PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Comments

Lip Man 1
08-21-2004, 10:44 PM
from White Sox.com:

"Josh Stewart officially became fifth starter No. 6 on Saturday afternoon, and he struggled much like the first five during the Red Sox's 10-7 victory before the 10th sellout of the season on the South Side. Stewart, making his first start of the 2004 season after making five in 2003, lasted just 3 1/3 innings, giving up eight hits and seven earned runs.

"Fifth starter, same result," Guillen lamented. "Stewart threw strikes, which is important, and he battled. But I don't know what we are going to do from here."

The soft-tossing left-hander barely had time to settle in for the first inning when the Red Sox grabbed a 3-0 lead. Johnny Damon ripped a single to right, Orlando Cabrera beat out a bunt single when Stewart couldn't glove the baseball and Manny Ramirez (three hits, five RBIs) ripped the first pitch from Stewart for his 32nd home run of the season and fourth in five games against the White Sox.

"That was a fastball away, and I guess I left it a little bit up," Stewart said. "Just like that it was 3-0. I didn't keep us in the game and didn't do my job. That's a good veteran team, and they made me pay for the bad pitches I threw today." Stewart joins the less-than-impressive group of Dan Wright (0-4, 8.15 ERA), Neal Cotts (lost only start to Minnesota), Jon Rauch (1-1, 6.23), Felix Diaz (1-3, 9.00) and Arnie Munoz (0-1, 33.00) that have produced a combined record of 2-11 with a 10.77 earned run average (67 earned runs in 56 innings). That total doesn't factor in Scott Schoeneweis' lone appearance in the rotation's fifth spot at Kauffman Stadium, where he allowed nine runs in 1 1/3 innings against the Royals. "

Lip

mike squires
08-21-2004, 11:00 PM
I know it is very frustrating, but how can you expect a young guy to exell when you are trotting a new guy out there every day. I know it's frustrating when Diaz gets two or 3 starts (I know it's hard to do during a pennent race) but you have to give guys more than 2 or 3 starts. How's he going to gain confidence without experience? Maybe it will be easier to do being 7 games out.

cornball
08-21-2004, 11:07 PM
I know it is very frustrating, but how can you expect a young guy to exell when you are trotting a new guy out there every day. I know it's frustrating when Diaz gets two or 3 starts (I know it's hard to do during a pennent race) but you have to give guys more than 2 or 3 starts. How's he going to gain confidence without experience? Maybe it will be easier to do being 7 games out.
How can you expect a young guy to excel??????????

It is called being a professional.

DaveIsHere
08-21-2004, 11:09 PM
How can you expect a young guy to excel??????????

It is called being a professional.
Leave the Kerry Lovers alone!!:D:

santo=dorf
08-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Actually, he is the seventh. Schoenweis was bumped to the fifth spot when we traded for Freddy.

Wright
Diaz
Cotts
Munoz
Rauch
Schoenweis
Stewart

:chunks

Please Jerry, let KW sign two GOOD free agent pitchers this off season. I wouldn't mind seeing Pavano, Ortiz or Odalis Perez in a Sox uni next year.

kitekrazy
08-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Some of these guys have to come up to pitch against good hitting teams. If a good major league starter can give up 4 runs against the likes of Boston, what do you think the chances are of guys doing well who are not in the big leagues yet?