PDA

View Full Version : An interesting fact

batmanZoSo
08-21-2004, 08:05 PM
I'd just like to state, if it hasn't been already, that Rowand carries a higher slugging and on base percentage than Carlos Lee. He's also higher than Paul Konerko and even above where Thomas left off in slugging. That's just amazing.

Rowand .367 .569
Konerko .363 .537
Lee .358 .518

I think this shows you how overrated Lee and Konerko are with their home runs. A stat geek would conclude that Rowand is in fact the best hitter on the team, at least as of right now. But whatever the case, we have two guys making about 15 million and they're getting outhit by an alleged scrub. Perhaps we should get rid of them both, home runs be damned and upgrade our team speed, defense, and get a left handed bat in the process. What do you think? These guys don't bring much defensively and both are inconsistent (neither was to be found in April or May). I say we dump em both along with Maggs and just totally revamp this team.

We can get good prospects for both or work one or the other into a trade for a starting pitcher, whatever.

How about we then get a center fielder like Juan Pierre in a trade and put Rowand in left field, therebey increasing his value. In left, his range and arm become definite plusses whereas in center his range at least is below average. This is already a ten fold better defensive outfield and we've added one of the better leadoff guys in the game.

I think we're a better team and actually lowered the payroll by about 3 million. Then we still have Konerko's 8 million to spend in this idea. Add that to Valentin's 5 and Magglio's 14 and we can basically fill every conceivable hole on this team with good solid players, no superstars. We can afford to sign a Carl Pavano type in free agency, get two good middle relievers and a hopefully left handed hitting first baseman.

nodiggity59
08-21-2004, 09:39 PM
We can afford to sign a Carl Pavano type in free agency, get two good middle relievers and a hopefully left handed hitting first baseman.
I'm starting to think that "Carl Pavano" type SPs will be pricier than we thought. Almost every team's board I've been to supports getting a pitcher like that. If those types are pursued by as many teams as it appears, they won't come cheap at all.

Just an epiphany I had lol.

I agree w/ your plan, however, for the right deals.

batmanZoSo
08-22-2004, 10:49 AM
I'm starting to think that "Carl Pavano" type SPs will be pricier than we thought. Almost every team's board I've been to supports getting a pitcher like that. If those types are pursued by as many teams as it appears, they won't come cheap at all.

Just an epiphany I had lol.

I agree w/ your plan, however, for the right deals.
Whether it's free agency or trade, we have to get another guy. Another Freddy Garcia type...he's as good as Pavano and their salaries will probably be the same (9 million or so). I'm just saying one way to go is to trade Lee and Konerko for relievers and prospects, then have enough money to go into the FA market...or you use one or both to get that starter. And in this plan, we're not focusing on offense anyway, so I don't see any reason that we couldn't sign the best free agent pitcher out there.

NonetheLoaiza
08-22-2004, 10:58 AM
I am all for 'revamping' the team to an extent. It is either C Lee or Konerko I feel is going to be gone next year. However, I think it is highly unlikey that we would get Pierre from the Marlins. You have to not forget about salaries. No way Florida takes that on from either C Lee or Konerko.

batmanZoSo
08-22-2004, 11:02 AM
I am all for 'revamping' the team to an extent. It is either C Lee or Konerko I feel is going to be gone next year. However, I think it is highly unlikey that we would get Pierre from the Marlins. You have to not forget about salaries. No way Florida takes that on from either C Lee or Konerko.
I never said to trade Lee or anyone to the Marlins, just to pry Pierre from them in a trade. Maybe you use a prospect you acquired in the Lee trade and send him to Florida in part for getting Pierre. Give them Borchard, Diaz, Munoz, etc.

I'm for getting rid of both, not either or. If you really wanna shake things up and build a winner, that's how you do it.

balke
08-22-2004, 06:48 PM
I never said to trade Lee or anyone to the Marlins, just to pry Pierre from them in a trade. Maybe you use a prospect you acquired in the Lee trade and send him to Florida in part for getting Pierre. Give them Borchard, Diaz, Munoz, etc.

I'm for getting rid of both, not either or. If you really wanna shake things up and build a winner, that's how you do it.
Aren't the Marlins HIGHLY protective of Pierre? I thought last season all these teams went after him, and he was "untouchable" as Joe Borchard :?:

That is the kinda player we need. This team needs speed and D, no doubt. I like CLee on the team so I'd be a little thrown off by his leaving, but if Konerko goes... so be it. Career year in homeruns, barely 20 doubles... Stuck in cement at first too often.

Nard
08-22-2004, 06:51 PM
I wish the Caballo of the first half of the season would come back.

Who cares if he didn't hit a HR for, what was it, a couple months?

Mohoney
08-22-2004, 08:09 PM
And in this plan, we're not focusing on offense anyway, so I don't see any reason that we couldn't sign the best free agent pitcher out there.

Here is your reason
:reinsy

batmanZoSo
08-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Here is your reason
:reinsy
We'll see what happens. He's approved trades for guys like Garcia and Colon when we needed it. And our goal isn't really to increase the payroll, just clean house and restock the shelves. We could break even in payroll with a much better team that's completely revamped.