordon has all of those holds is because the Yankees are able to score enough runs to put them in situations where they have that many leads and inevitably, you'll have some close leads if you're winning that many games. Gordon has been good this year, but if we were to get him again it probably would have meant spending 5 mil in arbitration. We simply did not have 5 mil to offer to Gordon, especially considering the fact that we wanted to sign Marte to a long term deal (which we did).

Magglio Ordonez in all likelihood serious knee issue. There is no way in hell any responsible team would offer him a long term contract at this point until they can see what he has to offer again. I don't think Magglio at any point was worth what he was asking for either. I believe that the maximum paycut a player can get is 20% if he stays with the same team and that would amount to 11,200,000, which is far too much to pay him at this point

PaulDrake
08-26-2004, 11:24 AM
NOt that Uncle Jerry does the Right Thing, or the Smart Thing, or even the Obvious Thing, but the one player most responsible for the SOX WINNING .....
that is at least this season, they had a .600 winning pctg, was none other than clubhouse cancer and Payroll Weight MAGGLIO ORDONEZ.

Another stat to think of. Ive been harping on Mike "give up one more" Jackson
for eons. How Many Games have we Lost, because the dynamic duo of Jackson/Politte came in and gave up a couple more runs.....ONLY TO SEE US ALMOST COME BACK? last nite was another example of that. Sure, look at all the MONEY WE SAVED ....... but heres something to make SOX FANS SICK TODAY ......... Guess who leads the League in HOLDS? the important bullpen stat where the BP HOLDS the lead for the team? Ready everyone ........

TOM "FLASH" GORDON with 30. How many games would the SOX have WON had he held those for us? at LEAST WERE SAVING SOME MONEY!!! I agree with you on Gordon. Not having him has really hurt us this year. Was he that expensive? Penny wise pound foolish Sox again.

Sell Jerry Sell!
08-26-2004, 11:38 AM
If I recall correctly, didn't we offer Flash 2 years at $7M but he turned it down because he wanted to close and then he accepted the Yanks offer of 2 at 7.5?

FightingBillini
08-26-2004, 12:21 PM
There is no way in hell any responsible team would offer him a long term contract at this point until they can see what he has to offer again.
Then its settled, he is going to the Mets.

For the people who miss flash... why? Maybe I was watching a different team last year, but I dont remember him being particularly good. He converted 12 of 17 saves. That is pretty bad. His era was decent, but this year he has been out of his mind. This is a different Flash than the one who played for us.

Hangar18
08-26-2004, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=FightingBillini]Then its settled, he is going to the Mets.
QUOTE]

hehhheh. They do overpay for AL players dont they? heh heh

voodoochile
08-26-2004, 12:35 PM

For the people who miss flash... why? Maybe I was watching a different team last year, but I dont remember him being particularly good. He converted 12 of 17 saves. That is pretty bad. His era was decent, but this year he has been out of his mind. This is a different Flash than the one who played for us.
IIRC, most of those blown saves were early in the season before he got comfortable and before he became the closer. More like blown holds, IMO.

Once he got settled as the closer, he was lights out for the rest of the season.

Iwritecode
08-26-2004, 12:51 PM
The only reason Tom Gordon has all of those holds is because the Yankees are able to score enough runs to put them in situations where they have that many leads and inevitably, you'll have some close leads if you're winning that many games. Gordon has been good this year, but if we were to get him again it probably would have meant spending 5 mil in arbitration. We simply did not have 5 mil to offer to Gordon, especially considering the fact that we wanted to sign Marte to a long term deal (which we did).

The fact remains that Gordon has been pitching with out giving up leads or letting the other team extend their lead. Something MJ seem incapable of doing this year.

If he meant an extra 5 wins or so, he would have been worth every penny they gave him...

Hangar18
08-26-2004, 01:13 PM
The fact remains that Gordon has been pitching with out giving up leads or letting the other team extend their lead. Something MJ seem incapable of doing this year.

If he meant an extra 5 wins or so, he would have been worth every penny they gave him...

Something tells me that if a Magic Genie were to appear at JR's Country Club,
and, for just $2 Million Bucks, would change the Standings so the SOX would be TIED for 1st, instead of 9 or 10 games out, Jerry would still say No Way,
how about $100,000 now, and defer the other 1.9 million or so ........

Kogs35
08-26-2004, 01:39 PM

hes not going to the mets hes going to the giants. barry needs protection.