PDA

View Full Version : Good News/Bad News on Ordonez

Wealz
08-22-2004, 11:53 AM
A note from today's New York Newsday:

Magglio Ordoņez might not be the best Mets target after all. Word is his knee condition is quite serious. Reinsdorf is a fan and might try to keep him with an incentive-laden deal now.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spflash223939269aug22,0,3969115.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

DVsoxfan
08-22-2004, 11:58 AM
I think we should try to sign him again. He wants to stay here, and we want him here. It's obvious now that his value has gone down from his injury. Magglio's work ethic is outstanding, and though I don't know much about his injury from a doctors standpoint, I think it's safe to say that Maggs will work his tail off to get back to the form he was in prior to this injury. He's the kind of player you want on our team. He has a great work ethic, doesn't complain, and doesn't ask for attention. He just goes about his business and tries to be the best player he can be. I still think we need to keep him around for the rest of his career.

DickAllen72
08-22-2004, 12:01 PM
What's the good news?

NonetheLoaiza
08-22-2004, 12:03 PM
What's the good news?
That Joe Borchard will be starting in right field in the meantime?

StepsInSC
08-22-2004, 12:05 PM
What's the good news?
I guess the fact that he would remain here assuming this lowers his value.

iwannago
08-22-2004, 12:53 PM
That Joe Borchard will be starting in right field in the meantime?
Shouldn't that be in Teal?

bafiarocks03
08-22-2004, 01:04 PM
i say we sign maggs too...ok i've been saying that for a long time now...we need him.....:D:

jabrch
08-22-2004, 01:34 PM
He wants to stay here, and we want him here.
I don't think either of these statements are true. If he wanted to stay here, he'd have taken the generous offers he was made earlier. And if we wanted him here before, we surely don't nearly as much now given his potentially career threatening injury.

michned
08-22-2004, 01:59 PM
I don't think either of these statements are true. If he wanted to stay here, he'd have taken the generous offers he was made earlier. And if we wanted him here before, we surely don't nearly as much now given his potentially career threatening injury.
Without being on the inside, we don't know how much he thought about taking the offer. If he trusts his agent, his agent might have been saying, "Hey, you're worth more than that, you should test the market this winter."

Soxzilla
08-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Precisely.

And don't give me that agent BS, if he wanted to stay here so bad he would have told his agent to go fist himself. He's just a money grubbing whore like the rest of this nation.

I say we boot his candy ass.

jabrch
08-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Precisely.

And don't give me that agent BS, if he wanted to stay here so bad he would have told his agent to go fist himself. He's just a money grubbing whore like the rest of this nation.

That would be his Roooody Poooooo Candy Ass...

And yes, after the complete lack of loyalty he showed to us, I'd make him leave and try and find another franchise willing to invest/risk money in a guy with a potential career ending injury.

He had a chance to get 3 years guaranteed and a 4th year based on his performance. His failure to accept those terms now leaves him in a position where he will likely not get anything CLOSE to what he was offered. I feel sorry for him - the same way I felt sorry when Donald Trump lost his credit card on the TV commercials.

soxfanreggie
08-22-2004, 03:12 PM
I think there would be a team out there like the Yankees or mets that would sign Mags to a big contract. We would be smart to give him an incentive-laden one. If not, why not go after Carlos Beltran or someone like that. If Mags really thinks he can perform to whatever standards, he should be rewarded with nice bonuses. However, he knows he would be getting far less money should he not play well or get injured. He should have enough money saved up to be more than set for the next few hundred years. However, why not go for someone a lot younger if Mags won't sign? Beltran is 27 and is playing solid baseball like Mags did. He's making 9 million a year in Houston this season. I'd offer him what we were offering Mags...or close to it. A nice deal.

losingugly2004
08-22-2004, 03:20 PM
That would be his Roooody Poooooo Candy Ass...

And yes, after the complete lack of loyalty he showed to us, I'd make him leave and try and find another franchise willing to invest/risk money in a guy with a potential career ending injury.

He had a chance to get 3 years guaranteed and a 4th year based on his performance. His failure to accept those terms now leaves him in a position where he will likely not get anything CLOSE to what he was offered. I feel sorry for him - the same way I felt sorry when Donald Trump lost his credit card on the TV commercials.Am I missing something here? Wasn't it the White Sox who tried to trade Magglio during the off season in an aborted attempt to land Garciaparra? Magglio got a taste of Reinsdorf loyalty then, and when the season is over, I wouldn't blame him one bit if he skipped town without looking back at the train wreck that this year's team has become.

jabrch
08-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Am I missing something here? Wasn't it the White Sox who tried to trade Magglio during the off season in an aborted attmpt to land Garciaparra? Magglio got a taste of Reinsdorf loyalty then, and when the season is over, I wouldn't blame him one bit if he skipped town without looking back at the train wreck that this years team has become.
You are missing the part where Magglio decided he did not want to sign an extension to his deal - and that he refused to take what was offered (by all reports - it was not chopped liver) because he wanted to go to be a FA. You are missing the part where he failed to accept a deal because the final year was incentive laden - since that year would not have been insurable.

He's welcome to leave town any time he likes. This team failed this year for a number of reasons. If Magglio feels that he can be happier elsewhere, good riddance. He turned down incredible wealth and a place that loved him because the deal (estimated between 50-60mm over 4 years) wasn't good enough for him. I don't care what he does from now on. But I hope we don't tie up a lot of money in a guy with a potentially career limiting injury.

thezeker
08-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Am I missing something here? Wasn't it the White Sox who tried to trade Magglio during the off season in an aborted attmpt to land Garciaparra? Magglio got a taste of Reinsdorf loyalty then, and when the season is over, I wouldn't blame him one bit if he skipped town without looking back at the train wreck that this years team has become.There is no loyalty in sports anymore. It is a business plain and simple.

Williams thought he could better the team with Garciaparra and save a few million this year to boot.

Maggs saw a much bigger payday than the White Sox offered him. Once the cards were played they were both losers but Maggs is the biggest loser.

I hope we do not make the mistake of bringing him back next year at any price. From the little I can comprehend about his injury I think the best we could expect would be for Maggs to be a DH next year. With Thomas certain to come back next year at 8 million we do not need another slow footed right handed DH on this team.

I wish Maggs the best and hope he comes back and plays near the same level he gave us but since sports is a business I hope someone else takes the risk. This is no time for blind sentiment.

dickallen15
08-22-2004, 04:44 PM
I don't think either of these statements are true. If he wanted to stay here, he'd have taken the generous offers he was made earlier. And if we wanted him here before, we surely don't nearly as much now given his potentially career threatening injury.I can tell you as a fact Magglio wants to stay in Chicago, and has zero interest in playing for the Cubs. You called the White Sox offer generous. How can you do that if you don't know what it was? If you are going bywhat KW is saying that it was close to what he was asking, you would be wrong. Magglio's agents are running the show, no question about it. They thought he had a higher value than the White Sox offer. Maybe, injury-free, they were right. However, a terrible collision has bit them in the behind. They played a game of chicken and lost. Magglio is a good person, anybody who has ever dealt with him will tell you that. If he doesn't play again, he'll still be alright financially, no one will be holding any tag days for him. Instead of all the negativity about him and a negotiation that isn't reported 100% accurately, you maybe should just hope for his sake, a good man's sake, that his knee will heal well enough so he'll be able to resume his career whether it be with the White Sox or somebody else.

SoxPAguy
08-22-2004, 04:56 PM
You are missing the part where Magglio decided he did not want to sign an extension to his deal - and that he refused to take what was offered (by all reports - it was not chopped liver) because he wanted to go to be a FA. You are missing the part where he failed to accept a deal because the final year was incentive laden - since that year would not have been insurable.

He's welcome to leave town any time he likes. This team failed this year for a number of reasons. If Magglio feels that he can be happier elsewhere, good riddance. He turned down incredible wealth and a place that loved him because the deal (estimated between 50-60mm over 4 years) wasn't good enough for him. I don't care what he does from now on. But I hope we don't tie up a lot of money in a guy with a potentially career limiting injury.
I read that the breaker in the deal was the 5th year $$ being deffered not incentive laden. Maggs wanted all the money up front. Not that the $$ was not guranteed it was just deferred with some interest for future years. Maggs wanted everything up front the sox offered 4 straight up and the 5th with deffered and that was the end of that. I dont recall ever reading the deal was incentive laden and thats why he didn't sign.

Iguana775
08-22-2004, 04:57 PM
What's the good news?
Jerry saved hundreds on car insurance by switching to Geico.

guillen4life13
08-22-2004, 05:04 PM
Jerry saved hundreds on car insurance by switching to Geico.post the day? anyone?

mymanmaggs30
08-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Precisely.

excuse me?? dont even talk that way. if you were a sox fan u'd want them to sign maggs as soon as possible!! uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!:mad: :angry:

bc2k
08-22-2004, 05:27 PM
post the day? anyone?
i'll second that one. good work Iguana.

thezeker
08-22-2004, 05:28 PM
excuse me?? dont even talk that way. if you were a sox fan u'd want them to sign maggs as soon as possible!! uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!:mad: :angry:
We're all SOX fans. That's what make this board great.

Different opinions. :angry: :angry:

balke
08-22-2004, 06:06 PM
I think the majority of Sox fans want the 9-12 mil Maggs. Not the 13-15 mil maggs.

SOx probably won't spend money next year, How can they feel confidence in this team right now? There's question marks everywhere. IF Maggs wants big bucks, I think we'll save money in the reconstruction, and let him go. Kenny coming out in the media and saying that next year's team will be much different is a hint that maggs is gone IMO. Heck, Even Frank might be out the door, which I think would be moronic. We'll see.

Flight #24
08-22-2004, 07:29 PM
I read that the breaker in the deal was the 5th year $$ being deffered not incentive laden. Maggs wanted all the money up front. Not that the $$ was not guranteed it was just deferred with some interest for future years. Maggs wanted everything up front the sox offered 4 straight up and the 5th with deffered and that was the end of that. I dont recall ever reading the deal was incentive laden and thats why he didn't sign.
That's what I heard as well from the various media reports. Much lesser reported (although noted here by some more knowledgable than I) is that the current CBA only allows deferrals 2 years past the end of the contract. So the "5th year deferral" was 2 years, which carries minimal financial cost to Maggs, but provides the team some slight flexibility in yr5.

That that was the problem (reportedly), makes me think he's a)not interested in staying, or b)interested in getting the maximum contract, even if it's $1 more somewhere else.

Bucktown
08-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Jerry saved hundreds on car insurance by switching to Geico.Too funny.

Iguana775
08-22-2004, 09:15 PM
i'll second that one. good work Iguana.thanks guys! i feel honored! :)

:supernana: :dtroll:

I'm just surprised no one else thought of it first.

whitesoxwilkes
08-22-2004, 11:30 PM
thanks guys! i feel honored! :)

:supernana: :dtroll:

I'm just surprised no one else thought of it first.
POTW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)it is.

JoseCanseco6969
08-22-2004, 11:47 PM
uhhhh nooooo. I am a sox fan and no i didnt want them to overpay for a semi superstar, especially one with a terrible knee condition that will never fully recover. I'm sorry if he is your man maggs but lets be realistic and not play favorites.

StillMissOzzie
08-23-2004, 12:10 AM
That's what I heard as well from the various media reports. Much lesser reported (although noted here by some more knowledgable than I) is that the current CBA only allows deferrals 2 years past the end of the contract. So the "5th year deferral" was 2 years, which carries minimal financial cost to Maggs, but provides the team some slight flexibility in yr5.

That that was the problem (reportedly), makes me think he's a)not interested in staying, or b)interested in getting the maximum contract, even if it's $1 more somewhere else.
I have another question for those of you who understand the CBA and arbitration and all it's intricacies. If the Sox were to offer Maggs arbitration, would the minimum salary he could get be based on 80% of his $14M salary for 2004? If so, that comes out to $11.2M, and I don't think the Sox would want to risk that much on a pig in a poke w/r/t his recovery.

SMO
:whiner:

Whitesox029
08-23-2004, 12:35 AM
What KW needs to do is give him whatever number of years he is looking for in exchange for Ordonez taking whatever amount KW offers him per year. With the injury, Maggs will have a much tougher time finding someone who will sign him long-term as opposed to finding someone who will pay a lot per year.

JB98
08-23-2004, 01:17 AM
I think there would be a team out there like the Yankees or mets that would sign Mags to a big contract. We would be smart to give him an incentive-laden one. If not, why not go after Carlos Beltran or someone like that. If Mags really thinks he can perform to whatever standards, he should be rewarded with nice bonuses. However, he knows he would be getting far less money should he not play well or get injured. He should have enough money saved up to be more than set for the next few hundred years. However, why not go for someone a lot younger if Mags won't sign? Beltran is 27 and is playing solid baseball like Mags did. He's making 9 million a year in Houston this season. I'd offer him what we were offering Mags...or close to it. A nice deal.
Beltran is batting .245 for Houston, and he hasn't exactly resuscitated that team. He has a lot of tools, but he's never played in a pennant race. I'm not exactly sure why everyone has such a hard-on for him. The Yankees are prepared to pay him a king's ransom. I wouldn't get into a bidding war with New York over Beltran.

I'm torn about Maggs. He's a homegrown superstar, and I'd love to see him spend his whole career on the South Side. But I just can't justify giving him a multi-year deal given the severity of his injury. We don't need a Mo Vaughn or Albert Belle-like situation here. I'd like to give him an incentive-laden deal, but chances are, a team with deeper pockets is going to come along and offer Maggs guaranteed money. I don't think it would be wise to take that chance.

jabrch
08-23-2004, 01:52 AM
You called the White Sox offer generous. How can you do that if you don't know what it was?
Because the sticking point, as reported by numerous sources, was the final year and if it was guaranteed or if it was incentive based. In any case, if the deal was 10mm, 11mm, 13mm or 15mm, it was more than fair. Maggs wanted Vlad type money. He wasn't worth it.

Magglio's agents are running the show, no question about it. They thought he had a higher value than the White Sox offer.

Then Magglio should fire them. If as you say he wanted to stay in Chicago, then they should have settled on something during the season while the team was more than willing to sign him to a lucrative and long term deal rather than haggle over 7-10% extra. I earn under 6 figures - and I wouldn't haggle over that % to the point where it would cost me a job. For a man who has already made the sort of wealth that he has, this was a foolish decision on his part to allow his representation to do that to him - if that is the case.

They played a game of chicken and lost.

with a bus...in the middle of traffic. Seeing the downside was easy. The upside was 7-10% Think about it...

Magglio is a good person, anybody who has ever dealt with him will tell you that.

I am sure that's the case. He seems that way.

If he doesn't play again, he'll still be alright financially, no one will be holding any tag days for him.
No doubt - that's why he should have, if this was what he wanted, made it happen a long time ago rather than nickle and dime the team and the fans.

Instead of all the negativity about him and a negotiation that isn't reported 100% accurately,
No way of reporting a situation where he turned down 10/11/12/13/14mm for 3/4/5 years guaranteed/deferred/incentivized in the last year can make him look good in my eyes. None - whatsoever.

you maybe should just hope for his sake, a good man's sake, that his knee will heal well enough so he'll be able to resume his career whether it be with the White Sox or somebody else.

I don't think I said/implied anything other than that. If I did - it was unintentional. I sure hope he is OK and plays very well somewhere else next year. I just don't want it to be for us. After his lack of loyalty to us when he was healthy, I have no interest in gambling while he is hurt.

Iguana775
08-23-2004, 07:25 AM
POTW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)it is.
:dtroll: :supernana: :gulp:

illiniwhitesox
08-23-2004, 08:03 AM
I'm glad, for one, that the White Sox did not sign Maggs as of today. It was a respectable offer that was proffered (see Vlad's contract) and Maggs turned it down.

Regardless of whether or not Maggs signs with us or we make an offer, at least we are in a position where we did not take a large chunk of money and lock ourselves into a position that we can not extricate ourselves from.

We are now in the position to monitor Magg's rehab, check the knee out and make a decision. If we sign him to a contract - great. I'll feel better about it than if he signed the contract and then was injured. We would react to the news today of a possible "Career Ending Injury" quite differently in that situation.

$70MM can buy you a lotta love from a number of different players. Let's just sit back and see how his knee checks out before we ink a contract.

Deadguy
08-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Without being on the inside, we don't know how much he thought about taking the offer. If he trusts his agent, his agent might have been saying, "Hey, you're worth more than that, you should test the market this winter."
Oh please. Quit being so naive. The agent works for Magglio, not vice verca. If he wanted to be here, he would have told his agent to tie up the loose ends and get a deal finalized. Instead, he waited around, and gave absolutely no intention that he was going to do anything but test the Free Agent market and go to the highest bidder. Not to slam Magglio now that his career is in jeopardy, and he priced himself out of potentionally 10s of millions of dollars, it is unlikely too many people here are going to feel bad for him if he returns with his tail between his legs, and signs an incentive laden one year deal.

Tekijawa
08-23-2004, 08:55 AM
If the injury is serious enough to scare away a team that has wanted him for 3 years now, then I'm guessing that anything at even half of what he wanted would be a huge gamble.... I'm personally sick of bringing in Gambles every year, lest go get a sure thing!!!

soxtalker
08-23-2004, 09:33 AM
If the injury is serious enough to scare away a team that has wanted him for 3 years now, then I'm guessing that anything at even half of what he wanted would be a huge gamble.... I'm personally sick of bringing in Gambles every year, lest go get a sure thing!!!
There are very few, if any, sure things. Whatever the decision, there is still some risk.

Maggs is a perfect example. He was as close to a sure thing (though maybe not at the price) as any player; we knew him very well, he was very consistent, etc. If he'd agreed to a contract earlier in the year, we would now be committed to paying a big chunk of salary for the next 5 years for a player who might not be able to play.

Injury, however, is not the only reason for failures of "sure bets". The Yankees are able to go out and sign players almost at will, and they still have major problems. Their coffers are large enough, however, that they can often bring in another player and eat the salary of the players that don't work out.

gosox41
08-23-2004, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=DVsoxfan]I think we should try to sign him again. He wants to stay here, and we want him here. It's obvious now that his value has gone down from his injury. Magglio's work ethic is outstanding, and though I don't know much about his injury from a doctors standpoint, I think it's safe to say that Maggs will work his tail off to get back to the form he was in prior to this injury. He's the kind of player you want on our team. He has a great work ethic, doesn't complain, and doesn't ask for attention. He just goes about his business and tries to be the best player he can be. I still think we need to

A one year incentive laden contract is all I'd give him. Based on what I read about his knee injury, I don't think all the hard work in the world can prevent degeneration of the knee and arthritis.

Bob

gosox41
08-23-2004, 09:49 AM
Am I missing something here? Wasn't it the White Sox who tried to trade Magglio during the off season in an aborted attempt to land Garciaparra? Magglio got a taste of Reinsdorf loyalty then, and when the season is over, I wouldn't blame him one bit if he skipped town without looking back at the train wreck that this year's team has become.
Oh poor Magglio. His ego is hurt because he was almost traded. Boo Hoo.

Welcome to the world of baseball. It's not like he'd be the first player or even star player traded because he is so insistent on testing the market when he's a free agent. Where's his loyalty?

Bob

TornLabrum
08-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Oh poor Magglio. His ego is hurt because he was almost traded. Boo Hoo.

Welcome to the world of baseball. It's not like he'd be the first player or even star player traded because he is so insistent on testing the market when he's a free agent. Where's his loyalty?

Bob
Same place as Kenny Williams'.

Tekijawa
08-23-2004, 09:58 AM
There are very few, if any, sure things. Whatever the decision, there is still some risk.

Maggs is a perfect example. He was as close to a sure thing (though maybe not at the price) as any player; we knew him very well, he was very consistent, etc. If he'd agreed to a contract earlier in the year, we would now be committed to paying a big chunk of salary for the next 5 years for a player who might not be able to play.

Injury, however, is not the only reason for failures of "sure bets". The Yankees are able to go out and sign players almost at will, and they still have major problems. Their coffers are large enough, however, that they can often bring in another player and eat the salary of the players that don't work out.
I guess you missed my point... Maggs was a "sure thing" 3 months ago. He is no longer there. If we were going to go out and spend money on a player, I would rather have a guy who wasn't injurred this year... No Knee troubles, Back spasams, comming off of Tommy John surgery. These are the guys that we always go after and try and catch lightning in a bottle. Would I Like Maggs back next year, yes! but I'd probably feel a lot better going after a lesser RF knowing "for sure" that we could pencil him into the line up every day, as opposed to what could be just eating a somewhat large contract for a year, waiting for his knee to heal.... Another thing to concider is that we are getting older and our "window" is closing with the current "talent" we have on this team. Indians and Tigers look primed for the next few years, so we better get QUALITY HEALTHY PLAYERS for next year or we shoudl start the cycle of rebuilding all over again, in either of those situations, barring maggs coming back for an extremely low incentive laden deal, he doesn't fit.

Flight #24
08-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Am I missing something here? Wasn't it the White Sox who tried to trade Magglio during the off season in an aborted attempt to land Garciaparra? Magglio got a taste of Reinsdorf loyalty then, and when the season is over, I wouldn't blame him one bit if he skipped town without looking back at the train wreck that this year's team has become.
Didn't it already seem like Maggs wanted more than he was a)worth and b)the team had the ability to offer?

If in initial negotiations, Maggs sticks on Vlady money and no deferrals/incentives, I don't believe it's disloyal of the team to entertain trade discussions on him. Especially for a guy who's arguably a better player (if healthy). I'd rather have Maggs, but OF's are a lot easier to come by than SSs.

jabrch
08-23-2004, 10:38 AM
Didn't it already seem like Maggs wanted more than he was a)worth and b)the team had the ability to offer?

If in initial negotiations, Maggs sticks on Vlady money and no deferrals/incentives, I don't believe it's disloyal of the team to entertain trade discussions on him. Especially for a guy who's arguably a better player (if healthy). I'd rather have Maggs, but OF's are a lot easier to come by than SSs.
I don't think you have ever posted a single thing that I disagree with. I think I am going to stop actually posting any content and just say "yeah - what Flight #24 said..."

PaulDrake
08-23-2004, 01:52 PM
I don't think either of these statements are true. If he wanted to stay here, he'd have taken the generous offers he was made earlier. And if we wanted him here before, we surely don't nearly as much now given his potentially career threatening injury. This frustrates me. JR's "generous" offers often prove to be not quite so upon examination of all the fine print.

Foulke29
08-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Oh please. Quit being so naive. The agent works for Magglio, not vice verca. If he wanted to be here, he would have told his agent to tie up the loose ends and get a deal finalized. Instead, he waited around, and gave absolutely no intention that he was going to do anything but test the Free Agent market and go to the highest bidder. Not to slam Magglio now that his career is in jeopardy, and he priced himself out of potentionally 10s of millions of dollars, it is unlikely too many people here are going to feel bad for him if he returns with his tail between his legs, and signs an incentive laden one year deal.
The agent may work for Magglio, but agents are glorified used car salesmen with tongues as slick as Bill Clinton's. I think it's safe to say that Mags had his ego stroked and though he does pay the agent for a service, those agents get a cut of the contract and are probably the #1 suspect due to what he stands to gain - of talking Mags out of the other contract...

Foulke29
08-24-2004, 09:03 AM
This frustrates me. JR's "generous" offers often prove to be not quite so upon examination of all the fine print.
Amen brother - see the BigHurt diminished skills clause... Who knows what was in the contract.

However, I'll say this - I am 'glad' that we didn't sign Mags to a contact that would have sunk a significant percentage of our dollars into one injured player - therefore, setting us back years (see the Baltimore Orioles/Albert Belle dilemma).

gosox41
08-24-2004, 11:27 AM
The agent may work for Magglio, but agents are glorified used car salesmen with tongues as slick as Bill Clinton's. I think it's safe to say that Mags had his ego stroked and though he does pay the agent for a service, those agents get a cut of the contract and are probably the #1 suspect due to what he stands to gain - of talking Mags out of the other contract...
Then shame on Magglio for buying into the hype. Blaming the agent is just finding a convenient excuse. Magglio hired the agent. Magglio has a mouth to speak for himself. He is probably not the dumb jock that people make him out to be.

If he wanted to sign that contract he could have. Enough with the excuses and blaming others. He's greedy.

Bob

jshanahanjr
08-24-2004, 11:31 AM
I hope Maggs gets healthly and remains on the Southside!

bc2k
08-24-2004, 11:46 AM
I think Magglio wanted to test the free agent waters to stroke his ego. He's still not a nationally known superstar. He wants a little attention. He wanted to hear his name and theories of where he'll end up on ESPN every night. He'd finally get some positive national exposure which is what he is craving.

Hangar18
08-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Then shame on Magglio for buying into the hype. Blaming the agent is just finding a convenient excuse. Magglio hired the agent. Magglio has a mouth to speak for himself. He is probably not the dumb jock that people make him out to be.

If he wanted to sign that contract he could have. Enough with the excuses and blaming others. He's greedy.

Bob
Agreed.

Hangar18
08-24-2004, 03:18 PM
I think Magglio wanted to test the free agent waters to stroke his ego. He's still not a nationally known superstar. He wants a little attention. He wanted to hear his name and theories of where he'll end up on ESPN every night. He'd finally get some positive national exposure which is what he is craving.
You can blame the Chicago Media for that. Because he wasnt wearing sissy blue, they ignored him, instead focusing on How Loud Corkys Boombox was/ Prior Watches/Little Darrens lineup ideas/Possible World Series Lineups/Covering up Crime at Wrigley.
You can also Blame Uncle Jerry for Letting the Media do that year after decade. You can also Blame the SOX Marketing Dept for NOT making MAGGS a better name and putting him and Frank in their campaigns, ala the Fuzzy Blue Propoganda Machine up north.
You can Blame Uncle Jerry again for not surrounding Maggs with supporting cast to make the Playoffs more often, thereby putting Maggs accidentally on the national stage, FORCING the cubloving Espn network to acknowledge
Maggs and the Sox
Theres plenty of blame to spread around .............
Id be embarrassed if im a Chicago Journalist, and a colleague from Tokyo, or Bangkok, or Seattle, or Dallas asks how maggs could be a big secret after so many years. the answer. CUBBY BLUE LAZINESS

npdempse
08-24-2004, 03:23 PM
You can blame the Chicago Media for that. Because he wasnt wearing sissy blue, they ignored him. You can Blame Uncle Jerry for Letting the Media do that year after decade. You can Blame the SOX Marketing Dept for NOT making him a better name ala the Fuzzy Blue Propoganda Machine up north.
You can Blame Uncle Jerry again for not surrounding Maggs with supporting cast
to make the Playoffs more often.
Or you can blame Magglio himself for not being a loudmouthed jackass who'll tell all and sundry that he "is" the team. I actually think Maggs' problem is a lack of self-promotion, not a lack of people who think he's hot stuff. He's one of few guys of whom baseball writers nationally keep saying "why doesn't he get more attention."

Hangar18
08-24-2004, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=thezeker]

Williams thought he could.................. and save a few million this year to boot.

QUOTE]

And therein lies the Great Problem with the Chicago White Sox, and WHY
we havnt been to a World Series since 1959. They Keep adhering to the FOOLISH business concept of Cutting-Corners & end up shooting themselves
in the foot trying to save a buck. Didnt we go thru this Nonsense with the Billy Koch/Keith Foulke Fiasco?

Foulke29
08-24-2004, 04:21 PM
He's greedy.

Bob
Bob:

Saying that is a very uneducated point of view. You don't know the details of the contract. You don't know what escape clauses were put in there - like the diminished skills clause in Thomas' contract from a few years ago.

If I were Magglio, I would not want gremlin clauses in my contract either.

gosox41
08-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Bob:

Saying that is a very uneducated point of view. You don't know the details of the contract. You don't know what escape clauses were put in there - like the diminished skills clause in Thomas' contract from a few years ago.

If I were Magglio, I would not want gremlin clauses in my contract either.

Neither do you. But I'm betting the contract was competitive with what's being offered out there to other players of his caliber. At the time negotiations were going on the Sox were in a pennant race. No reason to risk pissing him off by low balling him or dicking him around. Besides all his agent had to say was: 'We're not excepting a diminished skills clause of any sort in this contract. Nice knowing you.'

Instead negotiations went on and off for a couple of months. Whatver they were haglling over wasn't going to be something as big as a diminished skills clause.

Bob