PDA

View Full Version : next years Soxfest

mike squires
08-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Wow, can you imagine the crowd and what next years Soxfest wil be like? This year got a little hairy. I would not want to be in Kenny Williams shoes.
That's Ok, Hawk will be sitting right next to him...
:hawk

"This team has a chance to be VERY GOOD next year..."

Iwritecode
08-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Wow, can you imagine the crowd and what next years Soxfest wil be like? This year got a little hairy. I would not want to be in Kenny Williams shoes.

It all depends on what happens in the off-season. That's pretty much what everyone was upset about last year...

Rocky Soprano
08-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Mr. Williams when will you come to terms that Joe Borchard is spelled B U S T?

CWWTWS1
08-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Kenny,

How many more prospects do the Sox have left to re-re-acquire Carl Everett at the trade deadline?

Baby Fisk
08-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Mr. Williams:

When you say you want to win badly, do you mean "Verrrry badly" or "Reallllly badly"? Which of those two options means you will go out and get a starting pitcher, bullpen arms, SS, 3B, RF and C and stop jerking all our chains about how badly you want to win?

Brian26
08-24-2004, 01:00 PM
It's not Kenny's fault that Mags and Frank went down two weeks before the trading deadline. Take the #3 and #4 hitters out of any lineup in baseball and see where the that team would go. Where would the Cards be without Pujols and Edmonds or Pujols and Rolen? Or the Red Sox without Ortiz and Ramirez?

I find no fault with the job Kenny has done this year. Everett was going to be a nice bat off the bench and a temporary stopgap until we got both Frank and Mags back healthy again.

ma_deuce
08-24-2004, 01:04 PM
Wow, can you imagine the crowd and what next years Soxfest wil be like? This year got a little hairy. I would not want to be in Kenny Williams shoes.:KW
"I'm not worried. If anyone says anything off the mark next year, I am going to sic Carl Everett on them."

:everett:
"Yeah, you leave them punks to old, Crazy Carl. We'll see how well they heckle after I insert my size 12 in their mouth!"

Iwritecode
08-24-2004, 01:04 PM
It's not Kenny's fault that Mags and Frank went down two weeks before the trading deadline. Take the #3 and #4 hitters out of any lineup in baseball and see where the that team would go. Where would the Cards be without Pujols and Edmonds or Pujols and Rolen? Or the Red Sox without Ortiz and Ramirez?

I find no fault with the job Kenny has done this year. Everett was going to be a nice bat off the bench and a temporary stopgap until we got both Frank and Mags back healthy again.

Exactly. This year is a total loss. KW will prove his worth with what he does this off-season...

OurBitchinMinny
08-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Mr. Williams:

When you say you want to win badly, do you mean "Verrrry badly" or "Reallllly badly"? Which of those two options means you will go out and get a starting pitcher, bullpen arms, SS, 3B, RF and C and stop jerking all our chains about how badly you want to win?
He cant do that because of the ahole owner. The sox should have more than a 60 million dollar payroll. Even if they just spent 80 (still way less than the yanks, bosox and cubs) they should dominate this division. The worst move williams has made is hiring guillen

wdelaney72
08-24-2004, 01:35 PM
He cant do that because of the ahole owner. The sox should have more than a 60 million dollar payroll. Even if they just spent 80 (still way less than the yanks, bosox and cubs) they should dominate this division. The worst move williams has made is hiring guillen
I agree Guillen wasn't the most qualified person to be manager. But who should KW have hired?

It's not like Tony LaRussa was available.

steff
08-24-2004, 01:45 PM

I'm gettin' my finger warmed up already.... :wink:

steff
08-24-2004, 01:47 PM

:rolleyes:

duke of dorwood
08-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Its clear now that Guillen was a side show act to distract from the team-we got Garcia and Contreras in mid season-only because ownership was surprised when we wre contending in mid season. I really believe they expected to be behind Minn & KC.

When your major offseason pick up is Juan Uribe, what else can you expect.

IlliniSoxFan
08-24-2004, 01:51 PM
:rolleyes:
Agreed.

steff
08-24-2004, 01:52 PM
Its clear now that Guillen was a side show act to distract from the team-we got Garcia and Contreras in mid season-only because ownership was surprised when we wre contending in mid season. I really believe they expected to be behind Minn & KC.

When your major offseason pick up is Juan Uribe, what else can you expect.
Guillen was what was left after they screwed everyone else.

mike squires
08-24-2004, 01:53 PM
I want to point out that this was not intended to be a Kenny Williams bashing thread. I'm just saying there will be a lot of unhappy people at the Hyatt next year. Kenny will get the blame no doubt despite big sticks getting hurt and the team not getting the job done. I like Kenny and the moves he's made with exception of Everett and Alomar.

Iwritecode
08-24-2004, 01:59 PM
I'm gettin' my finger warmed up already.... :wink:

I'll be in line right behind you. :cool:

pudge
08-24-2004, 02:10 PM
This team was 10 games over .500 when nobody expected them to be. Williams went out and got two horses for the stretch run. But with Crede pulling a Konerko of '03, and Maggs and Frank getting hurt, what can you expect? I just don't think you can bash Williams (yet again) at Sox Fest. I think he was unfairly bashed this year, and will likely get unfairly bashed next year.

Baby Fisk
08-24-2004, 02:23 PM
:rolleyes:My honour has been defended! Thx. :cheers:

LauraJ14
08-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Well I don't trust him , he always seem to be reacting instead of having a plan.
We have not signed any significant free agents since he has been the GM and I don't see how he can do it this year without trading Lee, Konerko and Frank away. His farm system has not produced the players it needs to so that you can work with the budget he is given. Soxfest should be interesting!

HITMEN OF 77
08-24-2004, 05:12 PM
I think everyone was expecting big things this year from the Sox and we were living up to those expectations early in the season. When Maggs and Frank went down, we hung in there for as long as we could. This team with whom we have healthy today, doesn't have the tools to compete with the top teams. I think if we were to finish second and at or a few games above .500, this season was a success. If your blame KW for this year, then don't even show up at Soxfest and run your mouth. He can't keep guys from getting injured and he made a big effort with what funds were given to him to make this team a winner by getting Garcia and Contreras.

DumpJerry
08-24-2004, 05:22 PM
I recall an article that appeared on this site last Spring (I think Hal wrote it)which talked about how sports agents in general hate, HATE JR (big surprise there). He talked about how the Bulls got shafted by major free agents when St. Michael left and how they just don't trust the guy (negotiates behind their backs just like KW allegedly tried to do last August with Robbie Alomar).

Given this reality, can KW sign FA's as long as JR is signing the contracts and checks? Not very promising.

I say, once again, the Sox adopt the Green Packers' model of ownership, the people of Green Bay own them. I'm not saying that the Cheeseheads up north acquire our saintly team, but the Sox should become a team owned by Chicago residents who are willing to make the investment and then elect a management team to run the team. I think this will work because the management team will operate under the Fear Principal...screw up and we know where you live.:angry:

Until there are some fundamental changes at the very top, we can fantasize all we want about who KW needs to sign next year, how big the payroll should be, etc., but the reality of our prognostications (and KW's stated goals) will be out of reach and we will be a mediocre team yet again in 2005, 2006, 2007.......:(:

dickallen15
08-24-2004, 05:37 PM
They'll start off by talking about the disappointment of this season. Saying that if Frank and Magglio were around the team would have contended for the World Series.KW will forget that he had Magglio traded off, and was hoping against hope Thomas would become a free agent so he could bring in Everett. They will talk about KW's aggressiveness and how he brought Garcia and Contreras here, all the time forgetting how the team tank with them in the rotation. They'll praise the re birth of Konerko, if he hasn't been traded, and talk about how he is only going to get better. We'll hear how the struggles of Borchard and Crede will be the best thing that ever happened to them. Hawk will mention the old "you have to be bad before you are good line". We'll hear that Harris and Garland made small strides, and should blossom like Rowand did. We will hear how Ozzie's managing will only get better with experience,(hopefully this is true, because mostlittle league games are run better) And we will hear the old standby that the Sox are looking forward to sneaking up on some teams in 2005. All in all, about the same lines we hear every year at Soxfest. Its Groundhog Day all over again.