PDA

View Full Version : autographs at grandstand?

mike squires
08-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Did anyone attend the autograph signing at the Grandstand on Saturday afternoon? Any conversation with the players and what was their mood? Just curious.

juggalomike
08-23-2004, 05:37 PM
I went. None of them seemed in a good mood.

TornLabrum
08-24-2004, 02:49 AM
I went. None of them seemed in a good mood.
Gee, I wonder why....

juanuribe
08-24-2004, 08:53 PM
The signing was a load of BS. No photos, no inscriptions, not even 3 seconds of face time with the players, I felt like cattle being pushed thru to the head of the kill line. Sure the fellas weren't happy, but the whole thing was unfriendly due to those who were in charge. Just another in a long tradition of bad Grandstand experiences.

Overpriced souvenirs + bad service + rude employees, must be a formula for success. I don't know how they stay in business.

mike squires
08-24-2004, 09:44 PM
That is too bad. How much was the event? I'm thinking it was $100 last year. For that kind of money you'd think they would treat you with some respect. Are you sure it was grandstand employees or was it those media chicks that are at the Soxfest? You would also think they would be more accomodating to help build on the success of the event for the upcomming years. Maybe you should write a letter to Mr. Boyer???

HomeFish
08-24-2004, 09:55 PM
My experience with Grandstand employees has always been one of rudeness, so I would assume the problem was on their end.

South Side
08-24-2004, 10:22 PM
I'll vouch for that, friendly service is not one of their strong points.

LongLiveFisk
08-24-2004, 10:42 PM

Unfortunately I have to agree. There is one lady that works in there that is really nice but the others...well, I'd rather not say! :mad:

Brian26
08-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Hmm. Interesting comments. Most of the people there have always been cool to me. I have a feeling, though, that it depends on what time you go into the store. I usually go in early on Saturday mornings and Rosemary and the younger people that work there are usually really friendly and talkative. I must admit I've gone in there a couple of times after a game and the place becomes Stateville. They've got two guys guarding the door, and people positioned everywhere in case someone tries to steal something. I understand what they have to deal with in those cases, though.

mike squires
08-24-2004, 11:14 PM
One thing about Grandstand that cracks me up...They've had those 89 Score baseball cards towards the front of the store since they came out in 89...I think it's time to put them on clealrence or give them away.

gosox41
08-25-2004, 12:39 AM

Nor are they reliable. I've been looking for that autographed Frank Thomas picture where it says something like 'The 2 Biggest Guns in Baseball', gave them my name at SoxFest 2 years ago. They said I'd be on the list.

Never got a call. Called the store a c ouple of times to see if they had it. Finally went in and had a conversation and found out there was no list.

Thans for taking down my name and number, I'll be sure to be a long time customer of this store with all that great customer service and personal attention I've gotten.

If anyone knows where to get that picture though, I'd appreciate the info.

Bob

whitesoxwilkes
08-25-2004, 09:34 AM
I'm sorry, but I think Grandstand is vastly overrated. Prices are high, service is never with a smile and the selection isn't any different than what you can find online for a hell of a lot cheaper. In fact, I'll confess...I actually ended up buying my 1959 Sox hat at a place near the Urinal because Grandstand didn't have my size, and were downright surly when I asked if they'd be getting any more in. (This was in March, and the place was deserted)

HomeFish
08-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Nor are they reliable. I've been looking for that autographed Frank Thomas picture where it says something like 'The 2 Biggest Guns in Baseball', gave them my name at SoxFest 2 years ago. They said I'd be on the list.

Never got a call. Called the store a c ouple of times to see if they had it. Finally went in and had a conversation and found out there was no list.

Yeah; I got my Herbert Perry jersey done there (say what you will about them -- they did a great job on it) and they also never called me. When I went to the store to pick it up, they told me I couldn't come pick it up until I got a phone call, so I had to make up some story about missing a call before he went out back and picked it up off the top of a pile.

SomebodyToldMe
08-25-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry, but I think Grandstand is vastly overrated. Prices are high, service is never with a smile and the selection isn't any different than what you can find online for a hell of a lot cheaper. In fact, I'll confess...I actually ended up buying my 1959 Sox hat at a place near the Urinal because Grandstand didn't have my size, and were downright surly when I asked if they'd be getting any more in. (This was in March, and the place was deserted)
I got my 59 hat and 68 one (BLUE!) from Marshalls for 12 bucks each.

HomeFish
08-25-2004, 02:19 PM

I'm willing to tolerate Grandstand for the convenience of it being right next to the ballpark; I can go in there and buy something on the spur on the moment and wear it to the game immediately, whereas with online purchases I have to wait for shipping and such.

The Critic
08-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Add me to the list of unsatisfied customers.
My experience with the workers there has always been less than fun - they are curt at best with replies to questions, like you're bothering them to get a price on something BEHIND the counter.
And the time I went in with my cousin, who's a Cub fan, they were so rude to us it seemed like they'd have preferred we just leave. Never mind that my cousin was throwing down 145 bucks on a Konerko jersey for his girlfriend...

I hope the owner of that place sees this somehow - I'd like to shop there, since they're a South Side store, but I won't patronize a business that treats me like a nuisance.

TornLabrum
08-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Add me to the list of unsatisfied customers.
My experience with the workers there has always been less than fun - they are curt at best with replies to questions, like you're bothering them to get a price on something BEHIND the counter.
And the time I went in with my cousin, who's a Cub fan, they were so rude to us it seemed like they'd have preferred we just leave. Never mind that my cousin was throwing down 145 bucks on a Konerko jersey for his girlfriend...

I hope the owner of that place sees this somehow - I'd like to shop there, since they're a South Side store, but I won't patronize a business that treats me like a nuisance.
The owner is Pete Powers. I've never had any problem with Grandstand, so I can't comment. I know Pete and Rose, though, and they're good people. Pete helped us form the Windy City Sox Fans, putting up some of our front money to help us get started, and we get a lot of our merchandise that we have autographed from Grandstand. He also gives our members a 10% discount on most items in the store.

I'm sorry to hear from those of you who've had less than pleasant experiences there.

steff
08-25-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm with Hal. I've bought a LOT of stuff there over the years... more than I should have, :wink: , but I have never had an issue there. Now, they know me, but even back when I first started shopping there they were always nice to me.

bluestar
08-25-2004, 05:34 PM
I've only been there once, but I have called them several times. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. The time I went there, I wouldn't say they were overly friendly, but I liked the fact that we were allowed to just browse for a long time without being bothered.

Blob
08-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately I have to agree. There is one lady that works in there that is really nice but the others...well, I'd rather not say! :mad:
That's probably Rose. She is the only one I deal with there as well.

TornLabrum
08-25-2004, 08:42 PM
I forgot to mention one other great thing Grandstand did for the WCSF. During SoxFest, if you bought one of those autographed Bill Melton bobbleheads, a portion of that went to the Windy City Sox Fans and will be part of our donation to Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities next January.

skobabe8
08-25-2004, 09:17 PM
I bought a jersey at the garage sale in june and wanted to add a comiskey park patch on the sleeve. so i go in grandstands, tell them what i want, pick out the patch, and purchase it. whoever was working asked me if i wanted them to sew it on for me. i tell them "no thanks, I'll have my grandma do it."
little did i know, the backing on the patch cannot be taken off without special chemicals, therefore only stores authorized by the MLB are capable of sewing it on. instead of mentioning this to me, they let me walk out and take it all the way back home. after trying to figure out how to do it, i called them back and they explained to me that they would have to do it. thanks alot!
But i still go back there alot.

jake27
08-26-2004, 02:04 AM
i have gotten really bad service at grandstand. they bother me a lot, like 2 or 3 times asking if i need help. i understand its their job but yeah. and they are rude to me until i go up to the register and buy soomething. i dont know, mabye im just in there at the wrong times. and the prices are realyl expensive, but they do have a great selection. i still go there after games though. but they could work on customer service a little...

BainesHOF
08-26-2004, 03:11 AM
Hmmm. I'm really surprised by the negativity toward Grandstand as my experiences have been only good ones. And they have a great selection of Sox stuff.

Remember, that signing was for charity so that in itself was good. Also, the line moved fairly quickly, which I appreciated since I was toward the back. The players were fine. Ozzie and Buehrle had no problems signing the way I asked them to, and Konerko even beat me to the punch and asked where I would like the helmet signed that I presented him. The only negative was Shingo, who used a Sharpie that barely wrote, turning a great $7 photo garbage.

Unfortunately, I did overhear Lee after the signing criticize Ozzie, who had left with the other players, for resting him that day. It's one thing to think that. It's another to say it in front of other people, especially when the manager just made a charity appearance...a manager, by the way, who has supported Lee when he has failed to run out balls this season.

TornLabrum
08-26-2004, 08:16 AM
i have gotten really bad service at grandstand. they bother me a lot, like 2 or 3 times asking if i need help. i understand its their job but yeah. and they are rude to me until i go up to the register and buy soomething. i dont know, mabye im just in there at the wrong times. and the prices are realyl expensive, but they do have a great selection. i still go there after games though. but they could work on customer service a little...
In what way are they rude other than asking you if you need help (something that used to be expected when you went into a store)?

Hell, I can remember my dad saying, "This would be a great place to open up a store," when no one appeared to ask if he needed help within a couple of minutes. And they asked you three times? At one time that would have been considered exceptional service! Times change, I guess.

santo=dorf
08-26-2004, 04:10 PM
I bought a jersey at the garage sale in june and wanted to add a comiskey park patch on the sleeve. so i go in grandstands, tell them what i want, pick out the patch, and purchase it. whoever was working asked me if i wanted them to sew it on for me. i tell them "no thanks, I'll have my grandma do it."
little did i know, the backing on the patch cannot be taken off without special chemicals, therefore only stores authorized by the MLB are capable of sewing it on. instead of mentioning this to me, they let me walk out and take it all the way back home. after trying to figure out how to do it, i called them back and they explained to me that they would have to do it. thanks alot!
But i still go back there alot.They offered to do the same with a patch I bought for my personalized All-Star game jersey. The first time I had my mom sew on a couple of patches for my alternate replica jersey (all-star game, sock in the diamond.) I used a single razor blade to seperate the plastic cover from the patch.

santo=dorf
08-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Is Pete the large, older gentleman? I went there last Saturday to buy an official knit Sox stocking cap, and I asked him about the M&N jerseys. He was very kind and asked me if I wanted to try on a Dick Allen jersey that costed $375.00. I told him I was just interested in what they have in stock, but thanked him anyways. While I was walking around looking at more stuff, he engaged a conversation with my Dad for about 10 minutes. I'll admit that there stuff is pricey, but they are very knid.

jake27
08-26-2004, 10:18 PM
if i want to see something behind the counter, they seem really bothered by it. they let me wait there for te longest time too. and sometimes, they will follow you around the store. and if i have looked at 4-5 hats behind the counter, they wont let me look at any more. i intend to buy a hat but if they wont let me look at the one si may want to get, forget it. i usually then order the hat i want online. thats how they r rude to me. what ever happened to service with a smile? insted they serve with a "i dont care about my job i want you to leave"