PDA

View Full Version : Could the Cubs Stick it to Daley?

Uncle_Patrick
08-24-2004, 05:05 PM
I stumbled across this article. This guy proposes that the Cubs could really give the metaphorical finger to Daley by building a replica of Wrigley Field (with some updated facilities) somewhere in the Northshore suburbs. I worked in Deerfield all throughout college and while I'm sure there is a large Cubbie-loving contingent there, there's no way I see the residence allowing this to happen. Besides, even if this could happen, I think the city would recover.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/nadel/b3v99gii076.html

Any thoughts?

Randar68
08-24-2004, 05:07 PM
I stumbled across this article. This guy proposes that the Cubs could really give the metaphorical finger to Daley by building a replica of Wrigley Field (with some updated facilities) somewhere in the Northshore suburbs. I worked in Deerfield all throughout college and while I'm sure there is a large Cubbie-loving contingent there, there's no way I see the residence allowing this to happen. Besides, even if this could happen, I think the city would recover.

Any thoughts?
Please, please, please do it...

it would be a terrible move for them, but I'd love to see them try.

Baby Fisk
08-24-2004, 05:11 PM
I understand Norfolk is looking for a tenant. :cool:

DumpJerry
08-24-2004, 05:29 PM
What the @*%^# was this guy smoking? Do they do drug testing where he works?:cool:

I guess Deerfield, Highland Park or Lake Forest residents would love to reduce their water bills by not having to water their lawns on game day.

I would pay good money to see the faces of these upper crust snobs when drunken Flub fans flood their precious little communities on game day....let 'em go! Chicago is a big city with a very diverse tax base, it won't hurt us.

LuvSox
08-24-2004, 05:29 PM
I understand Norfolk is looking for a tenant. :cool:
They seem to like baseball in Puerto Rico.

MRKARNO
08-24-2004, 05:46 PM
First of all, the people who live in these suburbs moved up there so they wouldnt have to deal with things that are supposed to be in the city like baseball stadium traffic and noise. All of these people can afford to live in the city if they want to and they don't want to and they surely dont want their suburbs turning into the northern version of wrigleyville. No way they'd let it happen. Second of all, if houses are going for between 500 grand to the millions, how the hell would these communities find any land at a reasonable price to give to the Tribune co? It's stupid and ridiculous and

:threadsucks

34 Inch Stick
08-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Of course then the Cubs would be stuck with a landmarked property that could could not be changed and would be unsaleable. They are stuck with that land forever.

I could see Cubs fans uniting to buy the place in order to just hang out during weekends drinking. It would be a community owned park.

ClaudelSleptHere
08-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Is it me, or is this one of the stupidest articles not written by Jay Mariotti?

DrCrawdad
08-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Andy "Sweatervest" McFail is one arrogant prick.

bigfoot
08-24-2004, 10:50 PM
Of course then the Cubs would be stuck with a landmarked property that could could not be changed and would be unsaleable. They are stuck with that land forever.

I could see Cubs fans uniting to buy the place in order to just hang out during weekends drinking. It would be a community owned park.
I think you're on to something here, Stick. Doesn't the 'landmark' status say that the facade of a building should not be altered? And in this case, only certain portions are 'original' anyway. If so, as long as the integrity of the outside is the same, CONDOS, baby!
A bunch of boutique shoppes, think Rodeo Drive comes to the Urinal! $10 Old Styles, reindeer dogs, sushi bars, quiche on a stick. The tenants can let their enormous dogs run loose in the outfield(barred from the weeds by electric barrier). The place has definite possibilities.

Flight #24
08-24-2004, 11:21 PM

Any thoughts?
Allow me to reiterate the Cub equation:

[Wrigleyville] * [Cubune Ownership] * [Wrigley] = Cub popularity

Set one of those to 0 and guess what happens?

Seriously - you think ANY of the frat boy crowd that pack Wrigley are heading out to the 'burbs for games, then having to come back downtown for the main event (bars)? I'd love to see it happen, and see attendance plummet.

In fact, if that happens, and Reinsy can work a deal with Daley to get a few more pubs around USCF - I bet it wouldn't take long before the Sox were the "trendy" team, despite the best efforts of the "neutral", "objective" Cubune.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-24-2004, 11:29 PM
Allow me to reiterate the Cub equation:

Couldnt have added better myself :tongue:

SOXSINCE'70
08-25-2004, 08:23 AM
What the @*%^# was this guy smoking? Do they do drug testing where he works?:cool:

I guess Deerfield, Highland Park or Lake Forest residents would love to reduce their water bills by not having to water their lawns on game day.

I would pay good money to see the faces of these upper crust snobs when drunken Flub fans flood their precious little communities on game day....let 'em go! Chicago is a big city with a very diverse tax base, it won't hurt us.
Oh no,you don't.My parents live in Deerfield.I have enough problems.Keep ther sCrUB scum away from my family.

PatK
08-25-2004, 12:55 PM
I could see them building it out in Elk Grove Village.

Remember, the Bears were scouting that location a couple years back for a new stadium, and the land is still available.

Hangar18
08-25-2004, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=Flight #24]Allow me to reiterate the Cub equation:

QUOTE]

Gentrified Neighborhood + Frat Boys who like beer + Trixies who like Frat Boys
+ Biased Newspaper telling constantly how "historic" Wrigley is = CubPopular

bigfoot
08-25-2004, 03:44 PM

Remember, the Bears were scouting that location a couple years back for a new stadium, and the land is still available.
Right at the end of O'Hare's new runways, priceless!

woodenleg
08-25-2004, 04:41 PM

That would be delicious. Then all of those trailer park jokes will be transferred to the Cubs.

Uncle_Patrick
08-25-2004, 04:55 PM
The funny thing is that some Cubs fans on Cubs message boards think that this might be a good idea. So this begs the questions:

A) Is Wrigleyville (which is trendy on its own) trendier because the Cubs are there?
B) Would the trendiness follow the Cubs to the suburbs?

I say no to both. Besides, I remember hearing how much trouble it was to get a McDonald's built in Lake Forest, because they didn't want it to look like a normal McDonald's. I can't imagine that the people on the Northshore would put up a ballpark for the Cubs if they felt there was even the slightest chance that the drunken shennanigans that happen in Wrigleyville moving to their neighborhood.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-25-2004, 06:45 PM
The Flubs in the suburbs would be the single-greatest boon to Sox popularity since the team won the 1917 world championship. City Hall would *embrace* the Sox as Chicago's only team and absolutely nothing would be spared to make the Sox the favored team in all of City Hall's decision making.

One of two things happens.

1. The Sox would get a brand-new state of the art downtown ballpark, convenient to all the office workers, commuter lines, and nightlife, or

2. The city would build whole new infrastructure for yielding the exact same results near 35th & Shields.

I'm betting downtown ballpark. It's cheaper.

row18
09-01-2004, 08:57 PM
I think the flubs do have a problem on the horizon. That dump with all the renovations in the world is only good for 8/10 years, and by then the property value in the area will be through the roof, so they will have to move becuase there will be no room to build a bigger park w/parking. (by the way where will they play during construction?)At that time will should tear what remains of the dump and build a mini Old Comiskey (for lil' leauge/softball /hs baseball state championships) w/a SOX museum and banquet hall for weddings and all that good stuff.

doublem23
09-02-2004, 01:52 AM
The Peoria Journal-Star? I don't even have to click on the link to know that article is pure crap.

Journalism has no place in that paper.

santo=dorf
09-02-2004, 02:01 AM
The Peoria Journal-Star? I don't even have to click on the link to know that article is pure crap.

Journalism has no place in that paper.
The moron who wrote it, Mike Nadel, is constantly writing Cubbie fluff bullcrap for the Hearld News in Joliet. I wouldn't wipe my ass with his columns.

Frater Perdurabo
09-02-2004, 11:50 AM
A bunch of boutique shoppes, think Rodeo Drive comes to the Urinal! $10 Old Styles, reindeer dogs, sushi bars, quiche on a stick. The tenants can let their enormous dogs run loose in the outfield(barred from the weeds by electric barrier). The place has definite possibilities.

:rolling:

"Quiche on a stick!" Priceless! :rolling:

Frater Perdurabo
09-02-2004, 11:53 AM
The Flubs in the suburbs would be the single-greatest boon to Sox popularity since the team won the 1917 world championship. City Hall would *embrace* the Sox as Chicago's only team and absolutely nothing would be spared to make the Sox the favored team in all of City Hall's decision making.

One of two things happens.

1. The Sox would get a brand-new state of the art downtown ballpark, convenient to all the office workers, commuter lines, and nightlife, or

2. The city would build whole new infrastructure for yielding the exact same results near 35th & Shields.

I'm betting downtown ballpark. It's cheaper.

I personally will donate my life savings to help the Cubs move to a brand new suburban Wrigley Field replica to make this happen.
:bandance:

I'll even buy a lifetime supply of Quiche on a Stick to make it happen!
:rolling:

bigfoot
09-02-2004, 12:27 PM
FraterP~'Quiche on a Stick' franchises are now available. Prime locations still available! Get in on this 'below- ground-floor' opportunity of several lifetimes! Be the first to take advantage of this fantanstic offer. Low investment!High Returns! All things provided to enable the wise investor to walk into this turn-key operation. All we do is 'Add the Stick'! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :tongue: :gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
09-02-2004, 02:29 PM
FraterP~'Quiche on a Stick' franchises are now available. Prime locations still available! Get in on this 'below- ground-floor' opportunity of several lifetimes! Be the first to take advantage of this fantanstic offer. Low investment!High Returns! All things provided to enable the wise investor to walk into this turn-key operation. All we do is 'Add the Stick'! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :tongue: :gulp:

And I'm sure anyone who has worked in the restaurant industry (Voodoo?) could tell us that all you need to make a good quiche is some cheese, eggs, flour, milk, and whatever you sweep up off the floor from the night before (secret spices anyone?). :o: