PDA

View Full Version : When Are Sox Announcers Contracts Up??

Ken
08-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Now that there is talk about cleaning house at the Cell, maybe ESPN 1000 can take a look at the "corny" combination of Rooney and Farmer. One or the other, but the two of them together are unbearable!

I know there are some diehard Sox fans who can't be critical of Farmer, since he is a local boy and an ex-Sox. But, I know in talking to many Sox fans and even a Chicago sports media columnist that a lot of people can no longer tolerate that lame comedy act on ESPN. I guess it is even tougher to take when the season is down the tubes!

mdep524
08-25-2004, 07:25 PM
Now that there is talk about cleaning house at the Cell, maybe ESPN 1000 can take a look at the "corny" combination of Rooney and Farmer. One or the other, but the two of them together are unbearable!

I know there are some diehard Sox fans who can't be critical of Farmer, since he is a local boy and an ex-Sox. But, I know in talking to many Sox fans and even a Chicago sports media columnist that a lot of people can no longer tolerate that lame comedy act on ESPN. I guess it is even tougher to take when the season is down the tubes!
Wow. I believe you are going to find that you are in the minority here, because the general concensus is that John Rooney is a very professional, well-liked quality play-by-play announcer. Opinions are split about Farmer, I happen to like his deadpan, odd ball style, and I think the two work very well together and should continue to do so for years to come.

nccwsfan
08-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Disagree strongly. Rooney and Farmer are a very good combo and I hope that they keep them around for many years to come.

wulfy
08-25-2004, 07:42 PM
I'll back you up 50% here .... I like the stylings of John Rooney, but find Farmer un-listenable. He's neither entertaining, informative nor insightful. He's Lou Boudreau-esque as an announcer. Farmer is able to make a grand slam about as exciting as a root canal.

But he's obviously one of Chairman Jerry's favorites, so I'd be surprised if he went anywhere. We can only hope the possibililty of returning to scouting calls him back.

bc2k
08-25-2004, 07:45 PM
I guess it is even tougher to take when the season is down the tubes!
Farmer and Rooney are the only reasons to keep following the Sox. Farmer teaches me so much about the game of baseball while also entertaining me. Keep them both.

Ken
08-25-2004, 07:49 PM
I should have made my original point clearer. I actually think that each of them has some good qualities - Rooney is good play-by-play and Farmer is very knowledgeable. However, the two of them together come off like a bad act on "Hee-Haw". I think most people have even noticed how Farmer has seemed to bring Rooney down to a new level. John used to provide a classy, intelligent broadcast. Now he has to find some lame humor in the last name of every player on the opposing team!

batmanZoSo
08-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Now that there is talk about cleaning house (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=624,28180399,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,0) at the Cell, maybe ESPN 1000 can take a look at the "corny" combination of Rooney and Farmer. One or the other, but the two of them together are unbearable!

Jesus, what do people want out of a pair of broadcasters? They don't go out of their way to try to be funny, they just have a little fun. I don't see how they could be annoying. They're both real Sox fans who also are not afraid to tell it like it is. Rooney's got a great classic baseball voice and Farmer in my opinion is funny in a very quirky and odd sort of way.

Kogs35
08-25-2004, 08:43 PM

john and ed are under contract with the chicago white. talking baseball was added to john resume when the sox moved over to wmvp now espn1000. john does work for espn radio in the playoffs, and has worked final fours for west wood one, and has worked mlb on fox saterday games before. im not going to get into where the sox will go for 06.

mdep524
08-25-2004, 08:50 PM
I should have made my original point clearer. I actually think that each of them has some good qualities - Rooney is good play-by-play and Farmer is very knowledgeable. However, the two of them together come off like a bad act on "Hee-Haw". I think most people have even noticed how Farmer has seemed to bring Rooney down to a new level. John used to provide a classy, intelligent broadcast. Now he has to find some lame humor in the last name of every player on the opposing team!
I disagree with you even more strongly on this point to. I love the way John and Ed play off each other. You can tell they've been working together for a long time, and it's fun to listen to. Plus, they're very professional but still defintely the home town announcers. What more can you ask for?

HomeFish
08-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Rooney I have no feelings about, but, in a world ruled by HomeFish, Ed Farmer would be untouchable. I've never enjoyed a broadcaster the way I enjoy him.

skobabe8
08-25-2004, 09:04 PM

Thats a HUGE mistake. And I'd like to know who you're talking to.

Corny? Have u ever heard broadcasts (radio and TV) from the other team in town?? Theres more corn in those broadcasts than there is in all of the midwest!

nccwsfan
08-25-2004, 09:17 PM
I disagree with you even more strongly on this point to. I love the way John and Ed play off each other. You can tell they've been working together for a long time, and it's fun to listen to. Plus, they're very professional but still defintely the home town announcers. What more can you ask for?
Not to mention that Willsy is great with the pregame and postgame shows. This is a good radio team and I hope they keep them intact for years to come.

petekat
08-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Rooney is one of the best in the business. He's been doing postseason and all-star games for network radio for how long? Farmer can do with or without, sure he's pompous now and again- but he knows the game, and strives the educate the casual fan. Much more than you can say for the ass clowns on WGN

Wow. I believe you are going to find that you are in the minority here, because the general concensus is that John Rooney is a very professional, well-liked quality play-by-play announcer. Opinions are split about Farmer, I happen to like his deadpan, odd ball style, and I think the two work very well together and should continue to do so for years to come.

soxwon
08-25-2004, 10:52 PM

i love rooney n farmio
farmer makes me laugh
rooneys the best in baseball

StillMissOzzie
08-25-2004, 11:08 PM
I think that Rooney is one of the best in the business. I really enjoy listening when he imitates other famous announcers like Vin Scully, Jon Miller, etc. Farmio, on the other hand, grates on me. Sometimes he can make the most exciting moments sound like a funeral.

However, if we didn't have Farmio, we'd never have the great riffs by the one and only...KingXerxes!!!

SMO
:gulp:

rwcescato
08-25-2004, 11:10 PM
I think they are great. It would be wierd not to hear the 2 together.
I listen to the radio more tahn watch the games. I love the 2 guys.
Rich

rwcescato
08-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Farmer and Rooney are the only reasons to keep following the Sox. Farmer teaches me so much about the game of baseball while also entertaining me. Keep them both.
You mean the abc's of baseball. As a pitcher tends to do that from time to time.
Rich

JohnBasedowYoda
08-25-2004, 11:13 PM
If it weren't for the farmer/rooney combo i prolly wouldn't be a sox fan really. they are entertaining even when the sox are getting pounded.

We should all agree on the fact that dj needs to go though

nordhagen
08-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Farmio has come a long, long, long way since he started in the early 90s, which is more than anyone can say about beloved Pizza Ass in the other radio booth across town. I'm still not excited about Ed's play-by-play, but it's improved a lot since he started. His analysis is pretty solid and he's not a homer. And he certainly has more interesting thoughts than DJ

OurBitchinMinny
08-25-2004, 11:25 PM

Rooney and farmer are far better than hawk and dj. Rooney is the best of all of them..Farmer is not good, but bearable. I cant stand DJ. Hawk has slipped a great deal too

batmanZoSo
08-25-2004, 11:26 PM
i love rooney n farmio
farmer makes me laugh
rooneys the best in baseball
Haiku time:

Rooney calls the plays
Farmer chimes in with color
Purple lilacs bloom

manuelsucks
08-25-2004, 11:53 PM
Rooney and farmer are far better than hawk and dj. Rooney is the best of all of them..Farmer is not good, but bearable. I cant stand DJ. Hawk has slipped a great deal too
Like you and JohnBasedowYoda said, DJ must leave. I really think Hawk is getting better in his old age, becuase he doesn't seem to care what he says anymore, which is great. Just let is out, which is what he does. I personally like Farmer and Rooney, but can not understand how you would not like Farmer. He is pretty boring, but come on, Rooney is a pro and just great at calling the game.

mike squires
08-26-2004, 12:10 AM
I know we are talking about Rooney and Farmio specifically here, but I used to love listening to McConnell and Lorn Brown. I miss McConnell and wish I knew why he left. He's from Goodland, In about 10 minutes form my hometwon of Brook, In. Crandell was kind of like Farmer...dry but decent. It's hard to believe Farmer has only been her since 92. Seems like he's been around forever...

BainesHOF
08-26-2004, 03:18 AM
Farmer and Rooney are way too self-absorbed with their inside comedy act. It's one thing to provide a nice distraction when a game had turned into a blow out, but they're non-stop with the nonsense. When it's the late innings of a tight game, it's time to buckle down and concentrate on the game.

I've been listening to some Sox radio broadcasts from the '70s recently and it's so refreshing to hear guys like Harry and Jimmy and Lorn Brown focus on the game. Our radio guys now too often act as if they can't be bothered with describing what is happening.

And Farmer's matter-of-fact delivery of when things go bad for the Sox is as maddening as how he immediately tries to distract the listener from what just happened. It's so transparent what he's trying to do.

Just announce the game, Ed. You don't have to be a total shill.

SSN721
08-26-2004, 06:49 AM
I think they are both a great team and even when seasons have been completely written off I still tune in just to hear both of them. I can see how people dont like Ed's dead-pan delivery and it is true that every now and then some excitement in his play-by-play would be nice, but how can you not like John Rooney? He has the classic voice, delivery, and style. He is good at announcing just about anything. I hope they stay together for a long time.

danzee23
08-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Good morning all:

I was following this thread and I have to say I don't think ESPN will be changing their line up any time soon. If I am not mistaken Farmer, Rooney, and Hawk
where all nominated for the hall of fame broadcaster slot last year.

I had to through Hawk in their.

PS.

Does anyone have any hawk wav's? I'm trying to put a whitesox theme
for XP together.

Etownsox13
08-26-2004, 09:32 AM

What else is there to do? Nothing on the field is worth talking about.