PDA

View Full Version : Middle infield upgrades...

jordan23ventura
08-23-2004, 04:29 AM
Will everyone please STOP with this Renteria crap? He's not coming here! St. Louis is on their way to the World Series. And last I heard, he has an option anyway. Why would this guy want to leave? Why would the Cards let him leave?

Nomar, Kent, Walker, and possibly Rich Aurilia are the only guys who could be potential offensive upgrades barring a trade. The real problem is that we don't have a real leadoff man as Rowand is more of a No. 2 hitter and our entire MIF sucks against lefties. Harris is hitting .170 vs. .288 against RHP, Uribe is hitting .219 LHP vs. .280 against RHP, and Valentin is hitting a whopping .157 vs. .255 against RHP. One of these guys has got to go for someone who can hit LHP or be platooned.

Oddly enough, Ross Gload is hitting .462 against lefties and .254 against righties. By replacing PK with a Valentin/Gload platoon, you upgrade at defense and pretty much replace his production, plus you have an extra MIF for PH duties when Ross is playing. Additionally, if Jose can come back at around 4mil, you've got it all at about 4mil less per year.

*EDIT: I don't know how many plate appearances Ross has had against lefties, but I for one would like to see him get more playing time just to see how he does against both sides.

Erik The Red
08-23-2004, 04:34 AM
Yeah, and Valentin is hitting what, .100 against lefties? No thanks.

:hawk
HE GONE!

jordan23ventura
08-23-2004, 04:36 AM

HE GONE!
Do you know what a platoon is? It's where two players share a position. One (Valentin) hits RHP, the other (Gload) hits LHP unless specific matchups dictate otherwise.

wdelaney72
08-23-2004, 09:30 AM
Could someone get the scoop on Renteria's contract. I don't know anything about an option. I thought he was a FA.

St. Louis may be going to the WS this year, but next year, they are already strapped on players salaries. I seriously doubt Renteria will fit into their long term plan. He's going to command more money. WS teams almost always lose a few FA the following year. This will be no exception.

I believe Renteria is a real possibility and should be KW #1 priority. Screw Beltran, a solid SS would be a refreshing change.

samram
08-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Could someone get the scoop on Renteria's contract. I don't know anything about an option. I thought he was a FA.

St. Louis may be going to the WS this year, but next year, they are already strapped on players salaries. I seriously doubt Renteria will fit into their long term plan. He's going to command more money. WS teams almost always lose a few FA the following year. This will be no exception.

I believe Renteria is a real possibility and should be KW #1 priority. Screw Beltran, a solid SS would be a refreshing change.
He has a 6.5M option for next year, but I'm not sure whose it is, although since he talked about his slight unhappiness last week, I'm guessing it's his. Regardless, I don't think Ozzie wants Jose back, and there's no reason to have a platoon where the guy who plays against LHP is a left-handed batter.

nodiggity59
08-23-2004, 10:47 AM
I hope the Angels make a run at Nomar and we somehow scoop up Eckstein. That would leave tons of cash for pitching and would add a contact hitter.

samram
08-23-2004, 10:57 AM
I hope the Angels make a run at Nomar and we somehow scoop up Eckstein. That would leave tons of cash for pitching and would add a contact hitter.
That all depends on what Moreno plans to do. It seems that people have heard he wants to cut payroll, but if Glaus is gone and replaced with McPherson, Salmon is gone, maybe Kennedy or Erstad is traded, I can see them going after Nomar. The problem with Eckstein is he only has a .344 OBP, which is certainly not very good for a lead off guy, which is where the Sox would want to hit him. I mean, Wille's OBP is .355, and no one seems to be too crazy about him.

infohawk
08-23-2004, 11:43 AM

HE GONE!
I agree. I like Jose, but he is an all-or-nothing hitter. He personifies the inconsistency of this team. The Sox need better .OBP throughout the line-up. I would be more than willing to sacrifice slugging to get it. I don't think he will be back next year. Most likely, either Uribe or that Valdez kid we obtained in the Koch deal will man short. Apparently Ozzie really likes Valdez from his days as a Marlins coach. He was mentioned in the Sun-Times today. I have included the blurb.

SEPTEMBER HELP: Minor-league infielder Wilson Valdez might be among the players joining the Sox when rosters expand Sept. 1. Valdez came from the Florida Marlins in the trade for closer Billy Koch. He is hitting .311 with nine stolen bases in 54 games for Class AAA Charlotte.

Randar68
08-23-2004, 11:51 AM
He has a 6.5M option for next year, but I'm not sure whose it is, although since he talked about his slight unhappiness last week, I'm guessing it's his. Regardless, I don't think Ozzie wants Jose back, and there's no reason to have a platoon where the guy who plays against LHP is a left-handed batter.
I believe Renteria has a club option with a 1.0 Million dollar buyout, although there may be a player option there as well, similar to what Frank has.

samram
08-23-2004, 11:59 AM
I believe Renteria has a club option with a 1.0 Million dollar buyout, although there may be a player option there as well, similar to what Frank has.
Yeah, looking at Dugout Dollars (http://dugoutdollars.blogspot.com/2003_07_27_dugoutdollars_archive.html) again, that makes sense.

cornball
08-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Regardless, Renteria will not be coming here. He will resign with the Cards, I believe he is a true FA, based on Sunday's Tribune.

fledgedrallycap
08-23-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't know what we have to offer, but I wouldn't mind seeing Jerry Harriston Jr. playing 2B next year.

In terms of the hot corner, Joe Randa and Shea Hillenbrand are both free-agents I believe.

If this Valdez kid can play a solid SS; has speed and can lay down an ef'in bunt; then let him play.

Mickster
08-23-2004, 12:25 PM
The Cardinals have approx. $60M in 7 players (including the portion of Larry Walker's contract that is not on Dugout Dollars) for next year already and this does not include Renteria. That is pretty steep. He will definately get a raise over his $7.5M salary this year. Assuming St. Louis' payroll has a nominal increase (say to $85M) I just don't see how he could possibly stay in St. Louis. The math just does not work.

Although, on second thought... They will have a new stadium, and therefore new revenues, new skyboxes, etc.... Might be possible... :dunno:

samram
08-23-2004, 12:30 PM
The Cardinals have approx. $60M in 7 players (including the portion of Larry Walker's contract that is not on Dugout Dollars) for next year already and this does not include Renteria. That is pretty steep. He will definately get a raise over his $7.5M salary this year. Assuming St. Louis' payroll has a nominal increase (say to $85M) I just don't see how he could possibly stay in St. Louis. The math just does not work.

Although, on second thought... They will have a new stadium, and therefore new revenues, new skyboxes, etc.... Might be possible... :dunno:
Yeah, but they also have to fill two rotation spots, assuming Marquis, Suppan, and Carpenter are back. Morris is a FA, and Woody Williams has an $8M option, which I don't think they'll pick up. I doubt they will go into next year thinking they can get two more journeymen to do what the three this year have done for them.

balke
08-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Being in Southern Illinois for the majority of this Baseball season, I've seen my share of lame Cardinals broadcast on Fox Sports. They have said many times, that it is somewhat sad that this is potentially Renteria's last season on the Cardinals.

Those owners don't have a lot of money, but they have 3 players up for MVP... that's bling bling out tha ying yang mang.

anyways, He should be available, and would be a good fit in Chicago... let the name keep droppin!