PDA

View Full Version : Lay Off Garland

Etownsox13
08-22-2004, 07:06 PM
There have been too many threads criticizing Garland in the past few days. I realize that the reason that everyone is so disapointed with the way that he has pitched this season because the organization has laid out such high expectations for him the past few seasons. I mean, the guys is only 24 I believe. That's a baby as far as major league pitchers go. I say we should give him a little more time to grow. I've seen some great starts from the guy this year, and his comments about thursday's game notwithstanding, he has been fairly stable this year. I have a feeling that he is going to have a breakout year coming up very soon.

voodoochile
08-22-2004, 07:12 PM
There have been too many threads criticizing Garland in the past few days. I realize that the reason that everyone is so disapointed with the way that he has pitched this season because the organization has laid out such high expectations for him the past few seasons. I mean, the guys is only 24 I believe. That's a baby as far as major league pitchers go. I say we should give him a little more time to grow. I've seen some great starts from the guy this year, and his comments about thursday's game notwithstanding, he has been fairly stable this year. I have a feeling that he is going to have a breakout year coming up very soon.
Judy is that you?:rolleyes:

SomebodyToldMe
08-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Judy is that you?:rolleyes:
:jon
"That's just the way I post."

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Actually, the criticism of Garland (at least from me) isn't for how he has pitched (lousy), but the things he has said absolving himself of blame for pitching lousy.

Garland showed up his manager when Guillen had the temerity to suggest his pitcher needs to step up, stop nibbling, and get aggressive.
"That's just how I pitch."

Garland called out his own teammates when he lost (again) this past week.
"Actually I think the four unearned runs had more to do with the loss."

And of course there is Garland baiting the fans and -- unbelievably stupid, given what he said above -- claiming he pitches for his teammates.
"I pitch for my teammates, not the fans."

Garland has rocks in his head. There ain't nuthin' about his pitching mechanics that will ever make up for a weak brain.
Head case --------------> :jon

:bkoch:
"What a spineless piece of ****. Even I was man enough to own up to pitching lousy, and I never tried to blame my manager, my teammates, or the fans no matter how bad it got."

:JB
"Anybody comparing my heart and attitude to that spineless piece of **** ought to have their head examined."

:jaime :valet
"We need another parking cars out here, Jonnie boy!"

balke
08-22-2004, 07:41 PM
Actually, the criticism of Garland (at least from me) isn't for how he has pitched (lousy), but the things he has said absolving himself of blame for pitching lousy.

Garland showed up his manager when Guillen had the temerity to suggest his pitcher needs to step up, stop nibbling, and get aggressive.
"That's just how I pitch."

Garland called out his own teammates when he lost (again) this past week.
"Actually I think the four unearned runs had more to do with the loss."

And of course there is Garland baiting the fans and -- unbelievably stupid, given what he said above -- claiming he pitches for his teammates.
"I pitch for my teammates, not the fans."

Garland has rocks in his head. There ain't nuthin' about his pitching mechanics that will ever make up for a weak brain.
Head case --------------> :jon

:bkoch:
"What a spineless piece of ****. Even I was man enough to own up to pitching lousy, and I never tried to blame my manager, my teammates, or the fans no matter how bad it got."

:JB
"Anybody comparing my heart and attitude to that spineless piece of **** ought to have their head examined."

:jaime :valet
"We need another parking cars out here, Jonnie boy!"

HEH! Do you think he's the One player that doesn't want to be here, that KW talked about at the season's beginning?

Parrothead
08-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Now that comment should be in teal......:rolling:

guillen4life13
08-22-2004, 09:36 PM
HEH! Do you think he's the One player that doesn't want to be here, that KW talked about at the season's beginning?
Well, he wouldn't have signed a contract if he didn't want to stay, now would he have?

Iguana775
08-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Well, he wouldn't have signed a contract if he didn't want to stay, now would he have?maybe he figured he would have a good year and get a bigger payday this offseason, is he a FA or still under contract after this year?, than last. was he a FA last offseason?

South Side
08-22-2004, 10:19 PM
There is a reason why he was the first person to be called into Ozzie's office in a long time...

Dick Allen
08-22-2004, 10:28 PM
OK, sorry Mrs. Garland, we'll lay off of him.

stosh
08-22-2004, 10:29 PM
24 or not, the guy has been a starter for at least 4 years. This pitching good for a few innings then losing it has gone on long enough. Time to crap or get off the pot.

kitekrazy
08-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Lay off Garland (thread title) How about releasing him instead.

StockdaleForVeep
08-23-2004, 03:26 AM
He is a career .500 like pitcher with a 4-5 ERA. He is Jaime Navarro just only sucking half the time and can last more than 3 inns before imploding like a neutron star

Im bettin the cards are laughin now that they didnt do jd drew for gar gar

AnkleSox
08-23-2004, 04:04 AM
I have a feeling that he is going to have a breakout year coming up very soon. I'm pretty sure people were saying 02, then 03, and then 04 were going to be his breakout years. Let him pitch for a developing team who have the chance to wait for him to have his "breakout year". The sox by all means should have won this division 4 years in a row but have failed because of too much money and faith put into eternally mediocre players who bring the others down with them.

ChiSoxBobette
08-23-2004, 07:38 AM
Blah,Blah,Blah the guy has a great arm, he's only 24 , he's got great potential . THE GUY IS A CEMENT HEAD. I've listened to that garbage about this guy for 3 years first it was he's only 21 ,so ok will give him a break, then it was he's only 22 and look at the great arm the guy has, so ok maybe he just needs to mature a little, last year it was he just turned 23 and if he can just get by that one inning where he go's brain dead he'll be an 18/20 game winner. Well now he's 24 and he still does the same stupid things hes done in the past when everyone just put it off to being young , the guy has been in the majors for 4 years now and before when he just kept his mouth shut it was'nt so bad but now he's telling everyone its not his fault, he plays for himself, he does'nt care about the fans. CEMENT HEAD!Break out year we've been waiting at the very least two years for this guys breakout year.
BYE JONNY!

34 Inch Stick
08-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Jimmy Piersoll evaluated it correctly several years ago before Garland came up to the big leagues. He said Garland has no stones. As crazy as Jimmy is, he really is a good evaluater of talent.

gosox41
08-23-2004, 10:55 AM
maybe he figured he would have a good year and get a bigger payday this offseason, is he a FA or still under contract after this year?, than last. was he a FA last offseason?
Garland was eligible for arbitration last season and still is after this season.

Bob