PDA

View Full Version : The Contreras trade that didn't happen...

Aidan
08-24-2004, 01:14 PM
The August 23rd issue of Sporting News Magazine says that KW was originally going to send Jeremy Reed to the Yankees for Jose Contreras. New York nixed the trade when both Mike Mussina and Kevin Brown were injured in the same week. The Yankees must be kicking themselves right now.

JB98
08-24-2004, 01:31 PM
The August 23rd issue of Sporting News Magazine says that KW was originally going to send Jeremy Reed to the Yankees for Jose Contreras. New York nixed the trade when both Mike Mussina and Kevin Brown were injured in the same week. The Yankees must be kicking themselves right now.
No doubt. E-Lo is a non-entity, so they pretty much gave us Contreras for nothing. When you come right down to it, we subtracted two young position players (Reed, Olivo) for two established starting pitchers. Although Reed and Olivo will both have nice big-league careers IMO, it's a good thing that KW moved to strengthen our pitching staff. He needs to continue down that path this offseason.

mdep524
08-24-2004, 01:42 PM
No doubt. E-Lo is a non-entity, so they pretty much gave us Contreras for nothing. When you come right down to it, we subtracted two young position players (Reed, Olivo) for two established starting pitchers. Although Reed and Olivo will both have nice big-league careers IMO, it's a good thing that KW moved to strengthen our pitching staff. He needs to continue down that path this offseason.
I don't know that I would call Contreras an "established" starting pitcher just yet. Still, its not as if we lost anything in that trade.

The more I see of Contreras though, the more I wonder if he has the make up to be a big time starter. The way he constantly uses that forkball... smart hitters will definitely figure him out unless he learns to adjust.

If starting doesn't quite work out for him, I think he might have potential to be a pretty good closer. If...IF... we could acquire 2 good starting pitchers this off season (big if, I know), I would like to see Conteras get a shot at the closer spot. If he is successful there, imagine how that would solidify our 'pen with Shingo as the set up man.

JB98
08-24-2004, 02:45 PM
I don't know that I would call Contreras an "established" starting pitcher just yet. Still, its not as if we lost anything in that trade.
He's 11-6. We can only wish Jon Garland would have a record like that.

Hangar18
08-24-2004, 03:10 PM
So in other words, Kenny got LUCKY. Man im not liking him too much these days. That Reed for Contreras wouldve been on par with Hee Flop Choi
for Derrek Lee. Or Alex Gonzalez for Nomar.