PDA

View Full Version : White Sox and Red Sox from a National perspective.

Dice
08-21-2004, 08:21 PM
When I saw some of the game today on Fox I thought that I heard someone refer to the Red Sox as 'Sox' and the White Sox as 'Chicago'.

Also, I'm currently flicking between the Bears vs 49ers on WCIU and Jets vs Colts on ESPN and during the game they were advertising the Sunday Night Game of the week in Red Sox vs White Sox. One of the football analysis, Joe Theisman, referred to the Red Sox as the 'Sox' and the White Sox as 'Chicago'.

I guess the White Sox gets no respect. Well, I guess the way we've been playing do we deserve any?:(:

The Wimperoo
08-21-2004, 10:21 PM
When I saw some of the game today on Fox I thought that I heard someone refer to the Red Sox as 'Sox' and the White Sox as 'Chicago'.

Also, I'm currently flicking between the Bears vs 49ers on WCIU and Jets vs Colts on ESPN and during the game they were advertising the Sunday Night Game of the week in Red Sox vs White Sox. One of the football analysis, Joe Theisman, referred to the Red Sox as the 'Sox' and the White Sox as 'Chicago'.

I guess the White Sox gets no respect. Well, I guess the way we've been playing do we deserve any?:(:
Its the way it is around the country. The Red Sox are the 'Sox', not the White Sox. I don't think most people around the country with the exception of Sox fans call us the 'Sox'. That title is left for the Red Sox. And don't even get into that discussion with a Red Sox fan, you will get flamed like no other.

Viva Magglio
08-21-2004, 11:37 PM

Theisman is a dork. Do you know that when he was at Notre Dame, he changed the pronuncation of his name so that it rhymes with Heisman?

skobabe8
08-22-2004, 02:01 AM
Its the way it is around the country. The Red Sox are the 'Sox', not the White Sox. I don't think most people around the country with the exception of Sox fans call us the 'Sox'. That title is left for the Red Sox. And don't even get into that discussion with a Red Sox fan, you will get flamed like no other.
Weren't we the 'sox' first??????

bigfoot
08-22-2004, 03:19 AM
Come on! You don't think that Faux Sports would be in Chicago if the Red Sawks weren't involved, do you? When it's Boston vs NY, are there any other teams in the country? Will that White Sox/KC battle be televised? Now that being telecast nationally would be worthy of something on Faux News!
Sex!Scandal!Conspiracy! 'We Hype, You decide!'

illiniwhitesox
08-22-2004, 06:46 AM
Theisman is a dork. Do you know that when he was at Notre Dame, he changed the pronuncation of his name so that it rhymes with Heisman?
He also criticized Jim McMahon for not setting a good example for kids. McMahon later ripped him as his wife filed for divorce, with infidelity being one of the charges levied against him.

Still think one of the funniest Letterman skits was his new product idea for a Joe Theisman pencil sharpner. The pencil sharpner was made to look like Theisman, you put in a pencil and cranked his ankle around in a circle.

santo=dorf
08-22-2004, 12:06 PM

I disagree. I think it's more of a regional thing. There was a big discussion of it on one of the MLB boards awhile back, and fans of the AL east teams say the Sox are Red, and AL Central fans say the Sox are white. I would guess that it's a toss up in the west considering the Sox used to play in the AL West, and the large Sox fan community witnessed last summer in the Dodger series which I think is due to the Gangsta rap fashion back in the early 90's when our Sox had the best selling merchandise of all the teams.

StepsInSC
08-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Its all just a matter of popularity. So of course your average Joe will think of the Red Sox before the White Sox.

Its the same thing with Clemson and LSU's stadiums both being called Death Valley, even though Clemson is the real death valley. :D:

spongyfungy
08-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Anyone watch the video montage before the ESPN game? It was all about the Red Sox slumping and sudden rise to glory. Not even a word for our team. They mentioned the Cubs more than the White Sox. :mad:

white sox bill
08-23-2004, 06:16 AM
Anyone watch the video montage before the ESPN game? It was all about the Red Sox slumping and sudden rise to glory. Not even a word for our team. They mentioned the Cubs more than the White Sox. :mad:
I noticed as well...if we all didn't know our beloved Sox were playing Bosox, a viewer wouldn't have had a clue as to who Boston was playing!

hsnterprize
08-23-2004, 07:07 AM
I noticed as well...if we all didn't know our beloved Sox were playing Bosox, a viewer wouldn't have had a clue as to who Boston was playing! I got so tired of the Boston bias in that broadcast last night. It seemed like last night's game was the Boston Red Sox Game of the Week, but it was ESPN instead of NESN. Now granted the White Sox lost the game, but it was WAY TOO BOSTON BIASED for my taste.

Even BBTN before the game seemed to be more of a love fest with the Red Sox rather than a supposed "fair" analysis of all the teams in baseball. I also heard some "somewhat positive" comments about the Cell from Joe Morgan and Jon Miller. They talked about the upper deck renovations, and Morgan said he "likes the ballpark now." I don't remember all the conversation about the place, but it seemed to be positive...as if that really matter right now...

yeah, it's a beautiful ballpark, but the team that calls it home sucks worse than my vacuum cleaner.

JDP
08-23-2004, 07:28 AM
That should be Boyer's next ad campaign: comparing the history of the "Sox" franchising, showing that the White Sox were first, and end off with some catchy quip about "..being the first "Sox" in this country."

hsnterprize
08-23-2004, 07:43 AM
That should be Boyer's next ad campaign: comparing the history of the "Sox" franchising, showing that the White Sox were first, and end off with some catchy quip about "..being the first "Sox" in this country."Brooks has a HUGE mountain to climb as far as national perception is concerned. Granted, he's done an EXCELLENT job in making the Sox more noticible here in Chicago, he'll have a fight on his hands as far as changing the all-too-often negative stigmas associated with our pale hose. From the Black Sox Scandal to William Ligue, there's no mistaking there are too many people who think negatively about the White Sox...that is if they even think about them at all.

Changing perceptions about our team and the fans should be priority ONE for Brooks and the rest of the White Sox Marketing team. He should make sure to put out the point that not everyone in Chicago is a Cubs fan. They're more popular, but they're not the only baseball ticket in this big city. It'll be a tough road to hoe, but I'm confident he and the rest of his team can do it.

Now putting a winning team on the field where it counts the most...that's a different story. Even Brooks says over and over again that's out of his hands.

thepaulbowski
08-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Brooks has a HUGE mountain to climb as far as national perception is concerned. Granted, he's done an EXCELLENT job in making the Sox more noticible here in Chicago, he'll have a fight on his hands as far as changing the all-too-often negative stigmas associated with our pale hose. From the Black Sox Scandal to William Ligue, there's no mistaking there are too many people who think negatively about the White Sox...that is if they even think about them at all.

Changing perceptions about our team and the fans should be priority ONE for Brooks and the rest of the White Sox Marketing team. He should make sure to put out the point that not everyone in Chicago is a Cubs fan. They're more popular, but they're not the only baseball ticket in this big city. It'll be a tough road to hoe, but I'm confident he and the rest of his team can do it.

Now putting a winning team on the field where it counts the most...that's a different story. Even Brooks says over and over again that's out of his hands. He just needs to worry about putting butts in the seats. If he does that & the team wins...these problems will take care of themselves. Winning solves all problems.

mcfish
08-23-2004, 10:10 AM
The White Sox are playing very badly. Why would ESPN do a montage before the game of a team that hasn't had a month over .500 since May? We're not getting slighted here, we suck. There are many reasons, biggest of all being that we lost our 2 best hitters, but the bottom line remains the same. We aren't a good team.

Anyone on the east coast, especially people from New York or Boston, will call the other Sox just that. Why would they give the nickname to a team they see 6 times a year? And, surprise! There are a lot of people in New York, Boston, and the rest of the east coast. And most of the media is based there. Which team do you think they're going to call Sox?