PDA

View Full Version : To all the Willie Harris bashers

quade36
08-23-2004, 09:52 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with him expect for the fact that he doesn't play everyday. He is an above average fielder both at CF and at 2B. He has shown signs of becoming that leadoff hitter we need. And he is definitely a spark in run production when he gets on base.

For all who want a 2B to hit 20 HRs and bat .250 (Uribe) I think thats ridiculous based on the amount of power this team already has.

Willie needs to play everyday. He should be the leadoff hitter/2B for the White Sox for years to come.

samram
08-23-2004, 10:00 AM
He's just been so streaky. He has a three game stretch where he's 7-12 with three walks, and then he goes into an 0-14 slump. That pencils out to .269, with about a .350 OBP, but he will not have been on base for four games. The Sox need consistency from the leadoff spot. Maybe he would be more consistent if he played everyday, and the Sox have to find out here in the last six weeks.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-23-2004, 10:03 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with him expect for the fact that he doesn't play everyday. He is an above average fielder both at CF and at 2B. He has shown signs of becoming that leadoff hitter we need. And he is definitely a spark in run production when he gets on base.

For all who want a 2B to hit 20 HRs and bat .250 (Uribe) I think thats ridiculous based on the amount of power this team already has.

Willie needs to play everyday. He should be the leadoff hitter/2B for the White Sox for years to come.
When you're being sarcastic, you need to use teal.
:cool:

Willie will not be the Sox leadoff man. The Oracle of Reinsdorphi has already spoken. Even his junior partner is getting in on the act.

:hawk
"That was not a good at-bat."

:DJ
"C'mon Willie. Don't try anything fancy, everyone in the ballpark knows what you need to do. Now do it."

:reinsy
"I say it up here, and it comes out down there."

Etownsox13
08-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Willie could be a solid 2b in the future, but righ now he is way to inconsistant to start every day. That said, he is a much better option over at second compared to Robbie Alomar

MisterB
08-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Little known fact: With Thomas out, Harris is now the best on the roster at drawing walks.

Walks per Plate Appearance:
*Thomas .206
Harris .119
Konerko .112
Valentin .084
Lee .080
RAlomar .073
*Ordonez .072
Crede .067
Uribe .067
SAlomar .066
Rowand .062
Gload .060
Everett .059
Perez .058
Davis .051

Kogs35
08-23-2004, 11:05 AM
he may draw walks and all but he cant hit with pressure. he sucks hes a AAAA player.

jabrch
08-23-2004, 11:05 AM
The big problem with Willie is that he can't hit lefties.

bafiarocks03
08-23-2004, 11:37 AM
ive been trying to tell these people that for a long time...im a huge HUGE willie harris fan!!! he is a awesome second baseman...and he can hit....hes not the best hitter but hes better then JOE BORCHARD!!! ok anyone it better than Joe Borchard!!:bandance:

misty60481
08-23-2004, 11:40 AM
anyone who has over 300 ABs and cant hit one out of n Cellular Field is not a big league ballplayer

HITMEN OF 77
08-23-2004, 11:44 AM
The thing I get sick of seeing from Harris is everytime he's at bat, it seems he tries to bunt at least once. Go up there and swing the bat, your wasting strikes! Yes, I know he has great speed and might actually get a bunt down and beat it out, but come on. I like Harris, nice guy, tries hard, good speed, decent in the field but he's not the 2nd baseman for this team IMO. I'd much rather see Uribe or Alomar out there than Harris.

jordan23ventura
08-24-2004, 02:59 AM
The thing I get sick of seeing from Harris is everytime he's at bat, it seems he tries to bunt at least once. Go up there and swing the bat, your wasting strikes! Yes, I know he has great speed and might actually get a bunt down and beat it out, but come on. I like Harris, nice guy, tries hard, good speed, decent in the field but he's not the 2nd baseman for this team IMO. I'd much rather see Uribe or Alomar out there than Harris.
The thing that most annoys me about Willie is the apparent lack of confidence. He has speed, he knows he has speed, so he should run. That's one of the reasons why I want to see him play every single game for the rest of the year. Let him try to get on base. Let him try to use his speed when he does. Alomar should only be his personal coach, and Uribe should be the everyday SS, with Crede everyday 3B, Gload the everyday 1B, Davis the everyday C, and Borchard the everyday RF.

misty60481
08-24-2004, 09:42 AM
1b--Gload
2b--Harris
SS--Uribe
3b--Crede
LF--Lee
CF--Rowand
RF--Bouchard
C--Davis
With a line-up like this how many people would show up at the Cell and pay $20 plus for a ticket?? We can say trade away our big guys but JR knows they are the ones put the money in the bank, so if we go small-ball with a bunch of low name grinders and attendance drops means less money spent on teame the next year..
Lets face it Paulie puts more people in house than Timo, Gload, Harris, Uribe ( etc. )

samram
08-24-2004, 09:48 AM
1b--Gload
2b--Harris
SS--Uribe
3b--Crede
LF--Lee
CF--Rowand
RF--Bouchard
C--Davis
With a line-up like this how many people would show up at the Cell and pay $20 plus for a ticket?? We can say trade away our big guys but JR knows they are the ones put the money in the bank, so if we go small-ball with a bunch of low name grinders and attendance drops means less money spent on teame the next year..
Lets face it Paulie puts more people in house than Timo, Gload, Harris, Uribe ( etc. )
Well, I don't think that by "small-ball" people think that we should trade all power hitters away and just replace them with whoever is on the bench now. What they're saying is to have more line-drive hitters that are on base, and maybe have some speed, and can win games where they aren't hitting homeruns. You still need at least 4 homerun threats in the lineup though, IMO, in order to be flexible enough to win high-scoring games and to be able to come back from large deficits.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2004, 12:54 PM
Well, I don't think that by "small-ball" people think that we should trade all power hitters away and just replace them with whoever is on the bench now. What they're saying is to have more line-drive hitters that are on base, and maybe have some speed, and can win games where they aren't hitting homeruns. You still need at least 4 homerun threats in the lineup though, IMO, in order to be flexible enough to win high-scoring games and to be able to come back from large deficits.
Well of course we need those sorts of hitters. It's precisely those type of hitters the Sox are missing AT THE TOP of the order, not the middle. At this very minute there are other posters on this message board giving a vote of confidence to that knucklehead Willie Harris while screaming for "small ball". These people simply don't have a clue...

:kukoo:

As for the "small ball" Sox lineup Misty created, I guarantee that team would struggle to score 3 runs per game. And as Misty noted, attendance would drop considerably too... especially since that team would lose 90+ games.

Thomas and Maggs both go down and now all the lunatics come out of the closet thinking we can bunt our way to a championship. I sure hope nobody in the front office at 35th & Shields is listening to any of this nonsense... what a sad day for the franchise this would be.

:ohno
"Lots of competition for that 'sad day' title."

mdep524
08-24-2004, 01:12 PM

You must be kidding. If not, I respectfully disgree. I would venture to say Willie Harris is in the running for worst player in all of major league baseball.

The ONLY thing Willie can do is run very fast. He is an abysmally bad hitter. The fact that his average is over .250 is mind boggling to me- he has the worst approach I've ever seen. Despite that stat that MisterB brought up, he doesn't really walk all that much, unless he is taking all the way because he knows he can't hit. His bunting is not good. He has no power. He can't hit lefties. He can't hit good pitching. He can't catch up to a fastball. He is at best an average defender- not bad, but not as good as Uribe. He is baseball dumb, makes bad decisions and has bad instincts. And to add insult to injury, when the stars align and he does reach base, he cannot steal bases!! ***?? If he has no confidence in his abilities, I want him out of here.

Basically, he is not a baseball player- he should be in Athens right now as a sprinter.

OurBitchinMinny
08-24-2004, 02:43 PM

maybe one of these days he can learn to get a bleeping bunt down. Or steal a base, or make contact off a lefty

maurice
08-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Harris is a fine #9 hitting platoon 2B. In his first full MLB season, he has a .268 AVE / .355 OBP overall (.289 AVE / .382 OBP v. RHP) and is paid the minimum salary. He's better than or comparable to the likes of Luis Rivas, Pokey Reese, Miguel Cairo, Marco Scutaro, and Tony Womack . . . all of whom start for winning teams.

If you want to get on a Sox IF, you need look no further than the $5 million / year SS with the .223 AVE.

:manos
"Deed somebody page the 'stache?"

Wealz
08-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Harris is a fine #9 hitting platoon 2B. In his first full MLB season, he has a .268 AVE / .355 OBP overall (.289 AVE / .382 OBP v. RHP) and is paid the minimum salary. He's better than or comparable to the likes of Luis Rivas, Pokey Reese, Miguel Cairo, Marco Scutaro, and Tony Womack . . . all of whom start for winning teams.

If you want to get on a Sox IF, you need look no further than the $5 million / year SS with the .223 AVE.

:manos
"Deed somebody page the 'stache?"
Find a better value at SS for $5M than Valentin. He has the major weakness of not being able to touch lefties. A GM worth his salt solves this by finding a platoon partner for him.

Foulke29
08-24-2004, 04:13 PM
He is an above average fielder both at CF and at 2B.
I'll bet Magglio is thinking those very thoughts right now - while at home... wondering if he'll ever play again.

owensmouth
08-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Willie Harris - - - The Master of the 0-2 Count.

Fake a bunt, take a strike. Fake a bunt, have a second strike.

samram
08-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Willie Harris - - - The Master of the 0-2 Count.

Fake a bunt, take a strike. Fake a bunt, have a second strike.
Don't forget to take strike three.

quade36
08-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Name a Sox player that doesn't go 0-2??????

ClaudelSleptHere
08-24-2004, 08:53 PM
I never want to see an Alomar in our lineup again...........

cubhater
08-24-2004, 11:00 PM
1b--Gload
2b--Harris
SS--Uribe
3b--Crede
LF--Lee
CF--Rowand
RF--Bouchard
C--Davis
Who cares if low-name grinders make up our lineup as long as we WIN.
WINNING puts fans in the seats! I'll show up if little leaguers in Sox uniforms contend and show more heart than this year's version of corpseball.

However, this lineup scares me as a Sox fan.:(:

cubhater
08-24-2004, 11:07 PM
maybe one of these days he can learn to get a bleeping bunt down. Or steal a base, or make contact off a lefty
My thoughts exactly. At least he didn't come with all the hype that Ray Durham was the second coming of Joe Morgan.

doublem23
08-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Willie was once playing everyday. Willie no longer plays everyday.

There's a reason for that.

:weewillie
Don't hate, Doub! How am I supposed to score with the ladies without your approval?

bafiarocks03
08-25-2004, 03:23 PM
The reason is Robbie Alomar..... i have no idea why we got him....i love willie!!

PorkChopExpress
08-25-2004, 03:31 PM
Find a better value at SS for $5M than Valentin. He has the major weakness of not being able to touch lefties. A GM worth his salt solves this by finding a platoon partner for him.
Uribe?