PDA

View Full Version : Tim Hummel's AFL debut

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 01:24 AM
Some notes I got regarding Hummel:

First of all, the guy is built solidly. If he plays 2b, a good comparison would be Jeff Kent. 6'2 200 lb.

My friend thought he would play SS, but he played 2b instead, with Bobby Hill at SS.

In his 1st AB, he drew a 5 pitch walk and would score on a Nic Jackson 2 run bomb!

In his 2nd AB, Hummel worked the count 3-1, before drilling a fastball to dead center that the CF caught at the wall. Ball really jumps off his bat.

In his 3rd AB, Hummel fouled out to the catcher.

In his final AB, Hummel chased 2 breaking balls down in the dirt, before striking out looking.

In the field he turned a marvelous forceout, ranging far to his right and making a diving stop on a ball ticketed for CF; he flipped to Hill for the out.

Good range, SS arm at 2b, if he stays there.

Borchard, Guerrier, and Kane didn't play today.

The only other Sox player was Mario Valenzuela who batted 3rd and played RF.

He struck out twice, but played decently in RF.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
how did hill do?
hummel arm is "ss" kind, but the knock on him was that he had no arm and limited range so a moved to 2b was done.

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 01:43 AM
Bobby Hill played SS today and batted leadoff once again.

In his 1st AB against Miller (the southpaw), he hit a grounder into the 6 hole and beat out the throw. He was awarded 2nd on a throwing error, not given the infield single.

In his 2nd AB, Hill walked on 5 pitches.

In his 3rd AB, he grounded out to 2nd.

In his 4th AB, Hill lined a single up the middle.

In his 5th AB, Hill sacrificed a runner to 3rd base with one out (the guy who drove in Jackson with the tying run in the 9th).

Hill looked really nice at SS;He fielded a grounder up the middle and turned a 6-3 doubleplay.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 01:50 AM
Bobby Hill played SS today and batted leadoff once again.

In his 1st AB against Miller (the southpaw), he hit a grounder into the 6 hole and beat out the throw. He was awarded 2nd on a throwing error, not given the infield single.

In his 2nd AB, Hill walked on 5 pitches.

In his 3rd AB, he grounded out to 2nd.

In his 4th AB, Hill lined a single up the middle.

In his 5th AB, Hill sacrificed a runner to 3rd base with one out (the guy who drove in Jackson with the tying run in the 9th).

Hill looked really nice at SS;He fielded a grounder up the middle and turned a 6-3 doubleplay. damn, if it weren't for boras.

kermittheefrog
10-04-2001, 01:51 AM
Wasn't Matt Guerrier supposed to pitch for the Solar Sox today? What happened with that?

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 01:58 AM
I thought so too.

The starting pitcher was top Met prospect Jae Seo, and he got shelled early.

The other pitchers were guys I'd never heard of, Jason Saenz, Chuck Crowder, and a few others.

Spiff
10-04-2001, 06:28 AM
I thought so too.

The starting pitcher was top Met prospect Jae Seo, and he got shelled early.

Was Jae Seo in the futures game? If he's who I'm thinking of he was pretty impressive in that game.

Randar68
10-04-2001, 09:05 AM
Wasn't Matt Guerrier supposed to pitch for the Solar Sox today? What happened with that?

He's been listed as the probable starter for the Solar Sox' third game on the AFL official site.

A little on Hummel. One of the biggest comparisons has always been to Jeff Kent. He plays a solid, but mostly unspectacular second base. He will not range down the RF line like Durham, but few do. He is good up the middle, as V's friend saw last night. The ball does jump off his bat, but he has a very level line drive swing that generally puts balls with enough force to go out, into the gaps or off the wall. Most minor league teams have advertisement walls that are 12-15 feet high, so his MLB HR totals may vary greatly from his AA numbers.

Also, on his defense. Most scouts I heard from said that Hummel was a step slow at SS, too big and not quick enough with his first move, as far as getting to balls. He's not a speedster, but he's big with a good reach. There were thoughts of moving him to 3B, but in a few starts there this year, he really struggled. He does have a strong arm, but he has trouble with accuracy on the long throws, so they put him at 2B.

As far as Hill, I was hoping we wouldn't regret losing him, and in our desperate search for a leadoff man, I am starting to think even if/when Hummel starts producing, we'll still be missing that leadoff hitter.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

As far as Hill, I was hoping we wouldn't regret losing him, and in our desperate search for a leadoff man, I am starting to think even if/when Hummel starts producing, we'll still be missing that leadoff hitter. i agree with this, i was hoping that losing hill will not come back to haunt us, and i now think that it will............

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i agree with this, i was hoping that losing hill will not come back to haunt us, and i now think that it will............ what was the final contract of hill when he signed? how was it compared to what the sox were offering?

Randar68
10-04-2001, 02:21 PM
what was the final contract of hill when he signed? how was it compared to what the sox were offering?

I believe it was a 1.2 million dollar contract compared to the 900,000 the Sox offered the year before....dumb...

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 02:23 PM

I believe it was a 1.2 million dollar contract compared to the 900,000 the Sox offered the year before....dumb... he only signed for that much, the sox came up to 1.1- 1.3 mil right before the re-entry draft and boras said no.

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 02:31 PM
I'm pretty sure the Cubs gave him 1.425 million.

Randar68
10-04-2001, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the Cubs gave him 1.425 million.

That sounds right. Also, I believe he was asking the Sox for near 2 million.

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 03:25 PM
That was in '99 right? Awesome draft for the Sox. Ginter, Rauch, and Stumm right?

Soxboyrob
10-04-2001, 03:28 PM
Wasn't Buehrle our 38th round pick in that draft also? Or was he in '98?

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 03:38 PM
Technically speaking, '98. But he was a DF&E sign in 99.

Randar68
10-04-2001, 04:05 PM
That was in '99 right? Awesome draft for the Sox. Ginter, Rauch, and Stumm right?

If some of these guys pan out, it could be one of the best drafts ever as far as one team pitching draft...

1) Stumm
1) Ginter (Comp. for Ventura)
1(Supp) Brian West (Belle)
1(Supp) Rob Purvis (Ventura)
2) Wright (Belle)
2) Hill 2B, DNS
3) Rauch
5) Josh Stewart
8) Dennis Ulacia
9)Corwin Malone.
10) Matt Guerrier
11) Alex Hollifield
13) Casey Rogowski 1B
22) Kris McWhirter
23) Joe Curreri
26) Joe Valentine

Just about everyone on this last has a pretty good chance to someday contribute to a major league roster. Certainly some of them will not, but just Rauch, Ginter, Stumm, Wright, Malone, and Ulacia is one hell of a pitching draft class...

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 04:21 PM
My God, that's not fair. How the hell did they sign Malone???

I like Guerrier a lot, he's got some wild hair (to go along with good stuff).

Not familiar with Purvis.

Randar68
10-04-2001, 04:28 PM
Not familiar with Purvis.

He had some significant control problems and was pretty hittable in his first season in AA. I'm not all that impressed with his stuff, but if you look at the 1999 draft, there weren't very many good players taken after the top 10 picks (although those were great picks mostly)

Randar68
10-04-2001, 04:30 PM
My God, that's not fair. How the hell did they sign Malone???

Well, coming out of HS he didn't have much but an uncontrollable fastball. They spent a ton of time with him on his mechanics and working on his breaking pitches. He wasn't a highly touted kid coming out of HS, if I remember correctly. Could be a HUGE steal, he's very impressive.

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 04:34 PM
Lots of pitching. Beckett, Ainsworth, Myers, Howington, Christensen, Jennings, as well as the Sox prospects. And Of course, the Royals draft some bust ahead of Zito, Bobby Bradley, and Ben Sheets...

I hope the Cubs fleece them and get Sweeney; probably won't happen though.

Randar68
10-04-2001, 04:41 PM
I hope the Cubs fleece them and get Sweeney; probably won't happen though.

Bet they could fleece the Brewers and get Mark Sweeney, for Choi??? LOL!!! jk!

BTW, there was some good pitching talent, but compared to the strength in this and last year's draft, it seems awfully weak outside of the top ten.

Why in a hurry to get Sweeney, aren't you confident in Choi? BTW, I saw he had an E last night in his first game. I know he's a pretty solid defensive 1B, so I'll chalk this one up to chance that it happened in the first game. Man have they rushed that kid.

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 04:53 PM
Very confident in Choi, agile for a big man, maybe he could play left. I really like Mike Sweeney, though. It'd cost Choi, but at 27, Sweeney's young and would be impressive behind Sosa.

The error came late in the game, he backpeddaled on a sharp grounder and it ate him up.

He did of course win the game with a 10th inning homerun!

Malone's 21 right? He's definitely a steal; probably could replace Parque in a few years to become their LHSP.

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 04:57 PM
BTW, there was some good pitching talent, but compared to the strength in this and last year's draft, it seems awfully weak outside of the top ten.

I agree with that. I like Ty Howington of the Reds a lot, though.

The upcoming draft looks weak as well, but come 2003, I'm hoping the Cubs will amass a few compensation picks because that draft is loaded with pitching and hitting.

Randar68
10-04-2001, 05:40 PM
Malone's 21 right? He's definitely a steal; probably could replace Parque in a few years to become their LHSP.

Well, he just turned 21 in late July. As for the Parque thing, I think you'll see Parque, Wunsch, and possibly Emree as our LH relievers, with D Wells and Buehrle as the only LH starters. After 2002, I think the other LH spot vacated by Wells will be available for him assuming he has no setbacks in his progress. It may be an all-out competition with Ulacia, but I think you can only have 1 finesse lefty in a playoff rotation, so I'm not quite sure where Ulacia will fit in.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 05:43 PM

That sounds right. Also, I believe he was asking the Sox for near 2 million. yeah that sounds right, he wanted real high 1 round money.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 05:49 PM

As for the Parque thing, I think you'll see Parque, Wunsch, and possibly Emree as our LH relievers, . do you see embree still with us next yr?

Daver
10-04-2001, 07:57 PM
do you see embree still with us next yr?

Embree intrigues me,but he will be gone.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by daver

Embree intrigues me,but he will be gone. how does he intrigues you....... for me, he has some nasty stuff, but then does the batters tee off on him.

Daver
10-04-2001, 08:17 PM
how does he intrigues you....... for me, he has some nasty stuff, but then does the batters tee off on him.

Thats why he intrigues me,he will have days where he goes out and just blows the ball past hitters,and the next day he may as well be pitching BP.

If he could get with a pitching coach that knew his ass from third base he could be a quality releiver,but the way he changes his rytham and release point from day to day makes me nuts.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 08:20 PM

Thats why he intrigues me,he will have days where he goes out and just blows the ball past hitters,and the next day he may as well be pitching BP.

If he could get with a pitching coach that knew his ass from third base he could be a quality releiver,but the way he changes his rytham and release point from day to day makes me nuts. wow...... i was reading my post to you, i am glad you were able to decipher what i wrote......

Daver
10-04-2001, 08:26 PM
wow...... i was reading my post to you, i am glad you were able to decipher what i wrote......

I was an english major in college for almost a whole semester......

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 08:29 PM

I was an english major in college for almost a whole semester...... english, man that is one hard language for me, so i make it as i go a long. :)

Daver
10-04-2001, 08:37 PM
english, man that is one hard language for me, so i make it as i go a long. :)

LMAO.