PDA

View Full Version : Henderson-Hall of fame


Paulwny
10-04-2001, 07:11 AM
Although I've never liked Rickey Henderson, I believe his numbers put him in the Hall, any comments.

GASHWOUND
10-04-2001, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Although I've never liked Rickey Henderson, I believe his numbers put him in the Hall, any comments.

DUH! Ofcourse he's going to the HOF. I don't know why they just waive the waiting period and just induct him right after the season. He's the greatest lead off hitter ever. He's a couple hits away from 3000, all-time leader in stolenbases, walks, 1 run away from all-time leader in runs. There should be NO QUESTION if he deseves to go t the HOF. His attitude doesn't mean squat. His #'s are incredible. So of course he deserves to go in. Right away.

FarWestChicago
10-04-2001, 01:17 PM
He's a lock, no questions asked.

oldcomiskey
10-04-2001, 05:34 PM
First ballot if ever there was one

PaleHoseGeorge
10-04-2001, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
First ballot if ever there was one

He ought to be a unanimous pick. It will be interesting to see how many of these cry baby sportswriters hold a grudge and withhold their vote.

Daver
10-04-2001, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


He ought to be a unanimous pick. It will be interesting to see how many of these cry baby sportswriters hold a grudge and withhold their vote.

I would't vote for him.The guy is a complete jag-off.I think character should be a part of being in the HOF.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by daver


I would't vote for him.The guy is a complete jag-off.I think character should be a part of being in the HOF. then a whole lot of hof'er should not be there esp ty cobb........

Daver
10-04-2001, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
then a whole lot of hof'er should not be there esp ty cobb........

Exactly right LDF.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by daver


Exactly right LDF. then by what definition should we judge the player, by their performance on the field or their personality off field? If the latter then by who standard should we used and who is to make that judgement?


Are we the people so above the pettiness of what other may perceived as being wrong?

Daver
10-04-2001, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
then by what definition should we judge the player, by their performance on the field or their personality off field? If the latter then by who standard should we used and who is to make that judgement?


Are we the people so above the pettiness of what other may perceived as being wrong?

Make me the sole judge of it,I will consult with my advisors and deem Yea or Nay.

Works for me.

Jerry_Manuel
10-04-2001, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by daver
I will consult with my advisors and deem Yea or Nay.


And who may I ask are these advisors?

Daver
10-04-2001, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


And who may I ask are these advisors?

Chopper,Champ,Wildchild,and Voodoochile are all locks,the rest I will have to consider.
Why are you campaigning for a slot?

Jerry_Manuel
10-04-2001, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by daver
Chopper,Champ,Wildchild,and Voodoochile are all locks,the rest I will have to consider.
Why are you campaigning for a slot?

I assume that VC is your dog and not WSI poster VC. No I was just wondering, I was thinking something along the lines of the hunting gods were your advisors.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


I assume that VC is your dog and not WSI poster VC. No I was just wondering, I was thinking something along the lines of the hunting gods were your advisors. personally i thought it was going to be smith and weston.

Daver
10-04-2001, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


I assume that VC is your dog and not WSI poster VC. No I was just wondering, I was thinking something along the lines of the hunting gods were your advisors.

They would be called upon only in extreme need.
The Fishing Gods would share equal status.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by daver


They would be called upon only in extreme need.
The Fishing Gods would share equal status. LMAO

Daver
10-04-2001, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
personally i thought it was going to be smith and weston.

I prefer the law team of Browning and Glock LDF.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by daver


I prefer the law team of Browning and Glock LDF. LMAO :))

idseer
10-04-2001, 10:58 PM
the man HAS to be in the hof!

that being said, i can't stand him either. since he first picked up 2nd base, held it over his head, and claimed his superiority over lou brock.
it also bother me he gets the runs scored record. he shouldn't be playing at all. i HATE it that so many guys stick around ONLY to top someone elses record. they have the advantage of knowing what it is. had cobb known this was how it would be done he'd have played a couple extra years himself!

Spiff
10-04-2001, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
personally i thought it was going to be smith and weston.

Isn't it Smith & Wesson? I think they have a big factory around here.

doublem23
10-04-2001, 11:13 PM
Henderson is in no questions asked. Right now, the only active player that's a better HOF lock than him may be Barry Bonds. And, although, I do understand were daver is coming from, it is, after all the BASEBALL Hall of Fame. Enterance should be based purely on on-feild performance... thus Shoeless Joe Jackson & Pete Rose should be allowed in.

If you wanna start a Nice Guy Hall of Fame, go right ahead. :)

Tragg
10-04-2001, 11:14 PM
If the overrated Kirby Puckett can get in on the first ballot; if robin yount, never a great player, can get in, henderson should be placed in by acclimation.

RichieRichAllen
10-05-2001, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by daver


I would't vote for him.The guy is a complete jag-off.I think character should be a part of being in the HOF.

I get the feeling a lot of Rickey's attitude comes from the fact that he wasn't/still isn't the brightest kid on the block. Look at some of the stuff that's come out of his mouth over the years. You'd wince, shake your head, but many of us would also say "That's Rickey" (which was code for....."Boy, that guy is dumb, how does he get away with it?") You'd almost have to half-smile, because it was pretty much common knowledge.

The reason he got away with it were the numbers he produced. And, despite the attitude, he's also played a big role on some of the winning teams he's played on throughout his career.

No way Rickey's not a hall of famer. *Half-smile*

LongDistanceFan
10-05-2001, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00


Isn't it Smith & Wesson? I think they have a big factory around here. big deal............. so you got me....... ok

LongDistanceFan
10-05-2001, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Henderson is in no questions asked. Right now, the only active player that's a better HOF lock than him may be Barry Bonds. And, although, I do understand were daver is coming from, it is, after all the BASEBALL Hall of Fame. Enterance should be based purely on on-feild performance... thus Shoeless Joe Jackson & Pete Rose should be allowed in.

i agree, its the on-the-field performance that gets the players in, however when that on-the-field activities coincided with gambling and the fixing of games, that is where or why they are banned.

Spiff
10-05-2001, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
big deal............. so you got me....... ok


No it's not a big deal. I just wasn't sure.......ok

voodoochile
10-05-2001, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i agree, its the on-the-field performance that gets the players in, however when that on-the-field activities coincided with gambling and the fixing of games, that is where or why they are banned.

Hence, the character issue directly coincided with their baseball career. Keep the cheaters out. they should dump Gaylord Perry while they are at it. Sorry, the integrity of the game MUST come first. Indidividual off field problems that in no way affect the outcome of any game should be ignored.

LongDistanceFan
10-05-2001, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile


Hence, the character issue directly coincided with their baseball career. Keep the cheaters out. they should dump Gaylord Perry while they are at it. Sorry, the integrity of the game MUST come first. Indidividual off field problems that in no way affect the outcome of any game should be ignored. what did gaylord perry do?

Spiff
10-05-2001, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
what did gaylord perry do?

Spit balls, vaseline, sand paper, etc..

Daver
10-05-2001, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
what did gaylord perry do?

Aside from being the biggest cheater the pitching position has ever seen in the history of the game,he was also a first class jag-off himself.

LongDistanceFan
10-05-2001, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00


Spit balls, vaseline, sand paper, etc.. beside that, what else, what you mention was part of the arsenal in the old days and many of the old time greats were guilty of it.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-05-2001, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
Spit balls, vaseline, sand paper, etc..


This reminds me of a story about Earl Weaver who went out to the mound to discuss strategy with his pitcher who had gotten himself in a jam. Weaver's advice: "If you know how to cheat, now is the time to start."

LongDistanceFan
10-05-2001, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge



This reminds me of a story about Earl Weaver who went out to the mound to discuss strategy with his pitcher who had gotten himself in a jam. Weaver's advice: "If you know how to cheat, now is the time to start." there was some catcher in the national league........ maybe with the reds. this cat would chew so much that he would spit on the side of him or close. he would then scrap the ball in this in a motion to throw it back to the pit. the pit liked to throw spitters. if the ump asked to see the ball he would wipe it real fast in his glove...... or something...... this was i believe in the late 70's or early 80's........ anybody remember this?

FarWestChicago
10-05-2001, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by daver


Aside from being the biggest cheater the pitching position has ever seen in the history of the game,he was also a first class jag-off himself. Yeah, but how do you really feel about the Ol' Cheater? :)

Daver
10-05-2001, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Yeah, but how do you really feel about the Ol' Cheater? :)

Suffice it to say I was kind in my post.


:)

RichieRichAllen
10-05-2001, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by daver


Suffice it to say I was kind in my post.


:)

OK, now you've got me curious, Davers. I can't remember any stories about ol' Gaylord that might give a person that impression. Of course, I've never heard anybody say nice things about the guy either.

You know something we don't? Don't be coy.

Daver
10-05-2001, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen


OK, now you've got me curious, Davers. I can't remember any stories about ol' Gaylord that might give a person that impression. Of course, I've never heard anybody say nice things about the guy either.

You know something we don't? Don't be coy.

I remeber being at a game as a little kid,and before the game my uncle went to get Perry's autograph,Perry was smoking a cigar next to the wall at Wrigley at the time,and as my uncle approched him,pen in hand,Perry walked away mouthing a few obsceneties about not having time for crap like this.My unce was never within ten feet of him and was pretty unhappy about the whole thing.

RichieRichAllen
10-05-2001, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by daver


I remeber being at a game as a little kid,and before the game my uncle went to get Perry's autograph,Perry was smoking a cigar next to the wall at Wrigley at the time,and as my uncle approched him,pen in hand,Perry walked away mouthing a few obsceneties about not having time for crap like this.My unce was never within ten feet of him and was pretty unhappy about the whole thing.

Stuff like that really has a lasting effect on the psyche. Hell, I was an adult watching BP from the box seats before a Sox-A's game at the Coliseum (can't remember the year) and saw Jack-o(ff) McDowell pull something similar.

Two young kids, about 10-12 years old were leaning over the railing with pen and paper in hand trying to get his autograph. McDowell had just connected with an old Stanford buddy in the stands (I was listening in on the conversation). The ******* had the audacity to yell at the kids, "HEY, I'm talking to somebody here". I couldn't believe it. Naturally, I yelled, "You're an *******, McDowell". He glared at me and went about talking to his friends.

I could/can never look at the guy in the same light after that, regardless of his good years with the Sox. He'll always be an asswipe to me.

LongDistanceFan
10-06-2001, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen


Stuff like that really has a lasting effect on the psyche. Hell, I was an adult watching BP from the box seats before a Sox-A's game at the Coliseum (can't remember the year) and saw Jack-o(ff) McDowell pull something similar.

Two young kids, about 10-12 years old were leaning over the railing with pen and paper in hand trying to get his autograph. McDowell had just connected with an old Stanford buddy in the stands (I was listening in on the conversation). The ******* had the audacity to yell at the kids, "HEY, I'm talking to somebody here". I couldn't believe it. Naturally, I yelled, "You're an *******, McDowell". He glared at me and went about talking to his friends.

I could/can never look at the guy in the same light after that, regardless of his good years with the Sox. He'll always be an asswipe to me. oh i love your response to him........ good job. i would've done the same.