PDA

View Full Version : NY POST: Nobody Wants Loaiza

Unregistered
08-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Since the last Loaiza thread was completely hijacked, I found this piece in the Post somewhat amusing. Mods, feel free to move this back to that Roadhouse worthy thread if needed.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/27362.htm

PaulDrake
08-23-2004, 12:51 PM
Elo caught lightning in a bottle last year. It's not likely to happen again.

maurice
08-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Loaiza, quoted in the Post article:

This is my first time making an adjustment since two years ago.
Good. There was no sense in trying to make an adjustments when you were posting a 7.39 ERA over your last seven starts with the Sox.

:angry:

SouthSideIrish
08-23-2004, 01:07 PM
With his three-plus inning, four-run start on Aug. 21, Esteban Loaiza has likely killed the Yankees' hopes of trading the struggling right-hander to the Rangers or any other team, The New York Post reports.
<p>
"The Yankees still want to move him, but there are no takers," a baseball executive told The Post. "You could've traded him on (Aug. 18) They waited one start too long."
<p>
According to The Post, the Yankees will return to a five-man rotation on Aug. 31, meaning Loaiza likely will be out of the mix.

Contreras since trade:
G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L SV HLD BL SV ERA
4 4 0 0 26.2 20 11 9 2 11 26 3 0 0 0 - - 3.04

SoxxoS
08-23-2004, 01:25 PM
If he finds his velocity, he is worth picking up. But that's not going to happen. I would be scouting him in the offseason if I were a GM, though.

RKMeibalane
08-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Assuming that Loaiza can regain of his velocity, I don't have a problem with the Sox bringing him back for next season. A rotation of Buehrle-Garcia-Contreras-Garland-Loaiza is strong enough to win the division, provided of course that the Sox upgrade in other areas, as well.

MRKARNO
08-23-2004, 01:34 PM
The terrible, awful, pathetic GM of the Chicago White Sox, Kenny Williams 3 weeks ago traded away a pitcher who currently has no trade value in exchange for a pitcher who has been fairly dominant in all but one start and will likely be a cornerstone of our rotation for the next two years. Kenny Williams is terrible and has never done anything right.

santo=dorf
08-23-2004, 01:35 PM
The terrible, awful, pathetic GM of the Chicago White Sox, Kenny Williams 3 weeks ago traded away a pitcher who currently has no trade value in exchange for a pitcher who has been fairly dominant in all but one start and will likely be a cornerstone of our rotation for the next two years. Kenny Williams is terrible and has never done anything right.

Careful. That's going to lead to another Hijack. :D:

JB98
08-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Assuming that Loaiza can regain of his velocity, I don't have a problem with the Sox bringing him back for next season. A rotation of Buehrle-Garcia-Contreras-Garland-Loaiza is strong enough to win the division, provided of course that the Sox upgrade in other areas, as well.
I don't want Loaiza back. Assuming he can regain his velocity, well, that's a pretty big assumption. There are better options out there. KW gambled on Esteban once, and it turned up gold. However, I wouldn't bet on lightning striking twice.

habibharu
08-23-2004, 02:01 PM
The terrible, awful, pathetic GM of the Chicago White Sox, Kenny Williams 3 weeks ago traded away a pitcher who currently has no trade value in exchange for a pitcher who has been fairly dominant in all but one start and will likely be a cornerstone of our rotation for the next two years. Kenny Williams is terrible and has never done anything right. yeah, well thats because contreras has NO pressure on him. yes, he has been AWESOME so far, but we'll see how he does starting out next year before judging the trade

thepaulbowski
08-23-2004, 04:51 PM
yeah, well thats because contreras has NO pressure on him. yes, he has been AWESOME so far, but we'll see how he does starting out next year before judging the trade
Yeah the Sox should dump him if he starts off slowly next year.

He also has his family back with him from Cuba. Maybe that had more to do with his peformance than the "pressure." That would weigh on my mind quite a bit.....

thepaulbowski
08-23-2004, 04:52 PM
Careful. That's going to lead to another Hijack. :D:
I'm sure the KW bashers are licking their chops right now......

thepaulbowski
08-23-2004, 04:53 PM
With his three-plus inning, four-run start on Aug. 21, Esteban Loaiza has likely killed the Yankees' hopes of trading the struggling right-hander to the Rangers or any other team, The New York Post reports.
<p>
"The Yankees still want to move him, but there are no takers," a baseball executive told The Post. "You could've traded him on (Aug. 18) They waited one start too long."
<p>
According to The Post, the Yankees will return to a five-man rotation on Aug. 31, meaning Loaiza likely will be out of the mix.

Contreras since trade:
G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L SV HLD BL SV ERA
4 4 0 0 26.2 20 11 9 2 11 26 3 0 0 0 - - 3.04
Can Loaiza say "outright release" from the Yankees.

Flight #24
08-23-2004, 05:03 PM
yeah, well thats because contreras has NO pressure on him. yes, he has been AWESOME so far, but we'll see how he does starting out next year before judging the trade
Yeah, pitching for a floundering team desparate for wins with an offense that often has trouble scoring doesn't put any pressure on the pitcher........

OzzieBall2004
08-23-2004, 05:27 PM

I think the fact that he pitched his was out of a hell of a jam in Fenway, where he had an ERA around 20, gives you a pretty good idea of how far this guys come along. His control still worries me. Too many full counts and 2 strike walks. He's gotta work on getting ahead of hitters.

I think he was not only bothered by the pressure of the Yankees high expectations, but also the huge crowds and the culture shock everywhere he goes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt he ever pitched in front of more than 5-10,000. The more he gets used to that, the more he'll be relaxed. And if we keep it up, he should get a lot of home games with 10,000 there, so he'll feel right at home.

Mohoney
08-24-2004, 02:46 AM

I would say the trade is already a success, because we gave up only Loaiza. We don't have to worry about a prospect that we gave up biting uss in the ass.

Loaiza is ALREADY on the block AGAIN. Essentially, that is an ABSOLUTE WIN for a GM if he gets a SP in exchange for a guy that is traded shortly thereafter. If Kenny makes more of these deals, I'm all for it. Maybe Kenny could get us Meche for Garland and Cotts in the offseason, and then sign either Carl Pavano or Russ Ortiz.

Besides, were we even going to keep Loaiza next year anyway?