PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Larry Bowa Watch

RKMeibalane
08-23-2004, 12:26 PM
As of this moment, Larry Bowa remains the manager of the Philadelphia Phillies. His job appears to have been temporarily saved by the Phils' sweep of the Milwaukee Brewers during the weekend. However, another backslide by this underachieving ballclub could mean the end of Bowa's tenure in the City of Brotherly Love.

Why does this interest me? Because it is likley that a familiar face could be named as Bowa's replacement.

:jerry

"Remember me?"

fledgedrallycap
08-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Many are saying that Bowa isn't really at fault on this season. The team was probably over-rated in the national media largely because of a desire to see the Braves lose that division. And second, that pitching staff has been banged up all year long.

RKMeibalane
08-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Many are saying that Bowa isn't really at fault on this season. The team was probably over-rated in the national media largely because of a desire to see the Braves lose that division. And second, that pitching staff has been banged up all year long.
I agree that the situation is not entirely Bowa's fault; however, he is not well-liked by any of his players, and given that the Phillies have underachieved for three seasons now, people seem to be running out of patience. I have been spending some time posting on a Phillies message board, and the fans there want Bowa fired.

samram
08-23-2004, 01:07 PM
I agree that the situation is not entirely Bowa's fault; however, he is not well-liked by any of his players, and given that the Phillies have underachieved for three seasons now, people seem to be running out of patience. I have been spending some time posting on a Phillies message board, and the fans there want Bowa fired.
Well, the way the Phils have spent money the last two offseasons, they had to expect more than this. They have had injuries to the bullpen, but they have more talent than Atlanta and should be much closer, if not ahead, of them. I thought the Braves were going to be one of the worst teams in the NL, but there they are with a six or seven game lead in the NL East. Bowa just isn't the correct fit there. I also wonder if McKeon is on the hotseat if the Marlins don't make a run.

Baby Fisk
08-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Well, the way the Phils have spent money the last two offseasons, they had to expect more than this. They have had injuries to the bullpen, but they have more talent than Atlanta and should be much closer, if not ahead, of them. I thought the Braves were going to be one of the worst teams in the NL, but there they are with a six or seven game lead in the NL East. Bowa just isn't the correct fit there. I also wonder if McKeon is on the hotseat if the Marlins don't make a run.
Agreed. Bowa is toast for squandering the Phil's season in a new ballpark, injuries or not.

McKeon might be gone too. This season was a victory lap for the old trader more than anything else.

1951Campbell
08-23-2004, 06:04 PM
:jerry

"Remember me?"
Boy. If they think the cure to Gen. Apoplexy is Ghandi, they'll be sorely disappointed.

1951Campbell
08-23-2004, 06:05 PM
I catch some of the games out here in Central PA. Bowa's pre-game show now sounds like he's being forced to be interviewed at gunpoint. Yeesh. :?:

samram
08-24-2004, 09:42 AM
I catch some of the games out here in Central PA. Bowa's pre-game show now sounds like he's being forced to be interviewed at gunpoint. Yeesh. :?:
Interesting observation. I just heard Beasley Reese on Colin Cowherd's show, and he said he noticed Bowa was not acting his usual fiery self, as if he has been told something. I guess that could mean one of two things: 1) he has been told to tone down his act, or 2) he has been told he is gone after the season and he just doesn't care as much anymore. Reese also said he hopes Bowa doesn't go and that fans are blaming the players more than him. I don't believe that, given what RK posted earlier. Sounds more like a media member not wanting to be on a manager's bad side.

samram
08-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Boy. If they think the cure to Gen. Apoplexy is Ghandi, they'll be sorely disappointed.
It's like replacing Gen. Apoplexy with Gen. Malaise.