PDA

View Full Version : Twins hard to hate?

sld7c
08-21-2004, 10:35 PM
Anybody else find it's just kind of hard to get into hating the Twins division rivalry or no? I kind of figure in your heart of hearts a lot of you think so; why else is this page headed devoted to hating the Cubs? Twins have a lousy budget, play at a hole, and still do well. Plus the Metrodome's named after Hugh Humphrey, which I kind of like cause I think old Hugh always got a raw deal. Yeah I know owner's a jerk, but that's rare in baseball?

bc2k
08-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Anybody else find it's just kind of hard to get into hating the Twins division rivalry or no?
Yes. Last year I actually rooted for them to win in the playoffs. Not because they're the underdogs or because they're underfunded, but because the play a team game, they way I wish my Sox played. I'll root for them again in the playoffs this year.

samram
08-21-2004, 10:49 PM
I have no trouble hating the Twins, whether it's their jerk-weed players, their jerk-weed manager, or their jerk-weed announcers. I plain don't like those jerk-offs, and I just hope that Boston or one of the AL West teams beats their asses in the playoffs. That said, they can do all the chirping they want because they have performed for three years running and the Sox haven't.

JB98
08-21-2004, 11:03 PM
I have no trouble hating the Twins, whether it's their jerk-weed players, their jerk-weed manager, or their jerk-weed announcers. I plain don't like those jerk-offs, and I just hope that Boston or one of the AL West teams beats their asses in the playoffs. That said, they can do all the chirping they want because they have performed for three years running and the Sox haven't.

I have no problem hating the Twins. Torii Hunter and Jacque Jones make them very easy to hate. I don't care about their low payroll or their underdog status. They're pricks.

I won't cheer for Boston, though. I have no respect for a group of players that constantly hug each other, and I have no respect for a self-pitying fan base that blames every loss on a curse. I hope the Yankees kick their ass again this year.

I'll root for Oakland and/or Anaheim in the playoffs, as well as the Cardinals. If San Diego gets in, I'd root for them as well.

MRKARNO
08-21-2004, 11:05 PM
I have no problem hating the Twins. Torii Hunter and Jacque Jones make them very easy to hate. I don't care about their low payroll or their underdog status. They're pricks.

I won't cheer for Boston, though. I have no respect for a group of players that constantly hug each other, and I have no respect for a self-pitying fan base that blames every loss on a curse. I hope the Yankees kick their ass again this year.

I'll root for Oakland and/or Anaheim in the playoffs, as well as the Cardinals. If San Diego gets in, I'd root for them as well.
That sums up how I feel for the most part except that I like the San Francisco Giants a lot. Dont forget Texas either!

samram
08-21-2004, 11:16 PM
That sums up how I feel for the most part except that I like the San Francisco Giants a lot. Dont forget Texas either!
I like the Dodgers, so I'll root for them to win it all. It would be nice if they hadn't traded away their set-up man, and their new one hadn't got injured, as he does every year.

sld7c
08-21-2004, 11:17 PM
I don't have any real animus towards Boston's players, with the exception of Ortiz, but I completely agree about the fans. Not only whiny and self pitying, but violent too. Real winning combination there.
Guess I'll suck it up and root for the Cadinals or the Twins as no one I actually like has a chance.

the_valenstache
08-21-2004, 11:18 PM

I agree with everything you say. Red Sox fans have become indistinguishable from Cubs fans. Screw 'em all. :gulp:

Lip Man 1
08-21-2004, 11:19 PM
I don't hate a Twins team that plays the game hard, does the small things to win games and actually seems to care.

I don't hate an organization that requires their minor league prospects to spend years in the minors learning their craft (unlike the White Sox) so that when they get the the major leagues they can actually do something besides look foolish.

I don't hate an organization that is heading to the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row, something the team that I have lived and died with for 44 years has NEVER done.

Frankly I'm envious.

Lip

MRKARNO
08-21-2004, 11:27 PM
I like the Dodgers, so I'll root for them to win it all. It would be nice if they hadn't traded away their set-up man, and their new one hadn't got injured, as he does every year.
For me I'll cheer for anyone who's not the Twins, Cubs or Red Sox, but I have preference for the Cards and Giants (if they get in)

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2004, 11:42 PM
I don't hate a Twins team that plays the game hard, does the small things to win games and actually seems to care.

I don't hate an organization that requires their minor league prospects to spend years in the minors learning their craft (unlike the White Sox) so that when they get the the major leagues they can actually do something besides look foolish.

I don't hate an organization that is heading to the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row, something the team that I have lived and died with for 44 years has NEVER done.

Frankly I'm envious.

LipAin't that the truth.

skobabe8
08-22-2004, 03:08 AM
Don't forget their P.A. announcer at the dome. Every game thats televised there, you can hear this guy's annoying voice in the background. :angry:

Gene Honda>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Twins Idiot P.A. Announcer

Grobber33
08-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Don't forget their P.A. announcer at the dome. Every game thats televised there, you can hear this guy's annoying voice in the background. :angry:

Gene Honda>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Twins Idiot P.A. Announcer

The Twins P.A.Announcer's name is Bob Casey and he's been there pretty much since they moved there from Washington in 1961. He announced Harmon Killebrew,Rod Carew,Tony Oliva,Bob Allison,Don Mincher,Jim Kaat and of course Kirbeeeeeeeeee Pucketttttttttttt!
Nothing in the Metro Dump is more annoying than the Viking Horn they blow 90 million times during each Vikes game-unless it comes during a game in which the Vikes beat the Fudge Packers of course---then,,it's enjoyable.:D:

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-22-2004, 12:27 PM
For me I'll cheer for anyone who's not the Twins, Cubs or Red Sox, but I have preference for the Cards and Giants (if they get in)

100% Agree with everything. Im rooting for the Cards (fav. NL team) and Giants too who are now 1st in the wildcard! w00t!:bandance:

OurBitchinMinny
08-22-2004, 02:21 PM
It will be cold day in hell before I root for the twins. The only situation I would is if they were playing the scrubs in the WS. Although Id rather the world end I think and would not watch a minute of that WS.

zach23
08-22-2004, 04:06 PM

Frankly I'm envious.

Lip

Lip, you are envious of an organization that is owned by a man that won't spend his own money to build a new staduim, won't spend money on free agents in the offseason to get his team through the playoffs and into the World Series, and won't spend money to keep the team's good veteran players when they become free agents?
Doesn't that contradict what you usually post here?

ma-gaga
08-22-2004, 04:34 PM
The Twins are easy to hate. Any team that repeats as division champions are hatable. The first time they win it's "cute". After that they get annoying. Man a three time division champion is downright hatable. Especially one that runs Rivas/Guzman out there 140 times a year. Especially one that runs out the showboating J.Jones and T.Hunter out there 130 times a year.

And one that doesn't have anyone that will hit over 25 homers a year. That's annoying. And one that easily plays above their abilities, or their pythagorian record, or one that runs Terry Mullholland out there as a "starter".

But the most annoying thing is how they complain that they never get respect. That bugs the crap out of me.

:gulp:

Jerome
08-22-2004, 04:53 PM
I hate the twins because of Torrid Hunter. And the way the announcers for them made fun of Burke. I hope the A's win it all if the Sox don't make it.

Lip Man 1
08-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Zach:

Who said anything about ownership in the original question? The thread starter didn't, I certainly didn't.

As far as I'm concerned all the owners in baseball with the exception of Steinbrenner isn't worth a damn...it's just that some aren't worth a damn more then others.

The question as I took it referred to the Twins players and front office.

Yes I admire them for the reasons that I posted.

Lip

zach23
08-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Zach:

Who said anything about ownership in the original question? The thread starter didn't, I certainly didn't.

As far as I'm concerned all the owners in baseball with the exception of Steinbrenner isn't worth a damn...it's just that some aren't worth a damn more then others.

The question as I took it referred to the Twins players and front office.

Yes I admire them for the reasons that I posted.

Lip

Well, when you said organization, I figured the owner of a team is part of the organization.
One other question though. You are always saying that a team must have one of the higher payrolls in order to have a good chance of consistently making the playoffs. And you are also always saying that a team needs to have high priced bench players to fill in when there are injuries. The Twins have never had a high payroll and don't even have the highest in the division. Plus, they have bench players like Henry Blanco, Matt Lecroy, Nick Punto, and Mike Cudyer. They also try to catch lightening in a bottle with cheap old players like Terry Mullholand. These are not exactly high priced players. So are they just lucky to beat the odds and make the playoffs year after year with young guys and cast-offs from other teams, or is it possible to have one of the smaller payrolls in the league and make the playoffs consistently?

Also, in order to stock the farm system that the Twins now have, a team would have to endure the 4 straight seasons of 90+ loses that they did. This is the reason they can draft guys like Mauer. They would also have to trade veterans to other teams at the deadline for their top prospects like the Twins did to get guys like Guzman. So are you saying it is a better plan to trade for young guys and wait for them, as well as the players you drafted, to develop into a team like the Twins have and not worry about free agents?

If so, I agree. I have been waiting for 32 years, but what the hell, blow up this current Sox team and build from the ground up with players that Ozzie wants. Trade guys for prospects. Forget the older high priced free agents that eventually lose their fire and look like some of the guys on the current Sox roster. We may have to watch 3 or 4 real horrible seasons, but they will produce a lot of high draft picks like the Twins got. Once it all comes together like it did for the Twins, we will have a real fun team to watch.

Lip Man 1
08-23-2004, 12:22 PM
You ask why do the Twins minor league players produce...simple...as I originally said they stay in the minor leagues for years.

Hunter had alomst 2,000 minor league at bats. Most of the other Twins position players (including those traded) have at least 1,500.

Their pitchers usually get three or four years of minor league work before having short call up's. It's their system and it works.

The most regretable thing about this whole thread is that the CHICAGO White Sox shouldn't have to admire the Twins for anything. If the Sox had a payroll equal to a team in the nation's 3rd largest market they wouldn't have to but given current ownership you have to give credit where it is due.

As far as having four awful years in a row...I lived through 68-70, 73-76, 78-80, 86-89 and 95-99. I could live through another AS LONG as qualified, competent people were in charge that increased the chances of success when the awful period was over, much like the time from 86-89. Look who was in place Himes and Torborg.

Lip

RKMeibalane
08-23-2004, 12:23 PM
The Twins are not hard to hate.

flo-B-flo
08-26-2004, 09:40 PM
You ask why do the Twins minor league players produce...simple...as I originally said they stay in the minor leagues for years.

Hunter had alomst 2,000 minor league at bats. Most of the other Twins position players (including those traded) have at least 1,500.

Their pitchers usually get three or four years of minor league work before having short call up's. It's their system and it works.

The most regretable thing about this whole thread is that the CHICAGO White Sox shouldn't have to admire the Twins for anything. If the Sox had a payroll equal to a team in the nation's 3rd largest market they wouldn't have to but given current ownership you have to give credit where it is due.

As far as having four awful years in a row...I lived through 68-70, 73-76, 78-80, 86-89 and 95-99. I could live through another AS LONG as qualified, competent people were in charge that increased the chances of success when the awful period was over, much like the time from 86-89. Look who was in place Himes and Torborg.

Lip Preach on man. I remember ALL the drudgery too. And I still won't give up. Pathetic or what?