PDA

View Full Version : Borchard Question

balke
08-22-2004, 06:10 PM
I didn't pay attention to the minors at all when Borchard was there, and still don't really. But I remember on the boards people talked about him being in a huge slump in AAA. DId he just move to AAA this season? Did pitchers figure him out? Did he get Injured? Or did he just forget how to play baseball? Any incite would be helpful, cause for all the talk about this guy last year, and him being so protected... I think it's obvious he just sucks.

soxtalker
08-22-2004, 06:29 PM
I didn't pay attention to the minors at all when Borchard was there, and still don't really. But I remember on the boards people talked about him being in a huge slump in AAA. DId he just move to AAA this season? Did pitchers figure him out? Did he get Injured? Or did he just forget how to play baseball? Any incite would be helpful, cause for all the talk about this guy last year, and him being so protected... I think it's obvious he just sucks.
Well, your last statement seems to be the almost unanimous opinion outside of the Sox organization (including their captive media).

He struggled in the minors, but he did seem to improve this past year. IIRC, he was injured in the minors, and that impeded his progress. Even though he seems to be having a lot of problems now, I believe that he is better this time around than last time.

MisterB
08-22-2004, 06:32 PM
I didn't pay attention to the minors at all when Borchard was there, and still don't really. But I remember on the boards people talked about him being in a huge slump in AAA. DId he just move to AAA this season? Did pitchers figure him out? Did he get Injured? Or did he just forget how to play baseball? Any incite would be helpful, cause for all the talk about this guy last year, and him being so protected... I think it's obvious he just sucks.This season was Borchard's 3rd at AAA. He's had injuries over that time (fractured foot, wrist tendonitis, back spasms,...). The main problem is that Borchard is effectively a 'project' player. He has a great deal of athleticism, but due to his splitting time between baseball and football his baseball skills coming out of college were barely above high school level. At least that's what I've put together from various reports on him.

gosox41
08-23-2004, 10:01 AM
:redneck This season was Borchard's 3rd at AAA. He's had injuries over that time (fractured foot, wrist tendonitis, back spasms,...). The main problem is that Borchard is effectively a 'project' player. He has a great deal of athleticism, but due to his splitting time between baseball and football his baseball skills coming out of college were barely above high school level. At least that's what I've put together from various reports on him.

I've read the same thing and get the same impression. I haven't given up on Joe, but I wonder if the theory of drafting a wonderfully gifted athlete with limited baseball skills for a guy his age and then giving hm $5 mill. as a signing bonus is the wisest move for this team.

Bob

soxtalker
08-23-2004, 10:11 AM
:redneck

I've read the same thing and get the same impression. I haven't given up on Joe, but I wonder if the theory of drafting a wonderfully gifted athlete with limited baseball skills for a guy his age and then giving hm $5 mill. as a signing bonus is the wisest move for this team.

Bob
I have a hard time believing that the $5 million signing bonus is the only thing making the Sox stay with Borchard. That's sunk cost, and, while they may regret it, you'd expect them to be looking at the current value. Nonetheless, they've stuck with him, keeping him and allowing Reed to depart. It just seems like the organization feels that he will still turn things around. If they didn't, they probably could have traded him many times.