PDA

View Full Version : Nancy and Gene need more props

mike squires
08-24-2004, 11:19 PM
Not sure if this belongs in the Parking lot or not. But it is SOx related so I'm puttin it here...

Nancy and Gene are not mentioned at all in the 2000 or 2003 media guides. We have the best in the business and they're nowhere to be found!!! I know Nancy is always in the program and stuff but come one. I thought you were supposed to be able to know EVERYTHING about the team in the media guides!

TornLabrum
08-24-2004, 11:32 PM
Not sure if this belongs in the Parking lot or not. But it is SOx related so I'm puttin it here...

Nancy and Gene are not mentioned at all in the 2000 or 2003 media guides. We have the best in the business and they're nowhere to be found!!! I know Nancy is always in the program and stuff but come one. I thought you were supposed to be able to know EVERYTHING about the team in the media guides!
Nancy and Gene are both on Page 4 of the Media Guide.

mike squires
08-24-2004, 11:35 PM
OK, my bad...but their mugs need to be in the guide...Honda, Faust and I'm adding Bossard to the list....

I think my next visit to the ball yard I'm taking my wifes watering can to get Rogers autograph...:smile:

Whitesox029
08-24-2004, 11:56 PM
I agree, especially for Nancy. If one pays enough attention, one can hear a musical play on almost every opposing hitter's name hand selected and played by none other than Nancy I'm sure. A few examples:

Orlando Cabrera: Played snippets of several Disney songs in between pitches of his at-bat.

Dmitri Young: Played Frank Sinatra's "Young at Heart."

These are really clever. If you're ever looking for something to do at the park rather than paying attention to the usually-pitiful action on the field, this is fun stuff.

TornLabrum
08-25-2004, 12:11 AM
I agree, especially for Nancy. If one pays enough attention, one can hear a musical play on almost every opposing hitter's name hand selected and played by none other than Nancy I'm sure. A few examples:

Orlando Cabrera: Played snippets of several Disney songs in between pitches of his at-bat.

Dmitri Young: Played Frank Sinatra's "Young at Heart."

These are really clever. If you're ever looking for something to do at the park rather than paying attention to the usually-pitiful action on the field, this is fun stuff.
My recent favorite was 12 nights ago when John Buck was hitting late in the game. In the middle of his at bat, Nancy suddenly "blurts out" Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I cracked up, and so did the woman sitting behind me, who then explained it to her kids.

Whitesox029
08-25-2004, 12:16 AM
My recent favorite was 12 nights ago when John Buck was hitting late in the game. In the middle of his at bat, Nancy suddenly "blurts out" Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I cracked up, and so did the woman sitting behind me, who then explained it to her kids.hahahahaha Nancy is excellent.

petekat
08-25-2004, 12:26 AM
Gene Honda is cool too. He's really getting some major gigs- he did the NCAA final four this season. He likes hanging out and talking Sox with fans a la WIllsy, my buddies saw him in a neighborhood bar in Edgewater and he was asking everyone in the bar sports trivia questions

TornLabrum
08-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Gene Honda is cool too. He's really getting some major gigs- he did the NCAA final four this season. He likes hanging out and talking Sox with fans a la WIllsy, my buddies saw him in a neighborhood bar in Edgewater and he was asking everyone in the bar sports trivia questions
I think I've told this story before about Gene. When the Windy City Sox Fans first started, I interviewed him for our first newsletter. He's been very nice to me ever since, and we always talk during SoxFest and whenever I see him at the ball park.

I missed SoxFest 2002 (the only one I've ever missed) due to some abdominal surgery that I had a couple of days after Christmas. Fluid collected under the incision, and the upper part had to be opened up. I ended up walking around with a hole in my belly until about the Fourth of July.

At any rate, when Gene saw me at SoxFest 2003, the first thing he did was ask how I was doing, if I was okay, what exactly was wrong, etc. He's one of the good guys.

SSN721
08-25-2004, 08:07 AM
OK, my bad...but their mugs need to be in the guide...Honda, Faust and I'm adding Bossard to the list....

I think my next visit to the ball yard I'm taking my wifes watering can to get Rogers autograph...:smile:

Ah, Roger Bossard, the Sodfather. He is the man, I cant think of another park in the majors that he didnt help design the field that could handle weather the way the Cell can. Just imagine how many postponed games we would have had this year if it wasnt for Roger.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Is Nancy getting more playing time now that Dr. Marketing Death has been relieved of his duties? Is it my imagination or am I hearing her during the game more than I used to?

:gallas
"This is the thanks I get for giving Sox Fans Joe Stephen? Ingrates..."

mike squires
08-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Not ecactly sure. I know for awhile there she wasn't allowed to play when the Sox were up. I really miss "play me some mountain music" when the Sox would have a really going and "run around sue" 30,000+m singing Wo wo, oh oh oh oh oh oh...it was beautiful. Let Nancy play. Who is responsible for the sound effects? Over the weekend, they did a wolf everytime Damon came to the plate.

TornLabrum
08-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Is Nancy getting more playing time now that Dr. Marketing Death has been relieved of his duties? Is it my imagination or am I hearing her during the game more than I used to?

:gallas
"This is the thanks I get for giving Sox Fans Joe Stephen? Ingrates..."
I just wrote Nancy an email asking that very question. Jeff and I had that discussion at Sunday's game. Have you also noticed that you can now actually hear the organ during the inning when she's playing between pitches? That seems to have changed in the past couple of months, too.

I've noticed that she seems playing a lot more during Sox at bats than she was before. Less of the canned sound effects, etc. Maybe Brooks Boyer realizes what a fan favorite Nancy is.

mike squires
08-25-2004, 10:23 AM
You have Nancy's e-mail??? I would love to drop her a line if you can give it out....

TornLabrum
08-25-2004, 10:33 AM
You have Nancy's e-mail??? I would love to drop her a line if you can give it out....
Sorry, no can do.

jackbrohamer
08-25-2004, 10:56 AM
I've noticed her more the last couple of months also. One of the best reasons to get to a Sox game early is to hear that stretch before games where she plays pretty much un-interrupted

mike squires
08-25-2004, 11:51 AM
I always know then Nancy gets there. I'm usually shagging foul balls and whatnot. All of a sudden my feet start tapping and I think...Yup, Nancy has clocked in.

Did Nancy ever play for Blackhawk or Bulls games. I thought i heard several years ago that she played fot the Bulls. I was jealous cause I wanted her to play just for the Sox.

Torn, let Nancy know we all love her here on this sight and we want her to play some run around sue during pitching changes. (of course after the na na na)

jackbrohamer
08-25-2004, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=mike squires] Did Nancy ever play for Blackhawk or Bulls games. I thought i heard several years ago that she played fot the Bulls. I was jealous cause I wanted her to play just for the Sox[.QUOTE]

I believe she played at both Bulls and Blackhawks games a while ago

The Critic
08-25-2004, 02:56 PM
I like Nancy, and I'm happy if they are letting her play a little more.
Not ALL music at the park has to be canned.
Honda, I don't like much - his voice annoys me, and that's a fairly large problem with a PA guy.
The Sodfather, of course, is THA MAN! "That's a Roger Bossard signature field right there..." HA!

petekat
08-25-2004, 03:15 PM
yup she played the Bulls games at the old chicago stadium- starting back in the artis gilmore years- remember her playing the space ghost theme as a kid

[QUOTE=mike squires] Did Nancy ever play for Blackhawk or Bulls games. I thought i heard several years ago that she played fot the Bulls. I was jealous cause I wanted her to play just for the Sox[.QUOTE]

I believe she played at both Bulls and Blackhawks games a while ago

TornLabrum
08-25-2004, 03:18 PM
I always know then Nancy gets there. I'm usually shagging foul balls and whatnot. All of a sudden my feet start tapping and I think...Yup, Nancy has clocked in.

Did Nancy ever play for Blackhawk or Bulls games. I thought i heard several years ago that she played fot the Bulls. I was jealous cause I wanted her to play just for the Sox.

Torn, let Nancy know we all love her here on this sight and we want her to play some run around sue during pitching changes. (of course after the na na na)
I know Nancy visits the site on occasion, but I don't know if she ever checks out the message boards. I did tell her about this thread, and if I get a reply (she's self-admittedly bad at answering letters or email) I asked for her permission to include any comments in my next column. I hope she replies.

soxfanreggie
08-25-2004, 03:50 PM
Nancy is a class act, and I don't think there is a better organist in baseball. My dad has known her for years; I even have her baseball card (one signed, one unsigned). Our entire family thinks nothing higher of her. We have taken friends to see her in her booth and the games and she always signs autos and talks when she isn't playing. I think she definitely makes games fun. Three cheers for Nancy

jenmcm76
08-25-2004, 06:27 PM

Yep - in fact, Nancy is the answer to one of my favorite Chicago sports trivia questions:
Who played for the White Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks all in the same year?