PDA

View Full Version : Sox Retrospect 2004: Did the "Come-First-We-Get-Good-Players-Later" Theory Work?

Hangar18
08-23-2004, 12:36 PM
I tend to think NOT. What killed us ........
1. Bullpen
2. No proven #1 Starter
3. No #5 starter
4. No Leadoff/Top Of Order Hitters (not til Rowand finally came around midse)
5. No Bench

Werent these all Questions they shoudlve answered BEFORE the season started?
Was the Money we saved Worth it?

Brian26
08-23-2004, 12:45 PM
1. Bullpen
2. No proven #1 Starter
3. No #5 starter
5. No Bench

I think if Mags and Frank were still healthy, we'd be in first place.

1. Shingo was picked up as insurance in the offseason and has done the job.
2. Buehrle and Garcia are #1 starters on most teams.
3. I agree - the #5 spot has killed us.
4. Rowand, Willie, and Uribe have all been hot at different times at the top of the order.
5. I think our bench is solid w/ Timo, Gload and Sandy - and sometimes Valentin.

I think the team that was assembled was good enough to go deep into the playoffs. The injuries to Frank and Mags have killed us. How many games recently have we lost when we just needed one big hit? A lot.

kittle42
08-23-2004, 12:56 PM
We did get good players later...Alomar and Everett.

JB98
08-23-2004, 01:01 PM
1. Bullpen
2. No proven #1 Starter
3. No #5 starter
5. No Bench

1. Our bullpen stinks. Other than Marte, every pitcher down there was a gamble. Shingo is the only gamble that paid off. They should have resigned Flash, or at least Sullivan.

2. Garcia is a #1 on a lot of teams, but there isn't much question we need another top-of-the-rotation guy to become legit contenders.

3. We have a #5 starter. His name is Jon Garland. Unfortunately, he's been asked to be a #3 or #4 on this team. Ridiculous.

4. You couldn't be more right. We have no tablesetters. That's the reason our offense has failed. Amazingly, many Sox fans are blaming our woes on productive power hitters like Paul Konerko.

5. Gload, other than last night, has been good off the bench. I like Burke as a back-up catcher, and I have no problem with Uribe as a utility infielder. Perez is a good fourth OF, who has been forced to start too often. I don't really have a problem with this bench.

Hangar18
08-23-2004, 01:01 PM
I feel like the White Sox/Reinsdorf Duped me. I showed up early and
fairly often, and all I got was Garcia/Contreras/Alomar/Everett to show for it?
Sorry, theyre gonna have to TRY HARDER next season if they want me
as a Season Ticket Holder again :angry: :angry:

Hangar18
08-23-2004, 01:10 PM
I think the team that was assembled was good enough to go deep into the playoffs. The injuries to Frank and Mags have killed us. How many games recently have we lost when we just needed one big hit? A lot.
I think the Team That was assmbled was good enough ...... IF EVERYONE
Had Career years AND if Noone got Hurt. You can see what happened
this year. Also, HOW MANY GAMES HAVE WE LOST, WHERE THE BULLPEN gave up a bunch of Runs Late ........Where we almost cameback?
A Lot I will say. I do agree with you in principal.

maurice
08-23-2004, 01:11 PM
I'll reserve comment on offseason needs, but I suspect it'll be the same thing I asked the Sox to add last offseason:

1. At least one more good SP
2. At least one more good RP
3. A big upgrade at at least one IF position, preferably a SS who can lead off
4. A replacement for Sandy Alomar

JB98
08-23-2004, 01:19 PM
I understand your frustration with Alomar and Everett, but how can you be upset with Garcia and Contreras? Those are two good acquisitions. The thing that pisses me off is the bullpen being assembled on the cheap. Shingo came through, and that's great. But did anyone expect much out of Politte, Jackson and Adkins? If our sluggers stayed healthy, we'd still be in the race. But ultimately, I'm quite certain this shoddy relief pitching would have cost us a playoff spot anyway.

CubKilla
08-23-2004, 02:08 PM
I think the Team That was assmbled was good enough ...... IF EVERYONE
Had Career years AND if Noone got Hurt. You can see what happened
this year. Also, HOW MANY GAMES HAVE WE LOST, WHERE THE BULLPEN gave up a bunch of Runs Late ........Where we almost cameback?
A Lot I will say. I do agree with you in principal.
Exactly. This team was good enough to win the AL Central. Going deep in the playoffs would have been sheer reliance on luck.

SoxPAguy
08-23-2004, 02:20 PM
1. Bullpen
2. No proven #1 Starter
3. No #5 starter
5. No Bench

To answer your question managment is probably saying yes. Managment saved a lot of money by not filling in our holes and letting our guys go. So what happened we became a 1st place team all the way until Late July drawing large crowds sellouts and a renewed interest in white sox baseball. We still might draw 2 mil fans this year for a team that fell apart and will be lucky to finish 500. So yeah managment is sure saying the money they saved is worth it. This might be good news for both becuase it could result in larger profit margins allwoing this offseaons to be one of spending and adding instead of what happened prior to this year.

gosox41
08-23-2004, 03:11 PM
1. Bullpen
2. No proven #1 Starter
3. No #5 starter
5. No Bench

NExt season KW should have someroom to play with and fill some of these holes. Remember, every team has holes somewhere so not everything is going to be filled.

Also, I do have to disagree with number 5. Gload, Burke, Perez, and Uribe wouldn't be a bad bench. They're definitley not starters though.

Bob

thepaulbowski
08-23-2004, 03:45 PM
NExt season KW should have someroom to play with and fill some of these holes. Remember, every team has holes somewhere so not everything is going to be filled.

Also, I do have to disagree with number 5. Gload, Burke, Perez, and Uribe wouldn't be a bad bench. They're definitley not starters though.

Bob
They showed the stat last night on ESPN and Gload was hitting over .300 as a pinch hitter. That's pretty darn good, too bad he wasn't on the team the year before instead of Daubach.

Flight #24
08-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Not many teams got "more" than that, or could even hope to. Not to mention that deals were set up for Delgado & Walker (more indication of a willingness to spend, but the players refused.

Had we had Frank & Maggs, you wouldn't have Alomar & Everett, you'd probably have more pitching.

As for the career year comment - add in Maggs & Frank at their "standard" years to this team and you're a lot closer to 8 games up than you are to 8 games back of first place. It doens't take career years, but it does take not losing your 2 best players.