PDA

View Full Version : Joe B's future career?

gosox41
08-24-2004, 02:06 PM
I actually have free time today and was looking through the threads and it got me thinking (which is probably not a good thing:D: )

Anyway before we go a bit futher, this post is made more in jest and probably will fall under the useless information area. That being said, if you feel the need to whine, cry, worship KW, name call, or insult me stop reading now.

It's not worth getting your blood pressure up, but if it does rattle your cage then fine with me.

Also, as another caveat, I have certainly not lost faith in Borchard. I am well aware what a small sample size is and want to give him a chance. But consider me like Joe B's career counselor in case this baseball thing doesn't work ou

Joe B's career stats:

AB R H 2b 3b HR RBI BB SO OBP OPS
164 16 30 1 0 5 12 14 58 .241 .482

Career BA .183

Player B's stats in season which he played the most:

183 20 39 6 0 3 15 11 54 .273 .551

BA .213

Now Player B had a grand total of 301 AB's. He had 18 in a combined 2 seasons before this one year and 100 after. When Joe has a comparable number of at bats, I will compare the two then and pray that Joe B. puts Player B's numbers to shame. Afterall, player B hit .219 for his career and had 3 career HR's with 29 RBI's.

Turns out Player B was a highly regarded athlete who played multiple sports in school. Scouts raved about him and his 5 tools. He was a first round pick. Granted he didn't have the hype of Joe Borchard because this was over 20 years ago. But he was (and may still be) a gifted athlete. Things for whatever reason just never clicked for Player B.

It turns out Player B is none other then Billy Beane. Yes, that Billy Beane.

So if things don't work out for Joe (and I hope they do) maybe he can put that Stanford education to good use:

:LTP

Watch out Kenny. I'm after your job.

Bob

mrzerofan
08-24-2004, 02:10 PM
:d:

IlliniSoxFan
08-24-2004, 02:15 PM
I'm hoping that maybe Borchard is just stuck in Aaron Rowand/Ben Davis land, with not enough consistent P.T. or confidence in his own abilities (naturally referring to BD, not AR, here) to make a lot of progress in the areas we fans associate with success. I haven't really read or heard much from Greg Walker regarding JB, but my thought is that I'd like to see him every day for the rest of the season and then reevaluate at that time. He just doesn't seem really disciplined up at the plate, so hopefully he can turn that around and be a valuable addition to the club.

I like the Beane idea, though - that's hilarious!! :D:

gosox41
08-24-2004, 03:31 PM
I'm hoping that maybe Borchard is just stuck in Aaron Rowand/Ben Davis land, with not enough consistent P.T. or confidence in his own abilities (naturally referring to BD, not AR, here) to make a lot of progress in the areas we fans associate with success. I haven't really read or heard much from Greg Walker regarding JB, but my thought is that I'd like to see him every day for the rest of the season and then reevaluate at that time. He just doesn't seem really disciplined up at the plate, so hopefully he can turn that around and be a valuable addition to the club.

I like the Beane idea, though - that's hilarious!! :D:
I hope you're right. I'm hoping Borchard can be a servicable everyday player let alone the superstar a lot predict.

Bob

Baby Fisk
08-24-2004, 03:39 PM
The Tigers commentators last night quoted Greg Walker as saying he believes Borchard can become a solid 30-HR hitter. They didn't say if he meant career or per-season. :cool:

OurBitchinMinny
08-24-2004, 03:40 PM
The Tigers commentators last night quoted Greg Walker as saying he believes Borchard can become a solid 30-HR hitter. They didn't say if he meant career or per-season. :cool:
Give him a full season in charlotte and he might get 30 down there. Of course he will hit .250 to go along with that. If he ever hits more than 15 and hits over .260 in the majors you can bring this post back up and i will eat crow.

Tekijawa
08-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Well at least he'll have a career in something, as his Career in Traid Bait appears to be over!

Iguana775
08-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Well at least he'll have a career in something, as his Career in Traid Bait appears to be over!
Hell, maybe he can work in the Sox front office to help pay back the bonus money he is not earning.

Whitesox029
08-25-2004, 12:15 AM
I've also been thinking about Borchard's future. As a Chicago Bear.

petekat
08-25-2004, 12:18 AM
dont kid yourself- i think Joe is an odds favorite to be a 30 HR man-by the time he's 30 and pinch hitting for the Royals

SoxPAguy
08-25-2004, 12:55 AM
I actually have free time today and was looking through the threads and it got me thinking (which is probably not a good thing:D: )

Anyway before we go a bit futher, this post is made more in jest and probably will fall under the useless information area. That being said, if you feel the need to whine, cry, worship KW, name call, or insult me stop reading now.

It's not worth getting your blood pressure up, but if it does rattle your cage then fine with me.

Also, as another caveat, I have certainly not lost faith in Borchard. I am well aware what a small sample size is and want to give him a chance. But consider me like Joe B's career counselor in case this baseball thing doesn't work ou

Joe B's career stats:

Career BA .183

BA .213

Now Player B had a grand total of 301 AB's. He had 18 in a combined 2 seasons before this one year and 100 after. When Joe has a comparable number of at bats, I will compare the two then and pray that Joe B. puts Player B's numbers to shame. Afterall, player B hit .219 for his career and had 3 career HR's with 29 RBI's.

Turns out Player B was a highly regarded athlete who played multiple sports in school. Scouts raved about him and his 5 tools. He was a first round pick. Granted he didn't have the hype of Joe Borchard because this was over 20 years ago. But he was (and may still be) a gifted athlete. Things for whatever reason just never clicked for Player B.

So if things don't work out for Joe (and I hope they do) maybe he can put that Stanford education to good use:

Bob

Defensive replacement and becnh player for the next 3 years. A la aaron rowand.

bartmanisgod
08-25-2004, 01:40 AM

Joe B's career stats:

Career BA .183

BA .213

Bob

You should at least credit Moneyball if you are going to take the time to copy down the first three chapters of the book.

npdempse
08-25-2004, 01:46 AM
I've also been thinking about Borchard's future. As a Chicago Bear.
You beat me to it. If JB keeps pressing like this for another season, it's even money that he heads to the NFL.

jordan23ventura
08-25-2004, 04:06 AM
You beat me to it. If JB keeps pressing like this for another season, it's even money that he heads to the NFL.
He's made his money and is only getting older. He's already committed himself to baseball so if he fails for another 2 years or more, he's not going anywhere but home.

Etownsox13
08-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Joe B's Future Career