PDA

View Full Version : Sox improvement/attendence

mike squires
08-23-2004, 09:01 AM
In your opionion what has been the biggest turn around in regards to increased attendence? Renovations? Ozzie? Marketing? It certainly can't be because of the play on the field!!! I realize Boston just left town which drew a lot of fans but we've drawn pretty well even when playing the Tigers. 25,000 on a non half price night? Not bad. Usually it's 15 or 16K when we play lesser quality teams.

samram
08-23-2004, 09:06 AM
In your opionion what has been the biggest turn around in regards to increased attendence? Renovations? Ozzie? Marketing? It certainly can't be because of the play on the field!!! I realize Boston just left town which drew a lot of fans but we've drawn pretty well even when playing the Tigers. 25,000 on a non half price night? Not bad. Usually it's 15 or 16K when we play lesser quality teams.
Well, they were playing well and creating a buzz, so a lot of tickets were probably bought back in mid-May for games in August and September. I don't know what the walk-up numbers are, but my guess is that they'll go down here in the last six weeks of the season. Of course, the way the Sox are, they'll probably go 18-10 or something in September with no pressure on them.

The Critic
08-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Some things I think might have something to do with it:

False hope created by the team's early good record
Inability of "casual fan" to get Cub tickets
Decent weather for a change
Reduced-price ticket promotions via door-to-door marketing, sponsor deals, etc.
Good marketing and interesting commercials since Boyer took over

Just a few things that might have had an impact....

Deadguy
08-23-2004, 09:10 AM
It's a shame that the Sox couldn't capitalize on this increase in attendance by playing winning baseball, in order to keep the Sox fans who remain on the fence about attending the Cell coming back with as much or greater frequency.

TornLabrum
08-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Yeah, it's too bad our two best hitters got hurt so we couldn't follow up on that good start.

Etownsox13
08-23-2004, 10:12 AM
Its all been the weather. The casual fan likes to come out to the game only if the weather is good. This year has been great weather-wise, and has contributed to the large numbers of walk-up ticket sales.

hawkeyesrule
08-23-2004, 10:16 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with the renovations. The roof they put on makes the upper deck MUCH more attractive. You don't feel like you're walking up to space anymore, and the roof makes you feel a little more "grounded" when you're sitting up there. Those are the cheap seats, offer a decent viewpoint, and now you don't get sick sitting up there...

skobabe8
08-23-2004, 10:38 AM
Its all been the weather. The casual fan likes to come out to the game only if the weather is good. This year has been great weather-wise, and has contributed to the large numbers of walk-up ticket sales.

Your what hurts?

The weather has been awful this year--especially early on in the year.

Parrothead
08-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Yeah, it's too bad our two best hitters got hurt so we couldn't follow up on that good start.
True but it so what type of piss poor bench and team KW built for this year. The Cubs were missing some good player but kept winning. Because they had a much better bench.:angry:

Daver
08-23-2004, 06:56 PM
True but it so what type of piss poor bench and team KW built for this year. The Cubs were missing some good player but kept winning. Because they had a much better bench.:angry:
And a payroll nearly double the Sox payroll.

Give it up, your comparing apples to cocanuts.

greenpeach
08-23-2004, 08:08 PM
The Cubs kept winning because they are blessed with a $95 million payroll while KW is forced to make do with a payroll between $55- $65 million. It's a helluva lot easier to stock your bench with quality players when you're playing with that kind of money. Once Maggs & Frank went out, it was all over but the crying. :whiner:

Parrothead
08-23-2004, 08:15 PM
The Cubs kept winning because they are blessed with a $95 million payroll while KW is forced to make do with a payroll between $55- $65 million. It's a helluva lot easier to stock your bench with quality players when you're playing with that kind of money. Once Maggs & Frank went out, it was all over but the crying. :whiner:
I am tired of hearing about the payroll. That is just an excuse. The Angel, Marlins did not use "the Payroll" as an excuse when they won the World Series. They had a talented bench and good roll players who played as a team. The Sox are bad at evaulating talent. They need a new scouting system.

Dub25
08-23-2004, 08:26 PM
The Sox created a buzz with "WINNING" early on. Plus the trade for Garcia helped.

The Cubs kept winning because of good starting pitching. Even when those guys lose they are usually not blown out.

batmanZoSo
08-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Of course, the way the Sox are, they'll probably go 18-10 or something in September with no pressure on them.
I'll bet my life on it. And it'll bring out the last wave of 'hopefuls' to be ultimately disappointed. As soon as the Sox begin to sniff Minnesota they'll sweep us.

kitekrazy
08-23-2004, 08:54 PM
That's the key ingredient-starting pitching. Plus I think they need to go out on a limb and sign a big name free agent. I think the Sox would get their money back if they signed Roger Clemens, the ultimate insult to the Cubs would've been to sign Greg Maddux, or even get A-Rod. The Tigers are getting their money's worth with I-Rod. This was probably one siging the Cubs shouldn't have ignored either.

I think guys like that put people in the park. Some might not be worth the value they are paid but still they draw fans and if the team tanks you could at least trade them to a team in contention and replenish your farm system.

Renisdorf needs to realize not every signing will turn out to be the next Albert Belle. Go for a money guy.

batmanZoSo
08-23-2004, 09:08 PM
That's the key ingredient-starting pitching. Plus I think they need to go out on a limb and sign a big name free agent. I think the Sox would get their money back if they signed Roger Clemens, the ultimate insult to the Cubs would've been to sign Greg Maddux, or even get A-Rod. The Tigers are getting their money's worth with I-Rod. This was probably one siging the Cubs shouldn't have ignored either.

I think guys like that put people in the park. Some might not be worth the value they are paid but still they draw fans and if the team tanks you could at least trade them to a team in contention and replenish your farm system.

Renisdorf needs to realize not every signing will turn out to be the next Albert Belle. Go for a money guy.
He never takes noble gambles like that. If the numbers don't equal big profit at the beginning, it's a no-go. He likes to wait-and-see where we are, then we get our Freddy Garcia or whoever.

jackbrohamer
08-23-2004, 09:10 PM

I must have been going to games in a parallel universe this year, where almost every game the weather's been miserable. But where Joe Crede still sucks.

South Side
08-23-2004, 09:52 PM
I'll bet my life on it. And it'll bring out the last wave of 'hopefuls' to be ultimately disappointed. As soon as the Sox begin to sniff Minnesota they'll sweep us.
I would take that. Something to make it exciting. Even if they fall short October 4th by a game I would take that over this embarassing 4th place play we're seeing now. Although, I don't think that will happen in the first place. This team is not going anywhere NEAR the playoffs...

Lip Man 1
08-23-2004, 10:19 PM
One word for the increase: Ozzie.

Lip

TornLabrum
08-24-2004, 01:43 AM
Somehow Williams managed to up his salary budget to $63 million from $52 million. I believe the Cubs budget was something like $90 million or so.

TornLabrum
08-24-2004, 01:44 AM
I am tired of hearing about the payroll. That is just an excuse. The Angel, Marlins did not use "the Payroll" as an excuse when they won the World Series. They had a talented bench and good roll players who played as a team. The Sox are bad at evaulating talent. They need a new scouting system.
You do have a point here, however.

MrRoboto83
08-24-2004, 01:58 AM
I think there are just a lot of people that haven't been out to see the Sox in years coming back to the ballpark and having fun. I know a few of my friends that have stated that they forgot how much fun it is at Comisky and now wonder what the deal is with the Urinal. I am starting to believe our fan base is slowly coming back. Next year could be huge.

GregoryEtc
08-24-2004, 02:20 PM
I think the increased attendance is due to the fact that KW said at the beginning of the season that if more people came out to the ballpark, he'd be more likely to sign a free-agent or two.

PatK
08-25-2004, 11:02 AM
One reason I know of why people are going to the games:

The "nicer" neighborhood.

I know quite a few Cubs "fans" who ended up going to Sox games this year. They were AMAZED that the neighborhood surrounding the Cell isn't the crappy, project ridden hole that it used to be. And they've gone back since, mainly because they now realize that the area isn't the stereotypical ghetto it used to be.

Let's face it, most Flubs fans aren't fans because of the team. It's because you can go to the game, go shopping, go barhopping, go out to eat, and pick up chicks (or any combination of the above).

Basically, it's because of what you can do before AND after the game. And most of the sissies from the burbs feel it's a safe neighborhood.

I would think that as the area around the Cell improves, attendence is going to go up. I'm really surprised that there hasn't been some kind of development and investing going on, because that area IMO has the potential to be way more "happening" than Wrigleville, seeing as it sits closer to the expressways and the L.

gosox41
08-25-2004, 01:43 PM
One reason I know of why people are going to the games:

The "nicer" neighborhood.

I know quite a few Cubs "fans" who ended up going to Sox games this year. They were AMAZED that the neighborhood surrounding the Cell isn't the crappy, project ridden hole that it used to be. And they've gone back since, mainly because they now realize that the area isn't the stereotypical ghetto it used to be.

Let's face it, most Flubs fans aren't fans because of the team. It's because you can go to the game, go shopping, go barhopping, go out to eat, and pick up chicks (or any combination of the above).

Basically, it's because of what you can do before AND after the game. And most of the sissies from the burbs feel it's a safe neighborhood.

I would think that as the area around the Cell improves, attendence is going to go up. I'm really surprised that there hasn't been some kind of development and investing going on, because that area IMO has the potential to be way more "happening" than Wrigleville, seeing as it sits closer to the expressways and the L.
There's a lot of developing going on. The housing projects are gone and being developed into middle income housing. If you go west of the stadium and drive around the neighborhood you can see some contruction projects for condos or houses.

It takes time, but new bars/restaurants will move in. Especially once the construction begins on that middle income housing.

In fact I saw an article on MSNBC or CNN on the internet about how Bronzeville was the hottest area in Chicago in terms of real estate growth and opportunity.

Bob

Flight #24
08-25-2004, 01:48 PM
There's a lot of developing going on. The housing projects are gone and being developed into middle income housing. If you go west of the stadium and drive around the neighborhood you can see some contruction projects for condos or houses.

It takes time, but new bars/restaurants will move in. Especially once the construction begins on that middle income housing.

In fact I saw an article on MSNBC or CNN on the internet about how Bronzeville was the hottest area in Chicago in terms of real estate growth and opportunity.

Bob
The whole IIT are's dramtically imprved as well. In fact, I'd be very surprised if Brooks Boyer didn't have some sort of student marketing plan in place for next year. It's too close & obvious, and so far he's shown too much smarts not to.

The more young people you bring to the park, the trendier it'll seem, and the quicker you'll get the bars, etc around. Plus, you grab fans when they're in college and make coming to USCF a fun, memorable experience and when they graduate in a few years, they'll keep coming back.

The Critic
08-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Everything Flight#24 said.
:gulp:

PatK
08-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Flight #24 brings up a good point.

Brooks is going a good job, and I hope he keeps it up.