PDA

View Full Version : BRING INSTANT REPLAY THE @#$% TO BASEBALL NOW

Viva Magglio
10-03-2001, 08:44 PM
Yet again, we get screwed by a blown call! That ball of the bat of Mágglio was fair!!!

That's it! I have @#$%ing had it with these graduates of the Stevie Wonder school of umpiring! I say bring instant replay to baseball. The score would now be 2-2 if we had instant replay to reverse that bad call.

I don't know how to penalize teams that unsuccessfully challenge calls, and I am not sure what should be and what should not be reviewable. But if instant replay is what it takes to reverse all these moronic calls by these goddamn umpires, then I'm all for it.

Daver
10-03-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Yet again, we get screwed by a blown call! That ball of the bat of Mágglio was fair!!!

That's it! I have @#$%ing had it with these graduates of the Stevie Wonder school of umpiring! I say bring instant replay to baseball. The score would now be 2-2 if we had instant replay to reverse that bad call.

I don't know how to penalize teams that unsuccessfully challenge calls, and I am not sure what should be and what should not be reviewable. But if instant replay is what it takes to reverse all these moronic calls by these goddamn umpires, then I'm all for it.

Have you ever umped a game at any level?
I umped little league for 2 seasons and I think these guys do a decent job.

Tragg
10-03-2001, 09:15 PM
Actually baseball is the one sport in which instant replay could easily and quickly correct poor calls (at least on the bases - and actually, I think you could call balls and strikes with cameras better than behind the plate). But it will also never get it - umps are part of the game - if you don't believe me, just ask them.

The refs hosed the saints in n.y. last sunday as well - must be a n.y. thing.

Viva Magglio
10-03-2001, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by daver

Have you ever umped a game at any level?
I umped little league for 2 seasons and I think these guys do a decent job.

So you're making excuses for the umps, then?

Daver
10-03-2001, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

So you're making excuses for the umps, then?

No,I am asking you to put in perspective,could you honestly say that you could do a better job?

But then again what the hell do I know?

chisoxt
10-03-2001, 09:48 PM
One the pitfalls of being an also ran team is that you typically end up on the short-end of the stick on marginal calls. especially in New York.

Randar68
10-03-2001, 11:29 PM

Well, one of baseball's quirky characteristics is that a majority of it's rules are judgement calls by the official. While certain rules are hard and firm. Ground Rules for any stadium, fair, foul, in-play, are hard rules, and can be easily and quickly ruled on as every game has something between 5-15 camera's following the action. A majority of the time, these crucial calls impact instant runs via HR calls, and fair/foul doubles. I am personally not for instant replay in baseball, but the arguement in a confined and constrained set of reviewable calls is very valid...IMO

Soxboyrob
10-04-2001, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Well, one of baseball's quirky characteristics is that a majority of it's rules are judgement calls by the official. While certain rules are hard and firm. Ground Rules for any stadium, fair, foul, in-play, are hard rules, and can be easily and quickly ruled on as every game has something between 5-15 camera's following the action. A majority of the time, these crucial calls impact instant runs via HR calls, and fair/foul doubles. I am personally not for instant replay in baseball, but the arguement in a confined and constrained set of reviewable calls is very valid...IMO

It is about time MLB at least explored this possibility. Yeah, the human element is what makes the game so pure blah blah blah. Human element is fine. But Randar makes an excellent point in that some of them clearly and capably could be reviewed. Let's face it, to try to review things like balls and strikes and bang-bang tag plays would be mayhem, not to mention that they are subjective. However, there are a certain number of clear cut situations, such as the Maggs foul ball last night, questionable fan interference/home run balls or even a simple force play. What would be so wrong w/ exploring the possibility of actually getting a call "right?"

I feel that it's only a matter of time until technology finds its comfort zone within the game and works its way into a baseball instant replay review system. Eventually, I wonder if machines or computer/laser/pitch-readers will make all of the ball and strike calls too. The technology is out there and there will eventually be a stronger push for consistency. Personally, I'd settle for a current system that looks at plays that can be objectively reviewed on a replay monitor.