PDA

View Full Version : 83 Winning Ugly video

mike squires
08-21-2004, 11:19 PM
Today I purchased Winning Ugly, 20 years later. The price is pretty steep at thirty bucks but I must say, being a Sox fan it was worth it. The video is approximatly 1 hour 30 min. Lots of interviews with all of the past favs. It's great to hear Hawk, Drysdale and McConnell on some of those calls. Some of the highlights include...

play off footage. I totally don't remember a ball landing on the chalk with the bases loaded that was called foul. It was very close but appears fair. Luzinski explains it could have changed the entire series around and possibly come back home with a 2-0 lead. Some of the footage includes the base blunder by the dybber. I didn't recall how hard Law went into home on the play. It's sad to see Jerry freeze up like he did in between 2nd and 3rd. His body language tells it all. I remember Jerry telling the fans as he was signing last year, "I hope they don't boo me...Kittle getting hit and Dotsons retaliation. Fisk flying deep to the wall in game three. And of course the Landrum home run with some emotional memories and commentary by Britt Burns. One thing I need help on. Don Drysdale makes all of these calls. I know NBC and Costas did the series and I have audio of game one with Mcconnell and Whynn. How did Drysdale end up doing commentary for this series??? Lip, maybe you could help with this one?

the amount of confidence Hoyt had.

Dennis Lamp impersonating Fisk, Hoyt and others...

Uncut introductions the day they celebrated the division. With Spanky raising the flag. It's amazing to me watching the highlights the calmness and lack of emotion of Luzinski. However during the introductions Luzinski waves his hands in the air and pumps his fist to the crowd.

I must admit I squirmed a little bit when I heard them introduce Einhorn and Reinsdorff as the Sunshine boys. They trotted out onto the field with such confidence and swagger. Who knew what they would later do to this organazation!!!

My only complaint would be too few highlights. There's just enought to make you happy but there could have been so much more.

If you are at the park and your a fan of the 83 team plop the thirty bucks down and pick this baby up.

Sorry if there's a thread on this allready. Just had to chip my 2 cents in.

mike squires
08-21-2004, 11:28 PM
One more question. How come the Sox did not keep Mike Squires within the organization? I wonder if it was a personal decision to move on to St. Louis? Being so popular and all I'm just curious why he no longer is affiliated with the team. I last recall him being in the bullpen in the early 90's and later a scout.

With Hickey helping out with the pitchers, Baines and Walker on the bench another 83 guy would be great at first base. (Not necesarrally Squires...)

Lip Man 1
08-22-2004, 12:10 AM
That is a nice video. I also have the 'official' version that came out in the winter of 1983 called 'Winning Ugly: The Story Of The 1983 Chicago White Sox."

A friend of mine who worked for SportsVision at the time made me a copy. (Ditto for the 1981, 1982 and 1985 seasons...)

Lip

BainesHOF
08-22-2004, 02:41 AM
I'm looking to buy the DVD version of the '83 video that was sold at Soxfest. I held off buying one at the time because I figured the DVD would be available at the park. I was wrong.

skobabe8
08-22-2004, 03:06 AM
I gotta get this video. I have the '93 one and I love it! 30 bucks is a little steep, however.

mike squires
08-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Another interesting note. When Law crashed into Dempsy during the Dyb blunder...It appears Rick never touches him with the ball/mitt. He crouches down waiting for a collision. The ump immediatly calls Law out. Law never touched home but just another long line of what ifs...

Lip, help me out man...Why was Drysdale doing commentary during the playoffs? Was it a NBC radio broadcast? He is emotional when Dyb freezes up. He yells NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I'm losing sleep over it and need to know!!! :)

Wsoxmike59
08-23-2004, 12:15 PM
I was going to purchase the video at the park this year, thinking it was on DVD. I would pay $30 for it on DVD (thinking that was a steep price too) but for a VHS?? No way.

I'm hoping that it will be available at Soxfest or the Garage Sale next year at a little better price.

I have the '83 Highlight film on VHS and it's fun to take it out and watch it during the winter time or spring training when I'm starving for some baseball.

Lip Man 1
08-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Well it couldn't have b een NBC-TV because it was Costas and Kubek. I just don't know who had the radio rights for that season.

Sorry...

Lip

Brian26
08-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Well it couldn't have b een NBC-TV because it was Costas and Kubek. I just don't know who had the radio rights for that season.

Sorry...

Lip

McConnell definitely called the game on WMAQ radio. ESPN1000 has been recently playing McConnell's call at the very end of game 1 when Fletcher got the dribbler after it got past Hoyt and stepped on 2nd for the win.

Brian26
08-23-2004, 01:14 PM

Sorry...

Lip

You know what's weird....as I'm thinking about this a bit more, I seem to remember a very unusual set of circumstances for the Game 1 broadcast where both NBC (Costas and Kubek) aired the game AND WFLD Channel 32 (Hawk and Drysdale) aired the game. I don't remember the reasoning or the circumstances behind it, but in the back of my mind I recall WFLD airing the game with our home team announcers. Maybe someone else can back me up on this. I definitely remember coming home from school and watching the end of Game 1 on NBC. This is years before we had cable, so our channel 5 reception was always much clearer than the channel 32 reception. At the time, I didn't really understand the difference between the national announcers and home-team announcers, so that didn't matter to me. In hindsight, I would have watched DD and Hawk in a second.

Brian26
08-23-2004, 01:16 PM
I totally don't remember a ball landing on the chalk with the bases loaded that was called foul. It was very close but appears fair. Luzinski explains it could have changed the entire series around and possibly come back home with a 2-0 lead.

Yeah, I think Cruz hit that little dink down the leftfield line in Game 2. We had no chance against Boddicker after that. Could have turned the whole thing around though.

mike squires
08-23-2004, 02:27 PM
Brian~Thanks for the insight! On the video they feature Drysdale on games 1 and 4. I don't hear Hawk at all. I suppose next time I see Hawk I'll ask him about it. I too remember rushing hom from school just in time to see the end of game 1. I can't believe I didn't play hookie. Being so young (10) I don't recall having runners at 2nd and 3rd (cruise and dybzinski) with 2 out and a chance to win it in the ninth. Law frose on a pitch that started in on him that caught the inside corner. As frustrating as it is I love talking about that 83 team.

Lip Man 1
08-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Remember WFLD-TV did do the game for the Chicago area. NBC-TV did the game for the rest of the country. I'm sure Baltimore did the game for their home town audiance on WMAR-TV.

There were more then one radio broadcast of the game as well. WMAQ radio did it for Chicago. WBAL Radio did it for Baltimore and there was a national radio contract that may have been with NBC Radio but I just don't remember who did it. I remember listening to the game on the road to Grambling for football practice.

Lip

Brian26
08-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Remember WFLD-TV did do the game for the Chicago area. NBC-TV did the game for the rest of the country. I'm sure Baltimore did the game for their home town audiance on WMAR-TV.

In Chicago, I'm certain that we received both the NBC feed and the WFLD feed. This makes sense now.

Memories....man, this whole town was rooting for the Sox.

mike squires
08-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys, I slept a good 8 hours last night.:smile:

I remember with all the fans on the field, the celebration, all of the news telecasts was featuring this event. Maybe I identify with this team cause I was so young but I highly doubt people think about the 93/2000 team as highly as that 83 team. Don't get me wrong, all teams were special but man...that 83 team.

mrwag
08-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys, I slept a good 8 hours last night.:smile:

I remember with all the fans on the field, the celebration, all of the news telecasts was featuring this event. Maybe I identify with this team cause I was so young but I highly doubt people think about the 93/2000 team as highly as that 83 team. Don't get me wrong, all teams were special but man...that 83 team.The '83 Sox is what made me a Sox fan at the young age of 9. I've been a die-hard ever since (good and bad with that). That was a neat group of guys.