PDA

View Full Version : Offseason surprises

beausox
10-03-2001, 07:30 PM
There is no way this team will stand pat. We have to many young guys who neeed to be playing and surpluses at a lot of positions. I think the front office will surprise us with a few moves (like the D. Wells deal last year).

here's a list of guys who I think might possible be traded:

1.Valentin/Clayton-Only need one SS, Crede at 3rd
2.Jim Parque-no rotation spot for him, he won't like the pen
3.Herbert Perry-Liefer assumes his role, too expensive to keep around as a third string 3rd basemen.
4.Chris Singleton-needs to play everyday, can't here
5.Sandy Alomar-maybe this is just wishful thinking

Jerry_Manuel
10-03-2001, 07:37 PM
I believe Perry is a free agent after this year ends.
Nobody wants Alomar.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-03-2001, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by beausox
There is no way this team will stand pat. We have to many young guys who neeed to be playing and surpluses at a lot of positions. I think the front office will surprise us with a few moves (like the D. Wells deal last year).

here's a list of guys who I think might possible be traded:

1.Valentin/Clayton-Only need one SS, Crede at 3rd
2.Jim Parque-no rotation spot for him, he won't like the pen
3.Herbert Perry-Liefer assumes his role, too expensive to keep around as a third string 3rd basemen.
4.Chris Singleton-needs to play everyday, can't here
5.Sandy Alomar-maybe this is just wishful thinking

With the exception of Parque, none of those guys will bring much in trade. For real surprises, look for the Sox to start dealing some of the young pitchers.

Parque becomes expendable now that Buehrle is the rotation's established lefty. We ought to be able to get someone else's lefty reliever plus something else of value for him.

Kipper, Glover, Wright, Fogg, Ginter, etc. .... we need to deal at least 1-2 of the young pitchers for something we can use. There aren't enough spots on the pitching staff for all these guys.

The older ballplayers with mediocre stats won't bring us jack. You've got to break some eggs to make an omelette. What worries me is KW is the one breaking the eggs.

"Maybe I should have been a chef, 'cause I'm sure not a GM!"
:KW

LongDistanceFan
10-03-2001, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

You've got to break some eggs to make an omelette. What worries me is KW is the one breaking the eggs.
that what scares me as well, his ability to screw up a trade........

oldcomiskey
10-04-2001, 05:37 PM
once again would somebody tell me what trades he screwed up--besides bringing Clayton over I cant think of one

Jerry_Manuel
10-04-2001, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
once again would somebody tell me what trades he screwed up--besides bringing Clayton over I cant think of one

The Baldwin trade.

Jerry_Manuel
10-04-2001, 05:46 PM
When I say Baldwin trade I mean the "Berry, Barry" thing. I'm not talking about who we got for him.

oldcomiskey
10-04-2001, 05:46 PM
JB had the highest ERA of any pitcher with that many IPs in the game and you think he screwed up?

Jerry_Manuel
10-04-2001, 05:50 PM
JB had the highest ERA of any pitcher with that many IPs in the game and you think he screwed up?

I stated what I was talking about in the next post.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 05:50 PM
JB had the highest ERA of any pitcher with that many IPs in the game and you think he screwed up? you really don't have a clue in what we are talking about....uh

oldcomiskey
10-04-2001, 06:38 PM
jerry I made my post before reading your answer to mine--but he gets Glover for a washed up at an early age Scott Eire---Boomer for Siro we dont know about yett-and a great prospect in Ramirez for Abbott----but he did screw up the whole thang with Clayton

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 06:49 PM
jerry I made my post before reading your answer to mine--but he gets Glover for a washed up at an early age Scott Eire--- did kw do this trade? i thought it was schu.

the way the boomer siro played out, it did make kw look kind of guilty..... and then the la deal, where he got fleeced.... look very amateurish..........

Jerry_Manuel
10-04-2001, 06:50 PM
jerry I made my post before reading your answer to mine--but he gets Glover for a washed up at an early age Scott Eire---Boomer for Siro we dont know about yett-and a great prospect in Ramirez for Abbott----but he did screw up the whole thang with Clayton

He has made some good minor trades. All we can say for now is that the jury is still out on what he can do. This offseason should be really interesting. Wouldn't surprise me to see him try to swing a deal with LA now that Evans is the GM there. I have no idea who we would want from them but just saying it wouldn't shock me to see him deal with Evans.

oldcomiskey
10-04-2001, 06:52 PM
schu might have done that but Im almost positive it was KW--maybe Im wrong

CerberusWG
10-04-2001, 06:54 PM
Kw fudged one trade.

Bradford for Olivio

oldcomiskey
10-04-2001, 06:58 PM
I forgot about that --how is the Sox catcher of the future doing

Jerry_Manuel
10-04-2001, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
did kw do this trade? i thought it was schu.

11/07/00 Acquired pitcher Gary Glover from the Toronto Blue Jays for pitcher Scott Eyre; released infielder Craig Wilson.

Schu stepped down in October 2000

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 06:59 PM
schu might have done that but Im almost positive it was KW--maybe Im wrong you may be right, i just can't remember.

RichieRichAllen
10-04-2001, 07:02 PM
you really don't have a clue in what we are talking about....uh

Enlighten us, LDF. Unless, this is classified information, of course.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen

Enlighten us, LDF. Unless, this is classified information, of course. taking a comment from a previous conversation and trying to make a point is bush. try to read the whole sequence then you know what is being talked about. Enlighten yourself first.

oldcomiskey
10-04-2001, 07:06 PM
I think that was directed at me--I chose to ignore it

Jerry_Manuel
10-04-2001, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Kw fudged one trade.

Bradford for Olivio

Well it depends on how you look at it. Bradford has been up and down with the A's. Olivo appears to have the defense and his offense looks to be coming along well, now that the corked bat incident is behind him. Looking at our pen this year it would have been nice to have him in their. But next year would there be a spot for him?

Jerry_Manuel
10-04-2001, 07:09 PM
I think that was directed at me--I chose to ignore it

LDF was talking about your post when you said "JB had the highest ERA of any pitcher with that many IPs in the game and you think he screwed up?" when you posted this I posted my comment of "I was talking about the Berry-Barry thing".

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

LDF was talking about your post when you said "JB had the highest ERA of any pitcher with that many IPs in the game and you think he screwed up?" when you posted this I posted my comment of "I was talking about the Berry-Barry thing". bingo

RichieRichAllen
10-04-2001, 07:35 PM
taking a comment from a previous conversation and trying to make a point is bush. try to read the whole sequence then you know what is being talked about. Enlighten yourself first.

Pretty obvious that both Old Comiskey and myself didn't quite get the essence of your post, LDF. Thank God we have Jerry to translate.

Just read the sequence for the second time, and I think I'd ask the same question.

Are you just overly sensitive or should I be in awe of your post size? If that's not your post size and translates into the size of something else.....impress the girls with it.

Moving on to Jerry......what was the "berry, barry" thing you were referring to?

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 07:38 PM

Are you just overly sensitive or should I be in awe of your post size? If that's not your post size and translates into the size of something else.....impress the girls with it.

Moving on to Jerry......what was the "berry, barry" thing you were referring to? ref the first question...... i am kind of lost, it must be, i just woke up, post size?

ref to berry etc... yes.

beausox
10-04-2001, 07:58 PM
KW did pull off the Eyre for Glover deal, it was his first trade as GM.

I like the Olivo for Bradford deal, we didn't need Chad and Olivo is our best catching prospect.

Daver
10-04-2001, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by beausox
KW did pull off the Eyre for Glover deal, it was his first trade as GM.

I like the Olivo for Bradford deal, we didn't need Chad and Olivo is our best catching prospect.

He is our ONLY catching prospect.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by daver

He is our ONLY catching prospect. what a way with word, but yeah you are right.

Jerry_Manuel
10-04-2001, 08:10 PM
Moving on to Jerry......what was the "berry, barry" thing you were referring to?

The trade for Baldwin.
Sox Got:
Onan Masaoka, Gary Majewski and outfielder Jeff Barry
LA Got:
Baldwin and $$$

Well when making the trade with the Dodgers Williams wrote down Jeff Berry who is a 32 year old outfielder. He thought he was getting Barry(I think his first name was Jon) a left handed pitcher. In the press release right after the trade was made Williams said something like "We really love Berry's arm" which was odd since he was an outfielder. He allowed the trade to stand as is and said he made a mistake.

RichieRichAllen
10-04-2001, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Well when making the trade with the Dodgers Williams wrote down Jeff Berry who is a 32 year old outfielder. He thought he was getting Barry(I think his first name was Jon) a left handed pitcher. In the press release right after the trade was made Williams said something like "We really love Berry's arm" which was odd since he was an outfielder. He allowed the trade to stand as is and said he made a mistake.

Ouch! Some GMs jobs might be in serious jeopardy for a stupid mistake like that one. Fortunately, we have such kind and forgiving patriarchs running the show here.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 09:34 PM

Ouch! Some GMs jobs might be in serious jeopardy for a stupid mistake like that one. Fortunately, we have such kind and forgiving patriarchs running the show here. you mean you never heard of this.