PDA

View Full Version : Cubs or Yankees?

Whitesox029
08-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Which of these is a greater crime on the part of a White Sox fan, assuming that neither team will factor into the Sox's chances to win anything at all. This season is a perfect example. I ask because the Red Sox have bypassed the Yankees on my hate list recently due to a certain trade and a certain mass invasion of our home territory.

jcirish85
08-22-2004, 12:36 AM
rooting for the yankees is like rooting for satan.

Whitesox029
08-22-2004, 12:41 AM
let me phrase this more explicitly: Cubs vs. Yankees in the World Series. Which is worse? rooting for the yanks or the cubs?

for the record, I am not actually wondering what the overall WSI response to this question will be. In fact, I trust you will vote nearly unanimously that rooting for the cubs would be worse. I am trying to prove a point to jcirish85.

Nellie_Fox
08-22-2004, 01:06 AM
let me phrase this more explicitly: Cubs vs. Yankees in the World Series. Which is worse? rooting for the yanks or the cubs?The only time I root for the Yankees is when they're playing the Cubs. It's not even close.

HomeFish
08-22-2004, 01:21 AM
To paraphrase Willsy, UICJason would root for the Cubs. Why would we want to do anything UICJason does?

bigfoot
08-22-2004, 01:42 AM
The only time I root for the Yankees is when they're playing the Cubs. It's not even close.
I'm with you Nellie, and the only time I root for the Cubz...... will be the first time. Then I'll have to kill myself.

skobabe8
08-22-2004, 03:02 AM
I might root for the cubs if they were playing against Al Queda.

MRKARNO
08-22-2004, 09:37 AM
I hate the Cubs the most, no question. And as my hate for the Red Sox begins to increase, my hate for the Yankees starts to decrease.

Blob
08-22-2004, 09:42 AM
I hate the Cubs the most, no question. And as my hate for the Red Sox begins to increase, my hate for the Yankees starts to decrease.
We said that yesterday after the game. After seeing all those Red Sox fans for the last two days at the Cell. I'll be rooting for the Yanks if they are facing the Red Sox in the playoffs.

I will NEVER root for the scrubs.

whitesoxwilkes
08-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Having grown up in upstate NY, everyone around there was either a Blue Jays fan or a Yankees fan. At the time, the Jays were pretty dominant and the Yankees were believe it or not pretty mediocre, so I started rooting for them because I found it hard to root for a team that played in another country.

I have nothing against the Yankees...they win, and I think they have every right to swagger.

Brian26
08-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Never, EVER root for the Cubs. The Yankees can be rooted for as our AL representative in the World Series.

skobabe8
08-22-2004, 11:29 AM
We said that yesterday after the game. After seeing all those Red Sox fans for the last two days at the Cell. I'll be rooting for the Yanks if they are facing the Red Sox in the playoffs.

I will NEVER root for the scrubs.
Did you go the Yankees series in April???

I was at friday nights game against boston and there werent nearly as many bosox fdans there as i thought there would be. At least thats what I thought. Not much more than most other teams would bring, anyway. But I agree my hatred for the Red Sox is increasing, while my hatred for the Yankees is decreasing--only slightly.

JB98
08-22-2004, 11:33 AM
I might root for the cubs if they were playing against Al Queda.
I'd have to go with bin Laden in that matchup.

Sox Mobile
08-22-2004, 12:52 PM
I'm in the minority, but I dont hate the Yankees. Their fans are a pain and obnoxious as hell at times but they have gotten their high and mighty noses put back in place for a few years.

But as far as the team itself, esp with Torre at the helm, a class act.

The Yankees are always gracious winners and losers.

The D-Backs made fools of themselves after the 2001 series. "we showed them where to put their history" and other full of themselves statements.

From the Yankee camp........"the best team won"

Say what you will about Steinbrenner, but he will do WHAT EVER it takes to win.

I cant stand Boston, a bunch of thugs. and this year they look like a circus freak show. and their fans whine as much as Flubbies.

zach23
08-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Did you go the Yankees series in April???

I was at friday nights game against boston and there werent nearly as many bosox fdans there as i thought there would be. At least thats what I thought. Not much more than most other teams would bring, anyway. But I agree my hatred for the Red Sox is increasing, while my hatred for the Yankees is decreasing--only slightly.

Yeah, we were at the Yankees series in April. Yes there were a lot of people rooting for the Yankees, but they were wearing Yankees colors only. The last two games we have been at against the Red Sox, I have seen so many cub/Red Sox fashion combos I lost count. Add to that the two guys in Red Sox jerseys (one with a cubs hat) that were in front of me Saturday yelling "Go cubbies" and "Nomar", and a group behind me in Red Sox gear that started a "White Sox suck" chant and followed that up by laughing and saying Chicago only has one major league baseball team and it plays on the north side.
The Yankees fans were irritating, but I don't remember there being as many that were so obnoxious. When the Sox lost to the Yankees I didn't hear a "Let's go Yankees" chant on the ramps while going out, whereas the Bosox fans started their chant on Saturday. I used to love Boston in the 70's when I was a kid, and really rooted for them up until the past few seasons. Now their fans remind me of cub fans, lots of obnoxious frat boy types that go to other team's parks and try their best to antogonize everyone around them. Add to that all the whining about being cursed and the constant national media obsession with everything they do, and it makes me want to vomit. I have no problem with visiting fans standing and cheering for their team, but when they start heckling the Sox players, chanting "Sox suck", and yelling "go cubs", they are at that point being classless idiots.
Now I will spend this fall hoping for them to choke again like they always do.

skobabe8
08-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Yeah, we were at the Yankees series in April. Yes there were a lot of people rooting for the Yankees, but they were wearing Yankees colors only. The last two games we have been at against the Red Sox, I have seen so many cub/Red Sox fashion combos I lost count. Add to that the two guys in Red Sox jerseys (one with a cubs hat) that were in front of me Saturday yelling "Go cubbies" and "Nomar", and a group behind me in Red Sox gear that started a "White Sox suck" chant and followed that up by laughing and saying Chicago only has one major league baseball team and it plays on the north side.
The Yankees fans were irritating, but I don't remember there being as many that were so obnoxious. When the Sox lost to the Yankees I didn't hear a "Let's go Yankees" chant on the ramps while going out, whereas the Bosox fans started their chant on Saturday. I used to love Boston in the 70's when I was a kid, and really rooted for them up until the past few seasons. Now their fans remind me of cub fans, lots of obnoxious frat boy types that go to other team's parks and try their best to antogonize everyone around them. Add to that all the whining about being cursed and the constant national media obsession with everything they do, and it makes me want to vomit. I have no problem with visiting fans standing and cheering for their team, but when they start heckling the Sox players, chanting "Sox suck", and yelling "go cubs", they are at that point being classless idiots.
Now I will spend this fall hoping for them to choke again like they always do.
I totally agree with you. Like I said in another thread, there was a girl sitting 2 rows in front of us friday night with a johnnie damon shirt and cubs earrings. What is the point of going to a game and wearing a cubs hat and jersey?

OurBitchinMinny
08-22-2004, 02:19 PM
This question should be a no brainer for every sox fan. I would definitely root for the yankees over the cubs and its not close. I dont hate the yankees. They do what baseball allows them to do. I would much rather have an owner like steinbrenner rather than one who has said he would trade his six nba rings for one WS rings and then goes out and spends like he is playing in pocatello idaho. I root for the yankees if the play the twinkies or injuns too

JoseCanseco6969
08-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Which of these is a greater crime on the part of a White Sox fan, assuming that neither team will factor into the Sox's chances to win anything at all. This season is a perfect example. I ask because the Red Sox have bypassed the Yankees on my hate list recently due to a certain trade and a certain mass invasion of our home territory.
I agree and felt the same way with the hate list thing. I used to semi respect red sox fans until this series. They are the most annoying baseball-retarded fans in baseball. I had more intelligent conversations with (sadly) Cubs fans at the crosstown classic compared to the past 2 days. These Red Sox fans started many fights, threw objects at White Sox fans(including me), made idiotic and false remarks about our team( including how we are suckers for taking Contreras for our allstar Loaiza), chanted cubbies-cubbies-cubbies, were drunker than most Cubs fans, and the sad part about it is that they outnumbered us in our own park so they were able to get away with it. They have passed the Yankees on my hate list and I now place this ignorant franchise on my top 5 most hated franchises in pro sports! there I'm done
GO YANKEES AND CRUSH THESE AL CUBS!!

oeo
08-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Like I said last year, if that were to happen, I would never watch another Major League Baseball game ever again. My two most hated teams against each other in the World Series? The World Series should be canceled on the spot.

Nard
08-22-2004, 04:10 PM
I have no problem at all rooting for the Yankees. Bitching and moaning about the "Evil Empire" is for ridiculous Carmine fans and them only.

You know how the Sox, on paper, are the best team in the AL Central but are playing like a last place team right now?

The Yankees, on paper, are the best team in the AL. And they play like the best team in the AL. That deserves some respect. They live up to expectations. They got a true leader in Jeter and the thing about them is they always play hard.

Look at the Lakers. Best team in basketball on paper, failed miserably in the postseason. Just because you have the best individual talent doesn't mean you'll automatically win it all.

Everyone whines that the Yankees spend so much and blah blah blah. I think it's admirable that they continually live up to their high expectations by playing good hard baseball. There ain't any corpseball up there in the Bronx.

That's why I'll cheer for the Yankees and guarantee they'll make the WS... unless, of course, the Sox can sneak into the playoffs. :supernana:

soxwon
08-22-2004, 04:10 PM
I root for the AL team in the series, if its the yankees so be it.

i loathe the cubs. i respect the yankees
if we had the yankees money and owner we would be in heaven
its jealousy with the Yorkers.

hsnterprize
08-22-2004, 05:06 PM
I personally have absolutely NO PROBLEM rooting for the Yankees if they're in a situation to win...unless they're playing the White Sox. Anyway, unlike that team based on the north side of Chicago, the Yanks have EARNED the right to be one of the most popular teams in sports. Love 'em or hate 'em, at least the Yankees' success supercedes all negative opinions about them.

The Red Sox have earned at least some right to be popular because they've had chances to break their alleged "Curse of the Bambino", but have come up short. Sometimes, the falling was more tragic than others (i.e., 1986 and last year). However, from what I've read from Fenway and other posters, Red Sox fans are more knowledgeable are aren't the "hoity-toity", "we deserve a winner" type of fans like those who often claim the north siders as they're own. That's not to say there aren't legitimate Cubs fans here in Chicago and elsewhere, but there are way too many people who root for the Cubs who pass themselves off as idiots and not smart fans.

LongLiveFisk
08-22-2004, 08:17 PM
Yankees, by a landslide. If they win, it's just business as usual. No major shock there. If the Cubs win, our team is in big trouble. If you think you can't get your northside "friends" to shut up now, what do you think will happen then?

LongLiveFisk
08-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Oh, and I'll bet that a lot of the Red Sox fans that were there chanting pro-Cubs, anti-Sox stuff are just Cubs fans wearing their BoSox stuff. Losers.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-22-2004, 08:41 PM
how can any sox fan betray the south side for the F***ing scrubs!:angry:
Under no cirsumstance will i EVER vote for those lovable losers!:angry:

dcb33
08-22-2004, 09:08 PM
I feel foolish because I accidently voted for the Yankees when I meant to vote for the Cubs- so move one vote for the Yankees to the Cubs column.

How can you not root for the Yankees? Let's face it- we're more like die-hard Yankees fans than we are of fans of any other team- we live in a big market, we expect to see winning baseball, and we refuse to support the team by attending games if they lose. I have the utmost respect for the Yankees and what they've been able to accomplish. You can say whatever you want about the money they spend, etc., but at least they spend the money they make to field a winner. Do you seriously believe that teams like the Red Sox and Cubs wouldn't be able to cough up the kind of coin the Yankees do if they really wanted to?

It's just unfortunate due to our own ownership/management's ineptidue combined with the fact that we typically only play the Yankees 6-9 times a year that the great Chicago/New York rivalry of old (back in the 50's and 60's for example) is dead.

bennyw41
08-23-2004, 09:11 AM
The yankees have won what 26 world titles? When has it ever been hard to live in Chicago when they win a title? If the Cubs were to win, it would be sickening to live in this city. That is why, in this most dire of circumstances, you root for the yankees.

flo-B-flo
08-23-2004, 07:08 PM
I've hated the Yankers since I became aware of baseball. The c___ don't matter. They are the minors.

Blueprint1
08-23-2004, 09:58 PM
I hate the Red Sox more than I hate the yankees if the Yankees win i dont really care they always win.

ma_deuce
08-23-2004, 11:46 PM
I don't care who they are playing against, I would never root for the Cubs.

habibharu
08-24-2004, 01:24 AM
its gotta be the cubs! i dont see how ANYBODY could hate the yanks: they have great, passionate fans, who are MUCH more knowledegble than cubs fans and NOT even CLOSE to being as annoying as red hose fans. yeah they "buy" championships but that is NOT their fault, it is the MLBs. EVERY team is baseball should STRIVE to be like the yanks!

SOXSINCE'70
08-24-2004, 07:14 AM
DIE CUBBIE BLUE,DIE!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

samram
08-24-2004, 07:29 AM
its gotta be the cubs! i dont see how ANYBODY could hate the yanks: they have great, passionate fans, who are MUCH more knowledegble than cubs fans and NOT even CLOSE to being as annoying as red hose fans. yeah they "buy" championships but that is NOT their fault, it is the MLBs. EVERY team is baseball should STRIVE to be like the yanks!
Yeah, those Yankee fans sure called the Elo-Contreras trade correctly. (Last night notwithstanding). Yankees fans should be knowledgeable. Everytime you turn on any show about baseball, some talking head is talking about them, whether it's a winning streak or a losing streak. Being more knowledgeable than Cubs fans is not exactly gonna qualify you for valedictorian of baseball fans.

woodenleg
08-24-2004, 10:15 AM
We had a thread like this earlier in the year, and I said I hated the Yankees more. That was because my mother was harassed and roughed up by Yankee fans in 1960.

After this weekend, I am willing to admit that I was wrong.

Orta 4-6-3
08-24-2004, 01:00 PM
If that's the matchup in the World Series, I'm leaving the country that week. Cubs vs Yankees is Hitler vs Stalin, but I would have to root for the Yanks. What's one more championship for them --- but if the unthinkable happens, it would be very, VERY, VERY hard to be a Sox fan.