PDA

View Full Version : City to Cubs: No Nets in 2005

Viva Magglio
08-22-2004, 11:04 PM
The City of Chicago has said (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1865086) that the Cubs must find a permanent solution to the falling concrete issue and cannot use nets in 2005.

Brian26
08-23-2004, 12:59 AM
:gulp:

That's terrible news.

Palehose13
08-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Here's my solution:

http://www.seykota.com/tribe/FAQ/2003_Apr/Apr_27-30/ball.jpg

CWWTWS1
08-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Not sure why so many of you want to see Wrigley torn down. If it happens, look for the Cubs to build a new stadium on the lakefront or simply rebuild Wrigley on it's current location. The attention their new stadium would get would be the perfect opportunity for the media to slam the Sox for not doing it right when they had the chance. Be very careful what you wish for.

tebman
08-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Not sure why so many of you want to see Wrigley torn down. If it happens, look for the Cubs to build a new stadium on the lakefront or simply rebuild Wrigley on it's current location. The attention their new stadium would get would be the perfect opportunity for the media to slam the Sox for not doing it right when they had the chance. Be very careful what you wish for.So true! If the Cubs had to rebuild the park there'd be everyone from Bob Costas to Sister Wendy rhapsodizing about it.

This whole situation (the city telling the Cubs that they have to have the place fixed before next season) is what I expected would happen. Unless they had hard evidence of serious structural problems (which was unlikely), the city was not going to shut down the ballpark. Like I said in another thread, the city (i.e., Rich Daley) enjoys embarrassing the Tribune, but they're not stupid. Daley and his lords & ladies would have a major nationwide PR problem on their hands if they shut it down without a compelling safety argument.

Daley's not worried about getting re-elected. But he does worry about upsetting the business interests that keep the Chicago engine running.

- tebman

Brian26
08-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Not sure why so many of you want to see Wrigley torn down. If it happens, look for the Cubs to build a new stadium on the lakefront or simply rebuild Wrigley on it's current location.

Or maybe they would build a nice park in Schaumburg to stick it to the city. And wouldn't it be great when they finally realized that the team itself doesn't have fans, but rather, Wrigley Field has fans. And while the Cubs were struggling to draw 17,000 to their beautiful stadium in Schaumburg, the City of Chicago could open up Wrigley as a beer garden during the summer. They could book "Mike and Joe" and "Underwater People" to do concerts over the weekend and let people on the lawn, just like Ravinia, to drink cheap beer and listen to the tunes. They could put a dancefloor behind home plate, just like some of the bars at U of I had, so all of the frat boys and sorority girls could dance like they did back in the day. I'm telling you, this has possibilities!

Brian26
08-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Daley and his lords & ladies would have a major nationwide PR problem on their hands if they shut it down without a compelling safety argument.

And can you imagine the PR nightmare if they turned their heads on this and someone eventually got killed by a chunk of falling concrete? You think the porch collapses got some negative heat on City Hall? Something like this happening at a game would have heads rolling for years. Daley's looking out for the best interests of the city on this one.

tebman
08-23-2004, 01:45 PM
And can you imagine the PR nightmare if they turned their heads on this and someone eventually got killed by a chunk of falling concrete? You think the porch collapses got some negative heat on City Hall? Something like this happening at a game would have heads rolling for years. Daley's looking out for the best interests of the city on this one.Oh yeah -- absolutely! That's what I was saying...if it was a genuine public safety hazard even with the nets installed, they'd have to shut it down. But at least three different engineering companies have looked at it since this came up and they haven't found structural problems. So if the city shut it down even after it got an OK from structural engineers, then they'd have a PR problem.

To be sure, the building department is looking out for public safety. The sideshow part of this is Daley loudly pointing fingers at the Tribune. And that's fun to watch. :D:

- tebman

PaleHoseGeorge
08-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Not sure why so many of you want to see Wrigley torn down. If it happens, look for the Cubs to build a new stadium on the lakefront or simply rebuild Wrigley on it's current location. The attention their new stadium would get would be the perfect opportunity for the media to slam the Sox for not doing it right when they had the chance. Be very careful what you wish for.
You worry too much. The Chicago Cubs will *never* get a downtown ballpark built as long as Rich Daley is mayor and another MLB team is playing at 35th & Shields. There is no way anything in this town gets built without his approval. Just ask the Bears.

Of course if the Flubbies/Cubune are willing to *share* the new downtown ballpark, the mayor (and all the other politicians) will spare no expense to make it the jewel of the city. Naturally the Flubbies will never go for this. They want the built-in advantage of having a "better" ballpark than the Sox, and the bleating sheep who slavishly follow that team will believe whatever bull**** the Cubune serves up. For example...

:chimp
"Rocket shot to deep center! CAUGHT in short right field by the secondbasemen! Wow! What excitement here at BEAUT-IFUL Wrigley Field!"

:lynch&mcfail
"The good news is our engineering report confirms the Cubs fan died from being struck on the head by an ORNAMENTAL piece of concrete, not structural. Today's game will go on as scheduled at 1:05 pm. Everybody from Iowa should arrive early to catch their charter bus!"

Pfft... downtown Cubs. Try more like Schaumburg Cubs, CWW. :cool:

:hizzoner
"My kid will make the best-possible deal for the city, not the Tribune. Either the Sox get something out of this or the Cubs can kiss the mistletoe hanging from my coattails."

kittle42
08-23-2004, 01:56 PM
I was thinking about this the other day walking by The Shrine. There is no way they could rebuild a park there. Where else in the city would they put it? They'd have to go to the 'burbs.

CWWTWS1
08-23-2004, 02:03 PM
George,

Money talks. If the Cubs want a new park, they WILL get it. Daley is battling the Tribune here, not just a regular schmo like say Mark Cuban. Like I said, if the Cubs ever get a new park, you would NEVER hear the end of it.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-23-2004, 02:08 PM
George,

Money talks. If the Cubs want a new park, they WILL get it. Daley is battling the Tribune here, not just a regular schmo like say Mark Cuban. Like I said, if the Cubs ever get a new park, you would NEVER hear the end of it.Bull****. Votes talk. If the Cubune thinks it can get Rich Daley thrown from office, let them try. That outfit has a lot more at stake than simply protecting its Lovable Loser baseball division to consider.

:kukoo:

"If the Bears move to Arlington Heights, they can't use the name Chicago. And if the Cubs move to Schaumburg, neither can they! And that downtown ballpark we were going to build for both the Sox and Cubs, well we'll just build it exclusively for the WHITE SOX. After all, they're Chicago's only team!"

Oh, brother... I guarantee the people running the Cubune are smarter than you are, CWW.

:dtroll:

CWWTWS1
08-23-2004, 02:14 PM
George,

When you say if the Cubs were willing to "share" a new park, are you saying share it with the White Sox? Oh, I'm not saying the Tribune would ever try and run RD out of town, I'm saying that what would Daley have to gain by getting into a pissing match with the Tribune?

PaleHoseGeorge
08-23-2004, 02:27 PM
George,

When you say if the Cubs were willing to "share" a new park, are you saying share it with the White Sox? Oh, I'm not saying the Tribune would ever try and run RD out of town, I'm saying that what would Daley have to gain by getting into a pissing match with the Tribune?Daley will drive the best-possible bargain for the city. So yes, the price of a downtown ballpark for the Cubs would be a shared facility with the White Sox. It's having *two* viable in-town franchises that makes Chicago (with NYC) unique. Daley will not go along with any plan that gives the Flubs a downtown ballpark while the Sox are left on the South Side. It would be suicide for holding onto a second team-- namely, the Sox. The mayor won't stand for it.

Downtown ballpark exclusively for the Cubs? Cubune, you can fergetaboutit.

Though their bleating sheep fans are dumb enough to want it, the Cubune's accountants aren't dumb enough to want to build a new ballpark at Clark & Addison. The site is too small. The ballpark would be obsolete from the moment it opened. As for finding a larger site inside the city, all roads lead right back to the mayor's office... and he has his own ideas in mind.
:cool:

"An absolutely beautiful, state-of-the art downtown ballpark for both the Sox and Cubs would be *great* for the City of Shee-cah-guh... maybe we'll build an airport out on the lake, too."

That leaves the Cubune with exactly two options:

1.) Deal with the mayor on terms he is willing to negotiate, or
2.) Move to the suburbs.

Either way, the Sox are big winners.
:bandance:

CWWTWS1
08-23-2004, 02:36 PM
George,

If that ever happened, what would happen to the Cell? Furthermore, can you imagine sharing the same park with Cubs fans? WOW!

Welcome to beautiful Richard M. Daley field. Home of the Chicago White Sox, err, I mean Chicago Cubs, err I mean White Sox:)

TornLabrum
08-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Daley will drive the best-possible bargain for the city. So yes, the price of a downtown ballpark for the Cubs would be a shared facility with the White Sox. It's having *two* viable in-town franchises that makes Chicago (with NYC) unique. Daley will not go along with any plan that gives the Flubs a downtown ballpark while the Sox are left on the South Side. It would be suicide for holding onto a second team-- namely, the Sox. The mayor won't stand for it.

Downtown ballpark exclusively for the Cubs? Cubune, you can fergetaboutit.

Though they're bleating sheep fans are dumb enough to want it, the Cubune's accountants aren't dumb enough to want to build a new ballpark at Clark & Addison. The site is too small. The ballpark would be obsolete from the moment it opened. As for finding a larger site inside the city, all roads lead right back to the mayor's office... and he has his own ideas in mind.

"An absolutely beautiful, state-of-the art downtown ballpark for both the Sox and Cubs would be *great* for the City of Shee-cah-guh... maybe we'll build an airport out on the lake, too."

That leaves the Cubune with exactly two options:

1.) Deal with the mayor on terms he is willing to negotiate, or
2.) Move to the suburbs.

Either way, the Sox are big winners.
As I recall, back in the '60s Da Mare had plans for an airport in Lake Michigan. Maybe we could scale that down to a ball park at the bottom of Lake Michigan.

:supernana::bandance: :supernana::bandance: :supernana:

pinwheels3530
08-23-2004, 03:30 PM

Just what I was thinking.

CLR01
08-23-2004, 04:23 PM
George,

If that ever happened, what would happen to the Cell?

Welcome to beautiful US Cellular Field, home of the Chicago Fire.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Welcome to beautiful US Cellular Field, home of the Chicago Fire.Yep CLR, that's exactly what I was thinking, too. Lord knows there were enough obnoxious footy fans invading WSI two years ago when they thought the Fire were about to start playing games in our ballpark.

:reinsy
"I put a quick end to all that nonsense, eh Sox Fans?"

Here are some possible uses for the Cell after the Sox move into their new ballpark, the state of the art, "Richard J. Daley Baseball Palace of the World" at Columbus & Balbo.
:wink:

1.) Home field for MSL's Chicago Fire.
2.) Cook County fairgrounds.
3.) McCormick Place Annex.
4.) Magikist "Giant Lips" Memorial Center & Neon Signage Hall of Fame Museum.
5.) Tractor pulls and Demolition Derby.
6.) Mall Bigger Than Mall of America.
7.) NFL/College All-Stars charity football game.
8.) Northwestern "home" games vs. Notre Dame.
9.) Hyde Park cricket club.
10.) New home for U-505 exhibit (on loan from MoS&I).

The possibilities are truly endless.