PDA

View Full Version : Up to the second standings

danman31
07-25-2001, 01:32 AM
Division Standings
Cleveland 57-41
Minnesota 58-42
White Sox 49-49 8

Not too bad, 8 back could be much worse.

Wild Card Standings
Minnesota 58-42
Boston 57-42
Oakland 54-46
Anaheim 51-49
White Sox 49-49

*** is up with the Angels? Hopefully the unbalanced schedule will have Seattle knock them and Oakland back a bit. We play Boston, so we can gain ground there. Minnesota is slumping, great! There I made some sense out of how we can win the wild card.

FarWestChicago
07-25-2001, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by danman31
*** is up with the Angels?

It must be the Rally Monkeys. At least our Rally Pooch came through today!

Spiff
07-25-2001, 08:05 AM
It's going to be really, reallly, really tough to leapfrog all of those teams. Minnesota may be the least of the Sox worries since they're slumping but they're like 1-11 head to head. Boston is starting to get people back with Nomar a couple games away and Everett almost healthy. Then there's Pedro and Varitek also. Oakland is hot now and if they keep it up they'll be almost impossible to overtake. Even Anaheim has good lately.

I'm not saying it's impossible but the Sox need the right planets in the right order.

KempersRS
07-25-2001, 09:36 AM
At least our Rally Pooch came through today!

Yeah, I gotta use the rally pooch more, I haven't been around much. Don't worry, I'll get the tag goin tonight and we'll put up enough runs to win!

Clarkdog
07-25-2001, 11:44 AM
I think the Sox should concentrate on the teams in thier division. Focus on the Indians and Twins, and getting yourself a number of games over .500. That is the only area where you have the most control over your situation. The Wild Card has too many teams and too many variables to start to posture for a run. Besides, how often do you hear of teams trying to "run" at the wild card in July? If they concentrate on their division, and find in September that they might fall short, then start thinking wild card.

Get close (within 4 games) to the Indians and Twins by September. The wild card will work itself out.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-25-2001, 11:58 AM
The Wild Card has too many teams and too many variables to start to posture for a run. Besides, how often do you hear of teams trying to "run" at the wild card in July?

It's a measure of how far we've fallen that a run at the wild card is our best hope. Losing all those games to the Twins and missing chances to close ground with them and Cleveland really hurt.

The wild card hardly looks better. There are too many teams ahead of us. Even if 1 or 2 stumble, somebody else will still be charging into the lead before us.

We can always hope for everyone else to collapse. Unfortunately the Flubs are in the other league!

:scrubs

Clarkdog
07-25-2001, 03:50 PM
With Jermaine Dye going to the A's. I think they are the team to beat for the wild card. It's all they can play for. The A's only have 3 games left with Seattle, and Seattle in uncatchable. So they will likely roll given the way they are playing now, their pitching, and offense (improved now with Dye).

So if the Sox still believe they can get into the playoffs through the wild card, they would have to make some kind of deal to improve now. They may deal, but I don't think KW will trade the future to get better now. He may deal players that are expendable in 2001 because there is no plan for them in 2002. But that may only make them marginally better. Not get them over the top. They are too far out now to make such a deal.

When you think about it, who now has the better team: Oakland, Cleveland, or Minnesota?

I say Oakland. And if so, then the Sox best chance to the playoffs is by winning the Central.