PDA

View Full Version : No More Borchard

Mots09
08-25-2004, 08:04 PM
In my opinion I know he is or was suppose to be the next big stud but I am sick of seeing him in the lineup. The guy isn't even batting his weight. I would much rather see Gload out in RF even though Gload might be a bit more shakey in the field.....

I really hoped Joe would heat up and we could trade him, but didn't happen so might as well let him play every 3rd day this year, and have him start out in AAA again next year.

This guy will never pan out, and its so damn frusturating. We can't seem to have a guy come up from AAA and succeed.....:angry:

nodiggity59
08-25-2004, 08:07 PM
In my opinion I know he is or was suppose to be the next big stud but I am sick of seeing him in the lineup. The guy isn't even batting his weight. I would much rather see Gload out in RF even though Gload might be a bit more shakey in the field.....

I really hoped Joe would heat up and we could trade him, but didn't happen so might as well let him play every 3rd day this year, and have him start out in AAA again next year.

This guy will never pan out, and its so damn frusturating. We can't seem to have a guy come up from AAA and succeed.....:angry:The optimists (me) would say he is making more consistent contact, and the quality of his contact is improving.

A pessimist (so called "realist") would say his numbers were so abysmal that he had to get lucky at some point and will never truly improve.

Only time will tell and we have little to lose this year.

Randar68
08-25-2004, 08:13 PM
Only time will tell and we have little to lose this year.
Exactly, only time will tell. Do we need to see a thread like this every damned time he's in the lineup (gonna be most of the remaining games, folks)? Hell no. For all the people who said Rowand just needed full-time PT, LTP put up better numbers at AA and has undeniably more physical tools.

Just let the kid play regularly and watch, evaluate, and let it play itself out. If he's terrible, he won't be in the picture next year and you'll apparently be happy. If he does well, then hey, at worst, we have better trade-bait when Anderson is ready, etc etc.

skobabe8
08-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Exactly, only time will tell. Do we need to see a thread like this every damned time he's in the lineup (gonna be most of the remaining games, folks)? Hell no. For all the people who said Rowand just needed full-time PT, LTP put up better numbers at AA and has undeniably more physical tools.

Just let the kid play regularly and watch, evaluate, and let it play itself out. If he's terrible, he won't be in the picture next year and you'll apparently be happy. If he does well, then hey, at worst, we have better trade-bait when Anderson is ready, etc etc.
Absolutely! Run the kid out there every day. We've cashed it in already, why not get him some at-bats.

Wealz
08-25-2004, 08:31 PM

Dude, he'd have to improve to be terrible and how long ago was it that Loooong Term Project put up those AA numbers? As far as Borchard's trade value, do you think GM'S are so blinded by his physical tools not to see the massive hole in his swing?

Daver
08-25-2004, 08:35 PM
As far as Borchard's trade value, do you think GM'S are so blinded by his physical tools not to see the massive hole in his swing?
Plate discipline, as well as a players swing, can be improved. I have very little confidence that Greg Walker can do it, but it can be done.

Joe is one of the guys that would benefit from Walt Hrniak's style.

Wealz
08-25-2004, 08:45 PM
Plate discipline, as well as a players swing, can be improved. I have very little confidence that Greg Walker can do it, but it can be done.

Joe is one of the guys that would benefit from Walt Hrniak's style.
Is this an indictment of Walker or Borchard? FWIW, I'm not on board the Walker bandwagon either. I'm shocked that Borchard continues with virtually the same stance he's had since college and throughout his struggles the last few years. If it's broke fix it. That's an equal indictment of Borchard and the Sox minor league instructors.

Harris=God
08-25-2004, 08:45 PM
even though Gload might be a bit more shakey in the field.....

every ball hit borchards way seems to be difficult for him.

Daver
08-25-2004, 08:51 PM
That's an equal indictment of Borchard and the Sox minor league instructors.Joe really has had only one hitting coach, Greg Walker. The rest was done by roving instructors at the lower levels, his start in Charlotte this year would be the only time he has really worked with a different hitter coach, and he was coming off of last years injury to start the season.

batmanZoSo
08-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Is this an indictment of Walker or Borchard? FWIW, I'm not on board the Walker bandwagon either. I'm shocked that Borchard continues with virtually the same stance he's had since college and throughout his struggles the last few years. If it's broke fix it. That's an equal indictment of Borchard and the Sox minor league instructors.
It's such a pansy ass swing too. He looks all stiff and tentative up there. I bet he's had that stance since he was kid...looks like your typical no-form little league stance. He definitely needs to change something up.

Mots09
08-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey we can't rip him too much ,because he has GREAT POWER!

BS

Randar68
08-25-2004, 09:05 PM

BS:prozac

Sorry, what do we have to lose? You'd rather see everett the rest of the year?

settle down. Unreal. Isn't your 3rd grade school year starting soon?

skobabe8
08-25-2004, 09:17 PM

BS
No, not GREAT POWER. LIGHT TOWER POWER!

Mots09
08-25-2004, 09:43 PM
Randar I am settled down, all I am saying is I am sick of giving away 4 outs a game which are his at bats. The guy is a flop, and I would actually like to see Timo or Gload in RF not Ceve...

Randar68
08-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Randar I am settled down, all I am saying is I am sick of giving away 4 outs a game which are his at bats. The guy is a flop, and I would actually like to see Timo or Gload in RF not Ceve...
He was 1-4 the last 2 nights and 1-3 tonight with a walk in the 9th. Here we have konerko mailing it in and a handful of other players who can't do a damned thing, and you're directing your rage at someone who's never had any regular playing time at the MLB level and you're saying he shouldn't be playing on a team 9 games out in the last week of August?

Please tell me when he should get a shot then, if not now? Isn'tt itt time to finid out for good on him? Frankly, everyone is frustrated with this season, but the nighthly attacks on players is absoluteley disgusting, particularly those who've never even seen extended playing time.

Mots09
08-25-2004, 09:52 PM
I believe you should play your best 9 that gives you the best chance to win. With Joe in the game, all be it an opportunity for him, he doesn't give us the best opportunity to win..

Randar68
08-25-2004, 09:54 PM
I believe you should play your best 9 that gives you the best chance to win. With Joe in the game, all be it an opportunity for him, he doesn't give us the best opportunity to win..
Again, *** does it matter if we win another game? We're out of it. Time to find out who has the talent/ability to play and get a shot next year. 2 of our best 9 (2 of our best 2) are outt for the year as of 2 months ago. time to find ouot who deserves a look next spring...

Daver
08-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Aside from his breif stints in the majors, have you ever seen Borchard play?

There is a learning curve for every level of this game.

Randar68
08-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Aside from his breif stints in the majors, have you ever seen Borchard play?

There is a learning curve for every level of this game.yep. It took Rowand 3 years tot figure it out and he doesn't have Joe's physical potential. yet 100 part-time AB's are enough for Joe to not be worth late-season playing time when the team is out of it?

Maybe the stress of the season just erases a large portion of some people's ability to think clearly?

batmanZoSo
08-25-2004, 10:09 PM
You guys, Rowand showed flashes right away. In fact he looked pretty good in 01 when he was called up. Not only was he making nice catches but he was hitting the ball. Borchard has had at bats in some three seasons and he's never done a damn thing to make you think he's got any potential to hit major league pitching. Rowand didn't take three years to do something, it took him three years to earn an every day job. But he's always shown the ability. Borchard hasn't. I don't care about tools which he supposedly has in spades...he's a football player, a great college outfielder.

I_Liked_Manuel
08-25-2004, 11:20 PM
maggs is 50/50 to not be here next year, frank is on the downside of his career, manos won't be here next year, and with any luck konerko will be traded for something faster than a mule. what does that leave us with as far as power goes since you've got to have something in the lineup with more power than carlos lee? that's right, mr. joe borchard. i dont really understand why anybody would complain at this point about getting him some playing time, regardless of how bad he's been playing. he's going to need the at bats at some point to be a major league hitter. this thread is about as dumb as the threads to send rowand down to the minors earlier this year.

Rex Hudler
08-25-2004, 11:32 PM
Borchard should play everyday for the rest of this season, period. Every good reason has been given already.

This season is over. You play guys to see what you have for next year at this point. Borchard has worked hard. The Sox have an investment in him. It is time to see if that investment can be recovered. If not, nothing is lost. The Sox move on.

Joe is a class guy and a tireless worker. I know his lack of success frustrates fans, but I will tell you this....... If Joe puts it together, he will be the kind of player every one of you will LOVE to have playing for the Sox.

JB98
08-25-2004, 11:48 PM
You guys, Rowand showed flashes right away. In fact he looked pretty good in 01 when he was called up. Not only was he making nice catches but he was hitting the ball. Borchard has had at bats in some three seasons and he's never done a damn thing to make you think he's got any potential to hit major league pitching. Rowand didn't take three years to do something, it took him three years to earn an every day job. But he's always shown the ability. Borchard hasn't. I don't care about tools which he supposedly has in spades...he's a football player, a great college outfielder.

I tend to think you're right, but the Sox have to find out for sure about Borchard. The only way to do that is to play him. If we were still in the race, Perez would be out there everyday. As bad as Borchard has been, he's not hurting anything. We're losing with him in the lineup. We'd be losing just as much if he were on the bench.

batmanZoSo
08-25-2004, 11:50 PM
I don't care who we play this year, it's over. I just believe Borchard is a flat out bust.

mcfish
08-25-2004, 11:53 PM
Aside from putting him out there as a pinch hitter for Ben Davis in the bottom of the ninth with a runner on base in a 1 run game while I'm sitting in the centerfield bleachers in Fenway, I don't see any reason not to play him every day. Think about the future, and stop worrying about the disaster that is 2004.

PaulDrake
08-26-2004, 08:40 AM
I don't care who we play this year, it's over. I just believe Borchard is a flat out bust. He is, but he has lots of friends here. He's a bust of major proportions but many still want to believe.

Baby Fisk
08-26-2004, 08:54 AM
I tend to think you're right, but the Sox have to find out for sure about Borchard. The only way to do that is to play him. If we were still in the race, Perez would be out there everyday. As bad as Borchard has been, he's not hurting anything. We're losing with him in the lineup. We'd be losing just as much if he were on the bench.I agree. Let him play out the season (still 5 weeks people!) and see what his numbers are on 4 October. I Want To Believe. :cool:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/stagefright_1805_84496949

misty60481
08-26-2004, 08:55 AM
Play him our future is sure not in Ross Gload or Timo Perez---I hope

jshanahanjr
08-26-2004, 12:37 PM
They both suck! PLay them the rest of the year and then release them. They are hot garbage!:angry:

Mots09
08-26-2004, 12:38 PM
I just wish Borchard would get on a tear, and show off that light-tower power so we can dump him in the off-season.

Randar68
08-26-2004, 12:40 PM
They both suck! PLay them the rest of the year and then release them. They are hot garbage!:angry:
And this tool is allowed to keep posting why?

:threadsucks